Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we begin maybe possibly thinking about another VOAT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

We could argue on the songs to choose for ages. We could just pick a "Now That's What I Call Music" CD and Pickarooney could dish out story titles based on that. They go up to 82 so far. Any of those CDs would do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was at the Tate Modern in July and they had a Damien Hirst installation, I found it interesting that he named a series of medicine cabinet pieces after tracks on Never Mind the B*llocks.

Some of his other pieces have really evocative names that could make for a good VOAT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Hirst#Artworks

If pika is busy, I don't mind running it (whatever the theme we decide to vary on).

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

How about we pick a character from a Tarantino film (or a scorsese, copppola, speilberg any director you think would suit) and write a story about that character, but obviously something completely original?

Or would it turn out too fan boy?

Maybe - we have to write a story through the eyes of a character who we know the age, profession and sex of? You could have it numbered 1-20 and we pick a number and then the age, profession and sex is sent to us by PM?

We could use ANgela Carter for inspiration and take a fairy tale and use the latent sex and violence in that tale to make a dark disturbing tale like this collection of short stories she did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bloody_Chamber

Or maybe the challange could be to write a Roald Dahl themed short story for kids kind of gruesome and disgusting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What about fifty shades of grey? Each person writes a story about a different shade of grey? It doesn't necessarily have to be smutty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm thinking of a selection from the songs of Frank Zappa.

• Advertisement

Good luck, whoever gets 'Bongo Fury'!

Bongo, the forgotten Furey brother with his African drum fixation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fury in Congo at Um Bongo shortage

All right, in the absence of any consensus, it will be Zappathon. I'll get rid of any unwriteable ones from the list when I'm doling them out.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Count me in, so.

Cant wait to read about cock suckers ball.

• Advertisement

Ok, so for the Newbies here how exactly does this thingy work? :)

Jernal wrote: »
    Ok, so for the Newbies here how exactly does this thingy work? :)

Get yourself over to the thread that's here, and read the rules at the beginning. If you like what you see, post a reply and Pickarooney will send you a song title. Let inspiration strike, write your story, and PM it to Pickarooney before the closing date.

After the closing date, all the stories are posted in a new thread by Pickarooney and, without knowing the authors, people read the stories and vote for their favourites. The winner is the one that gets the most votes!

I'm normally all about winning, but it truly is the taking part that counts with these competitions. You get loads of feedback on your story which is great, and it's interesting to see where people go with the story title they received. It's all a bit of craic at the end of the day.

Get yourself over to the thread that's here, and read the rules at the beginning. If you like what you see, post a reply and Pickarooney will send you a song title. Let inspiration strike, write your story, and PM it to Pickarooney before the closing date.

After the closing date, all the stories are posted in a new thread by Pickarooney and, without knowing the authors, people read the stories and vote for their favourites. The winner is the one that gets the most votes!

I'm normally all about winning, but it truly is the taking part that counts with these competitions. You get loads of feedback on your story which is great, and it's interesting to see where people go with the story title they received. It's all a bit of craic at the end of the day.

Well it'll be a good warmer for the Nanowrimo so yeah. I'll hop over there. (Kind of comforted by the thought of anonymous feedback. :o First piece attempt at writing in a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jernal wrote: »
    Well it'll be a good warmer for the Nanowrimo so yeah. I'll hop over there. (Kind of comforted by the thought of anonymous feedback. :o First piece attempt at writing in a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.)

be grand sure
    I wrote mine last min last time and it wasn't very good

Advertisement