Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Tipping!

Options
  • 19-09-2012 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

:mad:
    Got what appears to be a serial fly tipper in my area. Chanced his/her arm with one bag and now there's more after appearing. Any experiences on dealing with them?

Note the area in not in sight of houses, so it would be easy to drive up, fire out a bag and drive off.

I did have tipping in a different spot and actually went thru the stuff, eastern european food wrappers/convenience foods and loads of marlboro fag butts and boxes so must've been from a house of lads working on sites on their own...they were cute enough not to put anything with a postal address in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What's fly tipping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

smash wrote: »
    What's fly tipping?

Throwing black plastic sacks of sh*te by the side of the road instead of taking it to recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What a load of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Throwing black plastic sacks of sh*te by the side of the road instead of taking it to recycling.
    Where's the fun in that? Now cow tipping... there's a sport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Do flies make good waiters? All that throwing up on peoples food can't be healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We had a problem with it a few years ago. My dad went through the rubbish and found some personal notes in it, as well as the address. He wrote to the person, stating all the personal stuff 'I hope (daughter's name) had a good time at basketball practice' etc. and then at the end just said 'We know you're dumping rubbish. Stop!'
    Not a problem since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Phone the council, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They tend to breed like rabbits,you get one bag and everyone else dumps there as well.As someond who cycles around the countryside I can tell you that anywhere you can park a car you will find bags of rubbish,not to mention bags thrown in ditches along the road and the occasional bag just thrown on the road probably from a moving vehicle,add that to the general rubbish thrown in ditches and hedgerows and the result is a disgusting kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Maybe the council are dumping stuff themselves and wont clear it up because of "Cutbacks" just so you'll pay the household charge

I know, I know, conspiracy theories that way ->->->->-> :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I do think it's the same person doing this because they fire the bag over the ditch into a drain so the bag is out of sight unless you take the trouble look down.
    At a layby a few miles away there was and still is a lot of crap being tipped, saw a calf in the field quite happily chewing a discarded nappy one day. The council do shag-all, useless bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Strange thing with fly tipping is that wherever the council put up sighns saying
    " no dumping " that's where you'll find it because the sighn tells them that other people have dumped stuff there and gotten away with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is your chance to paint yourself in camouflage, hide in the bushes and do a steak-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Throw all the bags onto a big hape and set it alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Landmines ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Do flies make good waiters?

Waiter there's a human in my soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

smash wrote: »
    Where's the fun in that? Now cow tipping... there's a sport!

I never saw the fun in cow tipping, all the Dubs were mad into it when we were in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

did you find any medical records? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I did have tipping in a different spot and actually went thru the stuff, eastern european food wrappers/convenience foods and loads of marlboro fag butts and boxes so must've been from a house of lads working on sites on their own...they were cute enough not to put anything with a postal address in it.

Not much you can do so, op.
    If they are smart enough to leave out any personal details nothing really can come about.

My family home is in a council estate. There is one neighbour (who is at the end of the estate, right beside the estate green park area) who always dumps things over his wall. Blatantly like. They got a new dish last year and the next day you saw an old dish laying there... Not a bother in the world. Of course, proving and knowing its them are two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This is your chance to paint yourself in camouflage, hide in the bushes and do a steak-out.

Now why would a fella hide in the bushes with a slab of steak and hide out? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

When I read the title, I thought something had gotten caught in a zip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madamab

The residents of a housing estate which are under Dunlaoghaire Rathdown co council appear to be filling their cars with rubbish and popping next door to the bins of the complex beside them to dump their rubbish. This is a privately managed estate with management fees paid for bins etc. The people in the Dunlaoghaire Rathdown houses are so snotty and if anyone even parks on their road even though it is a council road they stick signs all over your car and sellotape wrapped round it and once after I ignored the stickers my mirror was broken.. We saw a middle aged couple today blatantly open their boot and lift 2 large white binbags full to the brim into the bins. What can be done? It is private property so has anyone any idea what the next step is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi to answer many questions the best option is to as said get onto the council and also camera's are a great friend to have it's the only way to really prove they done it.

There are covert camera's that can be installed that are motion sensor (pir) and would be great to catch the reg of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Sniper rifle packed with tranquilliser - Sit at window and just wait. Plenty of time for the relevant authorities to arrive and interview said suspects after waking them up at the scene.

Now the oncoming firearms and assault charges will be something to deal with another time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Phone the council, simples.

Best joke post of the day.....:pac::pac::D

:mad:
    Got what appears to be a serial fly tipper in my area. Chanced his/her arm with one bag and now there's more after appearing. Any experiences on dealing with them?

Note the area in not in sight of houses, so it would be easy to drive up, fire out a bag and drive off.

...gets burnt in the stove/fire or shredded up to avoid ID theft.;)

You are actually advized to do that these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Not much you can do so, op.
    If they are smart enough to leave out any personal details nothing really can come about.

Not so fast to dismiss....

The vast amount of rubbish carry product packaging with barcodes or qr codes

These barcodes can be tracked back to the point of purchase which will carry all the details, dates & times sold, till numbers monitored by cameras, credit, debit or loyalty cards used with all the customer detail.

But these methods would possibly be used in severe or serious cases of dumping. But that's a measure of how far an investigation could be taken to track illegal dumping.

So what about a person puting some rubbish into a County Council waste bin on the roadside??

I mean its a public waste bin so can a person come along with say a bag of ash from a fire or some empty milk cartons/mineral bottles and put them into the public waste bins??

Is there any law against doing that????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

€1000 reward for video evidence of illegal dumping.

€2000 fine for illegal dumping.

Yet another problem solved by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

books4sale wrote: »
    Not so fast to dismiss....

The vast amount of rubbish carry product packaging with barcodes or qr codes

These barcodes can be tracked back to the point of purchase which will carry all the details, dates & times sold, till numbers monitored by cameras, credit, debit or loyalty cards used with all the customer detail.

But these methods would possibly be used in severe or serious cases of dumping. But that's a measure of how far an investigation could be taken to track illegal dumping.

Barcodes are unique per product, they are not unique per instance of the same product...the barcode on 2 tins of 200 gram Heinz beans will be identical.

Even if they weren't, the cost required to implement the above suggestion make it entirely unfeasible, aside from the privacy issues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If you are rooting through the rubbish to find evidence, be careful of needlestick injury and such.
    Wear gloves and use a litter picker.

Advertisement