Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 92...almost 20 years ago!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So its more of a twenty first birthday sort of thing? Wahey!

So i should buy some snes games...you know as a present for the old girl :)

You know what, that's good enough! 21st it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Used to do that with my mates , rented a jap snes and import copy of sf2 and played it solidly gor 72 hours ( this was waay before its pal release.
    I think xmas 92 was the year we got a megadrive , and funnily enough it was a pal asian model!

Exact same here,Used to Rent imported SNES of this dude in the terenure enterprise centre.
    Also I then got an Asian MD too for chrimbo...And SF champo edition was one of the first games to be chipped to stop piracy so it couldn't be played on Asian MD.
    Next christmas I got the pal MD for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Christmas 92 = 220px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_Coverart.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'm fairly sure I got the Super Scope for my snes, funnily enough I remember playing it before xmas and don't really remember playing it much after, maybe it was the lack of games available
    jPqQEmDdUU5e9_e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jhegarty wrote: »
    Christmas 92 = 220px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_Coverart.png

Poor chap, it should have been this

250px-Sonic2_European_Box.jpg

• Advertisement

Exact same here,Used to Rent imported SNES of this dude in the terenure enterprise centre.

This thread should be renamed "The old fart game reminiscing thread", Lol.

Yeah, renting consoles because you were too po to buy them. I remember it well. Before i owned one we used to rent a SNES and 5 or 10 games from a local place that was on the site of what's now the Dundrum shopping centre and use an action replay to clear them all with infinite lives over a weekend. My favourite arcade AND that shop are both buried under that place. There's a lot of gaming history there :D

*puts on a thick Yorkshire accent* I remember when all that were nowt but fields. Nowt but fields i tell thee. ;)

Seriously though, It's amazing to think of the money that we pumped into games which are now more or less freely available to anyone with an internet connection. Those carts were 40 or 50 Irish pounds in the old money :D.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Poor chap, it should have been this

Sonic 2 is still a high water mark in terms of quality of games on the mega drive. I had a SNES, and the bro had a mega drive back in 92-93, and we were always at each other about which was better, in typical sibling rivalry fashion. I always thought the SNES game library was streets ahead of 90% of what was on the MD, and looking at the games now without rose tinted glasses, i still think i was right. The sonic series and a handful of other games aside, i don't think there was much on the MD that measured up to the standard of the SNES games, particularly the first party platform exclusive titles.
    I'm fairly sure I got the Super Scope for my snes, funnily enough I remember playing it before xmas and don't really remember playing it much after, maybe it was the lack of games available

I remember i thought it was sh*te too. I had gotten the NES pack with the light gun and duck hunt/mario brothers, and loved it, and going from a cool sleek looking pistol light gun to a big bazooka type yoke on the SNES felt wierd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i don't think there was much on the MD that measured up to the standard of the SNES games, particularly the first party platform exclusive titles.

Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight adventures are as good as if not better than anything similar on the SNES.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight adventures are as good as if not better than anything similar on the SNES.

As are Alien Soldier, MUSHA, Thunderforce IV, Comix Zone, Ristar, X Men 2, Ranger X, Alisa Dragoon, Mercs, Eliminate Down, Gleylancer, Panorama Cotton, Beyond Oasis, Herzog Zwei, Pulseman (I could go on and on but I won't :pac:)

Wow, okay. I'll check those lists out, thanks. Some I've played but many i haven't. It would be nice to find a few more MD games i really love, there are not too many at the moment that can't be got on SNES too, and with better graphics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Used to do that with my mates , rented a jap snes and import copy of sf2 and played it solidly gor 72 hours ( this was waay before its pal release.
    I think xmas 92 was the year we got a megadrive , and funnily enough it was a pal asian model!

Also I then got an Asian MD too for chrimbo...And SF champo edition was one of the first games to be chipped to stop piracy so it couldn't be played on Asian MD.
    Next christmas I got the pal MD for that reason
    PES consoles in terenure , the guy that ran it ,Paul I think, was sound. And yeah thats where my HK meg came from.:)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Wow, okay. I'll check those lists out, thanks. Some I've played but many i haven't. It would be nice to find a few more MD games i really love, there are not too many at the moment that can't be got on SNES too, and with better graphics.

See here's the thing - most of the better Megadrive exclusives weren't pushed nearly as well as they should have been. :(

The above list of games I sent you features some from among the best from the 16 bit generation and a lot of people didn't play them.

Many assume that the Megadrive consists of Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Sonic and then all the shared games which are on it and the Snes (things like Desert Strike, all the Fifas etc)

Couldn't be further from the truth! :)

Also try out Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps. Both amazing too.

o1s1n wrote: »
    See here's the thing - most of the better Megadrive exclusives weren't pushed nearly as well as they should have been. :(

Yeah, SEGA probably concentrated a bit too much on going on about "blast processing" and sticking sonic on every ad they ever put out.
    The above list of games I sent you features some from among the best from the 16 bit generation and a lot of people didn't play them....Also try out Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps. Both amazing too.

Will do, thanks. 16 bit is my fave console gen, so it would be great to discover a few more classics. I'm currently working away through the cream of the crop that i never played on the snes. Still haven't decided if i'll play Super Metroid or chrono trigger next, and MegaMan X and SMB 3 are both due another paythrough.

It's mad to think that i had to wait 20 years to get the most out of that generation of games. There was no way i could have ever played all those titles you mentioned years ago. It would have cost a fortune. Hell, even buying enough videogame mags to learn about them all would have been expensive back before the interwebs was around.:D

Master of the Universe

Ooooh, Chrono Trigger or Super Metroid next...bloody impossible choice! They're by far two of my favourite Snes games. Throw in Zelda ALTTP and you have a holy trinity right there!

I am very envious, would love to be playing through them both again for the first time.

Then again, I have only played through Super Metroid once...! Should probably give it another go.

Ooooh, Chrono Trigger or Super Metroid next...bloody impossible choice! They're by far two of my favourite Snes games. Throw in Zelda ALTTP and you have a holy trinity right there!

I am very envious, would love to be playing through them both again for the first time..

I've just completed LTTP, or 99% of it anyway. Not for the first time, but it was years since I'd done it. I've got all the heart pieces and upgraded all my gear, even the sneaky stuff like chucking boomerangs and swords at fat fairies etc, and and I'm part way through the last dungeon. I just have Ganon's ass to kick now and it's all done. Have been meaning to get back to it for ages.

I think i'm gonna go with Metroid next. It seems like one of those games that reveals more and more of itself to you as you advance and gain new abilities, and you find yourself re-tracking over old areas but looking at them in a completely new way. I love that in games, and it's quite rare to see it pulled off really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also try out Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps. Both amazing too.

Oh definitely do this as well, Bloodlines is fantastic and Hard Corp is my favourite Contra.

Also Phantasy Star IV is a better RPG than anything on the SNES.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

No Megadrive (that followed for my birthday the following year), but i did wake up to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Still the best Christmas present ever!
    Super Mario Brothers 3! I got that for my birthday! Legend game. But I remember it was £54. That was some crazy price for 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

ಠ_ಠ

DinoRex wrote: »
    ಠ_ಠ

It's really good, way ahead of it's time. It has anime cutscenes, a great battle system and really good story that Square tried to rip off in a lot of places with FFVII.

The SNES has a tonne of amazing RPGs while the megadrive only has a few but I think Phantasy Star IV is a real standout. It's debatable whether PSIV is better than Chrono Trigger or FFVI but I think it's better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

As are Alien Soldier, MUSHA, Thunderforce IV, Comix Zone, Ristar, X Men 2, Ranger X, Alisa Dragoon, Mercs, Eliminate Down, Gleylancer, Panorama Cotton, Beyond Oasis, Herzog Zwei, Pulseman (I could go on and on but I won't :pac:)

..add Starflight, Granada and Gynog and to that list!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eb6.jpg?1307463786

• Advertisement

Have you honestly played Phantasy Star IV??? It's incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, no I haven't, I'll pop it onto my "must play someday" list, but it's a real long list and it has to take it's turn....

Master of the Universe

I have it. Had Enternow replace the battery. Started in, was really enjoying it, then got distracted and forgot to go back :(

I'll make a point of doing so if you reckon it's better than every other SNES RPG...?

Well worth a play. The first three games in the series are equal parts archaic and ahead of their time. Phantasy Star IV modernises it. Be warned though, Phantasy Star is nothing like light hearted JRPGs. It's more in line with the Shin Megami Tensei series in terms of gameplay and tone. It's quite a serious and depressing sci-fi story.

Advertisement