Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The least important part of this thread is the Title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

OK, so tonight didn't go exactly as planned. Both my calves were pretty tight, which was strange since I've only done one short run in the past week, and then my left ankle started acting up a bit. I stopped to stretch 2 miles into the planned 8, but decided to cut the loop short and tun it into a 4.5 mile run instead so as not to put the ankle under too much pressure.

So in summary, 4.5miles in 37 mins, 8.04 mile pace

Not an ideal way to get back after a week lay-off, but I should be ok tomorrow for a hill session. Hopefully.

Right, I learned/remembered a few things today.

1. Both my calves and my left ankle need TLC and possibly a few days rest.

2. I need to start doing fast stuff.

3. Training partners are very desirable for track sessions.

4. Morton Stadium takes ages to get to from my house, especially if you go the wrong way.

I decided to head out to Morton stadium to see what the story was with the gym etc, and do a bit on the track. Took ages to get there with the traffic, so I ended up only having about 40mins to do a workout before it closed.

I did a quick dynamic warmup, 2 laps of the track then some bounding, dynamic hamstring stretches, lunges, leg-swings, squats and a few drills and stride-outs. Throughout this my calves, particularly on my left side, were feeling very tight, and my ankle wasn't 100% on the left side either, similar to how it felt on my run yesterday. I continued regardless.

I decided to do 3 x 200m at about 85% with 3min rest, as I only had 15mins left at this stage.

Having not done anything like this in about a year, I had no idea where I was at in terms of base speed, and speed endurance so I didn't know what to expect time-wise from these runs. It was a strange feeling, sort of a 'this is where you learn something about yourself' sort of thing...I ran them in my trainers, which, while light enough, aren't ideal on a wet track, but I didn't want to wear spikes.

Rep 1: 28-mid

Rep 2: 28-high

Rep 3: 32-mid

At first I was very disappointed by these times, as I ran them pretty hard, but looking back on them now they're not so bad.

What I take from this is that my base speed is a bit down on where it needs to be and my speed endurance is rubbish enough.
    Can only improve from here on in!

I'm not going to run for a couple of days, instead concentrate on core and flexibility and loosening out my calves. I don't want to end up with a proper injury. I may go for a few bike rides to keep the aerobic system ticking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Nothing wrong with those 200s at the start of your season.

Thursday PM: Did some core work, press ups and stretching/foam rolling/mobility work yesterday evening.

Core: 3 x supersets of 15 press-ups on dumbells with 40 secs plank afterwards, then 3 min break.

Counting (core work) up to ten x 2, and up to 13 x 1.

Calves feel a bit better this morning. Might get a run and some intervals in over the weekend. Gym too.

Bit of a mixed bag the last couple of days.

Friday
    Despite the tenderness in my ankle at the track on Wednesday I decided to head out for a fartlek run. The aim was 6 x 1min hard with 2min slow in between each rep. Both calves were a little tight at the beginning of the warm-up run, normal enough, but as I went on the discomfort I'd felt on Wednesday in my left ankle came back and I realised I'd better pull up and walk home.

That was a bit annoying to say the least.

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    AM: Gym session in Morton Stadium

Dynamic warm-up, lunges, squats, light skipping. I was careful not to put any undue stress on my ankle during this.

Hang Clean
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Squat
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Straight-leg raises and Pull-Up supersets
    15 x SLR , 5 x PU
    15 x SLR , 5 x PU
    15 x SLR , 5 x PU

Got a few bicep curls in before I had to leave before the place closed.

The gym session felt good. Muscles are a bit sore now. Still not as strong as I should be. Don't know what the story is with my ankle. Won't attempt to run on it for a few days at least.
    This week will be dedicated to gym work and mobility, with a cycle or two thrown in.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Resting ankle so a run was out of the question. Muscles were quite sore after the gym on Sunday, particularly in the legs. Did about 5 minutes of foam rolling which was quite painful initially, especially on the quads and IT band.

Then did 3 sets of:

45 secs front plank,

40 secs side plank, then other side plank,

15 push-ups, using dumbbells for greater depth.

I did an extra round of push-ups at the end. Couldn't take a fourth round of planks though. Then did a bit of stretching and some more foam rolling before calling it a day. Nice quick work-out.

Tuesday
    Headed out to Morton stadium after work, both to get a work-out in, and see how busy the place was on a weekday evening.

If anything, my legs were more stiff today after Sunday's work-out and my lats were painful also. DOMs are my just reward for not going to the gym regularly for months.

I am officially still resting my ankle, but I was curious to see how it was, as it hadn't been at all sore when walking, the last pain I had in it was on Friday when I attempted to go for that run.

I went for a cautious warm-up jog of two laps of the track in the outside lane, and it felt OK, I did a bit of a stride out in the last 120m or so of the 2nd lap and when I slowed after this it was slightly tender but not bad. Pretty happy with that, I stopped the running there.

I then went into the gym, where I did the following:

20mins warm-up on stationary bike (no distance gauge so no idea how 'far' I cycled)

Stretching, lunges, squat.

Hang Clean
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Deadlift
    55kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    60kg x 10

Hamstring Curl and Dips supersets
    20kg x 10 HC, 10 x dips
    20kg x 10 HC, 10 x dips
    20kg x 10 HC, 10 x dips

Straight Leg Raise
    20 reps
    10 reps
    8 reps

I was dead at this point. I also attempted to do some reverse hyper extensions with a 15kg plate, but my lower back was absolutely in bits from the DLs, my quads were in pain from everything, and my ba11s were in constant danger of being squashed, whatever way I was using the machine...:pac:

All in all a good session. I would have been perfectly within my rights to have a rest day today, and I think I'll feel the pain tomorrow, but it was worth it. I hope.

I saw a few familiar faces out there as well, one guy who I used to run against, that always beat me. He'd probably annihilate me now!

Gregan was out there as well. Felt kind of good to be out at a place where everyone was there on the same freezing October night, all trying to improve, even if some have much different aspirations than others!

Wednesday

PM: about 10-15mins worth of stretching and foam rolling.

Thursday
    Back out to Santry this evening. Still not happy to do any lengthy running on the ankle, so more gym. Was feeling pretty fresh after the day off yesterday.

Started off with 2 laps of the track, slow jogging with a stride out of 100m at the end. Left calf was a bit stiff to begin with, but loosened out quickly.

Then 10 mins on the bike in the gym, last minute pushed hard. Silly that there's no electronic display on the bike.

The left ankle felt a bit tender when I began doing a bit of dynamic stetching, but I think it has gotten much better than it was. I might be able to get out for a few km over the weekend. It's hard to know with niggles sometimes.

Then:

Hang Clean
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Squat
    55kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Then a quick circuit of: Knee-tucks on medicine ball, Pull-ups, single leg squats

15 x KT, 5 x PU, 8 x SLS each leg, 1 minute break.
    20 x KT, 6 x PU, 10 x SLS left leg, 12 x SLS right leg.

The gym was about to close so I had to cut the session short, ideally I would have gotten 5 sets in on the HC and Squat, and an extra exercise and another set on the circuit at the end.

I need to do more single-leg work, my left leg is noticeably stronger than my right. Hence the extra 2 reps on the right leg at the end...

All in all it was a good work-out. 80kg was much more manageable this time.

Want to run.

Went for a short run today on grass with my friend who like me is coming back after an ankle injury. Unlike me he has a 5k PB of 16mins, so his 'easy' pace is quite a bit faster than what I am used to.

We'd agreed on doing about 20mins, it ended up being 3.05 miles in 22mins, 07.12 avg pace, which was a bit of a struggle to keep up with if I'm honest.

Felt good though, and the ankle was completely fine, just a bit of tightness in the calf.

Will do some circuit type stuff tomorrow.

Left calf was a bit tender today, so I didn't run on it.

Circuits.

Did a quick warm-up consisting of foam-rolling, and BW squats and lunges.

The circuit consisted of push-ups on dumbbells, Medicine ball Knee-tucks, Single leg squats, Mountain-climbers (in push-up position, alternate driving each leg forward so the foot comes as close to its respective hand as possible), and the Plank

Set 1: PU x 15, KT x 15, SLS x 8 each leg, MC x 50, 30 secs Plank

2 mins rest

Set 2 : PU x 15, KT x 15, SLS x 10EL, 30 secs Plank (forgot to do MCs:( )

2mins

Set 3: PU x 15, KT x 15, SLS x 10EL, MC x 60, 30 secs Plank

2mins 30 secs

Set 4: PU x 15, KT x 15, SLS x 10EL, MC x 60, 30 secs Plank

Took 28 mins 27 secs altogether, including the warm-up and I was pretty knackered by the end of it as I tried not to take breaks between the exercises as much as possible. The SL squats I can feel really working my glutes, indicating a bit of weakness there. Going to keep doing them regularly.

I would have added burpees into the circuit, but I was doing it in my sitting room and didn't want to make a huge racket. I might have had trouble with hitting the ceiling too.

Looking forward to heading down to the Gerry Farnam race tomorrow to have a gander... Unless it's pissíng it down outside!

Did a bit of fartlek today.

11 mins warm up jog, then 6 x 1 min fast with 30 secs slow jog in between each rep. Then 3 mins slow, was on Chesterfield Avenue at this point, so I did 3 x 1 lamp-post at 100%, with 1 lamp-post recovery, then 3-5mins stretching before a 10 min jog home.

41 mins altogether. Felt good. Next time I'll up it to 75 secs on.

Left calf is a bit tight now, so maybe I did too much today. This week is going to be a bit patchy for training though, (I'm graduating from college on Wednesday) so I felt like I needed to get a good work-out in.

ps Just broke the 1,000 views barrier, excellent. :)

• Advertisement

Disaster of a week for training. Got an hour long cycle in and a gym session on Monday, but nothing since then. Think I may need some physio again on my calf.

Big week in many ways though, graduated from college on Wednesday, and bought my first car today.

Home in Kerry for the Bank Holiday. Life is good.

Gym in the morning.

Ok so I had written a long enough post about yesterday's gym session, but the internet was acting up when it came time to post it, so I have to do it all again...:mad:

Only had an hour in the gym, in which I managed to squeeze in the following:

Rowing machine: 10 min warm-up, roughly 2350m. Tough enough!

Various stretches and things.

Hang Clean

20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3 (equal PB)

Dead Lift

65kg x 10
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10

BW Dips

3 sets of ten reps

It was a good session overall, if a bit short. The HCs were good; I was only planning on doing 60kg 3x3, but I decided to go for it on the last set. Bit dodgy on the last one, but pulled all 3 reps anyway.
    The DLs are coming along; my form needs a bit of improvement but they're getting there. I wussed out on the 3rd set of 100kg so I punished myself by supersetting the 60kg drop sets with the dips.That was pretty hard actually, I felt a bit dizzy after the second set of those.

On the running front, I think I need another few days off running. I'm not happy with the way my left calf is at the moment. It's not pulled or anything, but it's a lot sorer and stiffer than it should be after runs, and isn't getting better the way I've been managing it up to now. Will try to see a physio soon, but fitting it in around work is difficult. I'll keep up the cycling and try to extend the length of time I do cardio type stuff before gym sessions to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Ok so I had written a long enough post about yesterday's gym session, but the internet was acting up when it came time to post it, so I have to do it all again...:mad:

Only had an hour in the gym, in which I managed to squeeze in the following:

Rowing machine: 10 min warm-up, roughly 2350m. Tough enough!

Various stretches and things.

Hang Clean

20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3 (equal PB)

Dead Lift

65kg x 10
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    60kg x 10

BW Dips

3 sets of ten reps

It was a good session overall, if a bit short. The HCs were good; I was only planning on doing 60kg 3x3, but I decided to go for it on the last set. Bit dodgy on the last one, but pulled all 3 reps anyway.
    The DLs are coming along; my form needs a bit of improvement but they're getting there. I wussed out on the 3rd set of 100kg so I punished myself by supersetting the 60kg drop sets with the dips.That was pretty hard actually, I felt a bit dizzy after the second set of those.

On the running front, I think I need another few days off running. I'm not happy with the way my left calf is at the moment. It's not pulled or anything, but it's a lot sorer and stiffer than it should be after runs, and isn't getting better the way I've been managing it up to now. Will try to see a physio soon, but fitting it in around work is difficult. I'll keep up the cycling and try to extend the length of time I do cardio type stuff before gym sessions to compensate.

Shame about your calf injury, at least you are putting in some good gym work. Good session above.

Tuesday PM

Took advantage of a spare 15 mins while my dinner was cooking.

2 x (20 press-ups, followed by 1 minute plank)

The plank was broken down into 20 secs normal plank, then 10 secs right arm up, 10 secs left arm up, 10 secs right arm + left leg up, 10 secs left arm + right leg up.

Better than doing nothing for the day!

Wednesday PM

Headed out to Morton stadium for another gym session. Tried to be quick about it as I wanted to catch the second half of the United game.

Started off with: Excercise Bike: 12 mins total, broken down into 9 mins steady, 1 min hard, 2 mins very easy.

Then stretches and stuff: Hip mobility, lunges, squats, leg swings etc.

Followed by:

Hang Clean
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    67kg x 3 (PB!)
    55kg x 5

then 1 x 55kg powerclean to lift the bar onto the rack...

Squat
    55kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5

Mini-Circuit

This consisted of 5 full extension pull-ups, 10 single-leg squats on each leg, and 20 knee-tucks on the medicine ball, with 1 min rest between rounds.

Managed the 1st circuit in 2:05, the 2nd in 2:07, and the 3rd in 2:12.

This was a really-great session. I wanted to up the intensity as I felt I was having too much break-time between sets in previous sessions. I completed this session in 57 minutes, from the start of the warm up on the exercise bike, to the last rep of the knee tucks. I was completely wrecked at the end, which is what I wanted, and I got it in under an hour.

I also pulled a new PB in the hang-clean. It's not a great PB, but it's improved massively over the past few weeks. 55kg seemed very easy tonight, where in the past it's been hard work.

The squat also felt solid. Should be good for 90kg next time.

Overall I'm happy with the way the gym work is going. I'm hoping incorporating circuit-type conditioning stuff will stand to me when I get back on the track, which will be soon I hope. Don't want to rush back until I'm right. It's difficult though!

Monday PM
    Did a 19 min, v. easy run this evening with my cousin who was having his first run after hobbling to a sub 4hr DCM last week. Not going to bother mapmyrun-ing it, as it was just to see how the calf/ankle was, and it's good!

Felt no tightness at all, which I wasn't expecting. I'm going to go to Santry tomorrow evening and try to do a little bit more.

Very happy now with this, as I'm back on track. Special thanks to E.Coli, who had a look at my calf and gave me a bit of a massage and some advice.

8 weeks now to the new year. I hope I can fill them with miles, weights and enthusiasm and come out fitter stronger and faster and injury-free on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday PM
    Did a 19 min, v. easy run this evening with my cousin who was having his first run after hobbling to a sub 4hr DCM last week. Not going to bother mapmyrun-ing it, as it was just to see how the calf/ankle was, and it's good!

Felt no tightness at all, which I wasn't expecting. I'm going to go to Santry tomorrow evening and try to do a little bit more.

Very happy now with this, as I'm back on track. Special thanks to E.Coli, who had a look at my calf and gave me a bit of a massage and some advice.

8 weeks now to the new year. I hope I can fill them with miles, weights and enthusiasm and come out fitter stronger and faster and injury-free on the other side.

Delighted to hear that man when I hadnt seen an update over the last few days on the running front I was kinda worried. Best of luck back with training

ecoli wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that man when I hadnt seen an update over the last few days on the running front I was kinda worried. Best of luck back with training

Yeah I actually picked up a 24hr bug of some sort, and was very sick on Thursday night from about 10pm on, puking all night. Was in bed all day Friday and couldn't eat until late that night, so I decided to give myself the weekend to recover properly.

Back in business now though!!

Right, after an extensive almost non-existent probation period to build up to full training after my calf niggle, I decided that with only 8 weeks left to the new year, time was not on my side if I had any aspirations of being in rude health for the indoor season, and therefore I had to get cracking at some track sessions quick-smart.

I decided to do 200s, as they're not as terrifying as 300s but still hurt satisfyingly after a few repetitions.

So 2x3x200m was the planned session in 30s or below, with 3min walkback/rest between reps, 5min between sets.

Warm up

5mins on rowing machine, followed by 2 laps of infield on grass, slow jogging.

Dynamic stretches, drills, stride outs. All of this took about 25mins.

200m intervals
    1: pressed the wrong button so no time.
    2: 28.9
    3: 29.1
    5mins
    4: 28.9
    5: 30.3
    6: 30.1

I then did a bit of lying down in exhaustion, followed by a brief circuit of 20 reverse hyperextensions, 5 pull-ups, 10 BW dips, and 20 knee tucks on the med-ball. 2 rounds of that.

I am quite happy with this session, but it did hurt. The track was a bit slippy, I don't think I could have gone much faster without wearing spikes. In future I'm lashing the spikes on for anything under 200m. I was feeling the lactic build-up in my hamstrings in particular by the 3rd one. No calf issues. The 4th was grand, but the 5th and 6th were right c*nts for the last 30m or so. I think my form suffered as a result there.

There was another group of sprinters doing 200s at the same time as me, but they were sticking rigidly to 30s pace, with 90s recoveries. I think they did 8, all in one set. They were wearing spikes though...:pac:

Maybe I'll be able to build up to something like that in a few weeks but right now I wouldn't be able for that at all.

For the moment I'm comfortably fitter than I was the last time I attempted 200s couple of weeks ago, and touch wood the calf issues are largely behind me.

I'm going to take tomorrow very easy. Maybe 30mins handy. Then weights on Thursday, and a hill session on Saturday morning, followed by possibly circuits in the afternoon. I'll play it by ear as to how the body is.

Calf was tight when I got home, but that's to be expected. Did foam rolling and stretching. Just have to keep on top of it I think!

WednesdayPM:

Did a 6.9km (4.3 miles) loop in 35mins, 8:10 avg pace this evening taking it very very easy for the first 15mins or so and building it up a bit then. There was one hill of about 150m in length which I sprinted up. Felt good.

Calves were both a bit tight today so I did a bried bit of foam rolling before I left, and they both feel a bit sore, but in a not worrying way at the moment.

Nice mild evening for a run.

Just looked up and found that the Leinster Indoors are on in 13 weeks' time on the first weekend of February, so I'll be aiming for them.

The munster Seniors are on in Nenagh on Jan 6th. So I might go for them first. Looking at last year's results I'd be competitive in the 400m and 800m if I'm in alright shape.

• Advertisement

Thursday PM:
    Was feeling decidedly lacklustre this evening when I got in the door from work. Sat down on the couch and almost fell asleep. Managed to drag myself back from the brink and make it out the door to Santry though. Close call.

Was still feeling generally groggy when I got there, and the session in itself was only alright, but I got it done and I felt better afterwards.

Warm Up
    Exercise bike: 9mins steady, 1min hard, 2 mins easy

Hip mobility, lunges, squats, leg-swings, copious amounts of calf and hamstring stretching.

Hang Clean
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Deadlift
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Mini Circuit
    [15 reverse hypers, 10 SL squats each leg, 5 Pull-Ups] x 2

And that was that!

I should have done 3 rounds of the mini-circuit but I convinced myself that I wouldn't have time as it was nearly closing time, and that I was wrecked.

In fairness I was feeling the fatigue tonight a bit. My hamstrings were sore from the 200s on Tuesday, calves were sore but not worryingly.

I took it easy with the DLs tonight as I figured my hamstrings might give up on me.

Will take a well earned day off from training tomorrow. I'll see about Saturday when I get there.

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    AM:
    Decided to have my first go at hills this year, following the same formula as the hills sessions I had done last year with the UCC/Leevale sprint group before I pulled my hamstring. Basically start off with about an 80% effort up a 200m-ish stretch of a 10-15% incline, take 2mins between reps, and repeat.

I had decided to do 6 to begin with, which was what I had managed the first time I had done the session last year, although on a different hill so i had to estimate the distance this time round.

I managed grinding out the following:

1. 41s, 2:05
    2. 41s, 2:00
    3. 42s, 2:08
    4. 42s, 2:37
    5. 40s, 3:22
    6. 39s

Ended up with totals of 5.07 miles (8.16km) at 10:20 avg mile pace, including a warm up and cool down jog.

Happy enough with how it went, but the 2min recovery didn't leave me enough time to get back to the start point walking, so I'm beginning to think the set recovery last year for the Leevale sessions were 2.30 recovery. I didn't wear a watch when I did them so I'm not sure.

The first 3 were ok; after the 4th I felt like I'd been shot in the chest, and the 5th and 6th ones were all pain. I wouldn't take a huge amount of info from the times, I'm just using them to show I was reasonably consistent.

Will do that type of session again next week. Probably keep it to 6 reps, then up to 7 the following week.

Haven't found time to post in the past few days, but I've been keeping busy...

Sunday - Rest

Monday - 4 a side football on astro. Decent bit of cross training.

Tuesday - Track

Warm up: 12 mins on exercise bike. Then a bit of hip mobility, lunges, squats, leg swings, and a few stride-outs. 29 mins altogether.

Session: 600m, 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m with walk-what-you-run rests, up to 400m max.

600m: 1:55, 3:55 walking
    500m: 1:35, 3:56
    400m: 1:09, 4:56
    300m: 0:48, 3:36
    200m: 0:29

Didn't feel the best before/during this session. Note to self: Don't eat peanuts and a bowl of fruit n' fibre 40 mins before going to the track. Was pretty sure I'd be seeing them again at some point during the session. Maybe that's why I didn't push the first 2 as much as I could have...hmm. Nevertheless, good session all things considered.

Wednesday - 4.2 miles in 33 mins. Took it very easy for the first ten minutes. Then did 6 x 1 min steady with 30 secs easy in between.
    Felt good enough. Calves a bit achey now, but I did some foam rolling and stretching after my run.

Gym now tomorrow evening. Will try to keep up with posting as I train.

Thursday
    Had another so-so evening in Santry. Wasn't feeling the best all day due to lack of sleep, the previous two nights' sessions, and the suspicion that I was coming down with something as the glands in my throat were slightly swollen.

I decided not to do any leg exercises, as I had an acute case of DOMS in both calves and I didn't want to overdo it.

Warm-Up - 5 mins on exercise bike, 5 mins on rowing machine. Then lunges, squats, leg-swings etc...

Then, 28 pull-ups in 4 sets, while working on loosening out my legs in between sets.

Circuit
    10 BW Dips, 20 knee-tucks on med ball, 10 inverted rows,and 15 reverse hyperextensions.

Did 2 rounds of that. I was feeling really knackered after two, so I wussed out of the third. The knee-tucks were replaced by 1 min plank on the second set as some sneaky person ran off with the med-ball I was using!

Left it at that. A short work-out is better than no work out.

Will do another gym session on Saturday or Sunday and will have a go at Rear-leg-elevated (Bulgarian) Split-squats. Meant to be pyure deadly.

In the meantime, my legs are feeling much better, and I don't think I'm coming down with something. Hopefully.

I'm back home in Tralee for the second weekend running (geddit?), and so back I went to the same hill as last Saturday to have another bash at the same session. I decided to jog slowly this time between reps instead of walking, with the aim of keeping the breaks more consistent and shorter, and also making the session more manly in general. :)

Here's how I fared:

1. 39.3, 2:00
    2. 40.9, 2:00
    3. 41.7, 2:00
    4. 41.2, 2:15
    5. 40.8, 2:15
    6. 37.9

The path I was running on was pretty slippy and I could feel my feet slipping a bit. Nothing I could so about that! I was definitely stronger this week and the breaks were more consistent so I'm happy enough overall.

I'll go for 7 next time.

Monday - Gym
    Didn't manage to get to the gym over the weekend, so out to Morton Stadium on Monday evening I went...

Warm Up:
    5 min on exercise bike, 5 min rowing machine. Hip mobility exercises, leg swings, lunges and squats.

Bulgarian Split Squat:
    Having never really done these before, and basing my technique on a few short youtube vidoes, I attempted to do 3 sets of 8 on each leg with 2 x 12.5kg dumbbells. I did 2 sets but it was clear that my right leg was (as it always has been) considerably weaker than my left so I switched and did 2 sets of ten with no dumbells instead of the last weighted set.

Deadlift:
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Circuit:
    This consisted of 20 burpees, 5 pull-ups, 20 med ball knee-tucks, and 20 push-ups. No break between exercises, 90 secs rest between rounds.
    Only did 2 rounds. Then did 1 min front plank before calling it a day.

It was a good session overall. Glad to have had a go at the split squats. It's been 2 days since I did them and I can still feel the DOMS in my hams and glutes. I will definitely try to do them at most gym sessions now as I clearly need to address the strength difference between my legs. The DLs were more to loosen out my quads after the alien feeling I had in them after the split squats.

The little circuit was very tough. Burpees need to be done more.

I've had a patchy enough last couple of days. I'm happy with how almost all my sessions are going, but my schedule has been all over the shope in the last couple of weeks so I just need to keep an eye on the consistency and volume. I also need to force myself to get to bed earlier. I wanted to get out to the track this evening but I was almost dozing off in the car on the way home from work, and ended up going for a 40min nap when I got in the door. I'm not in a good state to do a track session tonight and I left my runners in Tralee last weekend so an easy run isn't on the cards either. I'll make it to the track tomorrow evening after a good night's sleep tonight hopefully...

Also, received a GPS watch as gift from the OH for my birthday :D. I wanted to give it a go tonight but alas... tomorrow.

I just re-read my opening post on this log, and i saw that I was 78/79kg at the time. I'm now down to a much leaner 75kg, which I'm happy with and don't want to lose too much more. Not that I was trying to lose any in the first place!

Saturday AM:

After a pretty poor week for training due to a number of different factors, I managed to get out this morning for a hills session. It was the same hill as the past 2 weeks, but I changed the section of the hill I was running on to make it slightly steeper at the start and a bit easier for the last 30m or so.

It was the first time I got to use my new Nike+ sport watch and I have to say I'm very happy with it. Just discovered I can't link to the details of the run, but it was 5.27 miles in 53 minutes all together.

here's the hills break down:

1. 35.4s, 2:00
    2. 37.0s, 2:00
    3. 38.8s, 2:00
    4. 40.3s, 2:00
    5. 41.2s, 3:10
    6. 36.8s, 3:30
    7. 35.4s

I was happy enough with this. The 2 minute recoveries are fairly brutal,as you can see by the rep time increasing with each one. I used longer breaks for the last 2 to keep the quality up, but they were by no means easy.
    Good, tough session overall.

It's been difficult fitting my training in around my schedule recently, but any time I've found, I've been very happy with the quality of training I'm putting in.

I'd planned for a gym session this evening, but circumstances conspired to prevent that from happening (car had to go to the mechanic), so I had to make do with a quick run.

I did a 6.80 km loop, the same one I did last Wednesday I think, with a similar bit of fartlek built in.

I warmed up for 11mins, then did 4 x 1 min fast with 1 min easy in between, then 2mins easy after the 4th, before 70 sec fast which included a big hill, then 4mins easy before the last one, which was more of a stride out, which I had to cut short after 45 secs due to getting a very nasty stitch on the right side of my ribs.

The rest of the run was very easy, until I got back to the house, in 37:53 altogether.

I was wearing the GPS watch (Nike+ Sportwatch) and was getting read-outs after each split of my average speed for that, as well as the distance. So far I haven't figured out how to get this break-down of data when I upload to the online site. Will investigate further.

Anyway, the first rep (from memory) I was running at 16 km/hr, 2, 3, and 4 were all at 18 km/hr, and the 5th was at 19.8 km/hr, which was about my fastest speed on the hill reps I did on Saturday. That 5th one today was a real killer, but it felt good too.

Hopefully I'll get a gym session in tomorrow and if not then, Wednesday. My schedule is calming down slightly after this weekend, but with Christmas coming up there are a good few 'events' :pac: on the horizon which will have to be accommodated around the training...

For the moment, I was noticeably stronger this week than last. Progress is good. Moar please.

• Advertisement

Got the car back this evening, so was able to make it out to Santry, but alas I only had an hour before the place closed, so 50mins in the gym with 10 to spare for a shower.

Here's what I did:

Warm Up

5 mins on rowing machine, 1150m approx. Went pretty hard at it. Felt good.

Then a bit of hasty hip mobility and leg swings.

Hang Clean
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    65kg x 1 :mad:

High Pull
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Bulgarian Split Squat
    BW x 10 EL
    2x 7.5kg DB x 8 EL
    2x 7.5kg DB x 8 EL
    2x 10kg DB x 8 EL

Pull Up & Reverse Hyper Supersets
    5 x PU, 15 x RHE
    5 x PU, 15 x RHE
    5 x PU, 15 x RHE
    5 x PU

GTFO

This was a grand little session. I had planned to do a circuit at the end which would have been nice. The Split Squats were better this week, didn't feel so alien. Much more to come from them. If they can help me to get my right leg as strong as my left I'll be over the moon. Imbalances are shít.

The hang cleans were ok, disappointed not to finish the 3rd set at 65kg but it'll come. I haven't been consistent enough with the gym lately. High Pulls are the exact same as the HCs without the catch. Good for pumping the traps if you're into that sort of thing...

I'm starting to become a fan of the rowing machine for warming up. It'll get ya going.

Track tomorrow evening if all goes to plan...

Advertisement