Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another noob

Options
  • 18-09-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I figured I better start my own thread instead of piggybacking others.

Got my kit today(kanger T2 and Ego T Battery) and have a few questions. Did or do any of you feel you need to vape longer than you smoked to get the same level of satisfaction?

Also vaping Ry4-A, which is ok. But I'd like to try one of the others I got. Is it ok just to replace the Kanger to the same battery? I mean will the one I unscrew leak or dry out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

No it wont leak when you take it off so work away. It might take a while to find a flavour you really love. It's really the hardest part. Especially as your taste buds change when you give up smoking - you might not be crazy about a flavour now but might end up loving it in a few months. The only thing to do is keep experimenting with samples and don't write off flavours you don't think you'd normally go for. At the start most people just think they'll like tobacco flavours but fruity and sweet flavours can be amazing.

I get instant nicotine satisfaction when I vape but can't really remember if that's what it was like when I started. There have been posts that you absorb nicotine differently when vaping than you do when smoking so that might have something to do with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

depends what you mean by vape longer

generally with vaping you want to take long slow drags, letting the vapour sit in your mouth and then inhale it

if you're just doing short ciggie sized draws on the atomiser, might be why it's taking so long to give you satisfaction

or it's possible you're using a juice that's too low in nicotine. keep at it anyway, some things can take a while to either get used to or become apparent that something else is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Needing to vape longer or more often is par for the course.
    The initial hit is the same, but a lot less nicotine enters the bloodstream which lowers it's half-life compared to a cig.
    If you want the same effect as a cig, you'd need to up your mg to 18 or into the 20s or 30s (some on UKV have gone up to 45), at which point the dosage and the throathit would put you off puffing for a while.
    I made a 30mg concoction once and could only ever find it satisfying while drinking - when I was sober I was wired: when I'm sober and wired I get panic attacks. Bad idea.

Your Kanger won't leak when you unscrew it unless you balance it on it's drip tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Cheers guys, will try the El Toro now with the other kanger.

Yeah I smoke short quick drags on a cigarette, which from what I have read/seen I'll have to try change and take deeper pulls from the ecig.

Edit-Vaping a 20mg liquid. It feels right(back of the throat), but instead of smoking for 2-3 mins, I'm vaping for 8-10mins with a few gaps.

Err how do I get the liquid out of the El Toro cigarillos? The top is completely different and doesnt seem to get any fluid out.

• Advertisement

take out the white plastic insert. use a knife or a scissors or somethingf
    then toss it in the bin

--edit

that bloody insert seems to stump everybody the first time

take out the white plastic insert. use a knife or a scissors or somethingf
    then toss it in the bin

--edit

that bloody insert seems to stump everybody the first time

Cheers, made pouring a bit trickier, but yeah, it seems obvious to try pour from the insert because it has the nipple bit in the middle.

Ok, this stuff is better, less sweet than the RY4-A

yeah the cigarillos is lovely. nice bite off it and excellent flavour. it can seem kind of flavourless if you chain vape it, it's very cigarette like that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Allah_

Anyone wrote: »

Ok, this stuff is better, less sweet than the RY4-A

Does it taste like an actual fag? I've heard all over the place that this is the best tobacco juice you can get.

Allah_ wrote: »
    Does it taste like an actual fag? I've heard all over the place that this is the best tobacco juice you can get.

I smoke John Player Blue, and to me this tastes of roll ups. Now, to someone who smokes roll ups, it might not taste like roll ups. But its still a little sweet, but way less than the caramel of RY4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I smoke John Player Blue, and to me this tastes of roll ups.

Best news I've read all day! Hope my stuff arrives in the post tomorrow.

Balls.....had a smoke this morning with my coffee. Didnt even realise I had lit up, as I was still half asleep.

Anyway, its 1 cigarette since 5.00pm yesterday. Will see how the vaping goes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Don't beat yourself up. A lot of people are the same in the early days - try to think of the cigs you haven't smoked and don't focus on the one you have!

I did a gradual cross over. Spent about a week alternating between smoking and vaping just til I got used to it and settled on some flavours. Then picked a day to just vape. Tried a cig about 3 days later and thought it was disgusting. Haven't looked back since!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

sept09baby wrote: »
    Then picked a day to just vape. Tried a cig about 3 days later and thought it was disgusting. Haven't looked back since!

Same. I tried a cig a week after starting vaping on a night out with some friends. I took one drag and immediately when 'yuck, nah thanks I think I'll stick to my yummy vapour.'

a couple of months after I started vaping my charger broke, and it was a bank holiday weekend so I had to wait 4-5 days beore I could get a new one
    i paced my vaping as much as I could but both batteries died with 2 days to go before my charger would arrive
    bought a packet of cigs.. first 5-6 were disgusting but i wanted the nic so I smoked one every few hours... by the time I was having the 6th/7th cig.. they were tasting a lot better, i was exhaling and doing that "aaaaaaaaaah" thing you do when you haven't had a cig in ages

by the end of the packet I was loving it and was back to my regular smoking a cig every hour or so.

make sure you have backup chargers and stuff, cigarettes will suck you right back in in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

a couple of months after I started vaping my charger broke, and it was a bank holiday weekend so I had to wait 4-5 days beore I could get a new one
    i paced my vaping as much as I could but both batteries died with 2 days to go before my charger would arrive
    bought a packet of cigs.. first 5-6 were disgusting but i wanted the nic so I smoked one every few hours... by the time I was having the 6th/7th cig.. they were tasting a lot better, i was exhaling and doing that "aaaaaaaaaah" thing you do when you haven't had a cig in ages

by the end of the packet I was loving it and was back to my regular smoking a cig every hour or so.

make sure you have backup chargers and stuff, cigarettes will suck you right back in in no time at all.

Good advice but the beauty of ecigs is that it's just as easy to transition back to them. I ended up giving all my smokegreen batteries,chargers and carts to my mother for her 3 month visit to her sister in Oz. I was left with nothing for 3 days until my new stuff came. I smoked regular cigs for that period and enjoying them as much as ever. Yet I wasn't stressed about the thoughts of going off them again. I couldn't wait for my vaping gear to come and didn't miss the real fags at all when I was back vaping again. Contrast that with any other NRT. Ye give in to the temptation, buy a pack and say to yourself, "feck it, failed again" and you end up back on the cigs for another year or two till you'd build up the willpower to give up again.

Even if I decide to ween myself off vaping and down the road I give in to nicotine temptation, at worst it will be a case of buying a disposable in a shop or buying one pack of fags and digging out my vaping gear from the back of a drawer when I get home. Ie at worst I'll be back to vaping not back to smoking.

yeah, as soon as my charger came in the post I charged the battery up and was vaping again.. no hassle at all

as you say, even if I do quit vaping.. i'll keep some supplies stored somewhere so if I ever get a craving I can't just ignore I can just vape instead of buying a pack

Ah good point about getting a back up charger. Will buy that when I order my next set if liquids. Seriously enjoying this El Toro Cigarillos juice.

Over all I feel I have done well, had a few beers yesterday, no cigarette, went out for lunch with a friend, no cigarette(although she did say my kit looked like some wierd kind of hash pipe). So, 23 hours after I started, I've had 1 cigarette, very happy with that. Work tomorrow, should be interesting how that fairs out!

I had 2 or 3 real fags a day for the first week. It was almost like I was checking to see if I was kidding myself about how good a substitute the e-cigs were. After day 2 or 3 I was already able to recognise that not only was I not kidding myself but that they were even better than a substitute. They were bloody well much nicer than a real cig with a nicer throat hit./ A much more satisfying experience than a real cig and thats despite the fact that much less nicotine is delivered by an e-cig and it takes longer to hit the bloodstream. I finished the pack of real cigs the end of the first week and. A few days without even thinking of them and vaping 100%, then found out the mother was going to OZ and didn't want to smoke over there nor come back a smoker. Thats when I gave her my gear smoked 3 days before back to vaping since. 2 weeks 100% vaping now and haven't thought of a real cig since which is good going considering that as a Newsagent/tobacconist (Oh the irony) I have the bloody things 1ft over my right shoulder (and sell them to every second customer) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Ah good point about getting a back up charger. Will buy that when I order my next set if liquids. Seriously enjoying this El Toro Cigarillos juice.

Over all I feel I have done well, had a few beers yesterday, no cigarette, went out for lunch with a friend, no cigarette(although she did say my kit looked like some wierd kind of hash pipe). So, 23 hours after I started, I've had 1 cigarette, very happy with that. Work tomorrow, should be interesting how that fairs out!

It great your getting on well, I think someone said it already but the way you vape is very important so just keep practicing taking long slow draws instead of fast short ones and it will work even better for you then. ;)

• Advertisement

newmark wrote: »
    It great your getting on well, I think someone said it already but the way you vape is very important so just keep practicing taking long slow draws instead of fast short ones and it will work even better for you then. ;)

Changing how I "smoke" has been a challenge, been messing around today trying different styles. So far what I have found best is, I hold down the button, and let the vapour build in my mouth, then take a big inhale. Can really taste the vapour better.

A lot of newbies make the mistake of lung-inhaling. A couple I know still don't know how to mouth inhale..?
    I've explained it, but they don't get the concept, but then again, I don't get how people can inhale straight to the lung, even with a cig.
    Horses for Courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

can you explain the difference?

lung inhale is just sucking straight in, the vapour doesnt rest in your mouth at all you just suck it straight down into the lung

mouth inhale is the way it should be done.. although lung inhale has its place.
    with a mouth inhale youn just draw the vapour into your mouth, as you would with a cigar, then you inhale sharply.. unlike a cigar

Right, this might sound like a very very noob question, but the water vapor.......is it the water in my mouth thats being turned to vapour?

Right, this might sound like a very very noob question, but the water vapor.......is it the water in my mouth thats being turned to vapour?

It's PG/VG vapour, the water vapour thing is a misnomer.

grindle wrote: »
    It's PG/VG vapour, the water vapour thing is a misnomer.

So why isnt there any visable vapour when I use it without placing it in my mouth?

So why isnt there any visable vapour when I use it without placing it in my mouth?

If you were looking directly at a wet coil that was being heated, you'd see a bit, but the reason more comes out when you suck on it is because of the air you pull onto the coil heating it up more...
    Think of how bellows work when they're used for a fire. More oxygen = bigger fire.
    More oxygen pulled onto the coil = more heat, thus vapour.

lung inhale is just sucking straight in, the vapour doesnt rest in your mouth at all you just suck it straight down into the lung

mouth inhale is the way it should be done.. although lung inhale has its place.
    with a mouth inhale youn just draw the vapour into your mouth, as you would with a cigar, then you inhale sharply.. unlike a cigar

Was I not supposed to mouth inhale a real cigarette. Was I doing it wrong for 17 years!! :D

• Advertisement

i never met anyone who lung inhaled cigs but there are a surprisingly large number of people online who said that's how they smoked them

cant imagine it tbh, be awful

Advertisement