Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 92...almost 20 years ago!

Options
  • 27-09-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Any of you guys here get a console on Christmas morning 1992?

I just realized that this Christmas will be the 20 year anniversary of when I woke up to find a Megadrive hooked up to the TV downstairs! :eek:

Will have to do something to mark the occasion. Buy a CIB Megadrive and open it up on Christmas morning???

Has to be done!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »

I just realized that this Christmas will be the 20 year anniversary of when I woke up to find a Megadrive hooked up to the TV downstairs! :eek:

Will have to do something to mark the occasion. Buy a CIB Megadrive and open it up on Christmas morning???

Has to be done!!

The closest I got to have a MegaDrive back them was renting one out from the local video shop with Sonic and Castle of Illusion.

We were a computer house back then, Amstrad and then Amiga's.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We were a broke household back then - my mam managed to buy the console on higher purchase and then pay it off weekly.

Different times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Has to be done!!

Foul!

So very foul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

I was -2 then. :D

Got a PS2 in about '02 though.

• Advertisement

We were a broke household back then - my mam managed to buy the console on higher purchase and then pay it off weekly.

Different times! :D

Everyone was broke back then :)
    I probably enjoyed games more back then when I had about 4 in total.

I remember typing the basic code from magazines and books to make my own games and then modifying that code a little to see what happens. Probably the start of my nerd powers around that time.

Master of the Universe

Heh, fair play for you having the patience to input code - we could barely wait for tapes to load without getting bored and pissed off :D

In my defense, I was only about 4 or 5 when we were playing with speccys!

Right, factory sealed Megadrive 1s seem to be harder to come by than I thought.

I might just pick up one of the PAL Asian models as they're unopened (and reasonably priced).

Just looking for that factory new experience!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BOXED-SEGA-GENESIS-MEGA-DRIVE-2-CONSOLE-/170910224223?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item27cb0b0f5f&_uhb=1#ht_5827wt_952

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We got our uncle's old Megadrive for Christmas 92 IIRC,he was emigrating to Boston, so my Mum bought it off him for us.He had Streets of Rage,Sonic and the first Fifa game where you could run away from the referee.

That was back in the days when money was tight,so we didn't ask for anything for Christmas,we just got ''surprises''.Waking up that morning and finding that Megadrive was a great surprise!

Heh, fair play for you having the patience to input code - we could barely wait for tapes to load without getting bored and pissed off :D

In my defense, I was only about 4 or 5 when we were playing with speccys!

Right, factory sealed Megadrive 1s seem to be harder to come by than I thought.

I might just pick up one of the PAL Asian models as they're unopened (and reasonably priced).

Just looking for that factory new experience!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BOXED-SEGA-GENESIS-MEGA-DRIVE-2-CONSOLE-/170910224223?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item27cb0b0f5f&_uhb=1#ht_5827wt_952

What's the downside of those Asian megadrives?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I watched jealously as every kid I knew that didn't get a SNES or MEgadrive the year got either a SNES or a Megadrive and I felt even more alienated. The worst was watching gamesmaster and seeing the hype about stuff like Sonic 2 and being excited for them but never getting to actually play them.

Took another year before I eventually got a Megadrive and could put away the Commodore 64.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They're asian, but they're PAL asian. So 100% compatible out of the box with our TVs, just they'll suffer PAL slowdown.

Could always be modded though. Still a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Think it was 91 that I got my Amiga.

Was the Cartoon Classics pack:

DSC03959.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

No Megadrive (that followed for my birthday the following year), but i did wake up to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Still the best Christmas present ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was 20!
    I had already had a Speccy, C64, Gameboy and Megadrive.
    By Christmas '92 I had already gotten myself a Snes that summer, at launch.
    So, no, no console for me in '92.

I flip flopped between MD and Snes until '94 when I bought upgraded to a 3DO!

And then accepted reality later and bought a PS at launch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Was in college in '92. We used to rent a SNES and spend all nighters on it to get the best value out of it :)

Certainly more entertaining then the VAX in college !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Was in college in '92. We used to rent a SNES and spend all nighters on it to get the best value out of it :)

Certainly more entertaining then the VAX in college !!
    Used to do that with my mates , rented a jap snes and import copy of sf2 and played it solidly gor 72 hours ( this was waay before its pal release.
    I think xmas 92 was the year we got a megadrive , and funnily enough it was a pal asian model!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Don't recall what I got in 1992. I got the Mega Drive for Xmas the year before. I used to rent and swap a bajillion games so I was never that concerned with buying new ones. I went from being a bit on the antisocial side to knowing every kid in a 5 mile radius. Used be swapping carts with lads in their 20's who were neighbours of kids I knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Don't recall what I got in 1992. I got the Mega Drive for Xmas the year before. I used to rent and swap a bajillion games so I was never that concerned with buying new ones. I went from being a bit on the antisocial side to knowing every kid in a 5 mile radius. Used be swapping carts with lads in their 20's who were neighbours of kids I knew.

This is the thing that some folk seem to miss about games - it gave otherwise antisocial kids a common hobby to talk about and helped bring them out of their shells.

I might have been a bit crap at football, but i could clear Street Fighter 2 on its '7' difficulty without loosing a round, was practically a local celibrity! :D

For xmas '92 I think I would have gotten the Action Replay MK III cartridge for my Amiga.

actionmkiii_500_1_sm.jpg

Loved that thing SO MUCH!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn, running out of consoles to collect, now you lot have me thinking of getting an Amiga, ST and the rest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Was lucky enough to get a Megadrive at Christmas '91, complete with Sonic which the entire family agreed was the most incredible thing they'd ever seen.

Remember being hooked by the ad of the guy in the special chair in the back of a truck and he was playing every game on the system at once (or that's how I remember it) then pestering the parents for about 3 months coming up to Chrimbo.

Sonic 2 and Ecco were Christmas 92 I think.

I got one of these, and promptly disappeared into my bedroom until January.

IMG_5447.jpg

Still my fave Christmas present ever, along with a tomytronic 3D binoculars type electronic tanks shooting aliens game in 1986.
    The SNES is long gone, but i still have the tomytronic :D

Master of the Universe

Hmm, mentioned this to the mother and she's convinced we got the Megadrive Christmas 91. Apparently they bought it because my sisters were to be born in June 92, so they didn't want me to feel neglected :eek:

Argh, can't believe I missed the 20 year mark last year!

Hmm, mentioned this to the mother and she's convinced we got the Megadrive Christmas 91. Apparently they bought it because my sisters were to be born in June 92, so they didn't want me to feel neglected :eek:

Argh, can't believe I missed the 20 year mark last year!

So all this nostalgic recollecting has been for naught! Damn you and your faulty memory.
    I'm editing out my contributions to this thread because of this foul cock-up.:mad:

Master of the Universe

I know, I feel like such a fraud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So its more of a twenty first birthday sort of thing? Wahey!

So i should buy some snes games...you know as a present for the old girl :)

'92, a good year for gaming, you had Gamesworld on Sky as well, 5 nights of 5 different shows, wasn't it?
    Big Boy Barry FTW!

Better than Gamezville anyway, but then, a kick in the testicles is better than Gamezville...
    I give that show.... 0 G's!

Yep. Gamesworld was great. One of David Walliams first appearances was on the Big Boy Barry show.

The brilliant Bob Mills presented the standard version of the show with head to head competitions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I used to watch the Super Mario Challenge on my lunch break from school everyday.. loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks, it was just coming up as a white box when i did it. anyways, the guy who hosted that was brilliant.

Advertisement