Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fargo [FX/Channel 4] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Highly irregular is the time I found a human foot in a toaster oven. This is just odd!"

:D

Another great second episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I really don't understand the hyperbole spouted here about it. A lot of quirk for quirk's sake. Not great at all, almost "Lillyhammer"-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Caught the first couple of episodes of this last night. Really enjoyed it so I'm on board for another eight.
    I'm curious though as to why the cops didn't find Lester's bagged up bloody clothes at the house after they went through it forensically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and the fact that he has a gunshot pellet wound in his hand totally blows his story of being down stairs unconscious when the cop was killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Oh dear, I appear to have upset delicate Lester Nygard.
    Remember what happened to his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'm really enjoying this, bbts character is the real draw tho every scene he's in has you on the edge of your seat. Even tho its dealing with some serious issues its very light hearted and doesn't apologize for that which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Episode 2: They removed the plopping sound from Billy Bob on the loo!!

I'm still on the fence, but it's not awful or anything like that.. maybe it's the attachment to the movie that weirds me out, like if it has nothing to do with it (plot or continuity of the characters-wise) other than the Coens co-exec producing and some odd nods to the film here and there, why not just call it something else? Or at least not market it to the contrary. Obviously, the comparisons will be inevitable. I mean, even for a Freeman fan here, it still feels like he's doing his best Bill H Macy impression. Billy bob, while a great actor here, his character is a bit too Chigurh of the mid-west to be compelling or considered original.

Oh well, still looking forward for next week though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

patmac wrote: »
    Remember what happened to his wife.

Her washing machine was acting up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

camz09 wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence, but it's not awful or anything like that.. maybe it's the attachment to the movie that weirds me out, like if it has nothing to do with it (plot or continuity of the characters-wise) other than the Coens co-exec producing and some odd nods to the film here and there, why not just call it something else? Or at least not market it to the contrary. Obviously, the comparisons will be inevitable. I mean, even for a Freeman fan here, it still feels like he's doing his best Bill H Macy impression. Billy bob, while a great actor here, his character is a bit too Chigurh of the mid-west to be compelling or considered original.

I'm kinda with you on this. It's ok but I really feel like I'm waiting for it to kick off properly. Billy Bob is easily the best thing about it but some of the characters really feel like Coen Bros Lite, like they're trying hard to replicate that Coen Brothers sensibility but falling just short.

It's by no means awful and I'm going to keep watching it but I suppose it has high standards to live up to.

There's loads of little references to a variety of Coens movies throughout which are fun to spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

The last scene of episode 2. Surely on of the worst ways I could think of to die?

Didnt like episode 2 as much as the first, but it was still good. I'm not sure about Martin Freeman yet. I like the guy, but his character and the way he plays it is just too easy to compare to William H Macy, and he doesnt stand a chance in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I groaned at the flashbacks. I think they need to give the audience more credit. Really lowest common denominator stuff that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno why its called Fargo couldn't they just make a cop show set in a frozen location and call it Chill Factor or something? But beyond that I'm enjoying it, some good dialogue and Billy Bob Thornton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just saw Episode 3, it's maintaining a high standard, some nice scenes between the smart female cop, Colin Hanks and his daughter. BBT living up to his malevolent moniker. Coen brother's fingerprints all over this and that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

BBT: "I have two questions and one comment."

I knew what the comment was going to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Even Colin Hanks cant ruin this ;)

Im going to say this quietly and then Im going to run away ...

.... So far Im enjoying this more than True Detective

• Advertisement

Another great episode with 1.03.

Yaw, Billy Bob is sure real good there now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The accents are hilarious the scene in the restaurant where Molly meets her friend is totally unnecessary but very funny.

Watched the first two episodes today and enjoyed them. They retain the wit of the film while brining a few new ideas and elements into play. Lester is a great character and I can't have been the only one who felt like punching the air when he bashed his wife's brains in. I was relived that such an utterly unlikablecharacter wouldn't be sticking around.

The accents are hilarious the scene in the restaurant where Molly meets her friend is totally unnecessary but very funny.

Oh yaw, you betcha!

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

random thought

All the characters are weird and quirky, nearly everyone, and its set in some slightly alternate universe of human behavior , once you accept that its quite good not brilliant thou , worth watching

Only saw the film once I vaguely remember it as been excellent, would it be fair to say all the characters in the film where also a bit weird although not as weird as tv show.

nearly every kid that's introduced is unsound, hess kids are dim , nigard nephew has the autism, the supermarket king kid is tapped.

Don't like the two "heavies" at all the deaf one and the jew, a bit tooooo quirky

nigard needs to get that shotgun pellet out his hand LOL.

BBT is excellent carrying the show, although he leaves clues everywhere as he goes
    about his business and his various unnecessary side businesses,

What does fargo mean, was bbt on the phone with someone who refereed to the big boss as Fargo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

What does fargo mean, was bbt on the phone with someone who refereed to the big boss as Fargo?

Fargo is a town in North Dakota that the movie was named after.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The movie had one scene early on that was set in Fargo, then it was never mentioned again. It's not even in the state of Minnesota, where all the action happens, but just over the border in North Dakota. The Coen Brothers are like that. It's an average-sized town, so if Fargo represents "the big city", then you know you're in a small town.

I think one welcome difference from the movie is that the scenery is shot more realistically. It's not as "pretty" as the film, but more representative of what it's actually like up there near the Canadian border. Less of the Lake Wobegon stuff than I was expecting, which is also a good thing.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not based on a true story

bnt wrote: »

I think one welcome difference from the movie is that the scenery is shot more realistically. It's not as "pretty" as the film, but more representative of what it's actually like up there near the Canadian border. Less of the Lake Wobegon stuff than I was expecting, which is also a good thing.

The TV series was shot right here in Alberta, Canada. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I just watched the 1st episode, I really liked it. Billy Bob Thornton was excellent. It's the first time I've seen Martin Freeman in anything since the The Office years ago and enjoyed his performance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's the first time I've seen Martin Freeman in anything since the The Office years ago and enjoyed his performance too.
    Sherlock? Get on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Basq wrote: »
    Sherlock? Get on that!

Will do. Heard some good things. Didn't know Martin Freeman had it in him :)

Just watched the second episode there, still looking good. Some of Billy Bob's exchanges with people remind me of Chigurh's exchanges with people in No Country for Old Men. Great sinister undertones. Not surprising I guess with the Coen's involvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Basq wrote: »
    Sherlock? Get on that!

Also, the little indie films "The Hobbit" and "The Desolation of Smaug"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't like the two "heavies" at all the deaf one and the jew, a bit tooooo quirky

The jewish one must have been working out since his "one punch" days from that great movie "dazed and confused".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It's just about holding my attention.

I like Billy Bob's character, but come on. This is a "small town"? How much more **** is he gonna get away with? I know that's part of his character, his cheek. But yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Really good start but it's faltering somewhat. Billy Bob holding things together but some of the arcs (The supermarket guy being blackmailed) are just so meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

im loving this tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

Enjoyed ep4..funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I loved how they tied the movie with that first scene of EP 4.

The ending was hilarious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finished Ep 3... not sure I'm going to make it much further, very meh.

I loved how they tied the movie with that first scene of EP 4.

Such a clever tie in.

This show is getting better week on week. Billy Bob was hilarious in 1.04 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just watched ep 4. Show seems to be getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Glebee wrote: »
    Just watched ep 4. Show seems to be getting better and better.
    Yeah, best episode so far I think. I'm loving the tone, it has a great sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Watching the first one now. It's good.
    The hair on Billy Bob Horndog is ridiculous.

I love how everyone in this is a complete oddball, especially the children

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

After three episodes, I'd say this is solidly enjoyable television so far, but it quivers in the shadow of its cinematic inspiration.

I actually rewatched Fargo (the film) last night to see how it compared to Fargo (the TV show). As I had suspected. It is weirder and it is much funnier. The characters in the show are pale imitations of the ones in the film, and for the most part the acting is too - Freeman is a decent actor, but he has absolutely nothing on Macy's inspired awkwardness in the film. The cross-cutting between different stories is far more interesting in the big screen version (always amazed at how long it takes for McDormand to be introduced). Overall, there's an artistry and control to the film that the show has not yet come close to matching - the Coens might executive produce this, but their unique scripting and directing skills are missed.

On its own terms, the new Fargo is a very watchable black comedy, and in terms of cinematography and atmosphere actually a notch above most television on at the moment. And while no-one in it can come close to matching McDormand, Buscemi or Macy, the acting is pretty good. At the same time, even at its best, it's a facsimile of something better, which alas dilutes its impact somewhat. Even though it - rightly - deviates significantly in terms of story, it still tries to emulate the tone and mood of the film in a way that highlights its limitations in comparison. Encouraged by the posts above that episode four is the best so far, though.

One thing I do really appreciate, though, is the amount of Coen Brothers related Easter Eggs nestled in the background of scenes. Have spotted True Grit and Lebowski ones, and I'm sure there's more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

One thing I do really appreciate, though, is the amount of Coen Brothers related Easter Eggs nestled in the background of scenes. Have spotted True Grit and Lebowski ones, and I'm sure there's more!

There's an explicit Raising Arizona reference in the mail room when Billy Bob picks up his package. (Episode two I think it was)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's an explicit Raising Arizona reference in the mail room when Billy Bob picks up his package. (Episode two I think it was)

A box with 'LaBouef's Stuff' and a special offer on White Russians on a diner menu are the two I've spotted so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i've very much enjoyed it

have a feeling it's going to get a bit silly now unfortunately

hope I'm wrong

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This is excellent, cant wait for tonights episode.

Not the best episode, compared to last week.

Not the best episode, compared to last week.

you're talking about episode 3 or 4?

el diablo wrote: »
    you're talking about episode 3 or 4?

Ah ok, I've lost track. I meant 4 or 5. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement