Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun trouble

Options
  • 19-09-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi folks. Lately my shotgun has developed a problem where occasionally, the top barrel decides it doesnt want to fire. i go through the motion of, Load the gun, close it, safety on, bird comes in, safety off, pull.....and nothing happens, not even a click. the trigger just moves back. however if i select the bottom barrel to fire first, the top barrel will fire no problem. this only happens occasionally maybe 3 in 10 shots. which leads me to think its a problem in the cocking mechanism. The gun is a "Special Irish Game" in 12 bore 28" with interchangeable chokes, lightest shotgun ive ever held, its lighter that a beretta ultralight by a considerable amount!!

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

So when you fire the bottom barrel first the top one fires? Does it work every time?

When you try and fire the top barrel first it misfires on every 3rd (or so) shot?

First thing i would look at is the sear. Most shotguns work of the recoil of the first shot to engage the firing mechanism for the second. Shotguns accumulate a lot of crap, dirt, etc. over the years, and need cleaning.

If unsure what to do bring to a competent gunsmith, and have them opent he gun up, clean, and check the sears, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

had a problem just like that a few years ago with a lanber,if you know your way around guns strip it and inspect all the parts for wear,you can download an exploded diagram for most guns,mine was due to a broken sprin which i replaced and all went fine,if you are not confident about stripping and putting it together again just clean with a toothbrush and solvent and if thats not working bring it to a dealer/gunsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

I know a person that had the same gun as you dogfox, it worked perfect for the first year and then it started playing up, fire the first barrel and nothing for the second shot, make a long story short it was gone after a few month's.. Am i right thinking he said it was Turkish made??

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DogfoxCork

i think its turkish alright, other than this, the gun is perfect for me, it shoots incredibly well, the gunsmith said its like the stock was actually fitted for me! plus i love shooting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

DogfoxCork wrote: »
    i think its turkish alright, other than this, the gun is perfect for me, it shoots incredibly well, the gunsmith said its like the stock was actually fitted for me! plus i love shooting it

Gunsmith or Salesman?

And I don't mean to tar them all, but Salesmen would say anything for a sale.

• Advertisement

gunsmith, separate to the guy i bought it off. doesnt change the fact that i shoot well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

If you bought it off yer man in bandon he is both and one of the finest too..

totally disagree with above comment....but each man to his own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

"lightest shotgun ive ever held, its lighter that a beretta ultralight by a considerable amount!!"

Thats because its working parts are made from recycled coke cans. Cousin of mine had a Turkish gun of some kind and he had similar woe with it, fitted him beautifully, and was great value for money, he loved it but unfortunatley after a while so did the Pheasents!!

Advertisement