Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get a bigger pull buoy.....

Options
  • 20-09-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw him tweeting about pull bouys the other day. Finally got around to having a look on the site. This is an interesting read.

Not much use for Vegas or Kona though where the swims are non-wetsuit. :D

What do the swimmers or coaches think?

Personally I average around 3s per 100 faster with a lower RPE when using the pull buoy. It certainly makes swimming easier for me and gives me a higher elbow for the pull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Saw him tweeting about pull bouys the other day. Finally got around to having a look on the site. This is an interesting read.

Not much use for Vegas or Kona though where the swims are non-wetsuit. :D

What do the swimmers or coaches think?

Personally I average around 3s per 100 faster with a lower RPE when using the pull buoy. It certainly makes swimming easier for me and gives me a higher elbow for the pull.

Few years ago I ditched the normal pull buoy for a speedo swim kick one, makes a huge difference. Its massive.

us mere mortals should be faster with a pull buoy by far alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Glue two together for extra buoyancy.

Interesting viewpoint though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunney wrote: »
    Few years ago I ditched the normal pull buoy for a speedo swim kick one, makes a huge difference. Its massive.

us mere mortals should be faster with a pull buoy by far alright!

Link? or is it that one that doubles as a kickboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I can be up to 10secs per 100mtr quicker with the pull buoy. After reading that i should really upgrade the current one as its one of the sh1t tiny ones.
    Love swimming with the pull buoy it makes everything feel much smoother in the water.

Link? or is it that one that doubles as a kickboard?

Doubles as a kick board. not *quite* as easy to use as a pull buoy or a kick board as stand alones but its nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I have one of these beasts. barely fits in my swim bag. It's class.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiefer-Large-Swimming-Pullbuoy/sim/B005G2CR4E/2

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

But if you happen to end up doing a pool swim or non wetsuit swim, would being used to this mean youre screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Oryx wrote: »
    But if you happen to end up doing a pool swim or non wetsuit swim, would being used to this mean youre screwed?

I think it's all about striking a balance with training and specificity closer to your event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

So basically training with the buoy means its more like race (wetsuit) scenario ?
    But as someone mentioned, if it ends up being a non wetsuit race, then you may struggle a little to get that horizontal position required for efficient swimming, as you havent trained as much without.

Useful training aids, but you wouldn’t want to be going OTT on them

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

15% of your propulsion comes from your legs. I wonder what the energy cost is of kick the legs of you total wattage spent swimming per second. I would guess it must be about double the percentage of the propulsion.

I dont kick in my wetsuit at all unless I am removing a passenger from my ass.

• Advertisement

Briando wrote: »

I dont kick in my wetsuit at all unless I am removing a passenger from my ass.

Why wouldn't you kick in a wetsuit? Sure, theres no need to kick in a wetsuit as the suit gives you the buoyancy that a kick would provide. But surely you're in a race, and kicking is faster than non-kicking. I can perhaps understand not kicking much an IM, or even a slower kick in a HIM if you're worried about the distance. At the end of the day its a race and the fastest way to get through the swim is to kick. Unless you're a beginner worried about completing the distance, kicking in the swim should really not have a detrimental effect on your bike or run split?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I seem to be the opposite to most then, i'm faster without the pull buoy and im not a huge kicker, about 5-8s/100m. From reading that though i'm thinking my pull buoy is far too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

15% of your propulsion comes from your legs. I wonder what the energy cost is of kick the legs of you total wattage spent swimming per second. I would guess it must be about double the percentage of the propulsion.

hm if ian thorpe kicks 400m in sub 5 min .......
    also depends female and male

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

peter kern wrote: »

hm if ian thorpe kicks 400m in sub 5 min .......
    also depends female and male

When I swim without a wetsuit I kick, to keep my legs up and to help with balance.

But in a wetsuit my legs are rediculously high so pointless for me since when I do a kick set in the pool I move so slow,yet it take so much effort, that it seems it inefficient for me to kick. Keep that energy and use it to pull better with my arms. Thats how it works for me, I'm not advocating everybody should be doing this, it just works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

what percentage of training should be done with a pull buoy and without..are we talking 50/50 .... only just got a pull buoy last week.... I love open water swimming obviously with the buoyancy but I have big legs and unfortunately in the pool these big legs dont float :(.. always have difficulty keeping the legs high in the water thus the reason why I bought the pull buoy... i'm wondering now from this article should i have bought a bigger pull buoy?? should i do all my training with one?? what about the pool triathlons in April/May... i wonder will they let me bring in a pull buoy, I'm sure they wont even notice :D

Spotted on twitter this morning that Huub are launching a new pull buoy called the "BIG BUOY". It looks damn big

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

peter kern wrote: »

When I swim without a wetsuit I kick, to keep my legs up and to help with balance.

But in a wetsuit my legs are rediculously high so pointless for me since when I do a kick set in the pool I move so slow,yet it take so much effort, that it seems it inefficient for me to kick. Keep that energy and use it to pull better with my arms. Thats how it works for me, I'm not advocating everybody should be doing this, it just works for me.

which is cool iam just saying there is people that get more propolsion from kicking than others and if somebody can kick great.

Anyone know if the Big Buoy is available to buy yet?

Is our very own AKW going to stock it and look after us boardsies??? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

You could go for one of these

20 sterling for one plus P&P of 10 sterling :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yes, they are available. Enquiries have been made & of course I'd look after you! :)
    You could go for one of these

20 sterling for one plus P&P of 10 sterling :eek:

Same jobbie that P is talking about. From what I understand they're likely to be around €27-28 RRP. If there is interest (10-20) I should be able to get them down around €22ish.

If interested stick a +1 below and I'll confirm a cost in the next day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Yes, they are available. Enquiries have been made & of course I'd look after you! :)

Same jobbie that P is talking about. From what I understand they're likely to be around €27-28 RRP. If there is interest (10-20) I should be able to get them down around €22ish.

+1 - I'd be interested in a group buy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

+1

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

... at least one person that's already replied still kicks when doing pull with his pull buoy ;)

Pull buoys, band work, drag belts, kick boards, fins of various shapes and sizes, paddles of various shapes and sizes... metronomes inside a swim hat even ... are all useful things to bring to a pool - if they make you faster. Whats cool is by simply swimming more (casually assuming stroke is there or there abouts with all the big issues sorted), more frequently and at the right pace over a period of time will also make you faster ... in a pool ;)

... and there's the OW can-o-worms.

+1

interested wrote: »
    ... at least one person that's already replied still kicks when doing pull with his pull buoy ;)

And I hadn't even replied yet :D

Cheers for the deal again Sean, but I have a sufficiently large pull buoy already. Damn thing barely fits in my bag!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

+1 I would be interested also !! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+1 although judging from the photo the buoy might be bigger than me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

interested wrote: »

So do I sometimes. Found it hard to stop kicking, my first pull buoy experience taught me why you don't kick with the pull buoy. Talk about chaffing. :eek:

+1 for me too AKW

I might get around to that headtorch at the same time. :D

Advertisement