Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we begin maybe possibly thinking about another VOAT?

Options
  • 11-09-2012 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

You know, in theory. And maaaaybe after a few weeks it can come to pass. Just an idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what's your idea for a theme

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oh we can definitely begin thinking. Think of something awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a VOAT?

(Starts to imagine a Stoat/Vole Hybrid running around the forum, biting people on the legs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Oh we can definitely begin thinking. Think of something awesome though.

You heard him! The theme is "Something Awesome." Get writing, people!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Antilles wrote: »
    You heard him! The theme is "Something Awesome." Get writing, people!

I suppose it's not too early to start my autobiography

• Advertisement

I don't suppose you have ever thought it was too early to start anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Rubecula wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what you are talking about. What is a VOAT?

(Starts to imagine a Stoat/Vole Hybrid running around the forum, biting people on the legs)

I think IT is this: everyone writes a <=6000 word story . . . sounds awesome!

I don't suppose you have ever thought it was too early to start anything.

Well I wouldn't want to start my pension yet

I actually really like the idea myself. The theme could be "The Voat" and everyone has to decide what a voat is and write a story about that.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't want to start my pension yet

Spooky. My boss just this minute handed me a brochure outlining my pension plan options.

• Advertisement

Perhaps folks could write a story based around their nickname in here. NOT about themselves ... but a story based on the nickname.

EG. for me the story would be about rubecula and Erithacus rubecula is the proper name for the European robin. So my story would be about a robin.

Bluewolf could write a story regarding a wolf that had an unfortunate accident with a blueberry pie? :pac:

Heaven knows what Pickarooney could write about... but that is a choice for Pickarooney to make.

..and so on.

Is that a good idea or a bad one?

And toasterspark could write about a park full of toasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mine would be about an ecstasy dealer? Involved in a mystery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

And I could write about the chain of islands which form the greater part of the West Indies!!!

...or not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Perhaps folks could write a story based around their nickname in here. NOT about themselves ... but a story based on the nickname.

Is that a good idea or a bad one?

It is a good idea but the point of VOAT is that everybody writes on the same theme while that would have us all on different themes. It would be a sort of Variation on a VOAT.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

And toasterspark could write about a park full of toasters?

This came up in the Off-Topic thread before. Here is a humorous picture I prepared earlier...

http://i.imgur.com/kaw2a.jpg

Okay, I have two ideas for the VOAT.

1] We take a show (say, the show I just watched, Revenge) and we use the episode titles as our VOAT topics. The titles of the Revenge episodes are all simplistic, like Betrayal, Doubt, Justice and Grief. Perhaps too broad.

2] My favourite idea. We take a music album (say, Florence and the Machine's Ceremonials) and we each take a song name as our inspiration for our story. Could be fun, and pretty varied!

we could take tarot cards? the fool, the sun, the moon, king, queen etc?
    king, queen, cavalier and jack, followed by numerals 10 down to 1. The trumps rank as follows: The Angel (20—although it only bears the second-highest number, it is nonetheless the highest), the World (21), the Sun (19), the Moon (18), the Star (17), the Tower (16), the Devil (15), Temperance (14), Death (13), the Hanged Man (12), Strength (11), the Wheel of Fortune (10), the Hermit (9), Justice (8), the Chariot (7), the Lovers (6), the Pope (5), the Emperor (4), the Empress (3), the Popess (2) and the Bagatto (1). There is also the Fool (Matto).

bluewolf wrote: »
    we could take tarot cards? the fool, the sun, the moon, king, queen etc?
    king, queen, cavalier and jack, followed by numerals 10 down to 1. The trumps rank as follows: The Angel (20—although it only bears the second-highest number, it is nonetheless the highest), the World (21), the Sun (19), the Moon (18), the Star (17), the Tower (16), the Devil (15), Temperance (14), Death (13), the Hanged Man (12), Strength (11), the Wheel of Fortune (10), the Hermit (9), Justice (8), the Chariot (7), the Lovers (6), the Pope (5), the Emperor (4), the Empress (3), the Popess (2) and the Bagatto (1). There is also the Fool (Matto).

We did that before, didn't we? When we had big VOAT head-to-head battles.

This came up in the Off-Topic thread before. Here is a humorous picture I prepared earlier...

http://i.imgur.com/kaw2a.jpg

Okay, I have two ideas for the VOAT.

1] We take a show (say, the show I just watched, Revenge) and we use the episode titles as our VOAT topics. The titles of the Revenge episodes are all simplistic, like Betrayal, Doubt, Justice and Grief. Perhaps too broad.

2] My favourite idea. We take a music album (say, Florence and the Machine's Ceremonials) and we each take a song name as our inspiration for our story. Could be fun, and pretty varied!

I read your nick as Toaster Spark not toasters Park.. :o Sorry

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2010/01/the-exploding-toaster-conspiracy-italy-claims-prank-closes-case-ends-research/

We did that before, didn't we? When we had big VOAT head-to-head battles.

did we? i forgot :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pink Floyd Album titles?

The Delicate Sound of Thunder
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Pulse
    Relics
    Obscured by Clouds

etc...

That doesn't sound too bad actually, though how many have they released altogether?

No, no, my name is meant to read like that! I knew I should have capitalised the second S to make it more obvious! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That doesn't sound too bad actually, though how many have they released altogether?

About twenty, at a guess. We could also branch out into song titles

Well my original idea was to use the song titles in a specific album or albums. Using the album titles would be much more hassle!

Courtesy: Wikipedia

Studio albums Total 14 albums.

If you click a particular album link, you can get the track list.

I hope I am not being too presumptious on this thread, but we need to gauge response as to who wants to write a story based on Pink Floyd tracks or albums:

If there are <= 14 "thanks" then it will be based on albums?

If there area >14, then it will be based on tracks?

Studio albums
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
    1."Astronomy Domine" Barrett and Richard Wright 4:12
    2."Lucifer Sam" Barrett 3:07
    3."Matilda Mother" Wright and Barrett 3:08
    4."Flaming" Barrett 2:46
    5."Pow R. Toc H." (Barrett, Roger Waters, Wright, Nick Mason) wordless vocals by Barrett and Waters 4:26
    6."Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" (Waters)

A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
    1. "Let There Be More Light" Roger Waters, Richard Wright, David Gilmour, Waters, 5:38
    2. "Remember a Day" Wright, Wright, 4:33
    3. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" Waters, Waters, 5:28
    4. "Corporal Clegg" Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Nick Mason, 4:13
    5. "A Saucerful of Secrets" I. "Something Else"
    II. "Syncopated Pandemonium"
    III. "Storm Signal"
    IV. "Celestial Voices" Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason 11:52
    6. "See-Saw" Wright, Wright, 4:36
    7. "Jugband Blues" Syd Barrett, Barrett, 3:00

Soundtrack from the Film More (1969)
    1."Cirrus Minor" Waters5:18
    2."The Nile Song" Waters3:26
    3."Crying Song" Waters3:33
    4."Up the Khyber" (instrumental)Mason, Wright2:12
    5."Green Is the Colour" Waters2:58
    6."Cymbaline" Waters4:50
    7."Party Sequence" (instrumental)Waters, Wright, Gilmour, Mason1:07

Ummagumma (studio and live, 1969)

Atom Heart Mother (1970)

Meddle (1971)

Obscured by Clouds (1972)

The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Wish You Were Here (1975)

Animals (1977)

The Wall (1979)

The Final Cut (1983)

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)

The Division Bell (1994)

Weebley, do you mind keeping the YouTube spam to your own thread?

Thanks.

Weebley, do you mind keeping the YouTube spam to your own thread?

Thanks.

ok, sorry . . .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So is this going to happen or woat?

I dont mind what the theme is, tbh. Just give me one and Ill write something.

Advertisement