Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's tomorrow kid.

They're going to interview a member of the only Irish team to compete in a World Cup final. (That's a woman's team in case you haven't figured it out).

So let me understand this. You think Maire should not form an opinion on the numbers of women interested in sport based on a sample size of her mates, and to support your argument, you use (in part) your sample of the women you know? Why is your sample more relevant than hers?

Everyone knows that there is an imbalance in both participation and watching but that is partially because young girls don't see many role models which they can aspire to. The premise of the 20x20 is as follows.

More visible role models
    More young girls take up the sport
    More parents become interested in following and supporting them
    The numbers participating improve
    Facilities and supports improve
    Standards improve
    Public interest improves.

Let me ask you this. Why do you have a problem with that?

Oh Christ! I've been over this with you.
    I'm not saying my sample size is any more relevant. I am pointing out that as a journalist maybe she should be more open to the fact that there are differing opinions. She is the person with the platform, she is the person that quite baldly stated that Pat's family were in a minority basing that on a sample group of her friends. The attendance and participation of women in sport is evidence enough I would have thought.
    However you can continue white knighting all you like.
    I disagree with introducing quotas, positive discrimination and enforced broadcasting gender balance to achieve what you, OTB and Maire Treasa want. It is patronising to women and ultimately counterproductive. Men and women are interested in different things, so what? There's nothing wrong with that.
    If women's sport succeeds in getting more numbers attending and participating it will do so on its own merits not because the lads on OTB or you decided to use it to demonstrate how woke they are .

I know you'll probably be disappointed I left out transgender there. Well, that's tough dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Oh Christ! I've been over this with you.
    I'm not saying my sample size is any more relevant. I am pointing out that as a journalist maybe she should be more open to the fact that there are differing opinions. She is the person with the platform, she is the person that quite baldly stated that Pat's family were in a minority basing that on a sample group of her friends. The attendance and participation of women in sport is evidence enough I would have thought.
    However you can continue white knighting all you like.
    I disagree with introducing quotas, positive discrimination and enforced broadcasting gender balance to achieve what you, OTB and Maire Treasa want. It is patronising to women and ultimately counterproductive. Men and women are interested in different things, so what? There's nothing wrong with that.

I know you'll probably be disappointed I left out transgender there. Well, that's tough dear.

I don't know what fight you think your fighting but I hope you feel like you're winning. It seems like it's important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't know what fight you think your fighting but I hope you feel like you're winning. It seems like it's important to you.

It should be important to us all. Things have gotten ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jumbo2018

I suspect he's fighting against the constant barrage of nonsense about womens sports we get in the media.

A very high percentage of topics on womens sports seems to focus on the apparent lack of coverage of womens sport despite there really not being a lack of coverage of womens sport.

Camogie is covered by RTE,Ladies football by TG4
    Womens international rugby is on RTE
    Womens cricket is covered well by Sky
    Womens Premier League is on BT Sport
    Netball is on Sky Sports regularly
    WTA tennis is on BT sport
    LPGA golf on Sky Sports
    WNBA is going to be on sky sports this year
    Katie Taylor is on Sky regularly
    And there is loads of coverage of womens olympic sports when major championship are on.

Despite all this television coverage that womens sports get it seems a large amount of womens sports coverage in papers and radio is dedicated to whining about a lack of coverage for womens sports when that isn't exactly the case, sure they don't get as much coverage as mens sports but the market dictates that.

If women's sport media had far more positivity and treated the sports like mens sports are rather than using it for a push of a feminist agenda they'd be far better off but it seem impossible these days for womens sports to not be attached to some feminist agenda.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It should be important to us all. Things have gotten ridiculous.

Do you realise that this 20x20 initiative is to attempt to get more female participation in sport.

From the website.
    20×20 is about creating a cultural shift in our perception of girls and women in sport. By increasing visibility of women’s sport it will become a greater part of who we are and what we follow. There is already so much to celebrate when it comes to women’s sport in Ireland, but there isn’t enough noise. The initiative seeks to change the subliminal bias in the Irish psyche that exists around girls and boys, or women and men, when it comes to sport. The name of the initiative is shorthand for 20% by 2020, these are the targets we have set:
    • 20% more media coverage of women in sport by the end of 2020
    • 20% more female participation whether at player, coach, referee or administration level by the end of 2020
    • 20% more attendance at women’s games and events by the end of 2020
    This isn’t a ‘women for women’ initiative, it’s ‘all of society for all of society’. If sport is good, which we know it to be, then more sport is better. If we all play, we all win. 20×20 is asking all sections of Irish society to show their stripes and pledge one small action to increase the visibility of women’s sport in Ireland because if she can’t see it, she can’t be it.

I repeat, how is this a bad thing?
    Jumbo2018 wrote: »
    I suspect he's fighting against the constant barrage of nonsense about women's sports we get in the media.

You don't understand what 'constant barrage' means do you?

• Advertisement

I suspect he's fighting against the constant barrage of nonsense about womens sports we get in the media.

A very high percentage of topics on womens sports seems to focus on the apparent lack of coverage of womens sport despite there really not being a lack of coverage of womens sport.

Camogie is covered by RTE,Ladies football by TG4
    Womens international rugby is on RTE
    Womens cricket is covered well by Sky
    WTA tennis is on BT sport
    LPGA golf on Sky Sports
    WNBA is going to be on sky sports this year
    Katie Taylor is on Sky regularly
    And there is loads of coverage of womens olympic sports when major championship are on.

Despite all this television coverage that womens sports get it seems a large amount of womens sports coverage in papers and radio is dedicated to whining about a lack of coverage for womens sports when that isn't exactly the case, sure they don't get as much coverage as mens sports but the market dictates that.

Links please. Remember, you said large amount, so I expect you mean a high percentage of all that is published about womens sport is whining about a lack of coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jumbo2018

Do you realise that this 20x20 initiative is to attempt to get more female participation in sport.

From the website.

I do.

A very high percentage of the coverage womens sports get on radio and the papers involves some whining about a lack of coverage.It seems impossible to have any coverage of womens sports without their being complaining about a lack of coverage.

From the website.

That's not what this coverage is about, that's just what it's dressed up as.

That's not what this coverage is about, that's just what it's dressed up as.

There are plenty cases of over the top reactions to things in the world today and extreme stances which make no sense. This is not even close to any of that.

For the love of god, would you listen to what they are saying, watch what they are doing and tell the voices in your head to pipe down.

There are plenty cases of over the top reactions to things in the world today and extreme stances which make no sense. This is not even close to any of that.

For the love of god, would you listen to what they are saying, watch what they are doing and tell the voices in your head to pipe down.

You sound as dangerous as they are with that voices stuff.

• Advertisement

You sound as dangerous as they are with that voices stuff.

I've no doubt you feel threatened. People often do about things they don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Quigley is on Radio One now, interesting to see if he says anything about the drugs issue in boxing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

How would you feel if a commentator was on OTB talking about a match which they had neither seen or attended. You'd be up in arms with righteous indignation.

And yet, here you are, talking about something you didn't know about being pushed. Really?

I don’t have to have known about it to conclude that making an all women’s show is pushing the feminist agenda on the listenership. Keep clutching at those straws.

There are certain women's sports that are getting preferential treatment that they don't deserve, neither because of the level of the sport nor the level of actual people watching the sports. They get more a large amount of coverage simply because they are women's sports.

I remember when they were talking about the women's rugby last year and it came to light that one of the players had got in to the Ireland team having only played rugby for only three weeks! And there were discussions on OTB at the time about how little coverage the women's game got in comparison to the men's game. Why does somebody who has been playing the game for a few weeks deserve the same coverage / remuneration / plaudits / facilities as one of the men who has playing their 10 thousand hours to get where they are? But the coverage is never nuanced - it's always presented as man playing rugby = woman playing rugby - look at the injustice in the resources!!

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I don’t have to have known about it to conclude that making an all women’s show is pushing the feminist agenda on the listenership. Keep clutching at those straws.

Yeah. You nailed it.

A full 5 hours out of the 35-40 they are going to produce this week. On Nollaig na mban. To support a national initiative.

It really is illuminati territory isn't it.

There are certain women's sports that are getting preferential treatment that they don't deserve, neither because of the level of the sport nor the level of actual people watching the sports. They get more a large amount of coverage simply because they are women's sports.

I remember when they were talking about the women's rugby last year and it came to light that one of the players had got in to the Ireland team having only played rugby for only three weeks! And there were discussions on OTB at the time about how little coverage the women's game got in comparison to the men's game. Why does somebody who has been playing the game for a few weeks deserve the same coverage / remuneration / plaudits / facilities as one of the men who has playing their 10 thousand hours to get where they are?

Have you ever heard of Andy Farrel, Sam Burgess or Brian Carney?
    They made the move across to rugby union specifically ahead of world cups.

Do you think the games they were involved in should have been ignored?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

It's tomorrow kid.

They're going to interview a member of the only Irish team to compete in a World Cup final. (That's a woman's team in case you haven't figured it out).

The condescension. You must be a Newstalk producer.

The fact that Ireland got to a womens hockey world cup final just goes to highlight what a farce the sport is, just like most womens sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The condescension. You must be a Newstalk producer.

The fact that Ireland got to a womens hockey world cup final just goes to highlight what a farce the sport is, just like most womens sports.

The sneering, condescension and arrogance . Plus leaping to the defence of OTB at every criticism.
    I disagree with you on the hockey. It's a sport played by huge numbers worldwide. Getting to the final was a great achievement.
    It's not women's sport. It's just sport.

My point is that OTB are engaged in tokenism and those party to it don't actually accept that women can and do engage with sport when they want to but many more are not interested. There's nothing wrong with that. Men and women ARE different. Trying to crowbar equality and blaming the patriarchy for an interest deficit ,shows a lack of understanding and is patronising and paternalistic towards women.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

The sneering, condescension and arrogance . Plus leaping to the defence of OTB at every criticism.
    I disagree with you on the hockey. It's a sport played by huge numbers worldwide. Getting to the final was a great achievement.
    It's not women's sport. It's just sport.

I found it odd that he defends everything the OTB crew do but was oddly silent when Gilroy made his ridiculous comments.

There's some link to Newstalk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Yeah. You nailed it.

A full 5 hours out of the 35-40 they are going to produce this week. On Nollaig na mban. To support a national initiative.

It really is illuminati territory isn't it.

Well run it every week then if you feel so positive towards it. I’m convinced you are a show staffer anyway so you would say that. You’re also in the vast minority here with your SJW stances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How insecure does one person have to be about themselves to take offence and get upset about it?

Grow a pair and stop worrying that someone who doesn't care about you is going to try take them from your person.

redbuck wrote: »
    I found it odd that he defends everything the OTB crew do but was oddly silent when Gilroy made his ridiculous comments.

There's some link to Newstalk here.

None. Zero.
    Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Well run it every week then if you feel so positive towards it. I’m convinced you are a show staffer anyway so you would say that. You’re also in the vast minority here with your SJW stances.

Wrong. Again.

Here we go, "Nollaig na Mban and we have a really great show, all women's sports for the whole show". And all listeners switching off.

I beginning to think that Ger Gilroy just didn't want to have to take down the OTB Christmas Tree himself.

When did they change the name of Little Christmas anyway?

Here we go, "Nollaig na Mban and we have a really great show, all women's sports for the whole show". And all listeners switching off.

I beginning to think that Ger Gilroy just didn't want to have to take down the OTB Christmas Tree himself.

Try again.
    They literally said it's not just women's sports. It's women's voice's covering the big sporting stories. They've spent the first 25 minutes so far discussing last nights Pro 14 inter provincial games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well, not all listeners, obviously.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Well, not all listeners, obviously.

Saved me turning it on at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I genuinely do not understand why people are pissed off that women are getting a chance on OTB.

Oh I do, it's the sexist undertones that are prevalent across this toxic website of dinosaurs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are they actually getting a chance though? Tomorrow OTB will go back to being an all male presenting team.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Are they actually getting a chance though? Tomorrow OTB will go back to being an all male presenting team.

I really don't understand what tomorrow's show has to do with today's one.

Or is your point 'they won't be presenting tomorrow, so they shouldn't be presenting today'?

Either way it's stupid and irrelevant. Your concern isn't that women won't be presenting tomorrow, it's that women are presenting full-stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement