Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 10 (Zappa)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bluewolf wrote: »
    DK: :(

Sorry, dude. My head's on one track and I'd only be forcing any prompt onto it. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Sorry, dude. My head's on one track and I'd only be forcing any prompt onto it. :(

Ah no I understand and all, just a shame! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Okay, I'm going to give this a go even though the closing date is pretty much around the corner. I haven't written anything in a long, long time but I'll see what I can hammer out on adrenaline. It's gonna be rusty, but I'm in!

Upon reading back through the thread, if there's too many people signed up, it's okay! I'll just go in for the next round, whenever that may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Okay, I'm going to give this a go even though the closing date is pretty much around the corner. I haven't written anything in a long, long time but I'll see what I can hammer out on adrenaline. It's gonna be rusty, but I'm in!

Upon reading back through the thread, if there's too many people signed up, it's okay! I'll just go in for the next round, whenever that may be!

I don't know if I'll have time to do mine, just been too busy. I'll let you know tomorrow if you can have my spot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i have enough ideas for a book of short stories at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

This is the first comp I have entered, can I jump ahead and ask a novice question?

(Actually, I know I can ask, just not sure if you will answer :pac: )

The question is:

When it comes to the voting, are you meant to vote on your own story, or are you meant to ignore your own story?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The voting is private until the results are in, at which stage it will be revealed if you voted for yourself. If you believe your story is the best, you should vote for it. As for feedback, if you are giving comments on all the other stories you should probably add something about your own just so it's not obvious by its omission which one is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Rubecula wrote: »

When it comes to the voting, are you meant to vote on your own story, or are you meant to ignore your own story?

10 VOATs, and only now do I realise I could've voted for my own...

10 VOATs, and only now do I realise I could've voted for my own...

That coveted 8th place could've been yours that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Lol, if I get no votes, I may vote for myself to ease the pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'm going to start writing this tomorrow I swear. I am disappointed with my song though - was hoping to get inspiration form the lyrics, but there are none.... Or at least very few.

It's gonna be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Submitted :)

hcass wrote: »
    I'm going to start writing this tomorrow I swear. I am disappointed with my song though - was hoping to get inspiration form the lyrics, but there are none.... Or at least very few.

It's gonna be tough.

I am yet to come up with even an idea for mine! The theme is something I've barely ever even thought about in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Rubecula wrote: »
    This is the first comp I have entered, can I jump ahead and ask a novice question?

(Actually, I know I can ask, just not sure if you will answer :pac: )

The question is:

Voting for your own story is pretty tacky. Just wait until the last day and then vote for every story that is more than two votes below yours. Result! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm trying to shape mine up a bit. Is there normally a little leeway for going slightly over the 2000 words? I'm trying to squeeze mine down closer to it at the moment, tis doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Was sick these past two weeks, still groggy as hell at times so if you confuse mine with Agent Weebley's pleased don't be surprised.:)

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'm trying to shape mine up a bit. Is there normally a little leeway for going slightly over the 2000 words? I'm trying to squeeze mine down closer to it at the moment, tis doing my head in.

Yeah, about 10%

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm out this time just couldn't get time nor won't before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm afraid I have to pull out too. The story I'm writing is about half done, but I think the idea I've got deserves not to be rushed. I don't want to submit something terrible and sour it. Sorry!

I'm starting tomorrow...

• Advertisement

I hope I'll be able to get this done. I've recently run into a bit of trouble with college stuff and it's kinda stressing me out, so I haven't really had time to commit to getting an idea down yet. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Done. On time, within budget, and off kilter. Typical me. I hope no-one notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have about 500 words written. I know where the story needs to go, I just need to figure out how to get there!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Done. On time, within budget, and off kilter. Typical me. I hope no-one notices.
    Have you used up your word quota or something? This post is unusually brief!

Hi Mr E,

I had to make rough notes. I couldn't believe myself. Learned something there. Maybe you should brainstorm some keywords/phrases/snippets onto the page to get you from where you are to the end?

I ended up writing over the keywords/phrases/snippets as they got included into the story. It progressed quite well doing that.

I also watched the word counter, thinking I was going to go over. It ended up being 1400 words, so was able to widen up thin areas and do better bridges between scenes (imho) and still come in under budget.

Oryx wrote: »
    Have you used up your word quota or something? This post is unusually brief!

haha. I'm actually a little nervous as it's the first story I've written since I was a kid.

Mine's a but lame but shure
    bitta revision tomorrow, be grand :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mine's a but lame but shure
    bitta revision tomorrow, be grand :pac:

Shouldn't that be: "butta" revision by tomorrow?

This is a Frank Zappa story . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My health is still god awful, but I plan on starting typing this evening.
    Yes, it quite possibly will be terrible. But, hey, only one way to get better right?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't think I'm going to be able to get this done. Not feeling very well and have been way too stressed and preoccupied with college stuff. Maybe next time. :(

Advertisement