Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen of Hip Hop is back - Missy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Rjd2 wrote: »

Again, it's a good song, but I personally don't think it's great.

That song kinda proves my point though - any R&B singer could play that role. Don't believe me? Check the video for it - the woman who sang on Gravel Pit fills in for MJB and does so fairly well.

On the plus side, gave me an excuse to play Ironman again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

It does sound daft given R. Kelly and Usher and Chris Brown are all fairly ****e.

That'd be the main difference between them and Mary J.

R kelly owned Rnb back in the day and only a fool would say no. point is, R kelly is just as succesful and big if not more then Mary J and who also had lots of guest apperance with hip hop artists but it DOESNT mean R kelly is a hop hop artist the same way Mary J is not either!

Chris brown is more hip hop then both those two put together though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

No he's not, he's a pop singer, barely RnB never mind hip hop. Does beautiful people which is arguably his biggest song have anything hip hop orientated involved in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    No he's not, he's a pop singer, barely RnB never mind hip hop. Does beautiful people which is arguably his biggest song have anything hip hop orientated involved in it?

He was RnB, and went Pop. He was never Hip Hop imo.

listen to "Look at Me Now" plus his whole mixtape album he done last year where he rapped on 9/10 of the tracks on it.

"Deuces and no bull are very much Rnb if you listened to it properly. that is not a pop song especially the latter.

pop is something like lady gagga, britney spears etc. Rnb is usually slow tempo songs with sexual/love lyrics.

Check out R kelly's old work and Ginuwine, Boyz to men, jagged edge and Tyrese, all Rnb and Dueces and no bull sounds exactly like the same sort of music Ginuwine and co have put out before rather then what lady gagga or kate perry has put out.

i dont think some people here actually know what RnB is and cant distinguise the difference of it and automatically think that if a well know selling artists sings instead of raps, he or she is a pop star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

i dont think some people here actually know what RnB is and cant distinguise the difference of it and automatically think that if a well know selling artists sings instead of raps, he or she is a pop star

aah here that's rich coming from you, you think because chris brown has rapped that makes him a hip hop artist, there's a difference between being able to rap and being a hip hop artist.

aah here that's rich coming from you, you think because chris brown has rapped that makes him a hip hop artist, there's a difference between being able to rap and being a hip hop artist.

nope, wrong. i mentioned him because someone mentioned mary j being a hip hop artist lol.

please re read that exact same post where i said r kelly usher and chris brown are the 3 top hip hop artists. read the part right at the end. will give u a big clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

R kelly owned Rnb back in the day and only a fool would say no. point is, R kelly is just as succesful and big if not more then Mary J and who also had lots of guest apperance with hip hop artists but it DOESNT mean R kelly is a hop hop artist the same way Mary J is not either!

I don't like R. Kelly. End of.

And also if you're going to be pedantic about definitions, technically it's all "pop" music - ie popular music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

R. Kelly is tha king.

I don't like R. Kelly. End of.

And also if you're going to be pedantic about definitions, technically it's all "pop" music - ie popular music.

So Nas is pop too?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

just saw this thread - here's a Missy mashup I did ages ago if anyone interested

http://soundcloud.com/listothis/missy-elliott-vs-ernie-k-doe

So Nas is pop too?:eek:

Technically, if you want to be pedantic, it all is. Pop music is popular music. Nas is popular. Obviously most people define pop music differently these days as being the likes of Rihanna etc. but in it's purest definition it is simply any music that's popular.

Technically, if you want to be pedantic, it all is. Pop music is popular music. Nas is popular. Obviously most people define pop music differently these days as being the likes of Rihanna etc. but in it's purest definition it is simply any music that's popular.

So lets ask a mod to move Nas, Kanye west and probably Kenric Lamar's threads into the pop section of this forum then.

i think u and others have "completely" lost the point and way off topic in this thread.

all started when someone said mary j is queen of hip hop lmao.

this is about missy. love it or hate it, she is Hip hop, same as Chris browm, Nas etc etc.

Chris brown is more hip hop then Mary J thats for sure

So lets ask a mod to move Nas, Kanye west and probably Kenric Lamar's threads into the pop section of this forum then.

i think u and others have "completely" lost the point and way off topic in this thread.

all started when someone said mary j is queen of hip hop lmao.

this is about missy. love it or hate it, she is Hip hop, same as Chris browm, Nas etc etc.

Chris brown is more hip hop then Mary J thats for sure

All I'm saying is that is all falls within the sphere of popular music. That's what pop music means in its purest definition - popular music. Obviously it's evolved to mean something different.

Chris Brown is definitely no closer to hip hop than Mary.

yes i know what u mean but i get tired of people saying that even Kanye west is pop and not a true hip hop artist as mentioned in the CRUEL SUMMER thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I have to say I'd put a person who makes bad rap songs as being more hip-hop than a person who makes good R&B songs.

I know CB makes bad R&B songs more often than not, but doesn't he try and play a rapper every now and then on mixtapes?

Being **** doesn't preclude you from being hip-hop. Ask Wacka Flocka Flame!

Advertisement