Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best female MC.

Options
  • 24-09-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭

Vote away, drop a comment if i've left anybody worthy of the GOAT title out.

Greatest female MC 36 votes

MC Lyte
    0% 0 votes
    Missy Eliott
    11% 4 votes
    Lauryn Hill
    13% 5 votes
    Eve
    52% 19 votes
    Rah Digga
    0% 0 votes
    Da Brat
    0% 0 votes
    Foxy Brown
    0% 0 votes
    Lil Kim
    0% 0 votes
    Monie Love
    8% 3 votes
    Queen Latifah
    0% 0 votes
    Yo-Yo
    0% 0 votes
    Jean Grae
    0% 0 votes
    Salt n Peppa
    8% 3 votes
    Lil Wayne
    0% 0 votes
    None of the above
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I vote Yarah Bravo, because she's the hottest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Azealia Banks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Will Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Azealia Banks

I said MC, she's barely a rapper and has apparently retired after her 1 song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Lauryn Hill, even if you don't count the stuff she did with the Fugees.
    And she can sing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I said MC, she's barely a rapper and has apparently retired after her 1 song.

Don't be disingenuous. She has a good few rap songs (in fact, I've heard hardly any songs where she sings). She can and does rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

MC Lyte by far!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Don't be disingenuous. She has a good few rap songs (in fact, I've heard hardly any songs where she sings). She can and does rap.

Except when she announces retirement and cancelled gigs.

Except when she announces retirement and cancelled gigs.

Like no one's ever done that before. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Like no one's ever done that before. :rolleyes:

This early in their career? This often?

• Advertisement

This early in their career? This often?

Does it really matter that much if she wants to retire? How many times has Jay-Z pretended to retire at this stage? Sure, we all know it's a crock of sh*t. And I haven't even heard anything about this anyway. Last I heard, her album is due to be released next February and she's been uploading new videos onto Youtube quite frequently. And how many gigs has she actually cancelled besides Electric Picnic? And I thought the reasoning behind this was because of working on the album?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

How many times has Jay-Z pretended to retire at this stage?

Once

And how many gigs has she actually cancelled besides Electric Picnic? And I thought the reasoning behind this was because of working on the album?

It was because she has one song. One.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

L Boogie is always going to win this.

Though Jean Greazy would tear her a knew one in a battle!
    There was a time I thought I actually loved Jean!

It was because she has one song. One.

She has more than that.

floggg wrote: »
    Once

And it was still stupid.

She has more than that.

So do you think she could play a whole set and keep the crowd moving without playing 212 more than once? If not she's not an MC, she's a rapper and not a great one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lady sovereign

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

biko wrote: »
    Lady sovereign

I'd fu*king ride her.
    Mine would be Honey Cocaine.
    I'd ride her as well. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Wheres Nicki Minaj?

• Advertisement

So do you think she could play a whole set and keep the crowd moving without playing 212 more than once? If not she's not an MC, she's a rapper and not a great one at that.

Well, I saw her live and she played a lot more than 212 and everyone was pretty into it. We all had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

areyawell wrote: »
    Wheres Nicki Minaj?

Hopefully in a hole somewhere.

A very large hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Bahamadia and Ladybug Mecca from Dilated Peoples need to be on that list

I was very tempted to give Lil Wayne my vote! Seemed a bit insulting to the rest of the girls in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I was the same as Kelly, so tempted to give Lil wayne the nod, god knows he sounds like a young one on the mic with all his mumbling and squealing.

I voted for missy purely because Iv listened to and enjoyed her music the most out of the list, I know theres better rappers above but like I said I enjoy her older music a lot even though all I heard was her commercial stuff (never really bother with female hip hop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

MC Lyte

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    Bahamadia and Ladybug Mecca from Dilated Peoples need to be on that list

Of course you mean Digable Planets, not Dilated Peoples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are many female MC's that come and go and never really sustain a proper career. Here are a few that I really like:

Bo$$ - Only released one album that was pretty amazing, and never heard of since.

Bahamadia - Released Kollage which was amazing and the follow up album was great as well. She first featured on a Digable Planets track many many years ago. She recently re-surfaced with a few guest features in the past few years.

Eternia - Dope female MC, released an album a couple of years back called 'At Last' which I still dip into.

Dessa - From Doomtree, 2 albums (and a remix project) under her lovely belt and features on all the Doomtree projects. She has recently released books and a range of lipstick as well. The lipstick is all for charity as well.

Lady of Rage - We all know about her, her solo album is incredible. I dusted off my copy not so long ago and was amazed at how well it still sounds. Apparently, there is an album with Premo in the works.

Missy - I really liked Missy's music, but, it was really Timberland that made her sound good....

This list could go on, but my favorites would be lady of Rage and Dessa.

Lauren Hill had her moment, but didnt capitalise on it. Her work with the Fugees and her solo albums are great. But I don't see her as one of the greatest, mainly because her solo albums are not really hip hop at all. I love MisEducation, but I dont listen to it as a hip hop record.
    She is also starting to tour with Nas now, but it's purely to make some money as she owes the IRS millions. Any new music she releases will be purely to sell albums to pay off her tax bills.

Advertisement