Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU shutting down the airports next week!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Read it again, rolling closures not full closing. Delays may be had, but at least you know about it days in advance.

Oh, that makes it all better then.

If you'd planned a holiday for a year in advance, then these selfish prats cause a delay that makes you miss the trip, you wouldn't be pissed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Much as I agree with unions in principal, these are a shower of self-righteous prícks.
    People work long and hard to pay for holidays at the min, scrimping and saving and booking annual leave months in advance. Then they get it messed up by the likes of these asshats.
    They've no consideration for the average joe, and love holding the public to ransom.
    My parents are due home for a holiday next week, I swear I'll lose my marbles if they're affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The situation is not exactly as portrayed in the meejah. Not all Aer Lingus and DAA are involved in this pension scheme so not all will be doing the work stoppage. There will be rolling stoppages throughout the day. The effected workers HAD to pay into this mandatory scheme and have been doing so for decades. The companies decide unilaterally to stop contributing and now turns out there is fook all in the pot with workers having lost big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

hmmm wrote: »
    Taxpayers own the DAA and are being asked by SIPTU to pay for the pensions of these workers. No, pay for your own pension in the same way as I have to pay for mine.

My company pays large contributions, into my pension (that I also pay into). I can tell you one thing, if they tried to withdraw this I would be calling for strike action. F**k that, it is part of your salary that they would be taking.

remember lads, any "allowance" or "entitlement" that a company removes is an effective way of cutting your salary, without you feeling immediate pain.
    Every euro less in an allowance is a euro more than you have to pay, out of your own pocket.

Do I agree with a lot of allowances? No, especially in the PS but the simple fact is ecpect people to fight to keep them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Stand up, damned of the Earth
    Stand up, prisoners of starvation
    Reason thunders in its volcano
    This is the eruption of the end.
    Of the past let us make a clean slate
    Enslaved masses, stand up, stand up.
    The world is about to change its foundation
    We are nothing, let us be all.
    |: This is the final struggle
    Let us group together, and tomorrow
    The Internationale
    Will be the human race. :|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Bloody unions:mad:, I think its high time they called it a day and f@cked off into the wild blue yonder. There is enough employment law in place to protect the worker nowadays and I think the only people the unions are helping are themselves.

I've talked to quite a few people over the years who've found their unions less than useless when they needed them. Fecking hate unions:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am going on Honeymoon in just under 2 weeks
    I haven't taken any leave in 6 months to be able to scrape the days together

If anyone fcuks this up, no matter how valid their complaint I will go all Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2 on the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The situation is not exactly as portrayed in the meejah. Not all Aer Lingus and DAA are involved in this pension scheme so not all will be doing the work stoppage. There will be rolling stoppages throughout the day. The effected workers HAD to pay into this mandatory scheme and have been doing so for decades. The companies decide unilaterally to stop contributing and now turns out there is fook all in the pot with workers having lost big money.
    My company pays large contributions, into my pension (that I also pay into). I can tell you one thing, if they tried to withdraw this I would be calling for strike action. F**k that, it is part of your salary that they would be taking.

remember lads, any "allowance" or "entitlement" that a company removes is an effective way of cutting your salary, without you feeling immediate pain.
    Every euro less in an allowance is a euro more than you have to pay, out of your own pocket.

Do I agree with a lot of allowances? No, especially in the PS but the simple fact is ecpect people to fight to keep them

I pay into my personal pension, have been for 20 years, im self employed I can no longer afford to pay into my pension, my pension has also fallen dramatically in value.

What do I do? do i down tools and piss off my customers ? the very people that i need to survive ? no i graft a bit more and keep going.

I recognise what norrie says that every cut affects you and you shouldnt give them up easy, but at the same time you cant piss off your customers .

Bloody unions:mad:, I think its high time they called it a day and f@cked off into the wild blue yonder. There is enough employment law in place to protect the worker nowadays and I think the only people the unions are helping are themselves.

I've talked to quite a few people over the years who've found their unions less than useless when they needed them. Fecking hate unions:mad:

I dislike unions at the best of times but they are a necessary evil.

Let's get rid of unions? OK let's think about this. Nothing but basic redundancy payments, allowances cut at the whim of a board meeting, sick pay reduced/removed, overtime pay reduced/removed, subsidised lunches gone etc.

Think about all that you take for granted, at work, and then think how easy it would be for a large company to remove those, if they had no opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The theory is all well and good, that they protect workers from explotation, unsustainable low wages and being made to do dangerous work.

However, today we have minimum wage, health and safety laws and a whole other range of labour and employment laws to protect workers.

Unions have become nothing more than parasitical organisations that need the wages of workers to fund their own employees wages. Its a buiness that is living inside another business and not contributing. They make all kinds of political style promises that they are not obliged to keep in any way. People pay because like insurance fear is a great motivator.

And they have the cheek to threaten to damage our economy and undermine our critical travel infratsructure and tourist industry. Who do these scum bags think they are?

Dont expect a drop of sympathy off the public after these acts of economic vandalism.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    I pay into my personal pension, have been for 20 years, im self employed I can no longer afford to pay into my pension, my pension has also fallen dramatically in value.

What do I do? do i down tools and piss off my customers ? the very people that i need to survive ? no i graft a bit more and keep going.

I recognise what norrie says that every cut affects you and you shouldnt give them up easy, but at the same time you cant piss off your customers .

They are not the workers customers, they are the company's customers.
    The workers only weapon, unfortnate but true, is always the company's customers. That is true in any/all strike actions.

I do not have a choice but to pay into the pension fund here. The company takes it directly, from my salary. The bonus is that they also contribute, to the fund and have committed to paying and drop in the fund.
    This is an integral part of my work conditions and I would be out that gate on the picket line if they decided to change that arrangement (especially if thefund was depleted when they do so). That is a slimey move

I have a private pension, and work in the private sector.
    along with thousands of others, my pension is also worth less than i paid into it.
    Unfortunately, I am not in the happy position to be able to hold a gun at the head of my employer. I do not expect the taxpayer to pay my pension.
    Siptu look after their members, and screw everyone else.
    • Unfortunately, I am not in the happy position to be able to hold a gun at the head of my employer.
    What if you had it in your contract that they did have to look afterm your pension, as it was a company administrated pension?
    My company manages our fund, they also made a hell of a lot of profit from it, through its investments, during the boom.
    Now that it is not making money they should not be allowed to force that onto the workers.
    • Siptu look after their members, and screw everyone else
    Why would they look after anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Hate the unions, these public sector fools, they really don't know how lucky they are, the real cuts will come in and they will look back at 2012 as Halcyon days.
    We're nowhere near the bottom, Croke Park will be abolished by next govt. and the IMF will put half these leeches out of work.
    Pity they can't see this and preempt it but they are in it for what they can get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

df1985 wrote: »
    It really is horrible. People are going on holidays, business trips, honeymoons and the likes yes. But you also have people rushing to see sick relatives, coming home for funerals etc.

My dad passed away in San Fran and we had to get him home. Can you imagine an air strike in that situation....

Exactly. Airport/airline workers should be banned from going on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's a pity Reagan isn't our Taoiseach or he'd sack them all!!!

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Exactly. Airport/airline workers should be banned from going on strike.

Should you be banned from going on strike also?
    I mean you striking will have an effect of someone else and how their day goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

smash wrote: »
    SIPTU along with others should be forced by the courts to disband and close shop. Unions are a load of out dated bollox and they're corrupt to the core.

Agree with you re corruption, but unions are incredibly beneficial if you're getting screwed by the company you're working for. Happened to me some years ago, company and ourselves were at a standstill until we started talking to the unions. As soon as they heard this, they backed down. Saved us going through the courts (which most of us couldn't afford to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

If I 'went on strike', I'd be fired. Airport workers are providing an essential service. It's not just holidays in the sun, as someone else mentioned, people need to get home for funerals and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a bonus on top of wages, Irish people just don't seem to understand that if the money isn't there, it isn't there. Companies can't magic up money no matter how much people complain about it.

Passengers that have time on their hands in the airport can go out and form a counter "give siptu nothing" protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Or in the case of holiday goers, weeks and personal finances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Originally Posted by norrie rugger

You owe a lot of back tax so, if they are part of your wages

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Or in the case of holiday goers, weeks and personal finances.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Knock is still operating all flights, all ten that is.

Is the Knock to Sydney service still going?

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's a bonus on top of wages, Irish people just don't seem to understand that if the money isn't there, it isn't there. Companies can't magic up money no matter how much people complain about it.

Your take home pay is not the only part of your "Renumeration Package"
    Often a company will cut your pay/not give a pay rise but will offer shares or something beneficial to the employee, while meaning that the company keeps its cash flow under control. If the allowance is related to a specific set of circumstances then, of course, they should be revisited when circumstances change. However, if they are general allowances/benefits then they are part of the general renumeration and are just as worth fighting for as is take home pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They are not the workers customers, they are the company's customers.
    The workers only weapon, unfortnate but true, is always the company's customers. That is true in any/all strike actions.

I do not have a choice but to pay into the pension fund here. The company takes it directly, from my salary. The bonus is that they also contribute, to the fund and have committed to paying and drop in the fund.
    This is an integral part of my work conditions and I would be out that gate on the picket line if they decided to change that arrangement (especially if thefund was depleted when they do so). That is a slimey move

Sorry Norrie but you are way off the mark there, Without the customer there are no jobs, so while they may technically be the companies customers, they pay the wages of the workers. its never good practise to piss off the people that essentially pay you esp when the opposition is there to snap up the pissed off customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Strike OFF!

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/no-strike-dublin-airport-612582-Sep2012/
    SIPTU HAS WITHDRAWN its planned industrial action for this coming Monday following talks with the strike action committees of Aer Lingus and DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

If I 'went on strike', I'd be fired.

Don't be ridiculous...

Your right to strike is fully protected by the law. Lets not make stupid statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Let's get rid of unions? OK let's think about this. Nothing but basic redundancy payments, allowances cut at the whim of a board meeting, sick pay reduced/removed, overtime pay reduced/removed, subsidised lunches gone etc.

Think about all that you take for granted, at work, and then think how easy it would be for a large company to remove those, if they had no opposition

ah but thats what those who want the unions to close up shop or be made illegal/banned probably want though. because they suffer you should to. if the unions and strikes were banned this country would probably turn into a sweat shop or something near it as their would be nobody to protect workers. the guardai are banned from striking but if numbers wanting to go on strike were sufficient enough they could and theirs nothing that could be done, could you see thousands of guards being sacked? especially after cuts as well. all the unions should call all their members out and everyone else should go out and shut down the country and send a message to the government that enough is enough and we want a new fairer way of doing things where the rich and the governments cronies aren't given priority while the rest suffer and bicker with each other. its better then doing nothing and suffering in silence and bickering at each other because 1 is doing a little better then the other. employment law isn't enough, the unions are there, they maybe useless to an individual worker but if their doing what they can to make sure that the rights of workers are protected then good, so be it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Airport/airline workers should be banned from going on strike.

no they shouldn't, their entitled to down tools if their backs are against the wall. people don't strike just like that, its because they have no other option.

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    It's a pity Reagan isn't our Taoiseach or he'd sack them all!!!
    not in ireland he wouldn't, as cuts are happening we can't afford to be sacking workers. where would we get the money to pay the wellfare/dole for them all? better to make a deal with them that suits the worker and imploye, hopefully this is what will happen now the strikes are off.

Advertisement