Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret Millionaire..

Options
  • 24-09-2012 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Tonight at 9:35 on RTE1.

EPG Info:

"Series in which a multimillionaire goes undercover in a deprived area. Millionaire businessman Richard Mulcahy leaves his privileged background behind to go undercover in Limerick".

Should be interesting at least!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I have it recording on the UPC, Dallas is more important :p

Secret Millionaire shall be tomorrow night's viewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I have it recording on the UPC, Dallas is more important :p

Secret Millionaire shall be tomorrow night's viewing!

Watching it on the saorview while I'm recording Dallas on the Sky! :p

You're after reminding me too- it'll be on the RTE Player! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This programme is silly. The first programme made was the only believable one as after that when a man came with a camera crew into an estate everyone knew what was happening. Word spreads very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

This programme is silly. The first programme made was the only believable one as after that when a man came with a camera crew into an estate everyone knew what was happening. Word spreads very fast.

I get what you mean, but can a programme where money is being given to worthy charities ever be silly? A bit pedantic by me I know.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I get what you mean, but can a programme where money is being given to worthy charities ever be silly? A bit pedantic by me I know.

Yes i agree but maybe they should drop the "secret" bit. In the Dundalk episode it was anything but secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Poor young girl. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

RikkFlair wrote: »

Heartbreaking.. Put things into perspective..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

At least it's not showing reel after reel of stab city, everybody is carrying a gun. Also no rugby rugby rugby ****e. Portrayal is to the point and not the usual rte/media witchhunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

RikkFlair wrote: »

That was fairly tough to watch alright, but her dad's positive "you just get on with it" attitude was really something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

are these repeats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

What's his story?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've been in floods of tears watching this programme :( I'm delighted that he gave the Cliona Ring Foundation a donation.

I went to college in Limerick, I loved my time there and I always found the vast majority of Limerick people to be very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I actually know a lot about the Cliona Ring Foundation and it is fantastic what they do.

At least some good comes out of the programme though! These groups would be a long time waiting for State support, particularly in the tough economic times we are in.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    At least some good comes out of the programme though! These groups would be a long time waiting for State support, particularly in the tough economic times we are in.

Yes indeed. That bus will be of great benefit to that community and must have cost a lot of money. Fair play to him.
    I wasn't running down the programme just that I believe it's not secret.

Yes indeed. That bus will be of great benefit to that community and must have cost a lot of money. Fair play to him.
    I wasn't running down the programme just that I believe it's not secret.
    Ah Tayto Lover, I know exactly what you mean and I know you weren't trying to run down the programme. I think Richard Mulcahy came across as a very genuine man and appeared to be significantly more generous that some of the previous Secret Millionaires.

I can't get that poor man and his daughter out of my head, it really puts things in perspective, some families get a very raw deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I didn't see the other programmes, but I must say a big thank you to R Mulcahy. Really shows up how poor our government and councils etc really are.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Refreshing to see the people of Limerick being represented for what they are, even in tough times and in disadvantaged communities the lovely true nature of Limerick people always shines through.. Their kindness, genorosity and community spirit is inspiring. And the pain endured by the Ring family and the family of that gorgeous little girl (Sarah, I think) is food for thought... Amazing people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I watched the programme last night thinking it was going to be another stab city programme. but i have to say it was a great programme to see what goes on in communities which in fairness most of limerick wouldnt know much about.

I think Limerick city council have a lot to answer for leaving estates get into such a state and the counsellor and the limerick manager handing over the keys for the pr of the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Two things about it:

He could not believe the council could let people live like that. It wasn't the council throwing rocks or setting fire to houses.

Funnily enough the grey haired/bearded homeless man is not homeless and has a house on the northside. He has other problems mind you but sleeps in a bed every night

For talk about previous millionaires. Anybody remember the guy living on an island in mayo. His island is for sale for a lot less than what he paid and things are not as good as previous days. He was the Egyptian/Irish guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 doc19827

Great to see the honest good folk of my city getting some recognition. I think people are very quick to forget that alot of good decent people live and were brought up in these areas. Like the girl who is a qualified solicitor being from Weston. A great achievement as I went to school with alot of people from the area and they generally dont make it beyond second year. However there is no point in hiding the fact that this is a highly troubled area with a huge amount of crime and anti social behaviour. Knowing the area well part of me thinks that new bus that mr mulchay supplied is well burnt out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Munstermad wrote: »
    Refreshing to see the people of Limerick being represented for what they are, even in tough times and in disadvantaged communities the lovely true nature of Limerick people always shines through.. Their kindness, genorosity and community spirit is inspiring. And the pain endured by the Ring family and the family of that gorgeous little girl (Sarah, I think) is food for thought... Amazing people!!

Brendan Ring is my boss. You simply couldn't meet a nicer family. Cliona was such a bright, funny and incredibly strong girl. No, young woman. I just caught up with this on the rte player on my lunch hour and it's amazing how strong some people are in the face of it all. I'm heading back to the office now to do some sponsor cards and stationery for the revamped website as well as the rest of my days work...

If ye get a mo, please visit
    www.clionasfoundation.com

And consider them in any fundraising events ye might have. Or spread the word via Facebook while this charity is fresh in people's minds.

I hope this is ok mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

doc19827 wrote: »
    Great to see the honest good folk of my city getting some recognition. I think people are very quick to forget that alot of good decent people live and were brought up in these areas. Like the girl who is a qualified solicitor being from Weston. A great achievement as I went to school with alot of people from the area and they generally dont make it beyond second year. However there is no point in hiding the fact that this is a highly troubled area with a huge amount of crime and anti social behaviour. Knowing the area well part of me thinks that new bus that mr mulchay supplied is well burnt out at this stage.

You would be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I thought last nights show was one of the better ones. Richard Mulcahy came across as a very down to earth man who seemed to understand what people needed, as in the Cliona Ring foundation needed nationwide advertising, which will bring in a lot more money than 5 or 10 thousand euro donation. The Bus was so well received it was great to see, as the woman said it will never be off the road and no eldery person will ever be left at home again. Superb programme, well done to all involved.

Kess73 wrote: »
    doc19827 wrote: »

You would be wrong
    The solicitor is from BCG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I work for an organisation that was featured on the Dublin programme a few weeks ago. I can honestly say I hadn't a clue that they were filming for the secret millionare. I really did think they were filming a documentary.

I didn't see last nights programme, however I do find the whole concept of these programmes quite patronising. Some rich person, who probably pays half the tax we do, making a big show of helping us poor plebs for a few days.
    While I think its important the media highlight the excellent work all these organisations and community initatives do,I don't think secret millionare is the best format to showcase it.

panda100 wrote: »
    I didn't see last nights programme, however I do find the whole concept of these programmes quite patronising. Some rich person, who probably pays half the tax we do, making a big show of helping us poor plebs for a few days.
    While I think its important the media highlight the excellent work all these organisations and community initatives do,I don't think secret millionare is the best format to showcase it.

I understand where you are coming from, I'd love JP McManus to live in Limerick and pay his taxes here too but his foundation has done terrific work for Limerick and the Midwest.

The JP McManus Foundation donated €30.3m to local charities between 2007 and 2011.
    The foundation is largely funding a €13m unit at Limerick’s Mid- Western Regional Hospital that will provide life-saving facilities for patients with cystic fibrosis, breast cancer, stroke and a variety of other neurological conditions.

Last year, the foundation received submissions from 241 charitable organisations and donated €4.77m to 146.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cwauaukfidkf/rss2/

Give me JP McManus any day over someone likes of Bono. Bono lectures us all on third world debt while he enjoys his tax exile status and moved his business interests to Holland to reduce his tax liability. At least McManus is giving something back to his county.

panda100 wrote: »
    I work for an organisation that was featured on the Dublin programme a few weeks ago. I can honestly say I hadn't a clue that they were filming for the secret millionare. I really did think they were filming a documentary.

I can't wait for the Sean Quinn episode in Cavan :)

• Advertisement

I can't wait for the Sean Quinn episode in Cavan :)
    I can't wait either :D

There will be a slight change to the show's format for the Cavan episode, the former billionaire will receive €2 million in pledges from the common folk of Cavan.

http://www.thejournal.ie/quinn-family-pledges-606788-Sep2012/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement