Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I about to over-react?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

There is a minor issue in my own life that is beginning to trouble me.

I play cricket. Now please don't laugh but within the game, the tea interval is an integral aspect of the social aspect of the game (not to mention an opportunity to refresh oneself from an arduous afternoon of standing in a field on a pleasant summer's afternoon....). As those in the know will understand there is a fair number of muslims from the sub-continent playing it. In some clubs there is a large majority of them and in a small number of them they set up the clubs for themselves and are 100% muslim. Recently, I have found that these clubs in particular are serving only halal food at the tea interval. I don't have a problem with the taste of food but with the assumption that I would be willing to eat it at all. I don't personally expect anyone to eat what I do but that they expect me to eat by their dietary requirements is beginning to really bug me. I have said nothing yet (apart from the occasional mutter to my captain) and the season has just finished so it won't be an issue again untill next year.

Should I say nothing or am I right to object to being expected to eat by the dietary rules of a moronic superstition?
    I must add that the problem is not limited to halal. If the food was kosher the objection would be the same but there isn't that many jews playing cricket here since Carlise stopped playing as a club back in the nineties.

Of course, I don't have to eat it, but like I said the hospitality aspect of the game is important. No one expects that they would eat the sausage sandwiches that are traditional in my own club (and for which it it famed within North Dublin cricket as far as I understand) but other foods are provided. My objection is the lack of reciprocation.

Am I over-reacting?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think so. The meat is the same, the animal is just killed a certain way. I don't have a problem with that myself.

I'd be more upset by the lack of bacon sandwiches!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Is it halal or the menu that's annoying you? to the non muslim whether it's halal or not should make no difference AFAIK except maybe in price perhaps and the lack of sausages, but to the practicing moslem it is very important.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Perhaps it depends on who's providing the food? If it's supplied by your club or at least, paid for by your subscription, then you've as much right to your choice as anybody else does. If people are bringing their own lunches and pooling them, well, it's not unreasonable for people to look after themselves.

If you're travelling to other clubs and only one style of food is served there, then I think you're within your rights to ask for something that you like, on the understanding that visitors to your club can do the same when they visit you.

One possible way of resolving the issue is to suggest that visitors are asked ahead of time for their lunch requirements, and the hosting club agrees to provide whatever reasonable items the visitors want. If you wish to play the issue as diplomatically as possible, you could say to your own club that you're suggesting the idea of menu choice since you notice that many muslim cricket players might be put off by the default menu of sausages on the north side and you wish to be as welcoming and accommodating as possible to people who visit. The other club will then be honor-bound to reciprocate with menu-choice too.

Otherwise, well, it sounds like something out of Yes, Prime Minister.

Do you have an objection to the cruelty involved in halal slaughter?
    Otherwise, I think your being petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There must be great craic in the bar afterwards!:D

As for the food, well it kinda is what it is - they can't serve everything, so there is a set menu and if you don't like it you're just screwed. It's basically the same everywhere is it not? If someone off an opposing team doesn't like the food you serve then they'd just have to do without i pressume?
    I personally wouldn't make an issue of it........i also wouldn't be playing cricket, but that's just me!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do you have an objection to the cruelty involved in halal slaughter?
    This. I don't eat meat and there's no way I would ever buy or serve halal meat to my husband/at a dinner party/etc. If you have a legitimate objection in this arena, I would voice it - I personally think it's reasonable to ask for ethically-sourced and killed meat products (in fact, I think it a bit of duty).

If you are just objecting to the religious ceremony associated with the preparation of the meat, then I'd leave it. It's meaningless to you. It has no bearing on your life.

Yeah I think the issue the OP has is the slaughter method rather than the label put on the food.

Personally I'd prefer to eat non-Halal and non-Kosher meat but at the same time I don't think the difference in killing method allows me to get too high and mighty when I might be eating that animal's brother in burger form that night anyway.

Does the OP have the option of eating only vegetarian options at tea?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah I think the issue the OP has is the slaughter method rather than the label put on the food.
    I'm not getting that (though legspin can confirm (cricket term?!)).

I think it's the principle that because there's a load of Muslims present, that everyone should accept that food will be halal from now on.

Personally, I would find it mildly irritating, but say nothing. I just hate pandering to daft traditions and people assuming that because it's a religious - and dare I say it - in particular a Muslim tradition there's no choice in the matter.

If, however, halal food was something I genuinely found unpalatable I would find it hard to not make the point that all club members deserve to be catered for. it's a cricket club, not a Mosque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm completely failing to see the point.
    Muslims require their meat to be killed in a particular way, you don't.

What is there to be upset / indignant about?

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    (though legspin can confirm (cricket term?!))
    Batsman position themselves such that they have leg side (where the bat is positioned on the opposite side of their body). So for a right-handed batsman, the left of the pitch is the "leg side". "Leg spin" is type of ball bowled such that it bounces then spins away from the leg side of the batsman. For a right-handed batsman, this means it bounces, then spins away to his right.

*is not really a girl*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if someone else is providing the food, it seems a bit churlish to complain. for example, if the other team were comprised of coeliacs, and they were supplying the food, it's fair for them to supply food everyone can eat.
    you may be asking them to supply meat they have a religious objection to; whatever your issues with those beliefs, it's not the time or the place to cause an issue over it.

if someone else is providing the food, it seems a bit churlish to complain. for example, if the other team were comprised of coeliacs, and they were supplying the food, it's fair for them to supply food everyone can eat.
    you may be asking them to supply meat they have a religious objection to; whatever your issues with those beliefs, it's not the time or the place to cause an issue over it.
    I'm not sure I agree with the premise that you cater only for yourself or your group. When you have guest, it's it your duty to ensure their needs are met, not only your own? I would agree that unless you have a serious objection, it would be churlish to complain for the sake of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gurgle wrote: »
    I'm completely failing to see the point.
    Muslims require their meat to be killed in a particular way, you don't.

What is there to be upset / indignant about?
    It's particularly barbaric and inhumane.

I don't see any reason to complain on religious principles, so presuming you're happy with how halal meat is slaughtered, then there's not a whole lot to give out about.

At the end of the day, the club provides the food and you're not being forced to eat it. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to make a complaint/suggestion if you have good reason why you won't eat the halal stuff and would like an alternative option to be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the crux of the issue is this:
    Of course, I don't have to eat it, but like I said the hospitality aspect of the game is important. No one expects that they would eat the sausage sandwiches that are traditional in my own club (and for which it it famed within North Dublin cricket as far as I understand) but other foods are provided. My objection is the lack of reciprocation.

The non-Muslim clubs have non-halal meats but also provides something else the Muslims can eat, whereas the Muslim clubs are only providing halal meats with no alternative (if I'm understanding this correctly).

I think you're right on principle, but to make an issue of it might be an over-reaction. If there's nothing there you can eat, is it possible to bring your own food? Maybe seeing you bring your own food might subtly hint to them that, while they don't need to provided non-halal meats which would conflict with their religion, they should still attempt to provide some alternative

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doctoremma wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with the premise that you cater only for yourself or your group. When you have guest, it's it your duty to ensure their needs are met, not only your own?
    but if they are providing halal food, and you can eat it, it's easiest just to provide halal food. especially if they have an issue with non-halal food.

you don't expect to sit down as a guest in a jewish household and expect them to serve ham to you.

but if they are providing halal food, and you can eat it, it's easiest just to provide halal food. especially if they have an issue with non-halal food.
    Agree, but have yet to ascertain why the OP doesn't want to eat it. I wouldn't support him boycotting it in protest at the religious aspect but I would support him if he had an ethical objection to halal meat production.
    you don't expect to sit down as a guest in a jewish household and expect them to serve ham to you.
    No, of course, but I DO expect a host to provide something I can eat with clear conscience.

seamus wrote: »
    It's particularly barbaric and inhumane.
    wikipedia wrote:
    "This method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, wind pipe and jugular veins"

Doesn't sound that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't sound that bad.
    Is it the method of execution you would choose for yourself? It takes about a minute for the animal to bleed out, while it's held in place and struggling.

Is it the method of execution you would choose for yourself? It takes about a minute for the animal to bleed out, while it's held in place and struggling.
    I've read the papers (science ones, not PETA propaganda). It takes longer than a minute for cows to lose consciousness and bleed out.

Will dig them out for you.

ETA: removed my assertion of 7+ minutes. I had remembered a stat regarding 7% of cattle.

• Advertisement

Hardly a full minute of consciousness with the windpipe, jugular and cartoid cut?

Better than electrocution, stoning or hanging anyway.

Given a straight-up 'how would you like to die' after sentencing, I'd probably opt for a free-fall from 10,000 feet with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a joint in the other.

Not that practical for a slaughterhouse, though it would make for nice tender steak. Of course meat-beasties don't have opposable thumbs so could appreciate neither the whiskey nor the joint. Also (afaik) farm animals rarely shown much interest in scenery or adrenaline sports.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Actually, if this is only the case where the host club (and not legspin's) is providing halal food to cater for it's majority Muslim players, then so be it. Their turf, their rules.

So unless there's a very strong objection on animal cruelty grounds, which I suspect is unlikely given the fame of the usual sausage sandwiches, then I would put up and shut up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do you have an objection to the cruelty involved in halal slaughter? Otherwise, I think your being petty.
    I don't quite see how it's petty. If somebody's extending hospitality to somebody else, then it's incumbent on the host to make sure that the guest feels welcome and looked after -- basic sociability really. Anything else, and the host just isn't making much of an effort at being a good host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Most importantly of all, is the halal food nice?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd leave it be. If they set the club up in the first place then it's up to them what food they serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think we have to pick our battles, legspin. Don't think this is one.

Pack a rasher sambo. That'll show 'em! And it can be hard to ignore those samosas...

endacl wrote: »
    Pack a rasher sambo. That'll show 'em! And it can be hard to ignore those samosas...
    rasher sambos are way overrated. sausage sandwiches all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Hardly a full minute of consciousness with the windpipe, jugular and cartoid cut?

Judge for yourself.

Halal slaughter

Regular slaughter

I am not embedding these videos because they may be distressing for some and they are probably NSFW.

While the specific circumstances of the OP surround the notion of reciprocity, I think Halal is something worth taking a stand against anyway. While those of us who eat meat should not shy away from the reality of the abattoir process, I think that we should, IMO, where possible, be committed to minimising the suffering of these animals and choose higher welfare meat wherever and whenever we can.

I don't think that Halal is any better or worse than battery farming of chicken because you're only replacing one motivation with another but is not something that any of us should condone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hold on a minute legspin! Didn't we sit in a certain establishment on camden street one evening during Ramadan this year? With a load of Muslim families breaking their fast? I had a kebab. So did you. A tasty one. Presumably a tasty halal one! What have we done?!? As I recall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    Actually, if this is only the case where the host club (and not legspin's) is providing halal food to cater for it's majority Muslim players, then so be it. Their turf, their rules.

So unless there's a very strong objection on animal cruelty grounds, which I suspect is unlikely given the fame of the usual sausage sandwiches, then I would put up and shut up.

I agree with this. I mean, it's not like the OP cannot eat the halal meats anyway. Also, the OP made no reference to concerns of animal cruelty initially so I think approaching the hosting Muslim club from that angle would be little more than a smokescreen.

Advertisement