Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook competitions, anyone ever win?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

eth0 wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of Google fanboys and even employees on this site but personally I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Just another company that needs to bring a return to its shareholders.

What does this have to do with trusting Google? You said that all Google products that aren't search are "shoite". You did not mention trust in your laughably incorrect statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Shelflife wrote: »
    Nothing but people sharing pictures and liking pages in order to win All Ireland tickets, ipads,iphones,dr dre etc etc.

Has anyone ever won any of these prizes or even know someone who won a prize?

:eek: I could win dr dre??

Damn beaten to it, cant believe it got to page 2 before it was said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I won a Jack Daniels T-shirt off their facebook page :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I won twice on the gamestop ireland FB page. A game and some DLC the other time. That was just answering questions they posted.

The Like and Share thing is a load of crap, never hear of anyone winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I played some Maxol game for 2 minutes last week, won €100 worth of Maxol petrol vouchers which just got here this morning. I've won cinema tickets and 2 nights away in the Clarion. I enter a lot of competitions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

BOF666 wrote: »
    "For every like this little girl gets, Facebook will donate $1 to cancer research"

Not a competition, but still can't be true...

That sort of stuff isn't true. If it's a genuine company it can be, I've seen certain charities have a similar thing where a big company sponsors the charity for the amount of likes a charity gets. Should be easy to spot the genuine & non genuine competitions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The worst about Facebook is when some moronic page that is about some stupid irrelevant person/event starts sharing tearjerker pictures of people with hideous deformities or people riddled in sickness, then they caption it with "1 Like = 1 Prayer, 1 Comment = 10 Prayers 1 Share = 1,000 Prayers". I usually unfriend the people that have 'liked' or 'shared' these idiotic and pointless posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I won 40 euro in groupon credit for a retweet. They sent a code to my email.

Isn't that where Jonathan Woss goes to meditate about God and stuff for a weekend?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have won an iTouch through a facebook page. It was a first 10 to answer kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I won a PC World Voucher for €400 after 'liking' the Skoda Page about a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Nobody wins those. They are scams

Google+ is shoite, as with all google products that aren't a search engine
    Take it your an icrap fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

I won a hoodie from captain Morgan and stuff from Mick's garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Katunga wrote: »
    Take it your an icrap fan.

Not a bit, far too locked down and closed off for my liking. Also no hardware keyboards on those. There is really nothing out there thats any good at the minute the only thing that might have potential is that Nokia N900 OS but it seems to have been mothballed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've won a decent few gig tickets through FB from reputable clubs around town. There are a load of 'Technics 1210's for sharing this' BS type things that are along with the ipad scams. I only enter comps of organisations I know about and know exist.

I won flights for two to London from Aer Arann once.

It was a competition on their page rather than a like and share one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

BOF666 wrote: »
    "For every like this little girl gets, Facebook will donate $1 to cancer research"

Not a competition, but still can't be true...

Barretstown run one in conjunction with Dominos (I think) that's fairly legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Isn't that where Jonathan Woss goes to meditate about God and stuff for a weekend?:confused:

:rimshot: :D

I should also have mentioned that I saw the competition on a DJ's fanpage I'd liked, all I had to do was tweet something like "hells yeah groupon #fanpage" and only about 10 other folk bothered doing so which shortened the odds massively.

It's not all scams, as you can see from all the responses. Tesco obviously isn't gonna give everyone a 200 euro voucher for sharing a pic, but bands, bars and small businesses will often do giveaways and competitions to raise their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

I won an ipad for liking a post. Didn't think it was real even though I got email. They sent the order confirmation page from apple and all, but mates were telling me it was a scam til DHL rang me a fortnight later with a delivery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Funny enough, all those competitions that ask you to share to enter, are actually against Facebook terms.

I ran a competition through http://www.facebook.com/VanTasks a few months ago to promote the business and my "We shop, We Drop" delivery service by giving away a €250 IKEA Shopping Prize and did it the "like, share, comment" way without knowing it was against the rules when I started. In about 3 weeks I got about 400 likes and a lady in Dublin won so she just sent me a shopping list and her address, I went and did the shopping and delivered it and that was that.

I'm currently running a competition, but this time, within the Facebook terms of promotions and it's had an absolutely dismal response. I'm giving away a €200 vehicle dash camera and still really easy to enter, but by abiding to promotion guidelines as well as changes to how people see their news feed, the popularity of the contest is very poor compared to the rule breaking one just a few months ago. I've had less than 50 entries and less than 50 new likes with only a handful of correct answers. Also Facebook now have a "promoted post" option so I've actually paid to promote the posts about the competition as well as putting a regular ad for it on Facebook, so spent a good chunk of change compared to the last one where I spent nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cormie wrote: »
    Funny enough, all those competitions that ask you to share to enter, are actually against Facebook terms.

I ran a competition through http://www.facebook.com/VanTasks a few months ago to promote the business and my "We shop, We Drop" delivery service by giving away a €250 IKEA Shopping Prize and did it the "like, share, comment" way without knowing it was against the rules when I started. In about 3 weeks I got about 400 likes and a lady in Dublin won so she just sent me a shopping list and her address, I went and did the shopping and delivered it and that was that.

I'm currently running a competition, but this time, within the Facebook terms of promotions and it's had an absolutely dismal response. I'm giving away a €200 vehicle dash camera and still really easy to enter, but by abiding to promotion guidelines as well as changes to how people see their news feed, the popularity of the contest is very poor compared to the rule breaking one just a few months ago. I've had less than 50 entries and less than 50 new likes with only a handful of correct answers. Also Facebook now have a "promoted post" option so I've actually paid to promote the posts about the competition as well as putting a regular ad for it on Facebook, so spent a good chunk of change compared to the last one where I spent nothing.

I'd say a few more have entered since.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Since that post? Just the 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Not a bit, far too locked down and closed off for my liking. Also no hardware keyboards on those. There is really nothing out there thats any good at the minute the only thing that might have potential is that Nokia N900 OS but it seems to have been mothballed

So you're saying that you don't like any of the technology and are holding out for something that doesn't even exist.
    Hope that goes well for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I won a box of tea Bags from Barrys Tea.

Generally if it says "Win an iPad/Ipod/iPhone/iPiddle", then its some kind of a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I won a Jacob's Creek sponsored meal for two in the vaults of Christ Church Cathedral. It was great, brilliant food and buckets of free wine.

A month later my girlfriend won an iPad2 on some random 'click like and share' competition from an Irish online health a beauty shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

So you're saying that you don't like any of the technology and are holding out for something that doesn't even exist.
    Hope that goes well for ya.

4 popular mobile phone operating systems that all happen to be shoite. Things will improve no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

I've won a months free gym membership, 2 spots for Muster Rugby's Junior training camp and a wok off Uncle Ben's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

ArtyM wrote: »
    Ok, but apart from..

Gmail

Google search

Android

Reader

Gchat

Maps

Picasa

Drive/Docs

Youtube (although thats getting worse)

Calendar

Translate

Navigation

Goggles (although thats search)

Chrome

Analytics

what has Google done for us?

Reminds meof that great sequence in the life of brian "WHat did the Romans ever do for us"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I won a shopping bag with Irish Pride on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

My cousin won a holiday to Barcelona the other day the lucky wench!

I won a competition to get my mam's bedroom painted the other night too. :D

Advertisement