Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 2 - "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And in this episode we're going to learn that Rory's a wizard: his Dad is Arthur Weasley!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Swapped out the trailer for a teaser scene instead - much more interesting - and features Inspector Lestrade!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The writer has a bit of a rep, right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chris Chibnall? Sorta, though the reputation isn't entirely deserved. He wrote mostly for Torchwood, and his episodes were beyond awful & adolescent. On the other hand, his Dr. Who work has been solid: he wrote '42' and the Silurian double-bill from Series 5 which I thought were pretty good by all accounts. He also wrote a few episodes of Life on Mars, which gets him a pass in my book.

I liked 42, which was why I asked...

I'm not up on who wrote what on Torchwood, but I'll give him a free pass on the strength of 42 alone, I enjoyed that a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

"Only my balls." Stay classy Doctor Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's all a bit too daft for me so far..

.. but strange to see (or hear) Mitchell & Webb pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Nice fun episode compared to the opener! Completely unrelated to the whole story ark though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Bit of a goof. Why was the doctor not found on yer man's database though? Surely they didn't delete his entry 'cos they thought he's supposed to be dead. (Unless he said he was using a Dalek Database? My pic was intermittent round about then)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Nice fun episode compared to the opener! Completely unrelated to the whole story ark though

I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Bit of a goof. Why was the doctor not found on yer man's database though? Surely they didn't delete his entry 'cos they thought he's supposed to be dead. (Unless he said he was using a Dalek Database? My pic was intermittent round about then)

Well if he's dead then the computer can't match what its seeing to anything on its list, but then how did it identify nephritite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

S'alright, not a Doctor's Wife classic or anything but a good bit of fun.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So-so for me. It wasn't awful, but I'm a bit tired of the Doctor popping off and "collecting" the Ponds with months of gaps etc. If anything it's making me want them gone already. It is also hard to buy into in a weekly show, even one about time travel. Move on, show, move on..

Rory's Dad, Nefrititi etc just seemed a bit lobbed in for the sake of it. With no back story to them it was hard to care who they were or why they were chosen. With all the people the Doctor has met in the past..why them?

(btw you would have thought the Doctor would have met Rory's dad at the wedding, no?)

As a stand alone episode it was a fun concept if the unneeded stuff had of been stripped out.

Speculation:
    I'm guessing the Doctor being forgotten across space and time is the series arc, and it will have implications to come

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I really really doubt that's a goof. Last season there was a big deal about how famous he is, two episodes into this one and we have two sets of records being wiped of him. Some sort of plotline for the Christmas episode to reveal? (Christmas has been mentioned in both episodes and from the series 7 trailer it'll be mentioned in the next one too)

Perhaps he travelled to Gotham City and borrowed the Clean Slate programme from the Dark Knight Rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

Meh, I didn't love it... Twas grand but nothing to get excited about. Next week looks more of the same but I'm looking forward to eps 4 and 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ríomhaire wrote: »
    I really really doubt that's a goof. Last season there was a big deal about how famous he is, two episodes into this one and we have two sets of records being wiped of him. Some sort of plotline for the Christmas episode to reveal? (Christmas has been mentioned in both episodes and from the series 7 trailer it'll be mentioned in the next one too)

Perhaps he travelled to Gotham City and borrowed the Clean Slate programme from the Dark Knight Rises.

Oh I know. Poor choice of words on my account. I meant the episode was a bit of a goof :) The look on his face was interesting when it was searching. (Although I did think they overdid all the concerned and sad knowing looks he was giving Amy. We get it, he knows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Oh I know. Poor choice of words on my account. I meant the episode was a bit of a goof :) The look on his face was interesting when it was searching. (Although I did think they overdid all the concerned and sad knowing looks he was giving Amy. We get it, he knows)

he knows what?

The references to him playing the music - I was there with schubert - make no sense. Schubert didnt record his stuff.

I thought it was breezy fun, nothing special but not every story is going to be a insta-classic like Doctors Wife or Blink. The lack of a substantial plot arc makes the stories feel a bit random & loose I suppose, maybe there's something to be said for a season-spanning storyline. Even so, it shows the high standards the show exists at these days I guess. It's enough for me that I had fun watching it, and enjoyed the various beats and ticks.

The SFX was decent & I liked the concept with the Silurian ark (ties in to the old series in a way); and even if the Queen & Riddell were completely pointless in terms of the story, the banter was enjoyable.

Mild fan of Mitchell & Webb, so it was a nice surprise to hear their voices of the robots & their snarky incompetency fitted David Mitchell to a tee hehe
    Oh I know. Poor choice of words on my account. I meant the episode was a bit of a goof The look on his face was interesting when it was searching. (Although I did think they overdid all the concerned and sad knowing looks he was giving Amy. We get it, he knows)

I didn't read it that he knows anything, I think he just didn't like being reminded that all things being equal, he'll outlive his friends no matter how close they become.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Thin on plot but good fun for the most part and I enjoyed it more than last week. The thing with Moffat's maybe-answer-questions-later policy is that now I'm left with an uncomfortable wait to find out whether the Doctor's a killer or not...

And as I said elsewhere, I didn't like the twist that Rory's pa is a cardboard cutout. ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone else wondering why the silurian specifically mentioned 1 species did not survive? The line is never expanded on...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Anyone else wondering why the silurian specifically mentioned 1 species did not survive? The line is never expanded on...

Probably alluding to cave men or like.

I thought the Doctor doesn't kill?!?

He killed Solomon easily enough without so much as a by-your-leave.

Granted, I'm no Whovian or such, but I can't recollect any villain dying as a direct result of the Doctor's action - he may as well have just **** the guy himself.

A rather sinister turn that was just ignored, especially considering the episode was just intended as nothing more than fun.

pixelburp wrote: »
    and even if the Queen & Riddell were completely pointless in terms of the story, the banter was enjoyable.

I agree. They didn't even get much screen time either.

Plus he said having a "gang" was new but this happened before in that episode Battle of Demon's Run.

And that made even less sense. I don't think any of those characters had ever even been seen before - which added the element of it didn't matter a damn who lived or died.

BTW, does the Doctor only have two lives left?

Is his regeneration limit still in place or have Moffat and company decided to throw that out?

In either case, his he heading for a time when a teenager or younger will be taking the role?

InisMor wrote: »

The Doctor has killed indirectly many, many times, but I think this is the most blatant one where he could have saved him.

Knowing Moffat, there'll be some reason behind this.

They've thrown out the regeneration limit, in passing in an episode of Sarah Jane Adventures where Matt Smith shows up.

InisMor wrote: »

Granted, I'm no Whovian or such, but I can't recollect any villain dying as a direct result of the Doctor's action - he may as well have just **** the guy himself.

A rather sinister turn that was just ignored, especially considering the episode was just intended as nothing more than fun.

Last week he allowed millions of daleks to die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the guy committed genocide, the doctor doesn't like that at all

and he killed the poor dino :(

bluewolf wrote: »
    the guy committed genocide, the doctor doesn't like that at all

and he killed the poor dino :(

He didn't ask if the guy deserved it, which he clearly did :(

Who'd kill a puppy triceratops?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Far from it. From this (and others like it) down to entire races (he killed all the Time Lords).

Reminds me of the episode "The Doctor's Wife" where house goes "Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords" and the Doctor replies "Fear me...I've killed all of them".

He doesn't like killing/letting people die..but he's done it many times!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Who'd kill a puppy triceratops?!
    mmm Dino-Burger mmm.

Advertisement