Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Ambassador to Libya killed by mob

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ayaan Hirsi Ali was making points about how blacks were looked down on by certain sects of muslims and in general arab muslims would look down on them..

Really.

It's a bit odd how you managed to translate that into "The whole religion revolves,the main themes of it,is ............(3) psychotic hatred for those who are black".

Why have you changed your tune between now and the post you made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Ayaan Hirsi Ali was making points about how blacks were looked down on by certain sects of muslims and in general arab muslims would look down on them..
    Oh ffs.
    Why don't we all just step away from the keyboard, slot a pig under arm and go do a jig at a crossroads as generalisms seem to be the done thing these days. I suppose you eat fish every friday and walk to church every Sunday.

Erm . . . Mods, surely enough now of insulting tosh about Jews and Muslims from posters like this?? She is taking the proverbial.
    This thread is so done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Im not insulting them im making observations..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think the point he's making is that the sweeping, ill-informed generalisations about Muslims/Islam which you are continuously posting are the problem.

No, you're talking insulting absolute, unfounded crap. For example...
    The whole religion revolves,the main themes of it,is ............(3) psychotic hatred for those who are black".

You might explain why you've changed your tune somewhat on that one.

And of course, the classic
    ,im suprised muslims can function with so much hate coursing through their veins for us,its remarkable they get anything done with five rounds on a prayer mat.

• Advertisement

I've "observed" Irish women doing their make-up whilst driving in busy traffic, laughed at them in 'Housewife of the Year' and sat gobsmacked at some Irish women's efforts at parking in car parks and service stations.
    Unfounded? No. Generalisations if I apply to you? Most certainly. Insulting? If I lump you in as a 'typical Irish woman', it would be insulting to you.

Quit generalising on something you obviously have little experience or knowledge of. You have no idea whatsoever of Jews, for example. I find your last comment on Jewish folk as woefully insulting as much as it is simply bullsh. Some rather silly quotes exemplify this. Cherry-picking subjective internet quotes and accompanying them with limp anecdotal lines says more about the poster than about their ill-informed chosen grumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Denerick wrote: »
    Its irrelevant that a couple of private individuals made a film that offends some people. That is completely irrelevant. I fear for the future of humanity if this starts to become an excuse for political violence. Nobody really believes that the film itself caused this, it was manipulated by extremists in order to give them tactical cover and cause an international incident like this.

I always thought politics was the excuse for political violence...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

The whole religion revolves,the main themes of it,is ............(3) psychotic hatred for those who are black".

Aside from the fact that the Moors, probably the most obvious crowd of Muslims in history, were largely black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Muslims have told me there is a pecking order in their society, I think Palestinians were at the top of it though Saudi's must be well up their on account of Mecca. I don't think black africans / north africans figure too high. Some cleric threatened to ban Moroccan women from Mecca on account of some alleged activities they were involved in. Of course all the men are saints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Muslims have told me there is a pecking order in their society, I think Palestinians were at the top of it though Saudi's must be well up their on account of Mecca. I don't think black africans / north africans figure too high. Some cleric threatened to ban Moroccan women from Mecca on account of some alleged activities they were involved in. Of course all the men are saints.

Americans have told me there is a pecking order in their society, I think Whites were at the top of it though Blacks's must be well up their on account of Obama. I don't think Jews / Hispanics figure too high. Some politician threatened to ban Mexican women from California on account of some alleged activities they were involved in. Of course all the men are saints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

Morocco is the famous destination for temporary marriages, ie. Islamic prostitution. Goes to show, being a Muslim doesn't mean you can't behave immorally and get away with it. The bottom line is money talks in the Arab world, with its huge gap between rich and poor.
    ill-informed generalisations about Muslims/Islam which you are continuously posting are the problem.
    Sneaky, I am banned from Islam on boards and given warnings for attacking Islam. Doesn't stop me though.

lagente wrote: »
    Morocco is the (............)though.

Would you care to get back to me on this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80778274&postcount=145

Muslims have told me there is a pecking order in their society
    Which society would this be? or do you think 1.5 billion people share the same 'society'?
    Sneaky, I am banned from Islam on boards and given warnings for attacking Islam. Doesn't stop me though.
    What is "sneaky" about what I said? I don't care what you post or where - my issue with that poster is their complete lack of understanding of the religion and its adherents and their insistence on posting ridiculous generalisations as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Morocco is the famous destination for temporary marriages, ie. Islamic prostitution. Goes to show, being a Muslim doesn't mean you can't behave immorally and get away with it. The bottom line is money talks in the Arab world, with its huge gap between rich and poor.
    /offtopic When I lived in Morocco I met a young british muslim who was there for his second wife. He didn't speak too highly of her at all, he actually came across a lot more backward than the the moroccan muslims. He wanted to get money for her from the DHS but they didn't support polygamous wives.

My point about the pecking order was to aupport the Hirsi ali statement and note there seemed to be a lot of racism displayed against the coloured community in Libya post Gaddaffi. Being kept in cages and literally force fed the old libyan flag seems extreme.
    Whole towns were emptied of coloured people. But I guess it's not racism or ethnic cleansing unless someone with "colourless hands" does it.

To make another generalisation, worldwide the typical demonstrations since the ambasssador was killed were in favour of his killing, an innocent man in no way connected with the stupid film. Sure there have been a few peaceful demonstrations, and even some condemning the killing of innocents. But by and large seems to be great support for it. Look at the demonstrations in OZ, with slogans such as "behead those who insult Islam." Pictures of Osama (killed 3500+ innocents) , toddlers photographed holding the hate speech, and of course the fact that the ambassador was killed on sept 11, really shows an unrepentent disrepespectful islamic world. There's something seriously wrong when the guys are getting fired up by immams on fridays to go out and attack innocent people.

Ultimately the US was highly naive to drop a poorly defended consulate into a country which supplied many AQ fighters against them in Iraq. West and Islam seems condemned to make the same mistakes over and over.

Muslims have told me there is a pecking order in their society, I think Palestinians were at the top of it though Saudi's must be well up their on account of Mecca

Palestinians are on or around the top of this alleged hierarchy of the muslim world (of which your perception seems to limit itself to the Middle East), are they?
    How do you think they sit in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt? Top of the ladder? Indonesia or Malaysia?
    I think if you look outside these anecdotes, you'll find things very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Which society would this be? or do you think 1.5 billion people share the same 'society'?

There certainly are pan Islamic tropes and trends. Perhaps the most obvious one is the willingness to support, say, the 7/7 bombings by reference to actions in the Middle East. Perhaps a better way of putting it is shared politics, far from monolithic but certainly widespread and common.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Palestinians are on or around the top of this alleged hierarchy of the muslim world (of which your perception seems to limit itself to the Middle East), are they?
    How do you think they sit in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt? Top of the ladder? Indonesia or Malaysia?
    I think if you look outside these anecdotes, you'll find things very different.

Racism is endemic in the Arab world in particular, however to say the Palestinians are at 'the top' of the pecking order is crazy - they are often treated worse in the Arab countries they flee to than by the lands they are forced to leave.

SamHarris wrote: »
    Racism is endemic in the Arab world in particular, however to say the Palestinians are at 'the top' of the pecking order is crazy - they are often treated worse in the Arab countries they flee to than by the lands they are forced to leave.
    Not "in particular" but just as evident as in countries like Ireland etc. Palestinians were and still are seen to be held in fairly low esteem in certain countries such as those I listed.

I'll also add that the 'Muslim World' does not equate to 'The Arab World'. Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, Malaysia and Bangladesh are not Arabic.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Not "in particular" but just as evident as in countries like Ireland etc. Palestinians were and still are seen to be held in fairly low esteem in certain countries such as those I listed.

I'll also add that the 'Muslim World' does not equate to 'The Arab World'. Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, Malaysia and Bangladesh are not Arabic.

No, orders of magnitude more than Ireland or any Western country - leaving aside anecdotle evidence such as Iraqi insurgents waiting for US patrols with black troops to attack or the relative wage and treatment of even indigenous minorities such as the Bedhouin, or the treatment of south east Asians upon arrival in the wealthier Gulf states, even ignoring all that simple polls tell a story of the mindset prevailant in these countries. http://www.pewglobal.org/2006/06/22/i-muslims-and-the-west-how-each-sees-the-other/

Yes it is clear that there is a disturbing anti-Muslim trend in the West, but to even imply it is begining to have parity with the anti-West/Jew/enemy de jour in Muslim societies and the problems it causes is dishonest to say the least.

Its telling that if you google 'arabs polled on race' you get a heap of stories of anti-Arabism but none about their own enormous issues. Just like in this thread the greater narrative is deflected from a bunch of people killing an ambassador over a movie to 'in the name of god, dont point out they are more prone to this than other communities.' the cowardice is pervasisve, reading the Indepednant you would think it was the man who made the movie that killed the ambassador.

The Arab 'world' is the heart of the Islamic one, there is alot of overlap and if you notice a trend in one it often continues into the other.

Obviously saying any particular trait is true for 1.6 billion people or even across all the sects of Islam is, at best, so incredibly unlikely and difficult to prove the criticism becomes vacuos.

However the amount that this prevents all criticism, and re routes debate, of the very real problems in entire sects within Islam is an issue people are just going to have to deal with.

When dealing in sociological terms it is permited however not to have to say in every second sentance 'but most Muslims are not violent'. Lets just take that as a give and move the hell on.

Who do you think you are to call me "dishonest"?? Sanctimoniously sitting behind an anonymous moniker and purporting to display some form of retroactively dug-up 'expertise' while blurting generalism after generalism doesn't do much for your pro-agendaic argument. I couldn't give a stuff if you wish to continue lumping swathes of demographs as one. It changes nothing of my own experiences.
    Unbelievable. Move on indeed.

• Advertisement

No, orders of magnitude more than Ireland or any Western country - leaving aside anecdotle evidence such as Iraqi insurgents waiting for US patrols with black troops to attack.... .

...such a juicy one that you couldn't not include it, despite its anecdotal nature.
    or the relative wage and treatment of even indigenous minorities such as the Bedhouin, or the treatment of south east Asians upon arrival in the wealthier Gulf states, .

Discrimination against minorities? Immigrants getting the shitty end of the stick? Truly these Arabs are unique amongst men.

When dealing in sociological terms it is permited however not to have to say in every second sentance 'but most Muslims are not violent'. Lets just take that as a give and move the hell on.
    Part of "dealing in sociological terms" is to challenge gross generalisations and stereotypes and the adherence to dominant narratives and discourses, so it is necessary to point these out where they occur.

Part of "dealing in sociological terms" is to challenge gross generalisations and stereotypes and the adherence to dominant narratives and discourses, so it is necessary to point these out where they occur.

The most important aspect of all this is to challenge the idea that Muslims are somehow wholly homogenous and working in concert. The idea that the Muslim world and Muslims in general think and act as one is endemic in most western people's prejudices. They are people by and large, just people, and should be treated as such. Like all people they have their flaws and their virtues, but somehow a rabid intolerance manages to take hold whenever a terrible thing happens in a Muslim country, as if it somehow is a sign of the medieval backwardness of these societies. Yet when it is pointed out that riots, rapes and murders are every bit as frequent in the affluent west, people seem to engage in a common cognitive dissonance. There isn't a clash of civilisations, merely a clash of demagogues, the victor being he who riles up the most amount of people by stroking their prejudicial erogenous zones. At times like these, it is vital that reasonable people question and challenge such mindlessness, designed as it is to manipulate and stupefy simpler minds.

Across Europe a dangerous populism has taken hold. There is a dark heart to European populism, perhaps we need another holocaust to remind us of the importance of thinking in proportion and treating people as individuals, not as irreconcilable tribes and enemies.

The idea that the Muslim world and Muslims in general think and act as one is endemic in most western people's prejudices.
    Yep, no objections here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Across Europe a dangerous populism has taken hold. There is a dark heart to European populism, perhaps we need another holocaust to remind us of the importance of thinking in proportion and treating people as individuals, not as irreconcilable tribes and enemies.

Perhaps we just need one of our old posts to remind us of the importance of thinking in proportion and treating people as individuals huh ;)

America is a nation in economic, scientific and intellectual decline. Its population are increasingly gullible and are struggling to maintain even basic math and literacy standard. They are the authors of their own destruction. What fascinates me is that so many of them maintain a pathetic cock sure attitude about their glorious future.

Is this is a sure sign of America's decline? They have too many people who will lap up this extremist nonsense

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Perhaps we just need one of our old posts to remind us of the importance of thinking in proportion and treating people as individuals huh ;)

1: Really creepy you would go through my post history and regurgitate something I don't remember posting.

2. So what? I was broadly talking about the political system and how its democratic institutions respond to demagogues spouting hatred and ignorance. America is in a state of material and intellectual decline, its literacy standards are falling, its citizenry basic knowledge of world affairs is often dangerously tenuous - empirical evidence backs this up through numerous surveys. The economic figures attest to its growing inequalities and its declining and/or stagnant economic output, its deindustrialisation, its over-reliance on service industry jobs which often underemploy or underpay people, its housing market, its various stock market bubbles, its ailing infrastructure, ad nauesum. This is rather different to saying something like 'Muslims are a violent race' (sic), or 'Muslims are plotting to overthrow the west', as if they are one uniform entity behaving as members of one singular hive mind.

3. Again, really really creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

1: Really creepy you would go through my post history and regurgitate something I don't remember posting.

2. So what? I was broadly talking about the political system and how its democratic institutions respond to demagogues spouting hatred and ignorance.

3. Again, really really creepy.

Relax, nothing against you personally, it took 5 seconds, I just find it amusing we sit getting all preachy about treating people as individuals... except of course if they vote Republican or whomever our favorite focus-group is.

Anyway, back on topic.. apart from the Satanic Verses, I can't for the life of me remember any similar Islamic outrage over depictions of or references to Mohammed pre-2003.. it seems to be a recent phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

2. So what? I was broadly talking about the political system and how its democratic institutions respond to demagogues spouting hatred and ignorance. America is in a state of material and intellectual decline, its literacy standards are falling, its citizenry basic knowledge of world affairs is often dangerously tenuous - empirical evidence backs this up through numerous surveys. The economic figures attest to its growing inequalities and its declining and/or stagnant economic output, its deindustrialisation, its over-reliance on service industry jobs which often underemploy or underpay people, its housing market, its various stock market bubbles, its ailing infrastructure, ad nauesum.

Crikey Denerick,leave the Izlamik issue aside for a second and just look at how closely your description matches the Ould Sod and it's people.

To a T !!!

We have,over a long period forged our own "Unique Relationship" with all things American,particularly post Telefis Eireann.....

It has,in some ways,been to teach the beastly Brits a lesson,but one wonders if the Germans,French and Italians have embraced Americana equally as tightly ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

The most important aspect of all this is to challenge the idea that Muslims are somehow wholly homogenous and working in concert.

I would've thought the most important aspect in all this is to condemn the killing and violence and call for some respect for life to be shown by the people who are demanding respect for their religion.

As for people thinking all Muslims are the same, the people who think or argue this are a small minority and to paint anyone with concerns about Islam as such is being guilty of the generalisations you accuse others of. There is a growing problem of fundamentalism in Islam. There has been thousands marching and demonstrating over this and various flaws points of violence. There have been official calls for censure and censorship. Pointing this out is as much saying that all Muslims have a problem as saying all Irish have a problem with alcohol if you point out a problem with alcohol in Irish society.

People are dying over this. Offence or religious defence are not excuses, they are in themselves an abuse of the religion.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ...such a juicy one that you couldn't not include it, despite its anecdotal nature.

Sure.

Nodin wrote: »
    Discrimination against minorities? Immigrants getting the shitty end of the stick? Truly these Arabs are unique amongst men.

Didnt say they were special, pointed out the levels of rascism, accordingto actual evidence such as polling, is far higher in their societies than ours, so the claim it is similiar is just not true.

Advertisement