Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have no work to go to. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Drove in this morning. The heater was on, Nice music on the radio. I even stopped off for a coffee and Chocolate muffin!. And Yes I'll be doing it again tomorrow. Hell i've waited all summer for two days off! :D

Funny, I find myself more tired heading into work by not cycling in! Probably for two reasons. 1) I usually have to leave earlier and 2) the cycle wakes me up nicely. And though I do love driving, the idea of being stuck in traffic when I know it'd be half the time to get me in on the bike just wears at me!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Beasty wrote: »
    So who cycled into work today?
    Me, 12 degrees and sunny :D
    Beasty wrote: »
    and will you be doing it again tomorrow...
    unfortunately, no other choice. Epically heavy thundery nightmarish rain forecast :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dónal wrote: »
    Funny, I find myself more tired heading into work by not cycling in! Probably for two reasons. 1) I usually have to leave earlier and 2) the cycle wakes me up nicely. And though I do love driving, the idea of being stuck in traffic when I know it'd be half the time to get me in on the bike just wears at me!

Not a problem for me. I leave the house at the same time if i'm driving or cycling. When I drive, i've time to stop for coffee, where as when i cycle i don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

I like mornings like today. Loads of space in the bikeshed at work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I cycled in and out today and plan to for the rest of the week. It was only rain though, not any real wind. It's easier than battling with public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I found it okay today. It was wet but not that windy this morning, and on the way home I had a tailwind. I dug out my Gore-Tex boots, my waterproof trousers, and my buff, all of which I'd much rather not have to wear but it's not exactly a hardship and compared to the prospect of sitting in a stationary vehicle for ages there is absolutely no competition.

In actual fact, the prospect of sitting in traffic is what I find daunting, it could be said that by cycling to work I am wimping out of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm currently unemployed...but I cycled to town from Lucan earlier to pick up something in GameStop then done 2 laps from Lucan to Tallaght on the Outer Ring Road at around 9:30pm. I would have done a third lap had I known it was only 30km :( The only thing that bothers my is the sponges on my feet but at the same time once my shoes get soaked I get to purposely cycle through big puddles without needing to worry about it :D

The only problem I have is all my gear is soaked from being out twice today, I need to get some washing sorted if I hope to go out tomorrow. I've never not gone cycling as a result of the weather. Rain or shine, snow or floods. Ok the floods wasn't on purpose but you get the picture. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater wrote: »
    Cycled today. Probably could have done with mitts.
    Sigh, some people never learn. Though in my defence it felt warmer when taking the bike out of the shed this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Cycled in yesterday. Same today. Only a bit of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Need new brakes for my old bike, my stopping distance is way too long in the wet - nearly rear-ended a car that decided to stop suddenly to let a pedestrian cross. Any suggestions for pads for the wet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cycled yesterday and today. Won't cycle tomorrow because I'm not in tomorrow :pac:

Nearly got killed by a nice taxi driver and then some moron decided to try assault me with his golf umbrella.

The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Cycled in this morning, the wind was what was painful this morning! Not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Cycled in and out yesterday. I didn't think it was possible to go sideways on a bike. Then realised it wasn't. All good though.

I was the only person on the Grand Canal cycletrack in both directions, which would have been nice if I was able to get a good pace going. Fortunately I'd bought a new waterproof Winter jacket last week for this very purpose, and it worked great. Next up, waterproof overtrousers. Not working for another hour, but today looks nowhere near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

I find this tread very 'Elitist' tut tut :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

buffalo wrote: »
    Need new brakes for my old bike, my stopping distance is way too long in the wet - nearly rear-ended a car that decided to stop suddenly to let a pedestrian cross. Any suggestions for pads for the wet?
    I put Swissstop green on recently, and they've been brilliant. The Planet-X calipers probably help too. No cheap tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cycled in yesterday and today havent got wet yet (also no sign of storm force winds forecast up here ........ yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Wimped out yesterday, miserable drive in and out.
    Wimped out again today, working at home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

I cycled the last two days and did the ctb--> Allihies -> Eyeries -> CTB.. im wrecked today very windy both days. Resting today and back out to it again Thursday/Friday and rest on Saturday and do the Healy Pass on Sunday.

Evenings are rolling in too fast now, so the longer cycles will be ending soon, will start doing a hr before work and do the long cycles on Saturday and Sundays.

Starting using Strava last month i mainly use Sport-Tracker, its nice to see yourself improving.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/23031130

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not as windy as I expected this morning - indeed a quite tame 26kph NNWesterly. Still it pushed me to an average speed of just under 34kph. There was quite a bit of standing water, but nowhere near as bad as last night - the main problem was spotting the worst of it in the dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Great fun flitting by long long tailbacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cycled yesterday and again today. My recommendations for staying dry (as in, feet totally dry, rest of me hardly damp) are:

SKS Bluemel mudguards

and

PRO H2O Tarmac overshoes

I've never had a bike that could take full guards before but man-oh-man are they worth it!

Those pro overshoes also went through a few deep puddles and while they were soaked, they kept my feet totally dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Cycled in today, did a few intervals on the Cruagh climb. Managed to get a couple pbs on Strava, the tail wind might have helped there a bit.

Some nice waterfalls up there after the second bridge. Hadn't noticed them before. Also the view overlooking Dublin was fantastic, almost like a painting in a story book.

Descending wasn't much fun, parts of the upper sections are well flooded and there are tons of debris everywhere. Have to get some better gloves, by the second bridge wasn't able to feel the brake levers properly anymore.

Does anyone have any recommendations for overtrousers? Online or LBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Elements +1 Kerry4sam 0 : today Monday 24th.

I normally don't cycle to work anyways, but this morning was so bad I didn't even go for a spin before-work :o

So add me to me Wimp-list for today! :) Tomorrow will be different though, I can feel it!

Elements 0 Kerry4sam +1 : Tuesday 25th.

I am coming off this wimp-list! :D I'm working a split-shift today so went for my spin after the early section. Now time for some zzzzzz before returning to work again this evening :)

I am staying off your wimp-list Beasty! I am too competitive to allow the weather to keep me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't even bother with waterproof trousers any more tbh, but if you're going for them, then I do recommend these. They fit more like a pair of jeans, as opposed to the usual really flappy material you get in cheap waterproofs.

Expensive, but they're bombproof and completely watertight.

They look perfect, thanks Seamus. I'm working someplace different every time, so I don't really have the chance to change out of bike gear, and I'd rather not have a wet ass every morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Don't normally cycle to work but want to start, especially as lately the traffic has gone mental again. Dug the old MTB out a few weeks back, cleaned her up and got her running smoothly for my commutes. Came in a couple of times on it, but it died a sudden death. After a nice weekend, I made my mind up I was going to cycle into work this week.

Monday morning, the wife asked me to bring no.1 girl to school cause it was lashing. "No" I said, "I'm on the bike today!" Didn't find it to bad wind wise, but plenty of surface water to skid through. Have myself a good quality waterproof cycling jacket so everything under that was bone dry. Need to get a proper pair of wet trousers, cause even with Mudguards, my arse was ringing. Schoolboy error though, I was packing up my work clothes and even though I made a mental note to put them in a plastic bag, I forgot so they got a bit wet.

Need to sort the brakes out on my bike though, they are lethal, one thing I overlooked when doing it up that time, and only really noticing it in the wet weather. A good tighten should suffice as the pads seem good enough.

Was pleaded with this morning to do school run so it didn't take much persuasion, I drove and dropped off at school. I'm putting it down to unsafe brakes and nothing else. Once I get them sorted, nothing will stop me!! :rolleyes:
    I find this tread very 'Elitist' tut tut :D

I was thinking the same. Maybe we should go to the cycle commuting forum for this thread!
    OldBean wrote: »

Try Aldi this week for specials!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

stevieob wrote: »
    Need to sort the brakes out on my bike though, they are lethal, one thing I overlooked when doing it up that time, and only really noticing it in the wet weather. A good tighten should suffice as the pads seem good enough.

I'm putting it down to unsafe brakes and nothing else.

If the pads are original on the bike you'd do well to replace them anyhow. The rubber will dry out over time and become less effective. New pads should make a big difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I would have cycled in (honest!) but was stuck travelling in the UK where the weather was just as good. Nah - who am I kidding? I'd would have wussed out.

Advertisement