Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BenMcCabe

curly135 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel worried after reading that, I'm only starting the Solidworks output this week :p

Well I have absolutely nothin done it's the first thing I started, need to get drawins and a **** tonne of stuff done too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

Just planning out the project as a whole atm - 14 page maximum I see:
    So does this sound about right?

Output # 1 - 2 pages
    #2 - 2
    #3 - 1
    #4 - none
    #5 - 2
    #6 - 1
    #7 - 3
    #8 - 1
    #9 - 2

Adds up to 14 - about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Anybody want to post up pics of the lecterns they made? Not the actual solidworks work, the pic from the internet. Curious to see what everyone else is making :p

Making this bad boy here, just about finished it now, teacher says It'll be good if I make the buttons work so may aswell if Im gonna go for an A haha

ils21hl600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

BenMcCabe wrote: »
    teacher says It'll be good if I make the buttons work

ils21hl600.jpg

Does he/she mean make them move rather than being solid bosses extruded from the main part ?

• Advertisement

Does he/she mean make them move rather than being solid bosses extruded from the main part ?

Exactly yeah make them as separate parts and put a limit mate on them, easy enough to do

For output 4, does every single sketch need to be fully defined? I have tried to do this for the most part but I think I may have left a few at the start because they didn't exactly need to be fully defined to achieve what I wanted. Will the examiner specificaly check every single sketch does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

Exactly yeah make them as separate parts and put a limit mate on them, easy enough to do

well that depressed me and my view of my ability at solidworks :( i suppose i better start doing them now.

Question guys. for the solidworks should I do the slightly boring shaped modern lectern with tech on it, or go for this real nice marble church one that is all extruded parts and fillets. it would really show a wide variety of skills. thing is no technology in it what so ever ??

what ye think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

iFreeley wrote: »
    Anybody want to post up pics of the lecterns they made? Not the actual solidworks work, the pic from the internet. Curious to see what everyone else is making :p

Reminding people not to post pictures or details of SEC exam work before it is marked.

It is really not at all advisable (to put it mildly).

On output 2 at the minute, so how are people laying this one out? One page for decribing their chosen lecterns in detail and another for comparing and contrasting with sketches and shizz? sound A1-ish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

On output 2 at the minute, so how are people laying this one out? One page for decribing their chosen lecterns in detail and another for comparing and contrasting with sketches and shizz? sound A1-ish?

What I did is for my first page I compared the features on both lecterns, microphone shelf etc. On the second page I compared mostly the physical features and shapes using mostly sketches.

cheers, ya im am doing something similar just struggling to find whole lot different or similar between my modern lectern and my more basic antique lectern... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5 A55A55IN8R

Making this bad boy here, just about finished it now, teacher says It'll be good if I make the buttons work so may aswell if Im gonna go for an A haha

ils21hl600.jpg
    Hey, I'm picking this lectern too! I'm halfway through my design feature comparison and i was just wondering is there enough parts to achieve full marks? Our teacher says 10 to 13 substantial parts are neccessary but I've been finding it hard to find an appealing lectern that has that many parts? how has everyone else been finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

3 parts OL 5 parts HL required for the project

• Registered Users Posts: 5 A55A55IN8R

seavill wrote: »
    3 parts OL 5 parts HL required for the project
    Thanks for the reply yeah thats the official minimum but for maximum marks 10 parts with a nice degree of difficulty is required, I've found finding a lectern that meets those requirements isn't easy...

Yes a degree of difficulity is required to get the maximum marks, however 10-13 parts are certainly not required.
    There has never been a figure given out to receive the maximum marks. Technically if you do everything correctly and there is a degree of difficulty you can get full marks with only 5 parts.
    Do 13 parts poorly or not mated correctly etc. you will still not get full marks, however you will waste a huge amount of time doing this.

There is a minimum and that is all. You should do however many is required without going overboard. If you do 6 parts perfectly you will receive full marks. Saying you must hit 10 or 13 makes no sense particularly when the lectern, as you say yourself, is very difficult to break into that many parts.

I've got about 10 parts with more to come, they add up over time.
    What did everyone do for the comparing and contrast, I have nothing done only Solidworks so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3 omgwatsbehindu

Have to have Output 1,2 and 3 done by next Monday. Haven't even started on solid works yet. Am I really behind?

Practice it at home now so that once you are in school you won't waste time trying to figure things out.

Despite what people think it is hugely important to do the outputs in order. Each output leads into the next and by going back afterwards and filling in outputs 1,2,3 based on what you did in output 4 will be obvious to the examiner. If you have done it the other way around there is nothing you can do about it now but just try to make sure all your pages link in and make sense like your 14 pages are telling a story from start to finish and make sense

If you are only starting output 4 now you are fine. Again spend time at home practicing how to draw each part until you have it perfected, take notes if you need to, and then once you are in school you can fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

A55A55IN8R wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply yeah thats the official minimum but for maximum marks 10 parts with a nice degree of difficulty is required, I've found finding a lectern that meets those requirements isn't easy...

In fairness 10 parts is riduculous, espcially for laying out the elevation, end elevations etc. it will be too cluttered. a lad in our school got a perfert project last year and the year before one of the lads got a perfect DCG exam 400 out of 400 AND did an extra question.

they both did 5 parts for the solid works. Quality not quantity in a project like this

• Advertisement

On output 3 at the minute, what are people doing in terms of layout? Does one large rendered freehand sketch of the lectern surrounded by some smaller "zoomed in" sketches sound good?

On output 3 at the minute, what are people doing in terms of layout? Does one large rendered freehand sketch of the lectern surrounded by some smaller "zoomed in" sketches sound good?

Sounds good id say but im not the examiner, it's what I'm doin anyways along with a few other bits maybe

Grand... and for solidworks lads, is it possible to edit a loft so that it is lofting onto a different sketch. The first one I drew has inaccurate measurements and a lot of my other parts were sketched on planes parallel to this so would I need to start the whole thing again or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Anyone have a link for tips? that we could understand :p thanks

Output 7 hmmm ny bright ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Output 7 hmmm ny bright ideas?

Jaysus are you that far already?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eoinryan8975

hey I think I just got f**ked over by my DCG teacher, everything was going grand, well so I taught but then I went into my grinds teacher yesterday while he was looking over my project, he was very shocked. In my project I had everything done up to the solidworks and was half way through, my own school teacher said everything was brilliant and that it's looking ''A'' standard, buuuuut my grinds teacher said I need to do out a solidworks first on one crap one then do a second solidworks drawing with my new modified one is this true :/

hey I think I just got f**ked over by my DCG teacher, everything was going grand, well so I taught but then I went into my grinds teacher yesterday while he was looking over my project, he was very shocked. In my project I had everything done up to the solidworks and was half way through, my own school teacher said everything was brilliant and that it's looking ''A'' standard, buuuuut my grinds teacher said I need to do out a solidworks first on one crap one then do a second solidworks drawing with my new modified one is this true :/

yeah you need 2 solidworks one's I think.

One built on Solidworks and one sketched for compare/contrast for part A.

Then a second one for part B where you build a new one or modify an existing one

Firstly saying you need to do a solidworks one on a crap one is completely incorrect. You need to do two objects in solidworks.

Do you mean you had your own concept design done in solidworks for part B (output 9) or do you mean you were doing you solidworks parts for part A output 4.
    The answer to this will decide what advice to give from here on.

Have you output 1,2 done?

• Advertisement

Im confused... I thought we only use solidworks twice - once for existing aretefact, and once for new concept design/mod??

And for output 7, is it advisable to do a theme, target market or specified location for the concept design? Cheers.

Advertisement