Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liffey decent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Now that the race is done. How did everyone get on? I had to work this year :-(

I have to say I don't mind the fee increase. If you are doing the race then you know in advance and if you don't then you shouldn't mind the late fee. There was enough warning about the late fee date. (not just here). Most events are costing more to run these days and costs of running large events are rising. Look at the cost of triathlons and adventure races (see their forums for all the threads on race costs). If we had a major sponsor and a few small ones the cost would be offset. The cash I pay goes towards paying for a few goodies for the volunteers as well as the bibs, licencing costs and the venues.

I think the mindset that we can turn up to national events on the day and enter should change a bit. Most organisers are volunteers and if you enter in advance they can plan logistics, permits, race goodies, music, food etc. You enter on the day..... Headaches and more stress.

By all reports I heard the new finish venue worked very well for visitors and most Irish paddlers?

All we need now is for someone media savey and access to cameras to organise the PR for next year. Anyone here fit that bill? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

In case anyone happened to pass by Chapalizod Weir when I had my camera out i have uploaded the pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114230801320748995073/ChapalizodWeirLiffeyDescent2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Apologies if I missed you, I may have been too busy throwing ropes or looking the wrong way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

I'm with Zuppylurk on the late entry fee, the race is on in September every year and there's next to no reason not to know about it. There's most definately an attitude in Irish paddling of being able to turn up and enter on the day, "sure don't I know the organiser, sound lad, he'll let me enter"

Aside from any ranting, well done to the organisers and volunteers and of course all who participated, best post-race party in years too.
    One of the things I love about the Liffey Descent is the way you see boats of every size, shape and age being taken out of the shed and dusted off for the annual outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Zuppy wrote: »
    Now that the race is done. How did everyone get on? I had to work this year :-(

I have to say I don't mind the fee increase. If you are doing the race then you know in advance and if you don't then you shouldn't mind the late fee. There was enough warning about the late fee date. (not just here). Most events are costing more to run these days and costs of running large events are rising. Look at the cost of triathlons and adventure races (see their forums for all the threads on race costs). If we had a major sponsor and a few small ones the cost would be offset. The cash I pay goes towards paying for a few goodies for the volunteers as well as the bibs, licencing costs and the venues.

I think the mindset that we can turn up to national events on the day and enter should change a bit. Most organisers are volunteers and if you enter in advance they can plan logistics, permits, race goodies, music, food etc. You enter on the day..... Headaches and more stress.

By all reports I heard the new finish venue worked very well for visitors and most Irish paddlers?

All we need now is for someone media savey and access to cameras to organise the PR for next year. Anyone here fit that bill? :D

To be honest, I think they bit their nose off to spite their face. Numbers were low which was clearly obvious. Figures being bandied about were 600 over the 800 last year. For the extra 2k (assuming those numbers are right) that would have been made they missed out on 8k had the price stayed the same.

I understand that an event like this can't be cheap and if it were ever suggested to abandon it, I'd be the first up in arms but where's the anchor sponsor gone? Why were Jameson not replaced? All of the current sponsors whilst well needed are relatively small fish!!! (pun intended)

I don't mind the late entry fee but I just felt that the date they initially gave smelt a lot like profiteering and it wouldn't be unknown for our fair union to want to make some money off us now, would it??

Advertising. I love a lot of aspects of the Descent. One of these is the motivation received from people standing on bridges, in fields, on river banks and just after Chapelizod weir the people in their back garden with a BBQ and reggae music and the support they give us. It's a good pick me up. Paddling 28KM isn't easy as we all know and the little lift that they all give us along with the very kind words of the support crew means quite a bit when your hitting the preverbial wall..... I ranted here but basically, why isn't this even advertised. Irish Times nor Indo covered it this year. Ian Dempsey mentioned it this morning that was about it. Why don't people know it's on and why are they not promoted to go and witness the utter carnage in Straffan and Lucan???

As for the new finish..... It was heaven. It was nicely kitted out and well laid out but as well as that, if you've done the Descent before then you will know that the last slog down Islandbridge is hell...utter hell and passing the current finish to head to Trinity was hell for me..... I got around the corner and saw the boat club and just said "Niiiiiiiiice" It was a welcome early finish !

Advertisement