Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help, want to travel, money an issue.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Nothing. Just travel around China and Asia.

In between trolling on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

How cheap is it over there ? will communication be a major problem if you cant speak chinese/japanese.

Regarding China:

You can live as cheaply or as expensively as you want.

I don't trust the food, etc., in China (too many ongoing scandals) so I generally only eat in restaurants owned by foreigners. This is more expensive but I'd rather play it safe then end up with cancer in a few years!

But if you want to live like a local, you will spend hardly any money.

Although my Chinese is good now, when I first got here I had little to no problems as I was based in Beijing. Beijing has signs in English everywhere, and in general if you use a mix of smiling and pointing and hand signs you can communicate your needs. The problems really only start if you have to do something by phone, but that's when you ask your Chinese friend to help you. They will be delighted to help you.

Shanghai is even more English friendly.

If you decide to move to a city with a small amount of ex-pats, very few people will speak English, but really, pointing and smiling works well. You can also always ask someone who looks like a student to help you - chances are they will have basic English.

Advertisement