Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6 mps...good value???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Where were you 4-6 weeks ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There must be something wrong with it, the add says it got 240hp, they are supposed to have 256hp:D

MetzgerMeister will be along shortly I'm sure...he has just sold his one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Beautiful car :)
    If you can afford it then why not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I can't see MetzgerMeister's old car for sale anymore, if it still is you should go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I can't see MetzgerMeister's old car for sale anymore, if it still is you should go for it

That's because mine sold last week. A guy who was in contact with me didn't have the funds together when I had it but he bought it from the garage I traded it in to last week!

OP - This same guy test drove that very MPS that you linked. He said the interior is in sh!t because it was used as a taxi (little hint about fuel consumption not being that bad).

Beware, it's a big engined petrol Mazda and won't hold its value too well. If you can live with that, it's a brilliant car but I will be honest and say that I got bored of it quite quickly. I'm 26, had an RX8 before it now have a 335i and I found the MPS to be a bit big for a lad my age.

They are 2.3 turbo, 260bhp, 4 wheel drive with Mazda's "Active Torque Split". This means that it's only 4WD when the situation dictates. If the front wheels loose traction, the rears kick in even more. Normally it's 100:0 bias to the front wheels. This makes it easier on fuel compared to permanent 4WD.

When you test drive one, have the engine running, open the bonnet and listen for a knocking noise from around the oil filler cap. The timing chains in these are known to stretch and are expensive to put right. When you're in the cabin with the engine running and if you hear a slight knocking noise, this is not necessarily the chain but is normal apparently. If there's a loudish ticking from the engine, it's the injectors and is normal.

Not everywhere has the alignment settings for doing the tracking on these cars. Atlas in Drumcondra do but my local place didn't but they got it fairly close. Keep the OEM spec tyres on it (I had Kumhos on mine) and you'll find the handling and braking excellent.

The alloys on these (and a lot of Jap cars) are prone to corrosion which in turn causes the paint to chip off so just remember that it's normal and can be sorted easily with a refurb.

The turbo intake pipe rubber coupling where the pipe meets the turbo can often break down and not seal properly causing a leak. I replaced mine with a Cobb version which is a lot less restrictive when it comes to induction.

Parts are expensive but service items are cheap. A lot of parts are the same as on a normal 6 and are expensive anyway but parts specific to the MPS are even more expensive. For example, there's 2 black plastic pieces that house the exhaust garnish and the reflector, these are over €300 each. While I mention it, if you think the exhausts are huge, they're not. That's just a bit of trim (garnish) around normal pea-shooters. You'll notice that when you look closely. It looks aftermarket but is actually OEM.

These are very reliable cars and not much goes wrong with them. You can buy a program called Versatune for the car. It installs on a laptop and with a special Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable, you can data log, read and clear fault codes and remap the ECU. The engine in these (often referred to as MZR DISI) can be remapped to 280bhp without any modification and ONLY on 99RON fuel. Any more of an increase and you'll have to upgrade the HPFP internals which is very expensive for what you get.

If you're coming from a sporty car, you'll notice the much increased ride height and although the car does handle well, it's fairly wallowy on standard suspension. H&R do lowering springs but IMO, they make it too low (I had these and returned it to the OEM ones) but Eibach also do a set and they are just right.

Normally it's only the driver's seat which is electric and the passenger's is manual but you could get lucky. Don't be tricked by all the gadgets on that one you linked, you'll be very disappointed with the interior but by all means, go have a drive of it and make your own decision. The sunroof is a nice touch but you have to hold the buttons to open and close it i.e. it's not automatic. When the battery is disconnected or goes flat, each window has to be reset to work from the driver's switch panel. This involves going to each door, opening the window slightly, closing it and holding the button up until you hear 2 clicks.

The paint on these is very thin and the bonnet chips very easily. Mine was covered in chips and Mazda used a white base-coat which shows up all the chips on the black ones. They also scratch easily so try to use a lambswool mitt or something other than a brush or sponge to wash it. I spent 30 hours giving mine a paint correction and each panel was like a mirror, well worth it if you want it looking perfect.

If you are into DIY maintenance, it's a nice car to work on. The intercooler has to be removed before you can access the HT leads/spark plugs which can be annoying. The airbox is easily accessibe and removed completely from the engine bay.

At 60,000km's, you may get an error code for the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve and pipe. This means that they are caked in carbon and need to be removed and cleaned with oven cleaner. I did this myself and it meant taking apart half of the engine but if you're mechanically minded, it's fairly easy.

If you do indeed buy one, you'll love it and if you have any questions, just ask!

Also, mine sold for about 9500 with 42,000 miles on the clock and it was in showroom condition. I took excellent care of it as I do with all my cars so to answer your original question, no that one isn't good value.

EDIT: The timing chain has already been replaced in that one but it's still not worth that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Awesome post:cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Awesome post:cool:

Sounds to me like he's missing the old girl something terrible!

delly wrote: »

Not really, I'm kind of preoccupied with the new one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

delly wrote: »

Not really, I'm kind of preoccupied with the new one :D

You're an awful slut altogether. Have you no shame!!!

You're an awful slut altogether. Have you no shame!!!

Damn right! The child support (depreciation) is the worst part of it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

I was just about to post it! Much easier colour to keep clean too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I'm 26, had an RX8 before it now have a 335i

What happened to getting another RX8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Really like the mps, red is the only colour for me though
    LGIM0008.jpg

ARGINITE wrote: »
    What happened to getting another RX8?

There was only 1 that I wanted which was a private sale and the sale of the MPS wasn't going so well so I just traded it in.

That was a cloud with a silver lining as I found out that the RX8 I was after has just had its diff replaced. Originally was going to cost 3700 but he got a 2nd hand diff from a series 1 RX8 fitted for 1500. It's lousy because he's a very sound chap.

Also, I don't know if I would have been able to put with an N/A rotary after the turbo MPS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I was just about to post it! Much easier colour to keep clean too!
    You'll have a silver or metallic beige VW next if you keep talking like that! :eek:

langdang wrote: »
    You'll have a silver or metallic beige VW next if you keep talking like that! :eek:

I doubt it :P The RX8 I had was silver and every other car I've owned has been a dark colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Cheers for the detailed reply MetzgerMeister..I think I may give it a miss. Besides I found one closer to me in Dublin that I think I'll take a look at

http://www.cameroncars.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=840080

or the other one you posted.

Sorry I meant bazz26!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

2.3 litre petrol :eek:

vicwatson wrote: »
    2.3 litre petrol :eek:
    I think you're in the wrong thread lad.
    2.3 Turbo to make it better/worse depending on your POV

• Advertisement

the varg wrote: »
    Cheers for the detailed reply MetzgerMeister..I think I may give it a miss. Besides I found one closer to me in Dublin that I think I'll take a look at

http://www.cameroncars.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=840080

or the other one you posted.

That one was for sale on done deal and carzone for quite a while before he traded it in.

If I were you I would go for the one bazz posted over that mainly due to the fact that it is better value as it's got a lot less milage and IMO, it's a much nicer colour on that car.

Considering that the MZR engine is pretty gutless and doesn't get much better MPG without the turbo, it makes it better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Ill be honest i actually liked the 2.3 on its own!
    Never really had anything powerful to compare it too but seemed to carry well through the rev range, although 160bhp is poor enough.
    Still with 96k miles on it, it actually drove nice.

MM is that the one that was for sale up in meath when yours was for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

it's a much nicer colour on that car.
    No... Silver is NEVER nice on ANY car... EVER. And should be banned.

Everything else you say is correct though! :D

coolisin wrote: »
    MM is that the one that was for sale up in meath when yours was for sale?

Yep, same one! I really don't like that colour though!

I meant to mention that you drove that non-turbo one, is that still for sale? It's unreal how a small KO4 turbo can add 100 bhp haha

Coincidentally OP, it's the exact same turbo that's in the Focus ST and Golf GTI so if anything happens to it (it's unknown for anything to happen) but should you need a new one, you could start in scrapyards instead of going to a dealership.
    Tea 1000 wrote: »

Everything else you say is correct though! :D

It's actually called moist silver so it's fine! Whisht :P

I'm of the opinion that my RX8 was gorgeous in silver so again, whisht!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

silver is a part of paddy spec... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

nearly 90k miles,maybe 4-5k at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Don't VW Golf's only come in silver?!

or pink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

I think it looks good on this
    25sagc5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fair point, I was just considering the cost of running it in this day and age !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Those considerations are for wieners! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just a wee bit more then 1.9 TDI audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The Mazda ATS system isnt 80:20 bias in normal driving though, its 100:0. Its a FWD platform with upto and max 50% split to the rear.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5306390_mazdas-split-wheel-drive-work.html

At 1:25 they mention the torque split.

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Really like the mps, red is the only colour for me though
    LGIM0008.jpg

Gorgeous wheels... what are they and how much if you dont mind me asking? :)

gollywog wrote: »
    Gorgeous wheels... what are they and how much if you dont mind me asking? :)
    I don't think that's his car, it certainly doesn't look like kildare in the background of that pic!

I don't think that's his car, it certainly doesn't look like kildare in the background of that pic!

Oh ok, my bad!! Love them whhels though!

• Advertisement

Rota Bellas? :confused: not my area of expertise, but a fan of black wheels with red trim alright.

My bad about the torque split ratio but when they're on rolling roads with no cause for the rears to kick in, the rear wheels have been known to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

My bad about the torque split ratio but when they're on rolling roads with no cause for the rears to kick in, the rear wheels have been known to drive.
    Yep, I actually read that too. No idea why it does it though, its not meant to.. :P

Surely they'd be guaranteed to drive on a rolling road - front wheels turning faster than the rear, computer thinks fronts are "spinning", sends power to the rear?

fletch wrote: »
    I think it looks good on this
    25sagc5.jpg
    That's kind of grey though! "Silver" is an insult to that colour!
    Surely they'd be guaranteed to drive on a rolling road - front wheels turning faster than the rear, computer thinks fronts are "spinning", sends power to the rear?
    I would have thought that too??

• Advertisement

This is the best explanation I've ever heard for it!

This is the best explanation I've ever heard for it!
    My experience would be of the Honda Dual pump system used in the CRV / HRV.
    It's a beautiful system in an engineering sense, no electronics just a mechanical/hydraulic system.

Not as dynamic, or high tech as other systems, can't handle the same power as other systems (doubt it gets anywhere near 50:50), not for heavy duty work, but a very "elegant" solution to part time 4wd and it doesn't go bonkers if a sensor or control module goes AWOL.
    More than 3% difference in wheel speed between front and back pushes the clutch plates together, simple as. No LSD though - learned that the hard way haha!

In the case of the MPS, I'm guessing it's ABS sensors or something keep track of what wheel is doing what.

I'm not familiar with that Honda system but I do know that the MPS system is excellent and works very well. I had to take my parents' '07 C180 to work one day and I found the car skidding on a few turns where the MPS wouldn't have hinted at a poor surface.

OP - any update for us?? Are you zoom-zooming yet? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That's kind of grey though! "Silver" is an insult to that colour!

That's silver it's just been photoshopped to fcuk and back. Looks like bad editing resulting in the whole colour range being compressed, and silver turning to that murky grey

He must have bought it since he hasn't been here in a while :pac:

That's silver it's just been photoshopped to fcuk and back. Looks like bad editing resulting in the whole colour range being compressed, and silver turning to that murky grey
    Thought that alright, but genuine or not, the result looks far better than regular plain silver!
    He must have bought it since he hasn't been here in a while :pac:

He can't slow down long enough to post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Maybe the car ate his computer as it thought it was a petrol pump

Maybe the car ate his computer as it thought it was a petrol pump

Or maybe the turbo sucked in his computer and shat it out the exhaust in the direction of a TDi...

Not 1 3MPS or 6MPS for sale on done deal, 2 6MPS's left on carzone both black. The silver one the OP was interested in is gone so either he's very sad or very happy.

From his silence, I doubt we will ever know :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement