Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiring Modern Irish Women

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

have you had a look at the blog 'butiwannaliveforever' - exceptionally sad of this young mothers story but so inspiring how strong and brave she she, undeniably and inspirational woman

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I find it very saddening that it's so difficult to find female role models for my daughter in Irish life. Miriam O' Callaghan has clearly done well for herself but I can't see her as an inspirational figure, she's managed to get to the top of one of those "desirable" careers that, in reality, aren't very worthwhile, fulfilling or challenging. So many young girls already want to emulate this but, in reality, will never, ever get close because they don't have the connections in Rosemount. Wouldn't it be nice if we could find more realistic role-models for them? And one's doing worthwhile work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    Does any one know any good blogs or diarys/website i could look up.

Im not having much luck as of yet :rolleyes:
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could find more realistic role-models for them? And one's doing worthwhile work?

There are LOADS out there Sleepy. :)

15 Irish Women Who Made A Breakthrough

A general list composed by Action Aid Ireland

Book: Capital Women of Influence

Ireland's 20 Most Influential Women

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So many young girls already want to emulate this but, in reality, will never, ever get close because they don't have the connections in Rosemount.

Montrose?

Miriam O'Callaghan didn't start out in RTE by the way, she started in the UK as a researcher/producer with ITV and then on to the BBC before she came home to Ireland.

In fairness it's better that young girls/women try to emulate the likes of Miriam O'Callaghan than some of the yokes that try out for Xfactor. (which is a great platform if you have a good voice but not if you just want to be on TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

LittleBook - thanks for the links. Isn't it a little odd that I've never heard of most of those worthy of their positions on the lists (e.g. Samantha Power) whilst the one's who I'd consider morons (e.g. Joan Burton) or successful but not doing anything that a man in the same position would be considered worthy of the title "role model" for (e.g. Cathy Kearney, Noirin O'Sullivan etc.)

borderlinemeath, Oops, yes, I meant Montrose, bit of a brain fart there! My point was that I don't consider Miriam O' Callaghan to be a particularly good role model: she does a job that requires little real intellect, and let's face it, is more famed for having so many children than her professional achievements. I'm also of the school of thought that one cannot be a marvellous parent (mother or father) to such a large family whilst focusing on a career. IMO, and I may get slated for it on this forum, a high-flying career is detrimental to one's relationship with one's children. Given the forum I'm speaking on, I feel I should point out that it was formed primarily from observing men I knew with high-level careers and their relationships with their children rather than observations of working mothers (though I know very few women who have tried to "have it all"). Again it's only my opinion, but in a two parent family, one parent should be the primary care-giver and limit their career ambitions in order to fulfil this role (or both should if finances aren't a major worry).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

Did anyone see the documentary the other night on RTE about Kelly O Farrel's quest studying in London??

I thought this was great it really was inspiring and she made me laugh.

In my opinion, This girl is really inspirational :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

My point was that I don't consider Miriam O' Callaghan to be a particularly good role model: she does a job that requires little real intellect, and let's face it, is more famed for having so many children than her professional achievements. I'm also of the school of thought that one cannot be a marvellous parent (mother or father) to such a large family whilst focusing on a career. IMO, and I may get slated for it on this forum, a high-flying career is detrimental to one's relationship with one's children. Given the forum I'm speaking on, I feel I should point out that it was formed primarily from observing men I knew with high-level careers and their relationships with their children rather than observations of working mothers (though I know very few women who have tried to "have it all"). Again it's only my opinion, but in a two parent family, one parent should be the primary care-giver and limit their career ambitions in order to fulfil this role (or both should if finances aren't a major worry).

Little real intellect? May I suggest that you at least do your homework before slating people -Miriam O'Callaghan studied Law at UCD, took Bar exams at Blackhall Place and was a qualified solicitor before ever going into broadcasting.

If there was ever a poster girl for 'having it all', she is it. Unfortunately it seems that despite the facts in front of them -brains, beauty, domestic bliss, people's insecurities will inherently try to find fault where there is none.

Some people are just genuinely successful in all aspects of their lives -be happy for them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I suppose it all comes down to what it is that inspires you. I've never really been inspired by those women who make it to the top of their fields or who "have it all". I admire them but I get most of my inspiration from nobodies - people in the community or people I know who have had to deal with real adversity and come out the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Rosanna Davidson anyone!? :D

I think Marian Keyes is a really good choice, she is intelligent and humourous and inspirational in how she has overcome her demons.

Orla Tinsley (the CF campaigner) is another amazing young Irish woman, I heard her on Marian Finnucane a few weeks ago, she's an incredibly strong character.

I also think Marian herself is pretty fantastic. Speaking of Marian, an honorable mention for the late Nuala O'Faolain is also in order.

Darina Allen is another woman who has accomplished so much. She's built an empire down in Shanagarry along with her mother and daughter in law. Myrtle Allen's approach to seasonal local food was groundbreaking in it's own right.

And on the subject of Cork women, Sonia O'Sullivan.

Mary Robinson is probably still one of the most impressive living Irish women. She has such grace, and intelligence and conviction.

May all of our daughters grow up to be Marys and Marians. And not Rosannas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Miriam O'Callaghan is not more known for having lots of kids than she is for being a broadcast journalist - totally disingenuous thing to say. Being a skilled intermediary on a programme like Prime Time involves little real intellect? Claptrap. She also used to report from Dublin for the BBC's Newsnight, as well as having a career with the BBC itself for many years prior to this. Believe me, people who are not highly talented and intelligent do not get these jobs.

She has an impressive career in broadcast journalism under her belt, presents her own show (it's crap in terms of guests, but she's great on it) and is able to do the light entertainment thing as well as the current affairs thing; she co-runs a production company with her husband, and above all, she is raising eight children. Yes, that is her choice, yes I agree with Sleepy that her work commitments might affect the amount of time she can spend with her children (although we don't know that for certain).
    She's in a privileged position now, for sure - no money worries, no doubt plenty of people to help out with her children, but she would have had to put in serious graft to get where she is today, and for that, I think she should be commended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

What's the story with thread?

Are we allowed to disagree with the Miriam crowd or is that against the mod note??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    What's the story with thread?

Are we allowed to disagree with the Miriam crowd or is that against the mod note??
    Why wouldn't you be able to disagree with "the Miriam crowd"? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Madam_X wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you be able to disagree with "the Miriam crowd"? :confused:

I dunno... maybe the writing in bold?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For gods sake can we please move beyond this Miriam O'Callaghan ever circling meme? It kicked off back and forth bickering before, there was a warning because of it and people were asked to take to PM. The next pro/anti M O'C post gets deleted and user infracted/banned. Final warning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Check out the current edition of Ireland's Own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I find loads of irish women inspiring. where to even start!

The state pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy. Always thought that looked like a fascinating job, and she is right there at the top of it.

Supreme court judges Susan Denham and Fidelma Macken. Fidelam Macken was the first woman judge in the european court of justice.

Female CEO or directors of large companies I always find inspiring.

In the arts there are loads. Maeve Binchy, Pauline Bewick's illustrations, Sinead O'Connor. I know, not everyone's cup of tea, or even mine sometimes, but she is just exuding life and passion.

Myrtle Allen, chef and businesswoman. Hugely successful empire training chefs all over the world.

There are heaps of very successful female hotel owners around the country. Seriously efficient women, constantly welcoming tourists back here and presenting us so very well.

In politics, I know she wasn't popular, but after being in Mary Hearney's prescence a few times I thought she was so hard working.

Mary Robinson of course.

And my mum, grandmothers and greatgrandmothers.
    All inspire me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

eviltwin wrote: »
    I suppose it all comes down to what it is that inspires you. I've never really been inspired by those women who make it to the top of their fields or who "have it all". I admire them but I get most of my inspiration from nobodies - people in the community or people I know who have had to deal with real adversity and come out the other side.

+1 to this post. It really does depend on what qualities you admire in people be they men or women.

I've said this before on here,but I really admire RTE sports commentator Joanne Cantwell.She is an accomplished athlete in her own right,and she holds her own in a male dominated profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Marie Cassidy is Scottish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Daraine Mulvihill, the Channel 4 presenter during the Paralympics. She survived meningitis but lost both legs and fingers. Now she's forging a career in TV presenting.

Amazing determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ok hopefully I wont get the head taken off me for giving a few names..

but sure i will go for it anyway

Adi Roche.. magnificent work with the chernobyl childrens foundation.

Joan Freeman.. for her work in pieta house, self harm and suicide awareness.

Christine Buckley.. she survived industrial schools, amazing woman, great strength and courage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement