Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Tipping!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

books4sale wrote: »
    Not so fast to dismiss....

The vast amount of rubbish carry product packaging with barcodes or qr codes

These barcodes can be tracked back to the point of purchase which will carry all the details, dates & times sold, till numbers monitored by cameras, credit, debit or loyalty cards used with all the customer detail.

But these methods would possibly be used in severe or serious cases of dumping. But that's a measure of how far an investigation could be taken to track illegal dumping.

No actually a barcode tells you very little. There's usually just 1 article number assigned to each product line.

They're not unique and they tell you nothing about the purchaser nor could they be realistically used to trace where the item was purchased or by whom.

All it tells you is "this is the code for a box of corn flakes"

Their onli purpose is to allow the price to be looked up by the till. They don't even encode the best before date.

Unless someone also left a receipt with their loyalty card number you couldn't trace them.

Even with that, you'd need a court order to pass data protection law.

Then you'd have to prove they actually put it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Back home Someone decided to dump a load of sh!te down a farm lane of ours (not to house, bout half mile away). Had to get it collected by private contractor. Was registered , so hopefully he didn't just fcuk it elsewhere.

Slightly OT, can you pursue people who put rubbish in your wheelie bin. Stupid sod left a few of his payslips in bag. Might just send an official looking letter to him.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Back home Someone decided to dump a load of sh!te down a farm lane of ours (not to house, bout half mile away). Had to get it collected by private contractor. Was registered , so hopefully he didn't just fcuk it elsewhere.

Slightly OT, can you pursue people who put rubbish in your wheelie bin. Stupid sod left a few of his payslips in bag. Might just send an official looking letter to him.

If its a regular issue, you can get wheelie bin locks.

Some of the bin operators can even fit gravity locks. These lock the bin but open when it's tipped up by the truck.

Others just lock and need to be unlocked on bin day to allow collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

paddy147 wrote: »
    Best joke post of the day.....:pac::pac::D

well best joke post of sept 2012 maybe :rolleyes:

dont see the issue. theres an issue wth fly tipping at a local beauty spot; ive phoned the council, got put through to the litter warden, the rubbish is gone within a few days. maybe laois is streets ahead of dublin though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

smash wrote: »
    What's fly tipping?
    When you see a sleeping housefly on the counter, sneak up to it real quite like and tip it over with your finger onto its side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

dont see the issue. theres an issue wth fly tipping at a local beauty spot; ive phoned the council, got put through to the litter warden, the rubbish is gone within a few days. maybe laois is streets ahead of dublin though?

Unfortunately it doesn't just magically disappear after a phone call to the warden. Someone, i.e. the council has to clean it up and that's at a cost to the tax payer so that doesn't solve the problem. It just means the bloke dumping the rubbish doesn't pay but everyone else does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Unfortunately it doesn't just magically disappear after a phone call to the warden. Someone, i.e. the council has to clean it up and that's at a cost to the tax payer so that doesn't solve the problem. It just means the bloke dumping the rubbish doesn't pay but everyone else does

Agreed, but I've also had a call from the litter warden, they found a statement in rubbish pertaining to where i work and asked if i would confirm the address - i did - and they advised they would be prosecuting. i also regularly see stories in the local newspaper of prosecutions and fines. i do believe that in my area, they are doing their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Agreed, but I've also had a call from the litter warden, they found a statement in rubbish pertaining to where i work and asked if i would confirm the address - i did - and they advised they would be prosecuting. i also regularly see stories in the local newspaper of prosecutions and fines. i do believe that in my area, they are doing their best.

To be fair, I'm sure litter wardens up and down the country are doing the same and prosecuting when they can. Lets just hope they have enough resources to do it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

paddy147 wrote: »
    So what about a person puting some rubbish into a County Council waste bin on the roadside??

I mean its a public waste bin so can a person come along with say a bag of ash from a fire or some empty milk cartons/mineral bottles and put them into the public waste bins??

Is there any law against doing that????

It seems to be illegal alright:

"If you see someone attempting to place their domestic waste into a street litter bin - phone the Litter Warden - this is also an illegal act; "
    http://www.newbridgetidytowns.com/civic-pride-|-litter-page23087.html

"...littering offences, including the disposal of domestic refuse into Council provided litter bins"
    http://www.youghal.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=297&Itemid=325

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Barcodes are unique per product, they are not unique per instance of the same product...the barcode on 2 tins of 200 gram Heinz beans will be identical.

Even if they weren't, the cost required to implement the above suggestion make it entirely unfeasible, aside from the privacy issues...

Yep,it cost them say for example 1000 euro of time and effort to tack the person down,and the judge slaps him with a 100 euro fine.

Great another case solved then.:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yep,quite possibly so...when you see the amount of rubbish on the road sides in Dublin these days.

And now all of a sudden since Phil Hogan opened his fat gob to withhold money from county councils.....its the "we havent got the funds/budget to clean up all the streets".

But funnily enough they have found 60 million euro to move a city library from once side of the road to the other side of the road into a brand new building/development.

So much for "we have no funds"....:pac:

I remember hearing a BBC announcer saying that Newsnight was going to be investigating the scourge of 'fly tipping' that was 'sweeping the UK'

I assumed it was like 'happy slapping', 'planking' or something similar.

Irish people tend to call it 'illegal dumping'

I think we should stick to our own terminology or we will slip into calling binmen 'dustmen' before long!
    Another English waste-disposal term I do not understand. I mean seriously, do they just collect dust?!

I've even heard them call a bin lorry a 'dust cart'

Advertisement