Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"off season" plans

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

tunney wrote: »
    Apologies. Cross wires.

In Peter's four year plan to doing an ironman. I disagree. I think it should really be a five year plan :)

Feck , it was hard enough to convince the wife to let me train for 7.5 months to do the Hardman, there is no way I would get the go ahead to train for 4 or 5 years for an Ironman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Feck , it was hard enough to convince the wife to let me train for 7.5 months to do the Hardman, there is no way I would get the go ahead to train for 4 or 5 years for an Ironman ;)

You don't say "I'm doing an IM in 5 years, gotta start training for it"

one year address one weakness, another year another weakness and so on and so on. After a few years of sensible proper training its really something that you are not something that you do and its easier to sell to OHs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You don't say "I'm doing an IM in 5 years, gotta start training for it"

one year address one weakness, another year another weakness and so on and so on. After a few years of sensible proper training its really something that you are not something that you do and its easier to sell to OHs.

And build up your time spent training gradually so that when you start training for an IM she doesn't give out because ''you spend WAY more time training now than you did last year'' ;)

No man will ever trick me. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

And build up your time spent training gradually so that when you start training for an IM she doesn't give out because ''you spend WAY more time training now than you did last year'' ;)

No man will ever trick me. :cool:

Or by the time that IM year comes along you are very organised and have over the last five years proved that she is more important than anything but this makes you happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

may be a silly question but during the "Winter months"
    what do people work on in training, is the old age idea of low intensity endurance, and building the base before adding intensity or has the direction changed to including more intense training earlier on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I wouldn't get too carried away here...as tunney said in a previous post/life, (paraphrasing here...) "As long as you don't drown, any reasonably fit adult can get around an IM inside the time limit".

I met a couple of guys at IM CH who took pride in the fact that they hadn't trained for it and they finished, well inside the cut off.

Sure, it isn't clever and to optimize your performance, a 4-5 year horizon is probably required, but there are all shapes and sizes at an IM start line and there is a surprisingly low DNF rate - it is now replacing the marathon as the new "box to be ticked".

The main barrier to entry to IM is likely to be cost, rather than fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

BennyMul wrote: »
    may be a silly question but during the "Winter months"
    what do people work on in training, is the old age idea of low intensity endurance, and building the base before adding intensity or has the direction changed to including more intense training earlier on?

Some do.

The faster IMers who post here tend not to.

They tend to count back 12 weeks from their IM date and treat that as the start of their specific race prep.

In short, they would then split the time between now and then into, say 3 week blocks, and deal with known weaknesses and getting strong and fast using sport specific strength and 400m swim/ftp/10k run benchmarks as measures.

Having said that, if someone is in year 1 (or 2 or 3!) and trying to do an ironman endurance is probably the weakness so long and slow may well be the answer!

Endurancenation would appear to be the ultimate advocates of the speed first stance.

It would be good to flesh out some thoughts on how to address some of the more common weaknesses or limiters, such as ideas on how to build ftp over 6 weeks without killing your running or swimming etc.

Edited to add Tunneys earlier post - leaving out the controversial bit that sidetracked us all!:
    There is no right answer. It depends on so many factors.

*Desired martial status (married/divorced)
    *Kids
    *Type of job
    *Years in the sport
    *Strengths and weaknesses

However I'd go with a minimum of ten hours

3 swims (one speed, one endurance and, depending on the swimmer, one strength or technique swim)
    2-3 bikes (one longer (3 hours min), one intense)
    4-5 runs (one longer, one strength or speed)
    3 core sessions a week (10 minutes each)

Advertisement