Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"off season" plans

Options
  • 24-09-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I presume nearly everyones season is over now.

I've signed up for my first IM, so i want to keep doing something.
    The plan is to back right off for the next three or four weeks (will still cycle to work (26km) every day and go to the gym most days), and then for November and December i want to do one swim session, one run and one cycle, as well as at least two classes of Pilates.

Whats everyone elses plans ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Short term - give blood, drink pints on a school night, go to Run Lola Run in the IFI

The rest of the off-season - indoor rock-climbing, CX races, swimming, DIY, Night classes, 2 gappers, Sunday Plods, quality time with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

The "off season" starts with the negotiations for next year - haven't found the right moment yet for the IM chat...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Off season? :confused: Backing off? :confused: Family? :confused: Friends? :confused:

Confused. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Find my mojo and get off my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭griffin100

Learn how to swim!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    I presume nearly everyones season is over now.

I've signed up for my first IM, so i want to keep doing something.
    The plan is to back right off for the next three or four weeks (will still cycle to work (26km) every day and go to the gym most days), and then for November and December i want to do one swim session, one run and one cycle, as well as at least two classes of Pilates.

Whats everyone elses plans ?

Respect. I couldn't manage five training sessions a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Wouldnt be from a lack of trying though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

currently in the middle of 2 weeks off on my arse on holidays and i mean on my arse doing NOTHING !

Back next week, starting a new job and no more commuting ! I have Up & Over next year so pre training begins until middle of Dec, 2 weeks off and then from Jan its solid work to get ready for it.

Main focus for 10 weeks in weight loss, the vain of my life. I wonder how fit i am compared to others seeing as i'm dragging 3 or 4 stone extra around the course, its "what if" when i think what improvement would i see with the same level of fitness but with even 2 stone less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

griffin100 wrote: »
    Learn how to swim!!

+1

I have work to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

:cool:

a week obviously

• Advertisement

Wouldnt be from a lack of trying though...

Yes I have done five a days :) Not that many but a few, and obviously not recently.
    :cool:

a week obviously

Well my comment was tongue in cheek. Trying to suggest that five sessions was something more appropriate to a day than a week.

If you leave getting back to training until January (as 1 swim, 1 cycle and 1 run is not even maintenance levels of training) then you'll struggle.

The "off season" does not mean "do fvck all", it means there are no races, it doesn't mean no training.

You are doing IM Austria. You will do a 16-18 week block of training before it and call it your "Ironman block". Its not. Its a block that will allow you to assemble the pieces of training that you have done into one piece. The speed you swim 4km at entering this block - thats the best pace you will swim at in your IM (obviously if you do a 4km swim in a pool and then a 2.9km swim in an IM you might think you've swam faster, you've just swam shorter). The wattage you hold for a 4-5 hour ride, thats the best you'll hold. Your long run pace, thats the best you will hold.

The final 16-18 weeks won't make you any faster, it just puts the pieces together.

Off season for me and mine means lots of bike work (endurance, speed and strength) and a good chunk of run work too.

"Swim like your gonna drown, Ride like you stole it and Run like they are chasing you."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

"Swim like your gonna drown, Ride like you stole it and Run like they are chasing you."

With Halloween coming soon that should be easy to do. F*cking knac*ers

Yes I have done five a days :) Not that many but a few, and obviously not recently.

Well my comment was tongue in cheek. Trying to suggest that five sessions was something more appropriate to a day than a week.

If you leave getting back to training until January (as 1 swim, 1 cycle and 1 run is not even maintenance levels of training) then you'll struggle.

The "off season" does not mean "do fvck all", it means there are no races, it doesn't mean no training.

You are doing IM Austria. You will do a 16-18 week block of training before it and call it your "Ironman block". Its not. Its a block that will allow you to assemble the pieces of training that you have done into one piece. The speed you swim 4km at entering this block - thats the best pace you will swim at in your IM (obviously if you do a 4km swim in a pool and then a 2.9km swim in an IM you might think you've swam faster, you've just swam shorter). The wattage you hold for a 4-5 hour ride, thats the best you'll hold. Your long run pace, thats the best you will hold.

The final 16-18 weeks won't make you any faster, it just puts the pieces together.

Off season for me and mine means lots of bike work (endurance, speed and strength) and a good chunk of run work too.

interesting. so how many hours training (A WEEK ;)) would you recommend in November and December ??

interesting. so how many hours training (A WEEK ;)) would you recommend in November and December ??

+1 as i know i have a lot of work to do to even be ready for Jan and building towards Aug !

There is no right answer. It depends on so many factors.
    *Desired martial status (married/divorced)
    *Kids
    *Type of job
    *Years in the sport
    *Strengths and weaknesses

However I'd go with a minimum of ten hours

3 swims (one speed, one endurance and, depending on the swimmer, one strength or technique swim)
    2-3 bikes (one longer (3 hours min), one intense)
    4-5 runs (one longer, one strength or speed)
    3 core sessions a week (10 minutes each)

278 days to Austria, time is fast running out. Remember as well increases in fitness cannot/will not happen at the same time as decreases in body mass.

:(
    There is no right answer. It depends on so many factors.
    *Desired martial status (married/divorced)
    *Kids
    *Type of job
    *Years in the sport
    *Strengths and weaknesses

However I'd go with a minimum of ten hours

3 swims (one speed, one endurance and, depending on the swimmer, one strength or technique swim)
    2-3 bikes (one longer (3 hours min), one intense)
    4-5 runs (one longer, one strength or speed)

278 days to Austria, time is fast running out. Remember as well increases in fitness cannot/will not happen at the same time as decreases in body mass.

i just followed through............cheers for that :(

what do you mean by the bit in bold ?

just to finish me off, how many hours would you be looking to clock up around March/April ?

:(

i just followed through............cheers for that :(

Don't get ya?
    what do you mena by the bit in bold ?

Weight loss and fitness gains are, by and large, mutually exclusive. You cannot get fitter while getting leaner. Pick one.
    just to finish me off, how many hours would you be looking to clock up around March/April ?

Its more important WHAT you do rather than how much in my opinion. If I still have any bicycles in March/April I personally would expect 16-18 hours a week.

Don't get ya?

Weight loss and fitness gains are, by and large, mutually exclusive. You cannot get fitter while getting leaner. Pick one.

Its more important WHAT you do rather than how much in my opinion. If I still have any bicycles in March/April I personally would expect 16-18 hours a week.

I meant i **** myself

i'm missing this one entirely, surely as you get fitter you would get more lean ??

IF you still have any cycles left in March ????? :confused:
    Why wouldnt you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I meant i **** myself

i'm missing this one entirely, surely as you get fitter you would get more lean ??

Why wouldnt you ?

When he doesn't train enough this winter his wife is going to sell them all.

I meant i **** myself
    Got ya

Small amounts of fat loss yes. however if you significantly fail the jiggle test (i.e. weight is a primary limiter for you) then this fat loss cannot happen while getting fitter. The calorie deficit required to shift significant amounts of weight means that you cannot get proper training done.
    Why wouldnt you ?

Wife. "Training properly, 2009/2010 style or I sell the bikes" She is serious. Training plan for next fornight being submitted tomorrow and have to stick to. Was meant to be today but my liver fell out over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

For me the "off season" will be 8-10 weeks of weight training combined with bike strength/force work (aiming to gain 2-3 kg) with more traditional training starting late November/early December with the usual 1x (strength/speed/endurance) session per sport per week (9 sessions) minimum, along with a club cycle on Sunday and some gym based maintenance work.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

What are you doing for your core sessions? Gym work or some exercises at home on the floor?

I've started doing them 3 times a week, to try and increase hip stability and reduce the amount of injuries I pick up.

Do a set this 5 times:
    Plank: 1min
    Leg raise(lying on back with both legs raised an inch from the floor) : 20 seconds
    Clam: 20 each side.
    Scissors :20 each side.(Lying on side raise leg to roof)
    Bridge : 20

Looking for a few more core/glute exercises to mix it up a little. Have some weights for ankles and some 7.5kg weights I'll add in later on to keep increasing the resistance as I get stronger.

Briando wrote: »
    What are you doing for your core sessions? Gym work or some exercises at home on the floor?

I've started doing them 3 times a week, to try and increase hip stability and reduce the amount of injuries I pick up.

Do a set this 5 times:
    Leg raise(lying on back with both legs raised an inch from the floor) : 20 seconds

Looking for a few more core/glute exercises to mix it up a little. Have some weights for ankles and some 7.5kg weights I'll add in later on to keep increasing the resistance as I get stronger.

Crunch x 30
    Bicycle x 40
    Dorsal Raises x 20
    V set x 20
    Bum lifts x 10
    Plank for 60 seconds
    Left side plank for 30 seconds
    Right side plank for 30 seconds
    Pike x 10
    Plank for 90 seconds
    Left side plank for 30 seconds
    Right side plank for 30 seconds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Briando wrote: »

Do a set this 5 times:

Get a medicine ball. Ankle/wrist weights aren't great IMO. Good for rehab but not when you're doing specific strength stuff.

With medicine ball
    Squat to press, med ball chops, med ball walk

Progress your plank to side plank, plank with one leg off the ground, other leg of the ground, one arm up, other arm up, one leg and oppossing arm up etc
    Progress your bridge

Single leg lunge, reverse strides

With swimming, you might want to do a bit of stuff for your shoulders. An old injury means I have problems with a weak right shoulder - if I don't keep up the right strength stuff I could be doing little to no swimming for weeks. I don't think shoulder stuff is really a common thing with triathletes though...

Small amounts of fat loss yes. however if you significantly fail the jiggle test (i.e. weight is a primary limiter for you) then this fat loss cannot happen while getting fitter. The calorie deficit required to shift significant amounts of weight means that you cannot get proper training done.

That is true, while i upped my training i lost little or no weight. i have a 10 week period now where i can focus on it before proper fitness begins in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That is true, while i upped my training i lost little or no weight. i have a 10 week period now where i can focus on it before proper fitness begins in Jan.

+1

I'm running like a lunatic and still packing a fair wallop of insulation. I'm hoping to go lean, lean, lean over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The calorie deficit required to shift significant amounts of weight means that you cannot get proper training done.

So is the off season the time to focus on calorie deficit and the proper training kicks in then after that when the weight is optimal? I'm in a chicken or egg state of mind again - which comes first?
    Do you find the weight drops again when the proper training kicks in? Or do you manage to fuel it to equilibrium?
    +1
    I'm running like a lunatic and still packing a fair wallop of insulation. I'm hoping to go lean, lean, lean over the winter.

Do you think calorie deficit is the main way to go to get lean then or is it also a combination of strength and aero training :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

RedB wrote: »
    Do you think calorie deficit is the main way to go to get lean then or is it also a combination of strength and aero training :confused:

I've been tinkering with ideas since reading Racing Weight. Main thing I've done is pulled the processed carbs out of my diet all together. I've a ferocious sweet-tooth that would put all the 'Confessions' to shame if I didnt control it.

I gotta plan it a bit yet, but essentially for me I think, managing the diet, low intensity exercise and variety of exercise will be the plan to cut the spare tyre. Low stress exercise, regular feeding, plenty of water, no treats & SLEEP should make a difference for me.

As always open to opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

miller82 i would recommned to reduce Alcohol intensity by 40 % in the off season but still drink consitently so you dodnt become a lightweight. if Spirits are your weakness focus on them if Conagc is your weaknes focus on that and if Rum is your weakness focus on rum....
    and if you cant hold the glass then strenght training is seriously needed
    Remember winter training is summer pleasure.
    hope that helps a bit and dont let anybody scare you, have fun
    and many peole have walked the marathon with much more tarining ;-)
    unless you are really serious than you listen to what dave said at least you can say you really trained hard and you walked because you had nutrition issues.
    and once you are an sub 10 Ironman send me an email and we talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

peter kern wrote: »
    miller82 i would recommned to reduce Alcohol intensity by 40 % in the off season but still drink consitently so you dodnt become a lightweight. if Spirits are your weakness focus on them if Conagc is your weaknes focus on that and if Rum is your weakness focus on rum....
    and if you cant hold the glass then strenght training is seriously needed
    Remember winter training is summer pleasure.
    hope that helps a bit and dont let anybody scare you, have fun
    and many peole have walked the marathon with much more tarining ;-)
    unless you are really serious than you listen to what dave said at least you can say you really trained hard and you walked because you had nutrition issues.
    and once you are an sub 10 Ironman send me an email and we talk.

that was my understanding of winter training - build your aerobic base with more volume and less intensity while working on your limiters, although I find that hard in the winter weather, but then summer wasn't great for long cycles!!! I think you can't just to do a big block of volume before your ironman, you will prob just get sick/injured.

Advertisement