Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Rock Forum Feedback Part II

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

If that's the case, why didn't you post in R&M before?

I'm not entirely sure, but it always seemed more metal than rock to me :confused: and not to my tastes. I like a particular type of music and with the CR forum I can read and exchange with others about it without having to search for it.

I am curious to know why anyone takes umbrage at the existence of the CR forum - if it is taking business from another forum then the other forum should perhaps ask why? But at the end of the day they are all sub fora of a bigger discussion subject, so perhaps that ought to be where the numbers are assessed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Honestly, who gives a swinging mickey if there is an extra forum created. So what if there is crossover between the two?

No one gives a hoot that humanities and anthropology, sociology and culture are almost the same thing.

The people whinging smacks of being afraid that their personal fiefdom might be usurped by a new popular forum.

People need to just get on with life and not stress themselves out over these little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Aren't opinions what discussion boards thrive on? I think I read that somewhere, can't quite remember where...

Funny how whingers are almost always those with a different opinion to your own.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

yekahS wrote: »
    Honestly, who gives a swinging mickey if there is an extra forum created. So what if there is crossover between the two?

No one gives a hoot that humanities and anthropology, sociology and culture are almost the same thing.

The people whinging smacks of being afraid that their personal fiefdom might be usurped by a new popular forum.

People need to just get on with life and not stress themselves out over these little things.
    Nobody is particularly upset, it's just odd that they suddenly granted the request with no active thread about it. I've seen some good original ideas for fora shot down, yet this one is suddenly granted out of the blue? This thread is trying to answer why that happened.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Nobody is particularly upset, it's just odd that they suddenly granted the request with no active thread about it. I've seen some good original ideas for fora shot down, yet this one is suddenly granted out of the blue? This thread is trying to answer why that happened.

LoLth answered that here I think?

But I suppose fair enough, maybe people are a little annoyed that this didn't go down the appropriate channels, but to be honest, not sure why anyone is really that bothered. The forum seems to fit into a nice little niche, and is full of posters that don't seem to post in R&M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

yekahS, my main problem with it being created is because it's creation didn't follow the usual procedure, but actually went against it. From how CR was created, it seems like any mod who annoys admins enough will get what they want regardless of the general consensus.

Malice pointed out in the OP that despite him being the CMod of Music, he wasn't asked or consulted about it's creation. Also, the forum request was put forward and rejected 3 times. It doesn't make any sense nor does it seem fair that a moderator who doesn't mod anything in a certain category can get a forum created without consideration for the above.

So are you suggesting the creation of CR was as a vanity forum for someone who campaigned for its inception?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mitosis wrote: »
    So are you suggesting the creation of CR was as a vanity forum for the mod who campaigned for its inception?
    The cursor hovered over the "report post" symbol before I decided to put my reaction before everybody (well, everybody who cares to follow this debate).

LordChessington said nothing that could reasonably be interpreted in that way, and your question, if entertained, would lead to a discussion on a matter of principle being converted into discussion of individual members of boards.

Boards has set up various procedures for dealing with things. If those procedures are not followed, it makes a nonsense of the idea that boards is run in an accessible and transparent way. There is a perception created of "insiders" being treated differently.

The cursor hovered over the "report post" symbol before I decided to put my reaction before everybody (well, everybody who cares to follow this debate).

LordChessington said nothing that could reasonably be interpreted in that way, and your question, if entertained, would lead to a discussion on a matter of principle being converted into discussion of individual members of boards.

Boards has set up various procedures for dealing with things. If those procedures are not followed, it makes a nonsense of the idea that boards is run in an accessible and transparent way. There is a perception created of "insiders" being treated differently.

So maybe I misinterpreted this?
    From how CR was created, it seems like any mod who annoys admins enough will get what they want regardless of the general consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mitosis wrote: »
    So maybe I misinterpreted this?
    Yes.

You made it personal by describing it as a vanity forum for a particular mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nobody is particularly upset,

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Malice pointed out in the OP that despite him being the CMod of Music, he wasn't asked or consulted about it's creation.

Do catmod have to be consulted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I would have thought that it would just be courtesy (for want of a better term) that cmod`s input would be requested for any new forum created under a given category as any additional forums may create additional work like with potential DRP threads.

I have no issue,not that it matters a hoot if I did anyway,with a separate CR forum but I think the way it's been set up has been fundamentally flawed which Im guessing is what Malice`s bone of contention is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The Classic Rock forum has been talked about for a very long time on boards, and there were many arguments pro and con. It has nearly always a 50-50 decision that very marginally went the other way for years, but with the growth of the site the admins recently made a decision to review the previous decision. PMs were sent out requesting feedback on the idea and, once taken into account the admins decided that on balance, there could well be an audience for a classic rock forum.

We understand that some users, mods and Cmods don't agree with the decision to create the forum, but the decision was taken in light of all arguments for and against creation and like many decisions on large community sites there will always be someone who disagrees with it - as is their right. We stand by the decision to create the forum.

As for concerns raised over teh classic rock forum killing the Rock and Metal forum:

some quick stats courtesy of the boards.ie staff:
    The classic Rock forum was created on the 25th of August:

Stats for the Rock and Metal forum for the year leading up to the 25/08/12
    Threads in year preceding the 25th of August: 497, for an average of 1.36 threads/day
    Posts in the year preceding the 25th of August: 17,561 for an average of 48.11 posts/day

Since the creation of the classic Rock forum:
    Threads: 50 for an average of 1.61 threads/day

obviously a longer run will give more telling data but from the month so far new threads in Rock and Metal have gone UP on average and there has only been a slight dip in post counts not all of which could be attributed to the classic rock forum.

for completion's sake some stats on the classic rock forum in its first month of operation:
    38 threads (1.26 threads/day)
    552 posts (18.4 posts/day)

these stats will be reviewed nearer to the end of the 6 month probationary period but for now, its looking like two quite viable communities that may actually increase each other's traffic in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't see why there is so much beef over the creation of this forum in particular. It seems that there is an annoyance that dr.bollocko requested it iniatially years ago and now suddenly the forum has appeared, which has posters thinking dr.bollocko somehow used his 'clout' as a CMod to pull strings. Is that it?

If it was just a regular user that initially requested the forum, would there be so much resistance now? I doubt it.
    The creation or rejection of forums doesn't seem to come down to naysayers in the community as it is. For instance, I requested Relationships and Dieting as separate forums ages ago, and Relationships again, both rejected at the time and both approved at a later date. There were no complaints or issues when they both appeared.
    I am sure there are more examples of this happening with the creation of new forums, why there is still massive resistance to this one in particular, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

The Doc fought for a long time to get this forum started, & I and others were there to back him all the way.

Now that it's here, I like it a lot.
    If I click on the forum front page, I'll have some interest in almost every thread. On the R & M forum, that wasn't the case.

So, I think it's great that we have it. But since the OP seems to be questioning the way it was introduced more than the fact that it was, maybe I'll just leave this to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm very pleased to see a classic rock forum on boards. At last somewhere to post Calypso by John Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I have to say I am on the side of Classic Rock and have been since the doc started his campaign for it aeons ago. I can not understand why there is such a problem with it.

Another poster said on this thread that the people posting in CR were not regular posters in Rock and Metal, well I know I only have 1 or 2 posts in CR but I can say for myself why that is. I rarely if ever posted in R+M because when I was on that forum to be honest I found very few threads that held my interest there.

Now we have a Classic Rock forum which is so up my street it could be named "gaaman road" and I have really enjoyed reading the posts, and yeah I only have a couple of posts on it but I was always more of a lurker anyway :pac:

Advertisement