Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice and questions for buying/film

Options
  • 08-09-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

A thread for all things film-related.

Bring your questions, tips, tutorials, or your latest masterpieces. Beginners or grumpy old pros. All welcome.

Answers to questions that seem to pop up on a regular basis:

Best place to develop film
    John Gunn's on Wexford St., Dublin.

Best place to develop that 20-year old roll of film you found behind the sofa
    Gunn's again. They claim their record is 50 years.

Non-C41 film development (eg b&w film like Ilford)
    You guessed it... Gunn's.

Cheapest place to develop film (Dublin)
    Unicare / DocMartins Pharmacy, Northside Shopping Centre, Coolock. Costs about €3 per roll, developed and scanned to CD. Quality of the scans is decent. Example from the last roll they developed for me. But for the best results you should learn to do it yourself (or so I'm told...).

Online stores for all your film needs
    http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php?route=common/home
    http://shop.lomography.com/films (yes, I know, Lomography. But in amongst the overpriced toy cameras, they also sell some decent, cheap film )
    http://Ebay.ie
    http://adverts.ie Lots of bargains on film cameras and lenses

Scanning negatives with a DSLR
    Tutorial here: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/18/how-to-scan-film-negatives-with-a-dslr/ Warning: Some DIY skills required.

Will add more as and when I think of it. Sorry it's so Dublin-centric. That's where I live. Feel free to suggest alternatives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

In my quest for knowledge I would be happy to lurk in such a thread :)
    amdgilmore wrote: »
    Would anybody be interested in this? Might be nice to have one thread where people can share tips on developing, scanning, lenses, cameras, types of film, etc. Maybe share some pics and tutorials too.

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

abso-frickin-lutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I'm there, or here as it were...
    Sounds good, I've quite a few film cameras and would really like to learn a bit more about the art of film shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

And then they were four.

That's good enough for me. I'll update the first post at some point with links to relevant threads and tutorials and what not.

In the mean-time, can anybody recommend some good high-iso films? Black and white or colour.

We're moving from swinter to winter now and I don't think my stocks of iso 100 film are going to be much use to me.

Portra 800 is one. Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Ha! So much for being a lurker :D

Daughter #2 has just expressed her wish to take a film camera ( http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_Superzoom_115.htm ) to Italy. I've read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60514634&postcount=12 (among others) but I'm wondering if anyone has recent practical experience of transporting a few rolls of film back & forth? (It's a school trip Cork-Rome)

Not the end of the world if it's going to be too much trouble as she has a digital P&S but likes the Olympus as the film "looks nicer" and she wants to go "old school" :)

• Advertisement

I just brought a bunch of film through airport security as hand luggage. I took them out and showed them to the checkers and told them that I didn't want them to go through the scanners in case they were damaged.

They said fine, checked them by hand and gave them back to me.

That was in Dublin airport, where the security are generally pretty nice. I forgot to do it on the way back from Brussels, but the film didn't show any problems when developed.

The x-ray scanners used on carry-on luggage aren't that powerful so undeveloped film should be able to withstand a couple of trips through.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

vic20 wrote: »
    Ha! So much for being a lurker :D

Daughter #2 has just expressed her wish to take a film camera ( http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_Superzoom_115.htm ) to Italy. I've read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60514634&postcount=12 (among others) but I'm wondering if anyone has recent practical experience of transporting a few rolls of film back & forth? (It's a school trip Cork-Rome)

Not the end of the world if it's going to be too much trouble as she has a digital P&S but likes the Olympus as the film "looks nicer" and she wants to go "old school" :)

Don't worry about your film going through the scanners with your carry on bags, it will be fine.

And then they were four.

That's good enough for me. I'll update the first post at some point with links to relevant threads and tutorials and what not.

In the mean-time, can anybody recommend some good high-iso films? Black and white or colour.

We're moving from swinter to winter now and I don't think my stocks of iso 100 film are going to be much use to me.

Portra 800 is one. Anything else?

There is also Fuji Superia Extra 800 which is cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

delta 3200. forgiving on slight focus errors, and flattering on skin tones. good in low light too, obviously...

Thanks, guys. Will check those out.

Neither of my cameras actually goes to 3200, unfortunately! But from a quick google it seems shooting it at 1600 isn't a problem.

While googling that I found this example of Neopan 400 pushed to 1600. Not bad at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plasticjack/3053404626/sizes/o/

• Advertisement

Neither of my cameras actually goes to 3200, unfortunately! But from a quick google it seems shooting it at 1600 isn't a

it's true speed is around 1000/1200 ISO. If you want to use it at 3200 then set your camera to 1600 and under expose by one stop.

Tri-X is regarded as a good film for pushing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my OM1n, which is the body i usually shoot b&w on, only goes to 1600; but the needle exposure meter in the viewfinder is easy enough to read to a stop under or over, so as above, i set it to 1600 and underexpose.

First post updated with some basic info and answers. If anybody disagrees or thinks anything else should be added, let me know.

Where are folks buying their film?

Any bargains going? I'm looking for some cheap rolls for multiple exposures... I don't want to waste my limited stock of Portra and Ektar on something like that.

Oh and speaking of bargains, I just bought a 500N for €10 in Camera Exchange! Not the greatest SLR, but I needed something that could reliably do multiple exposures and was compatible with my lenses.

It's a 50E that I really want...

you can get a 5 pack of fuji 200 in boots. cheap & cheerful.

Sounds good. I'll check it out.

we have decided to split the tech threads into different threads, as it was a bit difficult to find info in the one large thread. think needle in a haystack!

this thread is for all questions relating to FILM cameras of any brand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Delighted, the photo society in my new university has a dark room. Will finally get a chance to try and develop prints myself. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For everything film related

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

• Advertisement

are there any decent places in north county dublin to get film developed (& printed) ? don't really fancy a trip all the way into the city centre a few times..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 StephenMac13

Hi, does anyone know of any stores that sell film camera's in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

http://www.johngunn.ie/
    Hi, does anyone know of any stores that sell film camera's in Dublin?

Also, Camera Exchange on George's St.

Pretty good selection in there, actually, but at this time of year the students will probably have beaten you to most of the good cameras.

@dirtyghettokid - Don't know re: places to develop on the North Side. Tink yer too bleedin' good fer de one in Coolock do ya? Jaysus.

@dirtyghettokid - Don't know re: places to develop on the North Side. Tink yer too bleedin' good fer de one in Coolock do ya? Jaysus.

i said north county, not city ;)
    it's alright anyway, there's something wrong with the camera, and i can't rewind the film :( so won't be taking it in just yet.

Do any of you wonderful, smart people know anything about medium format?

I'm thinking about picking up a 6x6 or 6x7 camera, but outside of the very famous (and very expensive) brands I'm a bit lost.

I want something with a decent 80mm lens that has TTL metering and multiple exposures. Preferably in the 250 or less ballpark. I love the giant SLR form factor too, like the Pentax 67:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ar-her-kuo/7495208852/

Any suggestions for something similar but cheaper? I'd take a box or twin lens too, as long as it fit the price/feature requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Do any of you wonderful, smart people know anything about medium format?

I'm thinking about picking up a 6x6 or 6x7 camera, but outside of the very famous (and very expensive) brands I'm a bit lost.

I want something with a decent 80mm lens that has TTL metering and multiple exposures. Preferably in the 250 or less ballpark. I love the giant SLR form factor too, like the Pentax 67:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ar-her-kuo/7495208852/

Your big bugbear there is TTL metering. Almost no medium format cameras do it natively, most of the system cameras have metered prisms that you can attach but they typically add hugely to the weight and form factor of the camera. I have a Bronica SQ-ai, it's nice and light with the WLF and an 80mm, about the same size as a hasselblad but significantly cheaper, particularly for the lenses. With the prism and speed grip attached though it seems enormous and cumbersome.

I can't imagine what an RB or RZ would be like with a prism attached :-D

Some of the TLRs and rangefinders have metering cells located on the body, Yashica Mat 124 for example, or the various fuji rangefinders, but they'll cost you.

Get used to the idea of using an external meter and your options open up pretty widely. At that point it's all down to option paralysis. Pick what you want (rangefinder, folder, SLR, TLR, box) and start reading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Have a few questions.

Best place near the Naas area? There is a shop on the mainstreet which has produced mixed results for me.

Is there any companies that leave those envelopes at shops . Do you remember the likes of TruePrint. You got them in the door or picked the up in the chemist. Popped your roll and money in the addressed envelope and got your pics back a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

You can pick up a kiev 88cm kit sometimes for around the money you mentioned. There is a ttl metered prism finder for it too - mine has been very accurate in use. The biometar 80mm f2.8 is a class lens.

If you are buying on eBay, make sure you get one that has been looked over/serviced by decent techs. Also make sure it's Pentacon 6 mount, and has the NT back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

chisel wrote: »
    You can pick up a kiev 88cm kit sometimes for around the money you mentioned. There is a ttl metered prism finder for it too - mine has been very accurate in use. The biometar 80mm f2.8 is a class lens.

If you are buying on eBay, make sure you get one that has been looked over/serviced by decent techs. Also make sure it's Pentacon 6 mount, and has the NT back.

I wouldn't touch a kiev with a bargepole. Too many bad stories. For about that price you'd get a bronica SQ/a/i with a WLF and an 80mm. Much more dependable.

Advertisement