Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Network To Buy Iphone 5

Options
  • 24-09-2012 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Im currently on 48 but considering moving so i can get an iphone fairly cheap on bill pay.

Its either between three and and meteor.

I have been meteor before and i liked them, But three are offering the phone for 139 at 40 a month

Meteor have a 40 a month tariff aswell but they have not announced the price of the phone yet.

Three offer unlimited data but I heard they have a bad customer service and 3g speeds

Any input would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to apple media devices forum
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

3.. Meteor seem to have lots of issues and bad coverage! I'm with 3 and have very few problems, if any, with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mervyn Crawford

To put the use of up-to-date technology in it's broader context:

........Workers would be fired if they were found carrying any metallic
    objects. They had to sit still while working long hours. On the assembly line,
    they had to produce an iPhone 5 back plate almost every three seconds, and the reporter had to pick up each plate and mark four points, using an oil-based
    paint pen. “Every ten hours, I had to finish 3,000 back plates. After several
    hours, I had terrible neck pain,” he wrote..............
    http://wsws.org/articles/2012/sep2012/foxn-s25.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

To put the use of up-to-date technology in it's broader context:

http://wsws.org/articles/2012/sep2012/foxn-s25.shtml

I worked for a certain PC manufacturer in Limerick for a few months, many many years go, and it was the same. That's life

Well the world market is just that, international. So Ireland, and USA for that matter, have the same difficulties as China in the sense that people have to struggle in low-paid and needlessly punishing work just to survive.

The company that makes the i Phone had profits of 1.4% last quarter.
    Under the profit system that's not sustainable unless it is decided to drive down pay and ramp-up production even more - but 'That's life.'

My view would be that in itself is unsustainable as a global economic and social/political system.

And related to the economic model - modern technological developments are nowhere near used to their full potential.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well the world market is just that, international. So Ireland, and USA for that matter, have the same difficulties as China in the sense that people have to struggle in low-paid and needlessly punishing work just to survive.

The company that makes the i Phone has profits of 1.4% last quarter.
    Under the profit system that's not sustainable unless it is decided to drive down pay and ramp-up production even more - but 'That's life.'

My view would be that in itself is unsustainable as a global economic and social/political system.

And related to the economic model - modern technological developments are nowhere near used to their full potential.

here you go, not just the company that makes iPhones. Also the same for Samsung, Sony etc etc

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19504381

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-factories-sound-bad-foxconn-214030203.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Still no word on Meteor and Vodafone's pricing? Any chance that one (or both) haven't been promised an initial batch?

Vinnycoyne, would you know a thread or threads that are more closely related to the issue of the i Phone, Samsung, .. factories and working conditions for the manufacturers' staff?

Vinnycoyne, would you know a thread or threads that are more closely related to the issue of the i Phone, Samsung, .. factories and working conditions for the manufacturers' staff?

Here
    > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

SK1979 wrote: »
    Still no word on Meteor and Vodafone's pricing? Any chance that one (or both) haven't been promised an initial batch?
    They will probably release pricing tomorrow or Thursday at the latest

I can't get a word out of eMobile regarding a release date. Makes me worry that they may not have the stock at all.
    But based on the iPhone4S tariffs I will probably go with them. If they ever get them in.

Mossess wrote: »
    I can't get a word out of eMobile regarding a release date. Makes me worry that they may not have the stock at all.
    But based on the iPhone4S tariffs I will probably go with them. If they ever get them in.

i posted on another thread about stock issues. i haveit from a staff memebr in Cork that the irish stock levels are smaller than previous years, and thats why the networks are hesitant to advertise so far.

Like last year posters were up, offers detailed and waiting lists/pre-orders opened, this year.....Nothing!

Nothing. Ouch. I guess then the only Network is three. At least they seem to be taking orders and phoning people today with actual delivery dates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mossess wrote: »
    Nothing. Ouch. I guess then the only Network is three. At least they seem to be taking orders and phoning people today with actual delivery dates.
    Three have this on their order page:
    The iPhone 5 is in high demand with Three. Pre-ordered iPhones will be delivered on a first-come, first-serve basis. We cannot guarantee that you will receive your iPhone 5 on Friday 28th. We will contact you on Tuesday 25th to confirm.
    So they seem to be just taking orders regardless of how much stock they have. Would be interesting to hear if they contact anyone with a supposed delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Dades wrote: »
    Three have this on their order page:

So they seem to be just taking orders regardless of how much stock they have. Would be interesting to hear if they contact anyone with a supposed delivery date.

I got a call tonight just before 7 (English number, don't think it makes a difference but thought I'd mention it) from a guy who said it'd be delivered to me on Friday anytime between 9 and 5.
    Here's hoping.

I got a call tonight just before 7 (English number, don't think it makes a difference but thought I'd mention it) from a guy who said it'd be delivered to me on Friday anytime between 9 and 5.
    Here's hoping.

Based on that it looks like Three are the only network with stock. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Anybody have any idea what the others are going to charge or are they not offering it this friday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

VF on Grafton St (Dublin) just texted me to say that "due to unforeseen stock issues" it was going to be a free-for-all (not their words!) with the store opening at 9am.

Had put my name on a list there last week. The other VF on Grafton St told me the same in person this week.

Ah, so they may only have 5 per store then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

rdogg12794 wrote: »
    Three offer unlimited data but I heard they have a bad customer service and 3g speeds

Just to clarify this. When you get signal, Three have the fastest data network in the country. The problem is that outside of major towns and cities the reception is shlte. For example I can get no reception, 3g, or even voice if I go to Glendalough.

So really it depends where you live and where you travel. If you live in Dublin city and never leave Three are awesome. If you live in the middle of country and go hiking every weekend they are shlte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rdogg12794

Just to clarify this. When you get signal, Three have the fastest data network in the country. The problem is that outside of major towns and cities the reception is shlte. For example I can get no reception, 3g, or even voice if I go to Glendalough.

So really it depends where you live and where you travel. If you live in Dublin city and never leave Three are awesome. If you live in the middle of country and go hiking every weekend they are shlte

thats the thing i live in the country and i struggle for coverage if i walk down the hall i lose coverage and calls are dropped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've been all over the country with 3, and some of the best speeds I saw were in Cor, Waterford, Wexford, Donegal and Sligo, yet there are people on the Three forum that couldn't get a 3G signal in Dublin city centre. Same in Cork City, which has always been good for me, but not so good for others. Its a strange network.

all networks are releasing it this friday but with very limited stock. I went into o2 and three and they said they will have 7 phones in stock, first come first served.

Also there might be a possibility that i might go to college in england next year what happens if i break the contract ? will i get sued or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

whiterebel wrote: »
    I've been all over the country with 3, and some of the best speeds I saw were in Cor, Waterford, Wexford, Donegal and Sligo, yet there are people on the Three forum that couldn't get a 3G signal in Dublin city centre. Same in Cork City, which has always been good for me, but not so good for others. Its a strange network.

Put of that list I've been to Sligo and Donegal since I moved to 3 and I found it crappy in those areas.
    rdogg12794 wrote: »
    thats the thing i live in the country and i struggle for coverage if i walk down the hall i lose coverage and calls are dropped.

I might be wrong but I've always thought Vodafone had the best gneral overall coverage if you are living in stixsville followed by O2 (and by extension those using the O2 network such as emobile).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Does any body know how long it usually take from for new stock to come in after the first lot from past years

the girl in the shop said about a week later everything will be flowing as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

I strongly recommend you don't sign up to a contract with 3 or anyone else for that matter without checking the signal where you live. But 3 especially. They are the worst company I ever had the misfortune to be a customer of. Terrible coverage matched only by their customer service.

i have been with meteor and vodafone and the coverage was ok in some parts of the house. im currently on 48 go conquer and the coverage is good

• Advertisement

Actually, I think that looking at things as they stand at the moment, Three is the only network you buy an iPhone with. As things stand today.
    O2/Vodafone/Meteor & eMobile probably wont have stock in to allow you buy for another 3-4 weeks. (not counting the first 7 people into the store) The last time I looks at O2s data I laughed, they are offering people contracts with 150mbs a month. That is far too low. Personally I’m on wifi for 80% of my days and I’m burning through a gig. And that’s not heavy usage either. I’m currently with eMobile and they have a 2 gig monthly limit with suits now. BUT, If LTE comes in with in 2 years I will want my limit raised. Massively.
    People are signing up to contracts now with tiny data limits, when 4G does come in those limits will be eaten in a day. So Three’s all you can eat data is looking good at the moment

(As for coverage, I think it depends on where you are. (I think my house is lead lined))

Advertisement