Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BbSean

I think some of them are fairly self explanatory.

#1: Oil rig being deployed
    #2: SR-71 Blackbirds being built
    #3: Crank shaft(?) from a ships engine
    #4: Not entirely sure
    #5: Looks like the internal of an MRI machine
    #6: It a brick laying machine
    #7: Looks like part of a bridge
    #8: No clue
    #9: Looks like it belongs in the LHC.

#4 looks like a press for making large metal pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Here's a site with the 9 images (+ 21 more), captions included: https://www.odometer.com/pop-culture/2329300/28-logic-defying-machines-that-will-wreck-your-sense-of-scale/

The captions for our nine are:
    1. Versabar's VB 10,000 Oil Rig Remover (the pessimists have it)
    2. SR-71 Blackbirds On The Production Line
    3. 100,000 Horsepower Diesel Engine Crankshaft
    4. Nuclear Reactor Being Made In Forge
    5. Inner Workings Of A CT Scanner
    6. Tiger-Stone Brick Laying Machine
    7. TY900 Girder Transporter
    8. World's Largest Enclosed Ferris Wheel (Alem Cultural and Entertainment Center in Turkmenistan)
    9. US Navy Electromagnetic Railgun (Video of test firing)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fair play for doing all that research, Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

I think we should have a no context pics thread. Would make some brains on here explode apparently.

460312.jpg

460313.jpg

MOD: <<SNIP>>No animal cruelty.

460315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

New Home wrote: »
    Fair play for doing all that research, Robert.
    I just cropped and used #4 to do a reverse image search on TinEye and it was the first result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I just cropped and used #4 to do a reverse image search on TinEye and it was the first result ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeh, but, like, the effort! :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    I think we should have a no context pics thread. Would make some brains on here explode apparently.

460312.jpg

460313.jpg

MOD: <<SNIP>>No animal cruelty.

460315.jpg

The first and the last would fit in the WTF thread. The second in YLYL or WTF. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

The last one is a big spinning thing like a centrifuge/wall of death, where everyone lies against the pads except for our standing hero.
    I think.

New Home wrote: »
    Thefirst and the last would fit in the WTF thread. The second in YLYL or WTF. :)

Sorry about the chubby hamster post, don't know the proper name.

I assumed they just had him on their for a few seconds to take the picture, at least I hope so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

The whole world used to ask “will I ever use algebra”

Then Facebook was invented.

Now the whole world argues about pictures like this.

https://goo.gl/images/QkhMpA

its 16, right?

• Advertisement

Sorry about the chubby hamster post, don't know the proper name.

I assumed they just had him on their for a few seconds to take the picture, at least I hope so.

1. It was a guinea pig. :)
    and
    2. It could've been a photoshop job, too, but there are ssssooo many sick, twisted people out there I wouldn't put it past them to actually do it, or to get inspired by pictures like that and try it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If it was a guinea pig, then it was probably just some kind of experiment.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

its 16, right?

14;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

dulpit wrote: »
    14;)

How did I get 14 then? :o

Apple 10
    3 Bananas 3
    1 coconut 1

Where am I going wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How did I get 14 then? :o

Apple 10
    3 Bananas 3
    1 coconut 1

Where am I going wrong

You got it there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Any hope of banning pics in YLYL about Vegans / Vegan bashing. Does anyone actually find it funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Some of them are funny, most of them aren't. Luckily my scrolling finger is still in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Some of them are funny, most of them aren't. Luckily my scrolling finger is still in great shape.

Ah yeah I know "funny" is subjective but it seems like a constant bitching over and back

I'm disappointed that Repeal the YLYL8th title wasn't voted for. It was far more clever than the shock value of the Vegan one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Oh it is but short of putting everyone that takes part on ignore there isn't anything to be done.
    I was just being a smart arse. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I'm disappointed that Repeal the YLYL8th title wasn't voted for. It was far more clever than the shock value of the Vegan one.

Both very divisive titles.

Should be disqualified and replaced with third place finisher. Completely vested interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well, John de Britto was the scion of a powerful aristocratic Portuguese family; his father, Salvador de Britto Pereira, died while serving as Viceroy of the Portuguese colony of Brazil. He joined the Jesuits in 1662, studying at the famous University of Coimbra. He travelled to the missions of Madurai, in Southern India, present-day Tamil Nadu, in 1673 and preached the Christian religion in the region of the Maravar country. He renamed himself Arul Anandar (அருளானந்தர்) in Tamil. The ruler of the Maravar country imprisoned him in 1684. Having been expelled, he returned to Lisbon in 1687 and worked as a missions procurator. King Pedro II wanted him to stay, but in 1690 he returned to the Maravar country with 24 new missionaries.

The Madurai Mission was a bold attempt to establish an Indian Catholic Church that was relatively free of European cultural domination. As such, Britto learned the native languages, went about dressed in yellow cotton, and lived like a தமிழ் Thuravi/Sanyaasi, abstaining from every kind of animal food and from wine. St John de Britto tried to teach the Catholic faith in categories and concepts that would make sense to the people he taught. This method, proposed and practiced by Roberto de Nobili, met with remarkable success. Britto remained a strict vegan until the end of his life, rejecting meat, fish, eggs and alcohol, and living only on legumes, fruits and herbs.

John de Britto's preaching led to the conversion of Thadiyathevan (தடியத் தேவன்), a Marava prince who had several wives. When Thadiyathevan was required to dismiss all his wives but one, a serious problem arose. One of the wives was a niece of the neighbouring king, the Sethupathi (சேதுபதி), the King of Ramnad and a ravenous meat eater, who took up her quarrel and began a general persecution of Christians. Britto and the catechists were taken and carried to the capital, Ramnad. Thence he was led to Oriyur (ஓரியூர்), some 30 miles northward along the coast, where he was executed on 4 February 1693.

As de Britto lay dying, with his last breath he whispered his hope that one day, vegans and meat eaters could live in harmony and equality. And so it came to pass on the Irish forum, boards.ie, where both meat eaters and vegans were given equal opportunity to post unfunny memes about the other, helping to break down centuries of distrust between the two species with the aid of non-humorous cartoons and forging a new dawn for the whole world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

wally79 wrote: »
    Both very divisive titles.

Should be disqualified and replaced with third place finisher. Completely vested interest

They should have gone for YLYL Nein - Lachen macht frei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They should have gone for YLYL Nein - Lachen macht frei

I guess it would have had the advantage that everybody could be equally outraged over the inevitable nazi memes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Clearly it should have been called "YLYL Nein - If you know what I meme" but I only just thought of it now, so shame on you all really.

Oh shush, Phteven!

gozunda wrote: »
    Car Bears

nintchdbpict000271260185.jpg

Goldilocks is getting smarter, she has a getaway car, now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Any hope of banning posts in CV&P&LDT asking for pics in YLYL about Vegans / Vegan bashing to be banned? Does anyone actually find worth repeating the same request over and over again when simple ignore/scroll past is available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

quickbeam wrote: »
    Any hope of banning posts in CV&P&LDT asking for pics in YLYL about Vegans / Vegan bashing to be banned? Does anyone actually find worth repeating the same request over and over again when simple ignore/scroll past is available?

I’d be on for asking posts asking for vegan posts that ask for vegan posts to be banned, to be banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement