Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangsters

Options
  • 22-09-2012 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I've often wondered how the organised crime system works in Ireland. In College I did my FYP on New York organised crime in which I focused on the traditional 5 Mafia families. The Gambino, Lucchese, Colombo, Bonanno and Genovese. The only significant Irish gang in NY were the Westies who teamed with the Gambinos.

What I want to know is how organised is this crime in Ireland, do they run a similar organisational structure to the Mafia or are they as disorganised as the greasers make them out to be. Every article I read portrays the Irish as wreckless lunatics who don't possess the intelligence to run a proper 'family' (organised crime group)

Comments

Dunno how much traditional mafia businessss like protection money would happen in Ireland.. I remember the case of the Ira guy fuking with some sho owner but could be an isolated case.

As for drugs, highly organized I presume considering it's position as a gateway to Europe. Prostitution would be highly organized also but neither would be Irish run outfits. Definitely all connected through mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

My uncle worked in the flying squad in London,he said they had some real
    Hard cases during the 80's but the Irish gangsters are a different breed altogether.
    Even the UK gangsters fear them as they are so volatile and paranoid,they have no problem killing eachother if they suspect a betrayal or want to take out the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sappa wrote: »
    they have no problem killing eachother if they suspect a betrayal or want to take out the competition.
    Isn't that what gangsters are supposed to do? All the 'sophisticated gangster' nonsense portrayed by Guy Richie over the years is just b0llox.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sappa wrote: »
    My uncle worked in the flying squad in London,he said they had some real
    Hard cases during the 80's but the Irish gangsters are a different breed altogether.
    Even the UK gangsters fear them as they are so volatile and paranoid,they have no problem killing eachother if they suspect a betrayal or want to take out the competition.

Paul Castellano agreed to deal with the Westies in order to get access to the west side of Manhattan. They were that intimidated, John Gotti Jnr a later boss of the Gambino's stated in court that nobody messed with Jimmy Coonan and the Westies. They were savages who killed aimlessly, but because of this they were a red hot target for the police, La Cosa Nostra stayed underground, hence they were far more successful than the Irish gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Talking about the Irish control over the West side of Manhattan the story goes that a beat cop in the 1930s described the area as the hottest place in Hell. Hence the name Hell's Kitchen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I aint saying nothin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Read a book about Jimmy Coonan and the westies, holy crap, the level of violence that they'd use. Great book!

Irish crime is no where near as structured as Asian/Italian/Russian mafias. They'd have their hands in multimillion euro legitimate businesses too. Closet we have to that structure are our corrupt politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The less organised the better I would have thought since it makes it harder for the authorities to figure them out,however in a country like Ireland thier probably all well known.I think I heard what's his name,the crime reporter,say that the Limerick gangs like to model themselves on the Mafia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Lots of different types of organised crime in Ireland op. you gotta be more specific. "Republican" protection rackets, burglary gangs, theft gangs, prostitution rings and of course the drugs gangs who are by far the worst and likely have a hand in many tiger kidnappings and robberies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No mention of the Garda yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

ya sheee its like this sheee , you get the loot sheee:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Forget about the Westies, they are merely glove puppets. The real players are the 'eastie boys'. They are very underground so you probably haven't heard of them unlike all those other mainstream conformist gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

There are levels, basically. You have the Drugs side, which changes rapidly and is cyclical, has a lot of up and comers and is hard to track and very splintered but there are a few long term players that mostly live aborad and have lieutenants here. These are increasingly under pressure from Lithuanian and Russian gangs and that will get bigger as the eastern guys get more organised here(they're already organised at home, this is a franchise area).
    Then, you have hard men who are never in any paper or ever arrested who deal in the traditional side of crime but also dabble(often big time)in drugs but usually as financiers more so than touching the stuff. Some are Travvelers, some aren't, but their rackets are prostitution, antiques, fencing stolen gear, smuggling and investing in straight businesses. These are older, experienced men, often very old-school and they are just not to be messed with. The guys under them would range from stone cold middle aged lads(lieutenants if you like) to gob5hites who are on the up and do the legwork.
    In London, you have the Murphia, funny name, unfunny lads but are sound if you get on, not if you don't. There is one boss, pretty much, more of a businessman than a gangster on first impressions and an awful lot of satellite gangs that work together. Not going into details there anyway, but suffice it to say, tough lads. Like most "dumb Irish stereotypes", these guys are seriously smart and clued in and have fingers in pies everywhere.
    Here at home you also have the Bikers, who when they're not fighting each other are also big enough time in the drugs and guns trade and have a reputation (often bull but somtimes well earned) as not to be messed with. They are also pretty well organised and do lot of work, so organised crime, yeah, probably. Other than these ones, you have a lot of very wealthy and ruthless foreign gangs, Travveler gangs who are well organised and loads of others. So yeah, mafia, we have that, it's just a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Remmy wrote: »
    Forget about the Westies, they are merely glove puppets. The real players are the 'eastie boys'. They are very underground so you probably haven't heard of them unlike all those other mainstream conformist gangs.

They later had to change their name to Beastie Boys due to copyright infringement and threat of a law suit from an east London yardie gang.

It was the best move the eastie boys made as becomming The Beastie Boys they went on to be a critically acclaimed punk rock/rap group with several top ten hits around the world. It's was the ideal cover for their criminal shenanigans across the five boroughs.

True story!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If you include some republican groups then very highly organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've often wondered how the organised crime system works in Ireland. In College I did my FYP on New York organised crime in which I focused on the traditional 5 Mafia families. The Gambino, Lucchese, Colombo,
    I think your mistaken there, Colombo was one of the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

FYP is that mafia code for fook your pappa...? anyways say hello to ma little friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭nachocheese

Badly run groups of knackers, is what our crews amount to.

Thankfully they're killing eachother off though. It may be small numbers at the moment but each death is a plus for Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

I can never take Irish organised crime seriously, in Ireland anyway. seems to me other gangs (Polish Russian Lithuanian) seem to run the show from what I've seen anyway. But i don't know very much about it i guess. As history states, we seem to be more hot headed (or were back then anyway) but if tv has taught us anything, it's keep your head down so the po-po don't come down on ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Look at the Dundon/McCarthy gang in Limerick, uneducated thick morons who botched up most jobs. There hitmen were always more thick morons trying to make a name for themselves. Nothing smart or intelligent about this gang.
    But the papers made them out to be super mafia which put the fear into the general public.
    How long did it take our justice system to deal with these voilent morans? around 10 years.
    There was nothing organised about these criminals.
    When our justice system cant handle a small few violent criminals they make out that these filth are super organised.
    The Guardi has done a great job in locking up these gangs in Limerick.
    But the wheels of justice is too slow for even these unorganised morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I'm going to get the papers get the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I can never take Irish organised crime seriously, in Ireland anyway. seems to me other gangs (Polish Russian Lithuanian) seem to run the show from what I've seen anyway. But i don't know very much about it i guess. As history states, we seem to be more hot headed (or were back then anyway) but if tv has taught us anything, it's keep your head down so the po-po don't come down on ya!
    this is true. Irish people seem to like getting the attention.
    Ive done a lot of research on the gangs in America, particularly the italian mafia and irish mobs. the italians are in a different league.
    They were organised completely different like in the irish gangs the men at the head of the organisation did a lot of the dirty work themselves.
    the italians were better at making themselves look clean and have men underneath them do all the work.

This may have something to do with the irish being known for being paranoid etc.
    But even today in america, the black gangs that are running drugs etc are known to be harder to break down the the white one which would still have a big irish american connection.
    I thin kits because the black gangs use code and hand signals for everything and are much more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

Keep the change, ya filthy animal! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Look at the Dundon/McCarthy gang in Limerick, uneducated thick morans who botched up most jobs. There hitmen were always more thick morans trying to make a name for themselves. Nothing smart or intelligent about this gang.
    But the papers made them out to be super mafia which put the fear into the general public.
    How long did it take our justice system to deal with these voilent morans? around 10 years.
    There was nothing organised about these criminals.
    When our justice system cant handle a small few violent criminals they make out that these filth are super organised.
    The Guardi has done a great job in locking up these gangs in Limerick.
    But the wheels of justice is too slow for even these unorganised morans.

There's a Moran crew in Limerick now too? Ffs, it's hard to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I've often wondered how the organised crime system works in Ireland. In College I did my FYP on New York organised crime in which I focused on the traditional 5 Mafia families. The Gambino, Lucchese, Colombo, Bonanno and Genovese. The only significant Irish gang in NY were the Westies who teamed with the Gambinos.

What I want to know is how organised is this crime in Ireland, do they run a similar organisational structure to the Mafia or are they as disorganised as the greasers make them out to be. Every article I read portrays the Irish as wreckless lunatics who don't possess the intelligence to run a proper 'family' (organised crime group)

Are you mental? Many scumbags in the organised crime world in Ireland were smart enough to get themselves labeled as political prisoners, allowing them to serve tiny sentences for murder.

Sounds pretty ****ing smart to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

The only gangsters in Ireland are the one's in Dail Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Read a book about Jimmy Coonan and the westies, holy crap, the level of violence that they'd use. Great book!

Hi any idea what the name of the book was?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Joking aside,I would say Fianna Fail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I know Ireland is a tiny country with a small population,but i cant help but think that Irish crime and criminal gangs are amount to nothing when you compare them to organized crime/gangs in other country's.

I mean all the trouble over the years in Limerick...its such a small city.There was only a few murders over the years.

Ireland is very very safe place to live.

Advertisement