Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret Millionaire..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I can't wait either :D

There will be a slight change to the show's format for the Cavan episode, the former billionaire will receive €2 million in pledges from the common folk of Cavan.

http://www.thejournal.ie/quinn-family-pledges-606788-Sep2012/

They'll probably play the programme in reverse to see Quinn taking the money back.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 doc19827

Kess73 wrote: »
    You would be wrong

Great news thank God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I understand where you are coming from, I'd love JP McManus to live in Limerick and pay his taxes here too but his foundation has done terrific work for Limerick and the Midwest.

The JP McManus Foundation donated €30.3m to local charities between 2007 and 2011.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cwauaukfidkf/rss2/

Give me JP McManus any day over someone likes of Bono. Bono lectures us all on third world debt while he enjoys his tax exile status and moved his business interests to Holland to reduce his tax liability. At least McManus is giving something back to his county.

I don't get the obsession with JP in Limerick. He is a tax exile, and scamming the goverment out of millions of euro every year.

It is unfair that I have to pay almost half of my meagre salary over to the goverment. I cannot afford helicopters to matches, a mansion in the country or Lionel Ritchie to play at my wedding. I would love to be able to donate my taxes to charities I personally support .I thought we lived in a democracy, and that all people were meant to be treated equally. Evidently wealth individuals are allowed live by differnt rules than the rest of us. As long as he remins a tax exile, and supports corrupt politicans like Bertie Ahern, it is difficult to have any respect for JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Panda100, I think you need to be careful with your choice of words. JP McManus is operating within the law, he is doing nothing wrong.

The fact of the matter is JP spends most of the year living abroad and almost all of his wealth is created outside of this country. He doesn't have to contribute to charities or other projects in Limerick or the Midwest but he chooses to do so of his own back. He could simply retain all of his wealth. I'm not from Limerick but I think JP has delivered more for the county than any political representative ever has.

However, I do think that the government needs to review the current tax policy, that allows multi-millionaires to live in Ireland for up to 183 days in a calendar year, or 280 days over a two-year period without having to pay full taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

panda100 wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with JP in Limerick. He is a tax exile, and scamming the goverment out of millions of euro every year.

It is unfair that I have to pay almost half of my meagre salary over to the goverment. I cannot afford helicopters to matches, a mansion in the country or Lionel Ritchie to play at my wedding. I would love to be able to donate my taxes to charities I personally support .I thought we lived in a democracy, and that all people were meant to be treated equally. Evidently wealth individuals are allowed live by differnt rules than the rest of us. As long as he remins a tax exile, and supports corrupt politicans like Bertie Ahern, it is difficult to have any respect for JP.

Would disagree with some of your comments on JP tbh. Yes he uses the current tax system to benefit himself, but I think your ire would be better served if aimed at those who allow such systems to exist in the first place. Really cannot blame a guy who uses a legal option that is in place.

As for living in a democracy, I think very few democratic societies are demorcratic in the truest sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Getting back on topic, I watched the show on SKY+ the other night, sure any old eejit would know what was going on, the Weston crowd must have had a meeting to decide what they wanted, how many times did they tell him they needed a bus? The soldiers didn't seem too shocked either.
    Still, fair play to all involved, it was good to see Weston portrayed in a positive if slightly depressing light, anything that helps keep kids out of trouble and allows a social outlet to the elderly is great, it wasn't the usual RTE/TV3 hatchet job on the city.
    The Cliona Ring foundation is a fabulous organisation, I pray I never need to see them in action close up and I hope Richard Mulcahy can make good on his promise to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

panda100 wrote: »

I think the likes of JP are smart enough to know that by giving the money charity it will go to a good cause, by paying taxes it will be going towards 1 of bertie ahern's pensions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

liammur wrote: »
    I think the likes of JP are smart enough to know that by giving the money charity it will go to a good cause, by paying taxes it will be going towards 1 of bertie ahern's pensions etc.

Too true Liammur, and also, he can sleep sound in the knowledge, that while his taxes are'nt wasted on Bertie Ahern, Mary Harney and Charlie McCreevy etc., yours are... he will however invite them to be his guests at his lavish parties

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcmanus-honours-horses-with-starstudded-party-3182672.html
    The top brass of previous Fianna Fail-led governments, including Bertie Ahern, Mary Harney and Charlie McCreevy, made their way to the billionaire's expansive estate in south Limerick last night for the celebration.

Were you invited?..... no? I did'nt think so.

Sound man our JP

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

jp is a legend.... that is all

jbkenn wrote: »
    Too true Liammur, and also, he can sleep sound in the knowledge, that while his taxes are'nt wasted on Bertie Ahern, Mary Harney and Charlie McCreevy etc., yours are... he will however invite them to be his guests at his lavish parties

Sound man our JP
    While it might be difficult to get an invite to one of JP's lavish parties, I know quite a few people whose lives have been made easier or more comfortable thanks to the €13m unit at Limerick’s Mid- Western Regional Hospital that provides life-saving facilities for patients with cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, stroke and a variety of other neurological conditions. The unit is mainly funded by the JP McManus Foundation.

• Advertisement

While it might be difficult to get an invite to one of JP's lavish parties, I know quite a few people whose lives have been made easier or more comfortable thanks to the €13m unit at Limerick’s Mid- Western Regional Hospital that provides life-saving facilities for patients with cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, stroke and a variety of other neurological conditions. The unit is mainly funded by the JP McManus Foundation.

True indeed , maybe JP took the opportunity, while he fed Mary Harney(the former Health Minister who landed us with the HSE ) Dom Perignon, to raise this exact point with her, then again, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

And just to add to this, without getting too personal, JP has made many contributions to local charities and causes that will never make the papers but have been of massive benefit to the people of Limerick.

The man can shove his money under his mattress for all I care after that! He isn't courting any self-promoting media spotlight for his contributions to local charities and is entitled to do with his money as he sees fit.

True indeed , maybe JP took the opportunity, while he fed Mary Harney(the former Health Minister who landed us with the HSE ) Dom Perignon, to raise this exact point with her, then again, maybe not.
    It was actually Micheál Martin who abolished the Health Boards and created the HSE but he could have been at the party too ;)

It was actually Micheál Martin who abolished the Health Boards and created the HSE but he could have been at the party too ;)

Probably was, if he could invite Lowry, and Willie O'Dea, who knows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

jp is a legend Lads and does great things for Limerick,

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mcmanus-honours-horses-with-starstudded-party-3182672.html

Sound man our JP

That's true, 1 has to be in with the politicians to get the tax breaks etc. No wonder the country is bust.
    I'd still prefer to see local charities benefit most though.

That's true, 1 has to be in with the politicians to get the tax breaks etc. No wonder the country is bust.
    I'd still prefer to see local charities benefit most though.

One does not have to be in with the politicians to get tax breaks. All one needs is the proper knowledge of what tax breaks exists or an account/legal team that are aware of the breaks.

A person would want to be fairly stupid not to avail of any legal tax breaks that were open to them. For as long as tax breaks/rebates etc are legally in place, they are fair game for anyone who can use them.

One does not have to be in with the politicians to get tax breaks. All one needs is the proper knowledge of what tax breaks exists or an account/legal team that are aware of the breaks.

A person would want to be fairly stupid not to avail of any legal tax breaks that were open to them. For as long as tax breaks/rebates etc are legally in place, they are fair game for anyone who can use them.

But do you not think the likes of Dermot Desmond, JP were not influencing the likes of bertie ahern on tax breaks, exile status etc ? i.e. JP would give €50m towards the national stadium (bertie bowl).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gambler-jp-to-stake-50m-in-giant-stadium-430392.html

But do you not think the likes of Dermot Desmond, JP were not influencing the likes of bertie ahern on tax breaks, exile status etc ? i.e. JP would give €50m towards the national stadium (bertie bowl).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gambler-jp-to-stake-50m-in-giant-stadium-430392.html

Legal tax breaks in Ireland pre date the likes of JP McManus & co. Close links between politicians and the mega rich is nowt new either and if the masses keep voting in those that keep the same old same old going, then the masses will have themselves to blame when nothing changes.

Legal tax breaks in Ireland pre date the likes of JP McManus & co. Close links between politicians and the mega rich is nowt new either and if the masses keep voting in those that keep the same old same old going, then the masses will have themselves to blame when nothing changes.

I've no problem with JP, he has done far more than the likes of Denis O Brien, but these guys influence politicians with a host of tax breaks/concessions, none more so than haughey & Desmond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The JP thing has been done to death on here numerous times

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The JP thing has been done to death on here numerous times

Yes, def gone off topic, but anyone who contributes to charity I say well done, incl R Mulcahy in that programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Anyone from Limerick with any knowledge of the man would surely not have a bad word to say about JP.

He bought the local GAA club's field off them to build his entrance to his house, but not alone did he buy the field, he bought them another ground, and built state of the art facilities on it.

He has been a massive supporter of sport in Limerick and only for him GAA in the county could be completely ruined. I couldn't give a flying **** if he has never paid a penny in taxes, he has given probably more back than what he would have paid. A fantastic man, who also happens to hire local people whenever he can.

Same old begrudgers on here, bitter at the culchie done good. Probably the same people that pass a charity collection every time they see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Anyone from Limerick with any knowledge of the man would surely not have a bad word to say about JP.

He bought the local GAA club's field off them to build his entrance to his house, but not alone did he buy the field, he bought them another ground, and built state of the art facilities on it.

He has been a massive supporter of sport in Limerick and only for him GAA in the county could be completely ruined. I couldn't give a flying **** if he has never paid a penny in taxes, he has given probably more back than what he would have paid. A fantastic man, who also happens to hire local people whenever he can.

Same old begrudgers on here, bitter at the culchie done good. Probably the same people that pass a charity collection every time they see it.

Sorry now, but this crap of "didnt he do great things for the GAA" lark is nonsense. I have great respect for JP for his successes in life and business....but not because of what he did for Limerick GAA, or Munster rugby or any other rubbish.

But lets call a spade a spade, This is the same mentality that has prominent GAA figures supporting the Quinn family up North. The same Quinn family that contributed hugely to the damage this country has suffered, purely on the logic of "sure, he's done great things for the GAA", "he's one of our own and we look after our own."

Thats the gombeen attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. Its pure parish pump stuff..and not what Limerick or Ireland needs anymore. This is not begrudgery, its bloody reality

"he fixed the road"...just doesnt cut it anymore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That'll be enough of that then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement