Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen of Hip Hop is back - Missy

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

epic. She's back!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'd prefer if it was just Missy, and not Timbaland rapping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Queen of hip hop is Lauryn Hill, not missy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

in before me on that one

Lauryn Hill could do with making some new music though, rather than resting on her laurels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Nope. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Lauryn Hill could do with making some new music though, rather than resting on her laurels.

+1 , This is true in fairness. As far as the queen of hip hop I'd go with Mary j even though she's really technically more r'n'b inclined.

On missy big fan, always said she was under rated as far as female Mc's go. Her and timbo were a great act, il give this a listen tomorrow on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

+1 , This is true in fairness. As far as the queen of hip hop I'd go with Mary j even though she's really technically more r'n'b inclined.

On missy big fan, always said she was under rated as far as female Mc's go. Her and timbo were a great act, il give this a listen tomorrow on the laptop.

Mary J is more R&B, LH deserves the title and isn't she supposed to be releasing an album this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Ain't no queens in this rap thing.

No female emcee has put out enough work to deserve it.

Lauren Hill only released one real solo album, which was only half rap, half singing. You can't be the GOAT off half an album.

Jean Grae had/has lots of potential to claim the title but hasn't put out a real album in years.

Otherwise it's just the pop acts or tramps like Trina.

Good to see Missy back though. She never had the greatest bars but always came through with some great music.

floggg wrote: »

Lauren Hill only released one real solo album, which was only half rap, half singing. You can't be the GOAT off half an album.

Jean Grae had/has lots of potential to claim the title but hasn't put out a real album in years.

Otherwise it's just the pop acts or tramps like Trina.

Good to see Missy back though. She never had the greatest bars but always came through with some great music.

Rah Digga is pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Evil Jeanius is only 4 years old and she released an Album this year called Cake or Death.

• Advertisement

I give it to Lauryn over quality, not quantity. Her 2 albums with the fugees and her solo are all excellent, the misseducation outshines any other album i've heard by a female rapper. I have a missy album here, never got fully through it, could never enjoy it. and btw not only is Lauryn the greatest female rapper there is, she's better than the majority of male rappers too. Amazingly talented woman.

This thread has given me and idea for another thread, but i'm too lazy to create it :p

L Boogie is great. I just don't think that there have been any females with a consistent body if high class work to own a title like that.

It's a shame, as there are plenty of female emcees who could go toe to toe with their best male counterparts.

I guess though there's too much bull**** they have to go through to get the respect and props they deserve without having to go pop or slutty.

From what I can see Eve and Missy are the only recent female emcees (and they go back) to get mainstream success and respect without having to strip their way to the top.

Not to drag this off topic but Rapsody's new album is pretty good.

Considering how feature heavy Biggie was I would guess LH has released roughly the same amount of work as Biggie, and that is apparently enough to be called greatest.

Considering how feature heavy Biggie was I would guess LH has released roughly the same amount of work as Biggie, and that is apparently enough to be called greatest.

1 feature on his first album 1, 11 on his second which is a double disc, when we compare that to game who has 28 features on his last mixtape it's nothing big at all.

Be realistic now conor, biggie has 4 albums, 2 posthumous and 2 while alive (kinda). Lauryn has 1 solo and 2 with the fugees and she wasnt featured on every fugees song., big has clearly released more material, feature heavy or not.
    Either way Lauryn is the greatest, regardless of how little work she's brought out even though i think we can judge how good she is on what she did bring out.

Anywho, im gonna start a greatest female mc thread in a while, feel free to vote or whatever.

The posthumous one has a lot of features as does the duets. (quick count up on wiki, biggie had 7 more including the duets and ft for ft they are pretty much even)

The point is LH has released enough and enough of great quality to be considered the greatest female MC.

L Boogie is great. I just don't think that there have been any females with a consistent body if high class work to own a title like that.

It's a shame, as there are plenty of female emcees who could go toe to toe with their best male counterparts.

I guess though there's too much bull**** they have to go through to get the respect and props they deserve without having to go pop or slutty.

From what I can see Eve and Missy are the only recent female emcees (and they go back) to get mainstream success and respect without having to strip their way to the top.

Not to drag this off topic but Rapsody's new album is pretty good.

Well, I still think Lauryn is the best, but she does need to release more material. It would be great to hear something new.That said, saying that none of them have released enough material to get the title is kinda irrelevant. Like, you have to judge them on what they have released and based on that, Lauryn is the best.

That said, saying that none of them have released enough material to get the title is kinda irrelevant. Like, you have to judge them on what they have released and based on that, Lauryn is the best.

To an extent. Though I just think you can't really make an accurate comparisons when comparing one or two albums each.

For me, Jean Grae is a better lyricist/emcee, but as a whole Miseducation was ahead of anything Jean Grae has released (though you wonder what she might have done if Jean had Lauren's budget and song writers - apparently Jean's first album was done for free, no budget for beats, features etc, all done off favours).

I guess I'm just a little pissed that there is no female emcees that have had the careers they deserved. For whatever reason, bar Lauren, no female emcees with integrity have really made it or had any sort of sustained career. It's a shame, because I love the different perspective they bring sometimes, and the emotion/vulnerability they seem to be able to show that many male emcees can't.

Like Phonte with (bigger) tits!

To an extent. Though I just think you can't really make an accurate comparisons when comparing one or two albums each.

For me, Jean Grae is a better lyricist/emcee, but as a whole Miseducation was ahead of anything Jean Grae has released (though you wonder what she might have done if Jean had Lauren's budget and song writers - apparently Jean's first album was done for free, no budget for beats, features etc, all done off favours).

I guess I'm just a little pissed that there is no female emcees that have had the careers they deserved. For whatever reason, bar Lauren, no female emcees with integrity have really made it or had any sort of sustained career. It's a shame, because I love the different perspective they bring sometimes, and the emotion/vulnerability they seem to be able to show that many male emcees can't.

Like Phonte with (bigger) tits!

Hip hop is so incredibly dominated by men. It can be horribly misogynisitc and as such, it seems that women aren't really taken seriously for the most part unless they go the whole 'chick with a dick' route that the likes of Lil Kim go for. It's surprising Lauryn had the success she had at all, to be honest, and I'd say it was in part to do with her singing voice and the fact that she has a pretty face.

As far emceeing Ye LH gets the nod over Mary j but in terms of hip hop as a culture and based on what Mary has given to the cause she deserves the crown hands down IMO. Yes like I said more r'n'b inclined but in fairness r'n'b and hip hop go hand in hand, well at least they use too.

In all LH better rapper obviously but many a time has Mjb been on the end of a hip hop classic. Overall her catalogue of music smashes any female who ever touched a mic in both hip hop and r'n'b.

As far emceeing Ye LH gets the nod over Mary j but in terms of hip hop as a culture and based on what Mary has given to the cause she deserves the crown hands down IMO. Yes like I said more r'n'b inclined but in fairness r'n'b and hip hop go hand in hand, well at least they use too.

In all LH better rapper obviously but many a time has Mjb been on the end of a hip hop classic. Overall her catalogue of music smashes any female who ever touched a mic in both hip hop and r'n'b.

Her voice is fcuking incredible too.

• Advertisement

So by that logic Nate Dogg is the king?

He's been on more classic records than damn near anybody in hip-hop.

Still ain't no rapper so ain't getting on the list.

Same goes for T-Pain!

And to be honest I'm struggling to think of one Mary J feature that I actually like.

It does go to show the dearth of credible female rappers out there though when somebody can even suggest a singer as the queen!

Same goes for T-Pain!

And to be honest I'm struggling to think of one Mary J feature that I actually like.

It does go to show the dearth of credible female rappers out there though when somebody can even suggest a singer as the queen!

These are pretty good.

There you go Floggg, if you dont like that you're either deaf or very strange.

Same goes for T-Pain!

Nate is the best hook man hip hop has ever seen that's a cert !. The king of g funk I.e hip hop... Comparing tpain to what Nate and mjb have contributed is beyond idiotic, if anything we have tpain to thank for destroying commercial hip hop and undoing the work of Nate and mjb as far as hooks go.

Also I never said mjb was a rapper, I was talking about hip hop as a whole I.e the culture, community... Are you trying to say mjb doesn't fall into this catogery? The soul hip hop queen , check out her remix of hate it or love it and educate yourself.

Nate is the best hook man hip hop has ever seen that's a cert !. The king of g funk I.e hip hop... Comparing tpain to what Nate and mjb have contributed is beyond idiotic, if anything we have tpain to thank for destroying commercial hip hop and undoing the work of Nate and mjb as far as hooks go.

Also I never said mjb was a rapper, I was talking about hip hop as a whole I.e the culture, community... Are you trying to say mjb doesn't fall into this catogery? The soul hip hop queen , check out her remix of hate it or love it and educate yourself.

Educate myself? I've heard plenty of Mary J.

I just happen to disagree with you. It happens sometimes.

Nate Dogg the king of G Funk? Doc Dre might have something to say about that.

As far as T-Pain, if singing hooks can put you at the top of the hip-hop game, him and akon would have owned the last half of the 00's. My point is, it doesn't.

If you want to look at the hip-hop culture as a whole, its generally understood to be rapping, dj'ing, dancing and graffiti. In my book, she's an r&b artist who crosses over for some collaborations. I think r&b and hip-hop are closely linked these days, but I see them as separate genres.

She has contributed to hip-hop, and been involved in some good collaborations, but I think she has never strayed outside the role of an r&b singer in those collaborations. I don't see that she has impacted hip-hop greatly though and I think there are many other singers who could have played a similar role in those songs.

As for the songs posted, I knew Can't Knock the Hustle and All I Need would be posted. They are good songs, but I don't think they are great. I know they have plenty of fans, but I can take em or leave em, and more often than not skip em when they come on my iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Educate myself? I've heard plenty of Mary J.

As for the songs posted, I knew Can't Knock the Hustle and All I Need would be posted. They are good songs, but I don't think they are great. I know they have plenty of fans, but I can take em or leave em, and more often than not skip em when they come on my iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Mary J queen of hip hop?

might as well say R kelly is king of hip hop while were at it with usher coming second and chris brown 3rd. how daft does that sound? as daft as labeling Mary J queen of Hip Hop

might as well say R kelly is king of hip hop while were at it with usher coming second and chris brown 3rd. how daft does that sound?

It does sound daft given R. Kelly and Usher and Chris Brown are all fairly ****e.

That'd be the main difference between them and Mary J.

Back in the day R Kelly owned R&B like no other (MJB included).

Then again, he did also release Trapped in the Closet just to make sure he finished the job of destroying his legacy that his fondness for young girls and water sports started.

• Advertisement

Was never a big fan of R. Kelly.

Advertisement