Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knights Templar Graveyard Lacken Road

Options
  • 11-09-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey guys was at this graveyard this evening. Its accessible through the industrial park. Was wondering does anyone have any information regarding it? Find it amazing that it is in such a state of ruin for something that's centuries old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

My grandad used to own the land around it. I was renovated about a decade ago and left to ruin afterward. My ancestors are buried there 1700-1800's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Are you talking about the graveyard behind the Yellow House?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 queev1988

Its a bit past the Yellow House, down that slip road and past the dump entrance. Some of the headstones inscriptions were so faded. Alot of celtic art and symbols were present on some tombs..very eery place and so hidden away!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

A lot are famine headstones, particularly my ancestors (1 is a family of about 8-9 kids from the 1840's) but many are from before.

There is another out the airport road at the roundabout. These really should be looked after better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

queev1988 wrote: »
    Its a bit past the Yellow House, down that slip road and past the dump entrance. Some of the headstones inscriptions were so faded. Alot of celtic art and symbols were present on some tombs..very eery place and so hidden away!

I remember my dad bringing me down there and the headstones were fantastic when it came to celtic art.

Unfortunately I think that graveyard has been vandalised.

• Advertisement

Was there at 9pm this evening..spooky out!Heard it was the burial place of some Knights of Templars?Anyone have any unusual stories or experiences of the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

true, templars hall derived its name from it

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Kilbarry graveyard its known as, the table tomb inside the entrance with the coat of arms is to the Fitzgerald family of Kingsmeadow, its dated 1598. Last monument is dated 1877.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

Maybe we can petition the council to look after it or get onto Deise Am to hound them. It is people's place of rest and it is also history of our city so it should be looked after, they can look after a big rusty crane on the quay so they should do work on the graveyard. I know Carey builders did work on the walls as they built all around it.

Completely agree,and it wouldnt take a hell of alot to even tidy it up!Seems like such a shame to see it in a state of ruins..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Its such a shame that little graveyard is so run down i remember as a kid going down there and sh*tting myself going in there as the stories we were told about it frightened the bejayus out us. When i was a kid it was like it was in the middle of no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When a burial ground gets beyond a certain age I tend to think they should be left to nature. But maybe that's just my love of Gothic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

For anyone interested in the history of the Templars in Ireland check out "The Irish Crusade" by Niall Byrne. Its a highly detailed work that looks at the extensive templar presence in the South East of Ireland.

The Templars owned several farms, hospitals, and churches just in Waterford and also had huge holdings in other parts of the country.

In relation to the Graveyard it is sad to see it as it is but like lots of other historical sites there is not the interest or resources within the City Council to maintain it.

Books like the De Vinci code and films like Empire of Heaven have re-ignited interest in the crusader orders. Although it is a very niche market im sure that there are people that would love to visit sites in Ireland that relate to the crusades.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,087 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

im doing Tourism in College at the moment and i think restoring this graveyard mite make a good project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

There were a load of run down graveyards near my parents house at home. A few people got together and cleared them all up themselves. Once the word got around, they had 20-30 people a night helping out to get them all cleared up. It doesnt cost a lot if anything to do it. It now takes 1 person to keep each one maintained by cutting the grass every now and then.

I dont see how a few people interested from here couldnt get together and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I think that it has the potential for a good project, it may not be as straightforward as people think though. The Heritage council published a guide for graveyards its well worth a look.

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Archaeology/ChurchGrave_Poster.pdf

Permission would have to be sought from City Council and they would probably want a conservation plan. Their concern would be that the wrong methods or techniques would be used that might end up damaging the site.

However if you got past the red tape it would provide a nice project and once the initial work was done would need little maintainence.

Amazing how one post can change so much!Power of the web!Yup would make a great project!tbh not much has to be done with the place:)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Sorry to bring up an old thread but was anything done with it after?
    Is it still accessible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am looking for directions to this Graveyard., Is there anybody who can give me specific directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Some historical info on Knights Templar
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanjmurphy/irhismys/templars.htm
    They were present in both Crooke (near Passage East) and Lacken Road areas.
    Another link for background
    http://www.irishmasonichistory.com/the-knights-templar-and-ireland.html

• Advertisement

Someone get some pics if they find it. Sounds cool assassins creed like lol

The graveyard at Kill St Lawrence was also owned by Templars of Kilbarry at one point.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Someone get some pics if they find it. Sounds cool assassins creed like lol

I'm out here now, I've a video and some pics I'll upload shortly

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Its fairly easy to access, I drove down past the entrance to the dump and kept going to where the road stops, there is a break in the railings and its just across one field. Id imagine its easily accessible from that adjoining business park just off lacken wood also.

The graveyard itself is in a desperate state and all bar one or two headstones/tombstones are legible.

CC3936C7-2EF8-450D-99EF-DFE095058D72_zpsr9ovynqs.jpg

E63AF22D-A896-4233-A6FF-EB986635610C_zpskn5ethpj.jpg

E80D602F-C8A4-46EF-9A51-43E6701DA7FA_zpsosa4vsro.jpg

8D9ABA91-957A-453D-BEB8-91077876DB64_zpsfejk5mag.jpg

7571E10C-8D7C-4024-87F7-993D89FDA797_zpsqxwb9z5d.jpg

276AAE0B-874B-4762-92E4-53155BC01FBC_zpskivzuhzt.jpg

It appears someone has been doing some maintenance there ....... I notice some tree branches cut and also some of the top of the surrounding wall seems to have been protected by plaster or such.

Thanks for the video & pics. ;)

Ballygunner temple Cemetery is another interesting Cemetery also in need of repair.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Its fairly easy to access, I drove down past the entrance to the dump and kept going to where the road stops, there is a break in the railings and its just across one field. Id imagine its easily accessible from that adjoining business park just off lacken wood also.

The graveyard itself is in a desperate state and all bar one or two headstones/tombstones are legible.

CC3936C7-2EF8-450D-99EF-DFE095058D72_zpsr9ovynqs.jpg

E63AF22D-A896-4233-A6FF-EB986635610C_zpskn5ethpj.jpg

E80D602F-C8A4-46EF-9A51-43E6701DA7FA_zpsosa4vsro.jpg

8D9ABA91-957A-453D-BEB8-91077876DB64_zpsfejk5mag.jpg

7571E10C-8D7C-4024-87F7-993D89FDA797_zpsqxwb9z5d.jpg

276AAE0B-874B-4762-92E4-53155BC01FBC_zpskivzuhzt.jpg

thanks for the pics. shame its not known well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    thanks for the pics. shame its not known well enough

Why, do many people hang around graveyards for the craic..?

Why, do many people hang around graveyards for the craic..?

By the time we get to use one we will be long past havin' a bit of 'craic' ...... ;)

• Advertisement

There are many such sites as these across the county and many in urgent need of repair. I was at Ballgunner Temple Cemtery recenty (Dates from the 17th century) It was in a sad state of disrepair with sombody from the Waterford History group alleging that there are vandals trying to break into some of the tombs.

Ballygunner Temple Cemtery has a Church of Ireland Church at ease- which was a small church for parishoners who could not make the journey to their local Diocesan church.

A video of Ballgunner Temple Cemtery.

Advertisement