Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Estate, Bettystown ..

Options
  • 25-09-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Since my estate was built in Bettystown (in a field locally called frog marsh), my estate has flooded annually.

Originally we were told by county councellors that it was a 50 year storm. Then wen it happened again we were told it was a 100 year storm. Then wen it happened again we were told they were building a multi million euro draining plant upstream that would solve the problem. Now we are just told nothing.

There are 2 fire engines, two huge pumps, 2 councel trucks, a JcB and a couple of me from the office of public works in our estate trying to fix the problem.

How lucky are we? I know some estates don't get much help, but how my estate was zoned for building is little short of criminal. The field that our house was built on used to flood regularly, so it wouldn't of taken a remotely half competent engineer to recognise the potential flood issues that might arise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

I know that area well - Im amazed that houses were built there , it has been prone to flooding for at least the past 50 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Double post

You might find this link useful. It contains archive data on floods in areas, meetings held and even scans of newspapers that reported on the flooding at the time.

http://www.floodmaps.ie/index.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fView%2fDefault.aspx

Actually there's not much logged for Bettystown:
    2011 @ Northlands housing development:
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/GetReport.aspx?ReportID=12089

No newspaper coverage archived

The mind boggles:

from the independent in 2005:
    As the waters rise and the house owners start thinking about compensation, then they will remember the words of Fianna Fail Councillor Pat Boshell, who told the council meeting last week that he did not accept the advice from planners that the land was subject to flooding. "That is the poorest, pathetic excuse I have ever heard for land not being rezoned," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/heard-the-one-about-building-houses-in-a-marsh-its-no-joke-243217.html

Edit: I'm not saying it's the same estate. I don't know the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php?request=&...w=&video=53596

This is the bettystown etstae today .

4 fire engines, JCB, 2 County councel trucks, about 7 people from the OPW, 4 county council people (who represent the entire East Meath employees) and 2 large pumps pumping water from one side of the estate to the other! !

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

I have family living in that estate. Its a scandal that ,1. There was an estate built there in the first place and 2. That they didnt provide adequate drainage.
    More short cuts and greed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diamond79

Wasn't Northlands constructed before 2005? Definitley the houses most affected around the green where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Sorry to dig up an old thread but with the weather the way it was and the planning of another 300!! houses to built on that flood plain how are the people of the northlands doing this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

projectgtr wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but with the weather the way it was and the planning of another 300!! houses to built on that flood plain how are the people of the northlands doing this year?

No problems yet!

A local engineer suggests that the new houses will actually help alleviate some of the water that runs through the stream.

Long story short, they will use some of the fields beside that estate as a flood run off area and more importantly, new estates can only let a certain amount of water run through to the next area. By that I understand that the amount of water running through our stream should in theory be less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

300 new houses. Have you any details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Any details on the 300 houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

Sorry to dig up old post. Since the flood measures how had the flooding situation been. I am looking to but cois na mara house so any input would be amazing on the flood situation in neighbouring estates

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Cois Na Mara was built under controversy as it was deemed to be a flood pain, I believe there were plans put in place for preventative measures during the time the permission was granted to prevent flooding from happening. If you check meath coco website and the planning section you can find out further information. It will list the modification to the planning permission.
    Might be worth googling aswell some articles are available
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/36993
    https://www.businesspost.ie/news/developer-building-nearly-400-houses-on-floodplain-304444

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lchang

jjjade wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up old post. Since the flood measures how had the flooding situation been. I am looking to but cois na mara house so any input would be amazing on the flood situation in neighbouring estates

Hi jjjade, I'm also looking to buy a house at the Cois na Mara, but now I'm really not sure if we should go ahead. This is the biggest investment of my life , so I'm not comfortable to live in an area susceptible of flooding.
    I'm not a civil engineer but to think that building houses in a flood area will eventually alleviate the flood issues is really weird and difficult to believe.

Do you or anyone have news to share on this estate?

Thanking you in advance,

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bri555

I would definitely stay away from the Cois na Mara development. It is being built on a flood plain and there has been a lot of controversy around it. Several of the local councillors wanted to prevent it from going ahead. I have friends living close by, and hear that people in the adjacent Brabazon and Foxbury estates have been up in arms about the noise involved, which goes far beyond normal construction noise as concrete pylons are driven into the ground for the foundations of each house. Not sure whether that would really stabilise the ground. There seems to be no consideration whatosoever for the people living there. The company and people in charge of the site have been known to be quite rude to people daring to complain. Also, the whole construction process seems quite slow, with about 20 houses being finished in over a year. So, you can do the maths, but I'd say you would be in for a lot of noise and disruption until the 300 odd houses are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Alexelectric

Very nice neighbourhood and lovely estate. All sorted now, probably one of the most secure flood free estates in Ireland now. A multi-million euro flood protection system was recently installed, engineering works commenced in early 2017. The brook/stream which runs through the centre of the estate from Mornington and out at Bettystown is now secure.
    Records show that no homes were ever flooded but the play green adjacent to the stream and part of the inner roads were occasionally prone to flooding once or twice in 12 years. All history now.

All ancient history. As far as I know, some years ago there was previously a couple of issues with the stream in the centre of the Northlands Estate during extreme weather conditions, where it overflowed on to the green following 5 consecutive days of heavy rain but no houses or properties were ever encroached or flooded by water, only one or two of the inner side roads up to footpath level.
    A very sophisticated flood barrier system has now been installed the full length of the culvert and stream on the opposite side of the central green which commenced in 2016 under the Office of Public Works.
    It's a very safe and quiet estate and is probably the safest in Ireland now, particularly so from a flooding point of view following the excellent engineering work which was undertaken.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Since my estate was built in Bettystown (in a field locally called frog marsh), my estate has flooded annually.

Originally we were told by county councellors that it was a 50 year storm. Then wen it happened again we were told it was a 100 year storm. Then wen it happened again we were told they were building a multi million euro draining plant upstream that would solve the problem. Now we are just told nothing.

There are 2 fire engines, two huge pumps, 2 councel trucks, a JcB and a couple of me from the office of public works in our estate trying to fix the problem.

How lucky are we? I know some estates don't get much help, but how my estate was zoned for building is little short of criminal. The field that our house was built on used to flood regularly, so it wouldn't of taken a remotely half competent engineer to recognise the potential flood issues that might arise.
    All ancient history. As far as I know, some years ago there was previously a couple of issues with the stream in the centre of the Northlands Estate during extreme weather conditions, where it overflowed on to the green following 5 consecutive days of heavy rain but no houses or properties were ever encroached or flooded by water, only one or two of the inner side roads up to footpath level.
    A very sophisticated flood barrier system has now been installed the full length of the culvert and stream on the opposite side of the central green which commenced in 2016 under the Office of Public Works.
    It's a very safe and quiet estate and is probably the safest in Ireland now, particularly so from a flooding point of view following the excellent engineering work which was undertaken.

Mind me asking where you got this info from, what i seen in person wouldnt inspire me with confidence and i hope im wrong to be honest.

• Advertisement

Mind me asking where you got this info from, what i seen in person wouldnt inspire me with confidence and i hope im wrong to be honest.
    Not at all, I have two close colleagues who were assigned to the project, one an Engineer and the other a Surveyor. And yes, you are wrong, perhaps you need to return again and take a second look to boost your confidence, it's a fantastic job, no expense spared, must have cost millions.
    Not quite completed yet and they were over a year at it. Big $$ Bucks, but what I'm wondering is, who's paid for it?

Drumpot wrote: »
    http://www.tv3.ie/news.php?request=&...w=&video=53596

This is the bettystown etstae today .

4 fire engines, JCB, 2 County councel trucks, about 7 people from the OPW, 4 county council people (who represent the entire East Meath employees) and 2 large pumps pumping water from one side of the estate to the other! !
    All Ancient History, Dry as Bone Now :-)

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    I have family living in that estate. Its a scandal that ,1. There was an estate built there in the first place and 2. That they didnt provide adequate drainage.
    More short cuts and greed in Ireland.
    You want to see it now, Great Job they Did, must have cost millions :-)

Not at all, I have two close colleagues who were assigned to the project, one an Engineer and the other a Surveyor. And yes, you are wrong, perhaps you need to return again and take a second look to boost your confidence, it's a fantastic job, no expense spared, must have cost millions.
    Not quite completed yet and they were over a year at it. Big $$ Bucks, but what I'm wondering is, who's paid for it?

Well you see what worries me is what i havent seen , when the bits i have seen look bad. Just one aspect is entrance into the estate, this was made over the ditch/stream they put a imo undersized pipe down and then back filled over it to create the entrance. The pipe laid also looked like it was blocked from day one. Myself and even a civil engineering friend looked at it as it was being done i cant see how it would shift the water needed during the next 10 year 20 year x year storm hits, its simply going to act as a bottleneck. There was 2 days of rain when it was laid and the whole section came up higher than ive ever seen. Are your friends working for the builders or council? Is there anywhere online these works can be viewed? I dont want to scare monger and like i said previously i hope i am wrong.

Well you see what worries me is what i havent seen , when the bits i have seen look bad. Just one aspect is entrance into the estate, this was made over the ditch/stream they put a imo undersized pipe down and then back filled over it to create the entrance. The pipe laid also looked like it was blocked from day one. Myself and even a civil engineering friend looked at it as it was being done i cant see how it would shift the water needed during the next 10 year 20 year x year storm hits, its simply going to act as a bottleneck. There was 2 days of rain when it was laid and the whole section came up higher than ive ever seen. Are your friends working for the builders or council? Is there anywhere online these works can be viewed? I dont want to scare monger and like i said previously i hope i am wrong.
    Why would you be worried about something that you ''Haven't Seen''?
    Believe me, a thorough in-depth study drawn up by experts and the Office of Public works was undertaken for well in excess of twelve months prior to the engineering works and project even commencing, which incidentally has also taken a further twelve months to complete. !!
    Do you honestly and truly believe that they are going to throw hundreds of thousands of Euro and perhaps even millions, plus man-hours into a project so as to undertake a half-assed, half-baked job? I don't think so !!
    I'm really not sure where the cynicism derives from but I'm glad I'm not fitting a kitchen or doing a plumbing job in your house :-) . . . LoL
    As I said previously, it appears to be an excellent job and all of the residents who reside within the inner section of the estate seem to be delighted with it.
    Those who have properties along the main entrance avenue of Northlands never really gave a hoot anyway, because the original problem never had any effect on them.

Why would you be worried about something that you ''Haven't Seen''?
    As ive said previously its because what i HAVE seen was not promising. I will gladly post pictures if you want?

Do you honestly and truly believe that they are going to throw hundreds of thousands of Euro and perhaps even millions, plus man-hours into a project so as to undertake a half-assed, half-baked job? I don't think so !!
    They have done previously, sure even Meath CoCo were found not to be keeping up with the dredging of that stream/ditch so i have little faith without evidence to back it up.
    I'm really not sure where the cynicism derives from but I'm glad I'm not fitting a kitchen or doing a plumbing job in your house :-) . . . LoL

I dont even know what to make of this comment :rolleyes: , the cynic in me though would like to know what connection you have to the builder or the selling agent, its very interesting an account with so few posts and only over 2 threads has such an obsession with this topic
    As I said previously, it appears to be an excellent job and all of the residents who reside within the inner section of the estate seem to be delighted with it.
    Those who have properties along the main entrance avenue of Northlands never really gave a hoot anyway, because the original problem never had any effect on them.

Residents of which estate? Cois na Mara? As for Northlands i never mentioned them :confused:

As ive said previously its because what i HAVE seen was not promising. I will gladly post pictures if you want?

They have done previously, sure even Meath CoCo were found not to be keeping up with the dredging of that stream/ditch so i have little faith without evidence to back it up.

I dont even know what to make of this comment :rolleyes: , the cynic in me though would like to know what connection you have to the builder or the selling agent, its very interesting an account with so few posts and only over 2 threads has such an obsession with this topic

Residents of which estate? Cois na Mara? As for Northlands i never mentioned them :confused:
    Hi again, Not sure if you are a resident of the Estate or more likely a former resident with a gripe, but a building site, cranes, dumper trucks, concrete, girders and a job in progress never looks promising to the layperson.
    If the now successfully completed Northlands flood protection project interests you so much well then maybe you should update yourself so as to help allay your fears or ''Worries'' as you put it regarding what you state you ''Haven't Seen'', rather than what you say you had previously seen.
    As far as I'm concerned MCC and the OPW couldn't have done a better job and the risk of flooding in that area from the Mornington stream or from heavy rainfall is now practically zero.
    Meath County Council as far back as 2013 commissioned JBA Consulting Engineers and Project Management Co., Limerick, to conduct a comprehensively thorough and detailed flood defense works study in the area to include Brookside, Stameen Stream, Pilltown, the River Nanny and the tributary stream that runs from Mornington and partially through Bettystown plus project proposals for the East Meath coastal Flood Risk Management scheme.
    I might add that the present, current and planned future works do not only relate to Bettystown or solely the Northlands Estate or any individual housing estate for that matter, but for a Water and Flood Protection Scheme for the wider riskier Mornington District, Laytown, and Donacarney areas in particular.
    If you care to take further study you will find that county and localized flooding has been a relatively new phenomenon in recent decades due to climate change, rising sea levels, and coastal erosion and has been occurrent throughout many parts of the country and in many counties, inland and not just coastal. Most people seem to conclude that flooding is caused by rainfall only, it is not.
    I won't be commenting further on this subject because frankly, as I don't reside in the area I have relatively little interest outside of my original comment, but if you would like to have the last word well then go right ahead. Best regards and have a nice day :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi again, Not sure if you are a resident of the Estate or more likely a former resident with a gripe, but a building site, cranes, dumper trucks, concrete, girders and a job in progress never looks promising to the layperson.

So your not a layperson.

It would be nice to know your relationship to the project though and what you are selling?

Im neither i just live very close by. I understand building sites ive studied engineering and have spent time on plenty of sites. I never slated the works all i said is that what i have seen didnt inspire confidence in the project as a whole, this was also seen by a civil engeering friend who thought very similar to me. This was with regards to the entrance built over the stream, with the installation of in my opinion an undersized pipe.
    If the now successfully completed Northlands flood protection project interests you so much well then maybe you should update yourself so as to help allay your fears or ''Worries'' as you put it regarding what you state you ''Haven't Seen'', rather than what you say you had previously seen.
    You seem to think i have a fascination with northlands, i havent even mentioned them while talking to you so i dont know why you keep bringing it up, i havent mentioned it in over 2 years to the OP :confused:
    I won't be commenting further on this subject because frankly, as I don't reside in the area I have relatively little interest outside of my original comment, but if you would like to have the last word well then go right ahead. Best regards and have a nice day :-)

I will be brutally honest since you say you are done with the topic, i get the impression you either work for the builder or seller and are not being transparent with people here. To be honest if you are, thats fine id actually like to talk more , but i do think the builder/seller should really engage with peoples concerns , i really did think they would after the UTV coverage a couple years back.

• Advertisement

Don't want to bang on about this but what you Actually and originally Did say and state, was, ''What You Hadn't Seen'', and Not About what you had seen, Pipe or No Pipe.
    And as for the builder/seller engaging with peoples concerns ?? Firstly, the builder/developer is long dead and gone, what we're actually discussing is the flood prevention engineering project of 2017/18 and Not the builder/developer of a decade and a half ago or the minor road flooding issues of over 10 years ago. And secondly, there are no concerns because the issues have now been addressed.
    You can take all the nonfactual impressions and suppositions you wish, but there again you are mistaken. And finally, as another alluded to on the thread, I am not selling anything, I am an airline pilot, I don't sell for a living, but I do have relatives who reside there and they don't appear to have any issues or concerns, so intriguingly why should you?
    It's a well-established fact that most anything that gets written on Social Media usually stays there, including inaccuracies, misinformation, gross exaggerations, fake news and BS, and a lot of gullible misinformed people out there often accept it as fact and base their decisions on the BS that they read. QED.

Advertisement