Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knights Templar Graveyard Lacken Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Why, do many people hang around graveyards for the craic..?

No, but maybe is more knew about it some of these old Graveyards would be better maintained.

A rather frightening description of the Graveyard from the Waterford News dated the 11th of February 1870 "I also visited Kilbarry; I cannot find words to describe this church yard. It is a mass of rotting flesh. The dead are packed in layers, over each other, and not sufficient clay to cover them."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A rather frightening description of the Graveyard from the Waterford News dated the 11th of February 1870 "I also visited Kilbarry; I cannot find words to describe this church yard. It is a mass of rotting flesh. The dead are packed in layers, over each other, and not sufficient clay to cover them."

now thats how you write lyrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Sounds like a review of the foundry. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

In Dundrum in Tipperary they have a CE scheme where people who are out of work put their skills to good use. They maintain the graveyards, communal grass, and even sanded and painted all the local church pews. Called the Marl Bog CE scheme. That's what's needed for the local graveyards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There's an old graveyard as you drive towards the ferry out to Waterford castle. It's walled and gated so it's hard to access. Never tried to get inside, just walked by. I wonder was one of those large houses a monastery or convent long ago and it belonged to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Whereabouts are you talking on the way to the castle? Never heard of anything
    down there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I first heard of this graveyard in a post from Humans of the Deise , if I'm remembering rightly, on Facebook about a year ago, and still haven't gone for a look. Must make the effort now, thanks to the poster who put up the photos, it looks fascinating :)

73Cat wrote: »
    I first heard of this graveyard in a post from Humans of the Deise , if I'm remembering rightly, on Facebook about a year ago, and still haven't gone for a look. Must make the effort now, thanks to the poster who put up the photos, it looks fascinating :)

I went out there for the the first time yesterday.Its a rather odd sort of Graveyard. Quite eerie too. The landscape is is very uneven due to over burial in the site, in fact the sanitary authority closed it down in the 1870s due over burial. In 1879, a small coffin was lowered over the wall of the cemetery with ropes. The small coffin was found inside the cemetery and had still-born child in it due the fact the family could not afford to bury their child. Worth visiting, its very unique.

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Archaeology/Guidance_Historic_Graveyards.pdf - A very important and useful document for those who want to find out more a the preservation of historical graveyards in Ireland. 64 pages long but worth reading.

What's more useful is that many of the examples included are actually from County Waterford.

• Advertisement

Knockeen graveyard is pretty special too, has a dolmen on the edge of the graveyard wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUF2uMthH4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soA8eMgKCUI

This is pretty cool to, surprised there has not been more talk about it. Looks like the old urban myth of tunnels beneath Waterford city has some fact in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BBM77 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUF2uMthH4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soA8eMgKCUI

This is pretty cool to, surprised there has not been more talk about it. Looks like the old urban myth of tunnels beneath Waterford city has some fact in it.

Any idea where this tunnel is?
    The videos look a wee bit suspicious TBH ...... no flash light available when going into a tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Any idea where this tunnel is?
    The videos look a wee bit suspicious TBH ...... no flash light available when going into a tunnel?

Well it’s the Waterford History Group that posted it on their Facebook page and the story was in the News and Star so it seems genuine. They have not released the location for safety reasons. Apparently they were discovered during prep investigations for the urban renewal works about to start in the city. Also, there was another such tunnel found under Michael St once when sewer works where being carried out about ten years ago.

My father used to work for the council, he told me there's a tunnel under the river suir He also told me where it is and that the entrance is blocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dish the dirt for feck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

While I worked in the Applemarket area years back 1995 / 1996 I remember just outside the doors of the old News & Star office they were digging down can't remember what they were doing there was a tunnel going all the way nearly up the street I can remember being amazed would like to see more like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Looks an interesting place, good video and pictures.

Will be interesting to to see what happens with the tunnels too

Kill St Lawrence Graveyard is no longer accessible to members of the Public. Front Gate it locked. Its rather sad that this graveyard has been left overgown and in a state of disrepair. Doesn't look like there will be anything done there anytime soon either.

Advertisement