Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Club session tonight which I really enjoyed - twenty minutes hard core work and some good fartlek work and lots of stretching - just what the doc ordered. :D

Felt really good and strong total 5 miles with cool down and warm-up .

Home to a beer and watch the champions reclaim their trophy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tom Joad wrote: »
    So do I basically just pick the appropriate distance plan for the quality sessions at the back of the book and fill out the rest from say the blue plan?? Me head is melted at this stage :confused:

Have u got the p&d advance marathon book?
    It has a day by day schedule
    Or are u looking at jd?

Have u got the p&d advance marathon book?
    It has a day by day schedule
    Or are u looking at jd?

JD running formula - never knew what P&D was until RunningKing explained it to me today!!

JD running formula - never knew what P&D was until RunningKing explained it to me today!!

If its the marathon your looking to do I would recommend p&d.
    Just it will help u alot more. I will move from jd 10k to p&d marathon and mix it up a bit.

Krusty is the man for jd questions.

If its the marathon your looking to do I would recommend p&d.
    Just it will help u alot more. I will move from jd 10k to p&d marathon and mix it up a bit.

Krusty is the man for jd questions.

ok thanks - have no plans to do marathon (this year anyway) - am focussing on 5k and 10k for the minute but will do race series 10mile and half marathon and then back to 5k and 10k stuff.

Will annoy Krusty on JD thanks :D

• Advertisement

ok thanks - have no plans to do marathon (this year anyway) - am focussing on 5k and 10k for the minute but will do race series 10mile and half marathon and then back to 5k and 10k stuff.

Will annoy Krusty on JD thanks :D

If doing jd 10k follow the q sessions. Add a long run at a easy pace.
    Have some recovery runs too. What I posted above earlier is what I did.

If doing jd 10k follow the q sessions. Add a long run at a easy pace.
    Have some recovery runs too. What I posted above earlier is what I did.
    Ok that makes sense - appreciate it.

Have also decided that Fingal 10k is the wrong race for me -there is a local one on June 9th which I might go for...(its around a lake - how hilly could it be :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

P&D also do a good book on 'Road Racing' - Road Racing for Serious Runners.

I've just got it and am really understanding the Vo2 max / Lactate Threshold stuff much better than the Adv Mar book or Daniels.
    No head melting stuff at all.

( http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=road+racing+for+serious+runners&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

Bought it new on Ebay as it was cheaper than Amazon.

P&D also do a good book on 'Road Racing' - Road Racing for Serious Runners.

I've just got it and am really understanding the Vo2 max / Lactate Threshold stuff much better than the Adv Mar book or Daniels.
    No head melting stuff at all.

( http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=road+racing+for+serious+runners&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

Bought it new on Ebay as it was cheaper than Amazon.

Ordered that today cheers - more light reading for me :D

7 mile in 56mins (8:00 pace) - nice easy recovery run..

• Advertisement

Had planned to do 6x1mile intervals today but day went against me time wise and when I went down to the track to do it there was a game on and 50 spectators on the track so improvised and done 7mile easy @ 8:00 pace - uneventful but lovely evening for it :). Will have to catch up with intervals Saturday morning as I've been roped into playing 5 a-side tomorrow..

7 mile in 56mins (8:00 pace) - nice easy recovery run..

8 min recovery run. Is that too fast. Usually do mine between 9 - 9:30.

8 min recovery run. Is that too fast. Usually do mine between 9 - 9:30.

JD says 7:38 to 8:08 for easy runs so I'm at the upper end of that - have always worked at LSR's and easy runs at roughly 8min pace - it might sound funny but I find it hard to have any kind of consistent running or pace if I slow it down any more!!

JD says 7:38 to 8:08 for easy runs so I'm at the upper end of that - have always worked at LSR's and easy runs at roughly 8min pace - it might sound funny but I find it hard to have any kind of consistent running or pace if I slow it down any more!!

Its what works for u. It recommended for me 8:57 but I think its dropped now after sat runs. 8:30 seems comfty now.

See what marathon training does next.

Just check the vdot. Gone from 45 8:57 to 49 8:40 :)

Start working on this so.

Forgot to say the other night that the mcmillan calculator is another good source.
    I have hedley notes too in pdf format if u want them, pm me.

Friday 26th
    Cross training - Played a game of 5- aside (in a hail storm too :eek:)
    45 mins core training - have neglected this recently so trying to get more disciplined.

Saturday 27th

6 x 1mile at Threshold Pace - went with Daniels plan which put me down for 6:44 pace. So session was

1mile warm-up

Mile 2: 6:22 (started way too quick but managed to reign it in)
    Mile 3: 6:38
    Mile 4: 6:42
    Mile 5: 6:42
    Mile 6: 6:40
    Mile 7: 6:43
    (with 3 min recoveries between miles)

1 mile warm down

Total 8 Miles

Was dreading this session as thought it would kill me plus had to do it at 6am this morning but actually really enjoyed it and nice feeling to have a tough session done before anyone else in the house was awake :). Took the family to the zoo for the rest of the day (probably done another 8 mile walking :D)

I was just going to post that the 6:44 seems slow for you, then I seen the time you done it at.
    Many Kudos!

Where'd the 6:44 come from on Daniels?
    If you think you are in sub 40 shape, then Daniels would be saying 6:17 (vdot of 54).
    Even if its a lower vdot, 6:44 seems slow.

The fact that you enjoyed it may point to it being too slow :)

I was just going to post that the 6:44 seems slow for you, then I seen the time you done it at.
    Many Kudos!

Where'd the 6:44 come from on Daniels?
    If you think you are in sub 40 shape, then Daniels would be saying 6:17 (vdot of 54).
    Even if its a lower vdot, 6:44 seems slow.

The fact that you enjoyed it may point to it being too slow :)

Way to p1ss on my parade man!! :D:D

That's according to 5k to 15k plan - threshold pace based on my 5k PB. Current vdot of 51 again based on PB over 5k - I'm using this as my guide as I've actually achieved it an sub-40 for me is still a bit of a pipe dream at the moment - that will have changed in 8 weeks time though :D

I don't think I could do that session at 6:17 at any time of the day :eek:

this ain't no back slapping sort of log.......apparently too much of that going on :)

Daniels doesn't prescribe a pace for mile intervals - what he prescribes is a pace for a Threshold .

I just reread your post and you were actually planning a threshold pace run - so the times were correct. Great running!! ( :) )

Just FYI though........

Using other sources of info - the mile pace, based on a vdot of 51 says mile intervals are to be done at 6:18.

If you look at this,
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/VDOT_Results?Distance=4&Hours=0&Minutes=19&Seconds=36&Temperature=&TempUnits=Fahrenheit&Weight=&WeightUnits=Pounds&Mileage=

It doesn't give a pace for mile intervals, but 1200's are meant to be done at 6:10 pace, so I'd say 1600 repeats are to be done at 6:18(ish)

hope it helps!!

Cheers for the link - interesting reading

Thought I was getting this terminology :D - yeah it was threshold session rather than intervals...

If you click on the vdot calculator on the last and plug in details like previous times, weight etc, it'll throw out even more interesting stuff!

• Advertisement

10 mile LSR - 80mins (8:00 pace) - horrible weather again but nice comfortable run.

Weekly total: 5 sessions , 37 miles + 2 core sessions

Next week is a pig of a week work wise with lots of travel so will be a real struggle to get running in - so will need to be creative - could be some 5 am runs but also could be some midnight runs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Great time Tom would love that speed you have

Managed to get out this morning for my run @ 5:30 - it was like back in January with the frost and dark morning but got 7 mile done in 55:22 so happy with that.

Would love to have a nice flashy table or even a graph to close off the month's work but am completely useless at that stuff - so here goes old skool :cool:

Monthly total was 125.7 miles which is a big increase on previous months

Jan: 57 miles
    Feb: 78 miles
    Mar: 87.45 miles
    April: 125.7 miles
    YTD: 348.15 miles

Happy with the months mileage and training which is a big plus - also happy that I have a good solid plan to give me a good crack at sub-40 10k before i move onto HM training..
    In May the only race I will be doing is a local 5k where I hope to shave another bit off my PB.
    Only downside this month was couple arsé I made of k-club 10k but I learned a lot from that experience!! :rolleyes:

Onwards and upwards :D

Another crazy o'clock run this morning but good to get it done..

10X400mtrs @ 5k pace with 200mtrs jog recovery. Jack D plan put pace at 1:32.

Done all intervals between 1:24 and 1:29 (except 1 at 1:21!!)

Total mileage: 5 miles - tough session but good to get it done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Fair play Tom, good solid running

Missed the last two days as was travelling so glad to get out for a run this evening. Done 7 miles in 57:10 (8:10 pace) - bit slower than usual but was daydreaming and never checked the watch once so wasn't watching pace or anything..

Today was meant to be a LSR of 12 mile but got a call late last night for Athletic Club - I'm running a 100mtrs :eek::eek: and a 3k tomorrow in county track and field championships. Curious to see how I get on at the 3k (Mcmillan says 11:03 based on my 5k PB) but 100mtrs could be embarrassing..

Track & Field Championship:

Its a full 20 years since I took part in a track and field event and I wondered just what the hell I had agreed to when I arrived at the track. I was told that everything was running at least an hour behind schedule and I was starving at that stage.

Done a 2k run just to limber up and keep warm while I was waiting with another few lads from the club. Was then told I was needed for the relay (4X100) - I was never any good at sprinting even in my younger days and always favoured the longer runs. One of the lads from the club was determined we were going to win and was a bit apprehensive when I told him I hadn't run a relay in 20 years and also wanted to swop the baton from my left hand to right (seemingly increasing the chances I would drop it :eek:) - I was planking it at this stage but said nothing. Was also hoping to run the first or the last leg to minimise my chances of fecking up the handover but was told I was to have the second leg.

One quick practise of a changeover and I was at my starting point - Was surprised that my teammate was so quick getting to me and realised he had built a bit of a lead and thankfully I didn't mess up the changeover. I actually managed to increase our lead in my leg :eek::eek:. Our third guy was very strong and the 4th lad finished comfortably to land us a gold medal - chuffed with that but didn't have much time to even warm down as 100mtrs was scheduled to start. Finished 4th in that which I was happy enough with as sprinting is not my strength and I spent more time worrying about staying in my lane.

Next up was the main event for me the 3k. Was a big field of nearly 20. I was quite worried warming up as I was feeling twinges in my calfs, hamstrings and groins after the two sprints. Race got off with no fuss (10 laps off the track). After the first bend I was in 5th place and stayed there for first two laps. First two runners bombed off at this stage and I knew the pace was way too hot for me and was still feeling twinge so played safe and stayed where I was - was starting to feel the pace by lap 4 and was puffing hard but so where two lads with me - passed them both during lap 5 and started to feel confident as I was leaving them behind me. Laps 6 and 7 felt good and started lapping people on lap 8 which brought my pace up - got lapped myself just before the final lap but knew that barring a disaster 3rd was mine - so just minded myself on the last lap and came home 3rd in 11:20 - which is a PB (since I've never run this distance before :D).

My young lad came to watch me so he was thrilled with the two medals - he told me he won them for being the best supporter!!

Done another 2k warm down with the lads from the club.

Total today 5miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice work there Tom :D

Very impressive haul for such short notice :D

Advertisement