Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liffey decent

Options
  • 07-09-2012 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

Anyone here doing it this year??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Arawn wrote: »
    Anyone here doing it this year??

Descent... Yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Hope so. Did the lower Liffey today so all buzzed up.
    Looking at the Liffey Descent application form today and the entry fee is €50 this year. It that a bit steep?

stapeler wrote: »
    Hope so. Did the lower Liffey today so all buzzed up.
    Looking at the Liffey Descent application form today and the entry fee is €50 this year. It that a bit steep?

Hasn't it been that for a while now?

Edit: Just checked. It's up a tenner. Bit steep alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

MugMugs wrote: »
    Hasn't it been that for a while now?

Edit: Just checked. It's up a tenner. Bit steep alright.

Plus a pretty hefty €20 late entry fee! I really enjoyed this last year and myself and a friend were hoping to do this in a duo this year but at that cost, taking into account the cost of accommodation, food and getting there (live 3 hours from dublin,) time off work (I work weekends) it would probably cost us over €200 just to take part in the race. Could go on a wee holiday for that :rolleyes:

There were loads of people in my club interested in doing this but everyone finds the entry fee way too expensive especially for people coming from the country. Surely we're not the only ones that feel this way. What's the justification for it? I'm pretty sure the rescue/ stewards etc aren't getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 destanduin

I agree, €70 is too much for a late entry. I imagine lots of people who couldn't commit to the race before the September 1st deadline will be put off by this. Everyone's feeling the pinch these days, and it's disappointing that even the Liffey Descent is being put out of reach too.

• Advertisement

Bugger, didn't realize that after 1st September late entry applied.
    I think there should be a reduced fee for those of us who aren't competing for the prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

The late entry deadline was extended to the 17th. So if you get your enrty in this week there is no extra charge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

From the Liffey D face book page

Hi there,Just a final reminder that the Closing date for Liffey Descent entries is coming up!Monday the 17th September will be the final date for participants to get their Liffey Descent entries in.After this date the late entry fee of €20 will be applied. (Please note that any entrys received prior to this date have not been charged late entry fee).For those that have submitted entries, payment d...etails and confirmation will be sorted on the week of the 17th September.This year promises to be even better than previous years, with the Garda Boat Club acting as the new finish and after party venue.The price of €50 includes t-shirt, after race meal, entrance to the after party and free camping at the Boat Club for those so inclined.Attached are the entry form and the Paddlers Guide.If you have any questions regarding the race, please contact the Canoeing Ireland office and they will do their best to help you out.All the best,

Liffey Descent Committee

To be honest, I've paid the money reluctantly. I made a commitment that I will run the Descent for as long as my body will permit. In saying that, I'd forego the T Shirt, Meal and after party (which I've never gone to) for a reduced fee. I always buy a jacket or hoodie as a wee token of my effort so that just kills the need for the t shirt (although last years was quite cool) I can easily pack sambos and have them when I get back to the car and the last thing I want to do after spending all morning hanging around the k club and potentially three hours on the river is cram into a marquee with people I don't know.

I prefer to go home for a shower and a well deserved beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

is a shuttle service included in that price to the start of the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 A lang

You would think!!!!!
    but bad news is NO
    "[FONT=ComicSansMS,Bold][FONT=ComicSansMS,Bold]Buses must be pre booked on the Friday 28th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,Bold][FONT=ComicSansMS,Bold]September at bib collection. There will be a charge of €5.00 for the tickets. You will only be allowed on this bus if you have pre booked. Limited tickets are available and will operate on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis."[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,Bold]
    [/FONT]

seen that!! probably better sorting own shuttle!

To be honest, I've paid the money reluctantly. I made a commitment that I will run the Descent for as long as my body will permit. In saying that, I'd forego the T Shirt, Meal and after party (which I've never gone to) for a reduced fee.
    I prefer to go home for a shower and a well deserved beer.

“MugMugs” I total agree with you, why should we have to pay for all the frills if we don’t use them,
    I have been paddling Liffey Descents since the mid 80's (when you got a badge for you sweetshirt/tracksuitor whatever you collected them on) but since this time I have only missed out on afew to-date.
    I have also helped out at the event for many years as well, as I was happy to see the Liffey Descent event do well and go from strength to strength.
    I have done the Liffey Descent for so long now that I would like also to keep doing the race for many more years!!
    But this rise in cost has already starting me thinking about entering the Liffey Descent 2013, it might just be a luxury that I might have to give up.
    I’m lucky I live in Dublin and I don’t have the cost of extra travel and accommodation to factor in too like “Truley” mention above and keeping in mind also our overseas paddlers.
    My other big Issue is the Date of the Liffey Descent, Why so late?
    Has someone an idea why we are now running the race at the end of September, and don’t say water levels.
    I was told it might be to do with the ICF calendar, but I don’t see Liffey Descent on the ICF web page????
    When will we move back to first weekend in September?
    So with the cost and current date of the race, being the two main factors to get a long term Liffey Descent paddler to think about trowing in the towel, I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking this!!
    I don’t want to trowing in the towel, but it will be considdered long and hard over the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I actually don't mind paying a bit for the meal and party afterwards, it's a great touch especially for the people who are travelling distances to take part in the race. But the cost of a burger and a tshirt wouldn't even come to a tenner, at most. Where is the rest of the €40/60 going? I guess they do it because there are so many people, like A Lang that have been doing the race for years and have a strong commitment to doing it no matter what the cost. They're probably not too pushed about having fair weather racers like myself. But I can say if the fee had been a little more manageable there would have been at least half a dozen competitors from my club coming along this weekend. Such a shame.

i'd say some of the cost is going to Canoe Ireland, obviously less funding now from the government and this is a good way to build up the coffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

A lang wrote: »
    My other big Issue is the Date of the Liffey Descent, Why so late?]Has someone an idea why we are now running the race at the end of September, and don’t say water levels.

Would you prefer if the date had to be changed some years at short notice?

catch.23 wrote: »
    Would you prefer if the date had to be changed some years at short notice?
    So how many Liffey's had to be move due to lack of water?

Anyway, bib got, bus ticket obtained. Over stressed woman dishing out bibs dealt with and ready for bed. For those of you running it, the very best of luck. Hope you all finish safe, well and without a swim!

Anyway, bib got, bus ticket obtained. Over stressed woman dishing out bibs dealt with and ready for bed. For those of you running it, the very best of luck. Hope you all finish safe, well and without a swim!
    Stay safe, see ya on the winners podium:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi All,

Anyone know what time the decent will be going by the weir in lucan, want to cycle down for a look.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

could you go up and jump in with a wet suit and bouyance aid and float down or would you die ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

figs666 wrote: »
    could you go up and jump in with a wet suit and bouyance aid and float down or would you die ?

You probably wouldn't die but that's a stupid idea to be blunt about it. The people running safety on the day will have enough to worry about without some eejit in a wetsuit throwing himself into the river. I hope you were joking.

Well a fun day. Some serious water there today. Hope everybody enjoyed themselves and stayed swim free..... Like me.... I'll post some footage later. :)

Super day out, no swims, a little assistance required at Lucan. My first solo trip down and took 3hrs so well chuffed.
    I must say all the rescue and support was fantastic along the way, a very well organised event.

Totally disgusted however 1.5 hours I had to queue for a burger, everybody tired and worn out and then the ambulance/first aid people jumping the queue to collect their food. There was almost a fight at one stage. A lot of people just walked away hungry.
    This needs to be addressed for the next event.

stapeler wrote: »
    Super day out, no swims, a little assistance required at Lucan. My first solo trip down and took 3hrs so well chuffed.
    I must say all the rescue and support was fantastic along the way, a very well organised event.

Totally disgusted however 1.5 hours I had to queue for a burger, everybody tired and worn out and then the ambulance/first aid people jumping the queue to collect their food. There was almost a fight at one stage. A lot of people just walked away hungry.
    This needs to be addressed for the next event.

I got there fairly early and took pity on the poor girl doing the burgers. One person feeding the busiest stall!!! To be fair, I queued for about 30 mins and should have just racked the car and hit McD's..... I think the river tasted better than the Burger.

Great day all in all.... Really enjoyed it! Love that Palmerstown wave !!!

This is Palmerstown. The wave is a lot more impressive when you're hitting it head on. I got a bit excited so excuse the language :)

Edit : should be live in about an hour or so, Youtube is still processing.

great event, but the food queue was unreal at the end.
    I gave up after 90 minutes. What made it worse was all the red cross guys who kept skipping the queue - shame on them.

The weir at Palmerstown took out alot of paddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

yes i'm messing

With respects to MadYaker it's not unknown for individuals to actually do this. Sometimes people see Kayakers descend weirs and think wouldn't it be fun to do that with your body and whilst most of the time with low levels they are relatively safe, I've had to extract thrill seekers from nasty stoppers myself which put me at risk as well as them. :)

Hope you made it out yesterday anyway and enjoyed the craic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hi all

If anyone spots or has photos from Straffan, Lucan, Wrens, or Palmerston Weirs which have anyone from Diver Rescue in them can you please get in touch with Underwater Hockey Ireland over on Facebook, or mail info@underwaterhockey.ie?

Cheers

Advertisement