Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangsters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

Look at the Dundon/McCarthy gang in Limerick, uneducated thick morons who botched up most jobs. There hitmen were always more thick morons trying to make a name for themselves. Nothing smart or intelligent about this gang.
    But the papers made them out to be super mafia which put the fear into the general public.
    How long did it take our justice system to deal with these voilent morans? around 10 years.
    There was nothing organised about these criminals.
    When our justice system cant handle a small few violent criminals they make out that these filth are super organised.
    The Guardi has done a great job in locking up these gangs in Limerick.
    But the wheels of justice is too slow for even these unorganised morons.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Hits the nail on the head.

Thick fat nackers is all they are.

The real drug importers are the ones youve never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What I want to know is how organised is this crime in Ireland

The Drumcondra Mafia had it down to a fine art, generally speaking though many mafiosi are recruited in a place called Dáil Eireann. I think it translates into - 'Who gives a fúck' or something along those lines. The selection process is pretty exclusive though and only the most talented, lying scum will gain admittance to the club.

An oath of incompetent is then taken on the nearest golf course, with a pint of Guinness in one hand and a large brown envelope in the other. A Banker stands at your right shoulder and a person called a 'Large Developer' from a land called NAMA, stands at you left.

Then you have another type of mafia called the 'criminal element', now these guys are scum and nasty pieces of work. Thankfully though, they haven't managed to achieve anywhere near the level of damage to the country, that the other shower has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You see, my wife, she has been most vocal on the subject of the pretzel monies. "Where's the money? "When are you going to get the money?" "Why aren't you getting the money now?" And so on. So please - the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Thankfully though, they haven't managed to achieve anywhere near the level of damage to the country, that the other shower has.

Only true if you value money and the economy above actual lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There was a gang of burglars in Dundalk in the early 1980's who robbed many premises at night. On their last escapade they broke into (of all places) a pet shop through the roof. Once inside they couldn't get the front or back doors open and the owner called the Garda when he saw them huddled inside the shop on his arrival early next day. The were laughed at in court and everyone called them "The Pet Shop Boys" after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Irish drug dealers are so thick, they have actually rearranged the measurement system to suit their mentally challenged minds. Nowadays a ounce of weed is not 28 but 25 grams. And an eighth is not 3.5, but 3grams. The prices have stayed the same, apart fromt the savages that sell 2grams or 2.2grams as 'eighths' for the same €50 price tag that 3.5 grams got you pre celtic tiger days. They have also been getting some of the lowest quality cocaine, xtc and weed on the european continent for years up until recently when the xtc quality has increased tenfold. A bit like the banking fiasco, our dealers and consumers take whatever's handed to them where as the foreigners demand better qualities.

Nobody has mentioned the triads yet. Probably because they are very underground and almost imposible for the gardai to obtain info on. I remember seeing a picture a few years back of the hardest gangsters in Limerick prison enjoying their christmas party and in the background were 3/4 asian dudes just sitting together. I would imagine they are pretty much left alone. A lot of these triads are sent here from asia by their families to sell drugs and send the proceeds back to asia. They rent houses all over the country and turn them into professional grow operations. The worst part about this is that these are the gangs that dip the weed buds into sand to increase its weight, which has terrible health consequences for your average clueless spliff smokers lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MagicSean wrote: »
    Only true if you value money and the economy above actual lives.

I can assure you, the ruination of this country has cost a lot more lives than any criminal feud. The question is, who are the bigger criminals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Christy Kinahan would be the only really serious organized crime boss to come out of Ireland. Well educated, who kept plenty of legit fronts and all that. Serving time in Spain now I think.

But in terms of organized crime families the nearest thing we have to a mafia or something mirroring the standard of organized crime in America, Russia, UK, the far east etc, are as already mentioned the inbred McCarthy-dundons, Fat Freddie and just local half wit scummers with a basic knowledge of selling drugs.

The Sunday World make up and over exaggerate any detail about anyone. I wouldn't put it past them to call a TV licence dodger "the dapper don".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The IRA were and are the only comparable organised crime outfit to the American mob. They have links to protection rackets, drug smuggling, extortion, numerous murders and even have a "respectable" political wing.
    Like Cosa Nostra, their roots are traced back to small put-upon people standing up to the local landlord - thats gone - now its just big business.
    The likes of the McCarthy/Dundon crowd pay the IRA to be allowed operate as localised gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thought the thread was about a new boy band.

• Advertisement

I can assure you, the ruination of this country has cost a lot more lives than any criminal feud. The question is, who are the bigger criminals?

The people who would stick a knife in you if they don't like the look of you or if they want your stuff. They are definitely the bigger criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Tell the doctor to go suck a lemon.

The people who would stick a knife in you if they don't like the look of you or if they want your stuff. They are definitely the bigger criminals.

They wouldn't be as rich though.

They wouldn't be as rich though.

Would that really matter to you when you have a hole in your stomach?

"The government is withholding my grant until I pay the household charge"

versus

"They will kill me if i don't give them what they want"

How anyone can try and put these things on the same level is beyond me.

Would that really matter to you when you have a hole in your stomach?

"The government is withholding my grant until I pay the household charge"

versus

"They will kill me if i don't give them what they want"

How anyone can try and put these things on the same level is beyond me.

There are many choosing to put holes in themselves because of what they feel was done to them by the other sort of gangsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Media999 wrote: »
    Couldnt have said it better myself. Hits the nail on the head.

Thick fat nackers is all they are.

The real drug importers are the ones youve never heard of.

The MCD's were only really footsoldiers for two far smarter men. A few other relatives of the MCD's would be well connected to serious crime figures though.

Christy Kinahan is the dog's bollocks of Irish crime, He is like our version of Scarface.

There are many choosing to put holes in themselves because of what they feel was done to them by the other sort of gangsters.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Triangular wrote: »
    Irish drug dealers are so thick, they have actually rearranged the measurement system to suit their mentally challenged minds. Nowadays a ounce of weed is not 28 but 25 grams. And an eighth is not 3.5, but 3grams. The prices have stayed the same, apart fromt the savages that sell 2grams or 2.2grams as 'eighths' for the same €50 price tag that 3.5 grams got you pre celtic tiger days. They have also been getting some of the lowest quality cocaine, xtc and weed on the european continent for years up until recently when the xtc quality has increased tenfold. A bit like the banking fiasco, our dealers and consumers take whatever's handed to them where as the foreigners demand better qualities.

To be fair, from a business perspective, doing all of the above you've mentioned, actually makes them smart.

They're not 'getting' the lowest quality weed or coke, they're actively sourcing the worst product that the buyer will put up with, because there's more margin in it, than a more expensive product.

The coke they import is about 80% pure, by the time it reaches the public, you'd be looking at about 8% purity, plus a load of novocaine and other junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Beware of the quite ones, the ones who run this country from the background. Business men with shady frinds you'd be surpised how many of them are behind some of the rackets in this country. just look at dublin how many businesses do you think are there, probably thousands of them. a thinking man's cap is his bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

daRobot wrote: »
    To be fair, from a business perspective, doing all of the above you've mentioned, actually makes them smart.

They're not 'getting' the lowest quality weed or coke, they're actively sourcing the worst product that the buyer will put up with, because there's more margin in it, than a more expensive product.

The coke they import is about 80% pure, by the time it reaches the public, you'd be looking at about 8% purity, plus a load of novocaine and other junk.

Yeah perhaps the guys at the top think this, but after hammering thru 5 seasons of breaking bad in the last month, people buy more of a good thing then a bad one! I would say the only 80% pure cocaine that lands on these shores, is destined for our neighbours across the ponds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Finnt wrote: »
    Hi any idea what the name of the book was?

Was trying to think of it when I was writing the post but failed!! If you google Hells Kitchen Jimmy Coonan you will get it.. It even might actually be called the westies but make sure its not the one on our very own from blanch.

Its a great read and some great stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I want to know the name of the book about the Westies, please.

Also, I feel like playing Grand Theft Auto now, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I want to know the name of the book about the Westies, please.

Also, I feel like playing Grand Theft Auto now, thanks lads.

Ah here wil ye leave eh ouu

It's call The Westies by T.J English published 1990

Source?

I am sure in your job that you have noticed a rise in suicides since the recession began. Many are taking this way out because of the change in their financial status through job losses, businesses going to the wall and inability to pay bills. This was brought about by bad politics, bad banking and greedy speculators and people in authority "feathering their own nests" as they say. I attended 5 funerals of people who chose this way out in the last few months. The numbers are on the rise too.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2201032/Recession-left-middle-aged-men-risk-suicide-England.html

www.rte.ie/news/2012/0716/report-finds-link-between-recession-and-suicide.html

www.irishcentral.com/news/Suicide-rate-rising-rapidly-in-Ireland-as-recession-grips-138771164.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I am sure in your job that you have noticed a rise in suicides since the recession began. Many are taking this way out because of the change in their financial status through job losses, businesses going to the wall and inability to pay bills. This was brought about by bad politics, bad banking and greedy speculators and people in authority "feathering their own nests" as they say. I attended 5 funerals of people who chose this way out in the last few months. The numbers are on the rise too.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2201032/Recession-left-middle-aged-men-risk-suicide-England.html

www.rte.ie/news/2012/0716/report-finds-link-between-recession-and-suicide.html

www.irishcentral.com/news/Suicide-rate-rising-rapidly-in-Ireland-as-recession-grips-138771164.html

White collar untouchable criminals, These same people who gave us the recession are the same people who control our laws banks and governments anyway so its a vicious circle, Sure look at how the church had virtual free reign to abuse people in this country back when they had power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Funny how?

charlemont wrote: »
    White collar untouchable criminals, These same people who gave us the recession are the same people who control our laws banks and governments anyway so its a vicious circle, Sure look at how the church had virtual free reign to abuse people in this country back when they had power.

While it is difficult to blame particular people (we do know some of them though) to point the finger at I think it is fair to say that the bad policies and greed which can be attributed to some of our past leaders and maybe present too is responsible for much of it. Some of these suicide victims made bad decisions in business too in fairness by borrowing too much. There were plenty of people influencing their decisions too and pushing loans at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

A lot of Yakuza on the Aran Islands, I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The traditional "mafia" has changed so much that it is unrcognisable anyway - they are more interested in buying up the local factories and milk producers and rigging public works contracts so that their own companies get the work. Labour rigging, kickbacks, waste and sanitation contracts, outright fraud and embezlement bring in huge sums. The drug trade is of course massive, but it does not constitute the core and is not the biggest earner. The Triads stick to their own people and feck with them, they will sell wholesale to the local gangs, but their stock in trade is the chinese ethnic populations here or wherever. The Bulgarians, Turks, Uzbeckis, etc etc are also huge -mainly in Heroin and trafficing people/extortion and smuggling, as are the Nigerians, the Somalis, the Vietnamese, the ... jasus everyone. It's big business is crime, and it does seem to pay a bit better than the old wives tales would have us believe. On a cheerier note, anyone know how to put up Psys "Gangnam style"? My kids are blasting it out all over the house, and it's rather good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Klim wrote: »
    There's a Moran crew in Limerick now too? Ffs, it's hard to keep up.

Yeah Ogie Moran.

Advertisement