Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Thursday was a rest day as was asked to play 5 aside on Friday. Friday played a tough game on the astro turf.

This evening done 6 mile in 47:48 (7:58 pace) - legs felt heavy and tired but happy to have got the run in - and it felt like spring :D first time I wore a short sleeve top this year.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Those 1k splits are very solid Tom. It shows you'll should be knocking more chunks off your 5k time very soon.

LSR - 9 mile in 72 mins even (8:00 pace) - one of them horrible runs were everything is sore tight and achey :(. Reckon it was a combination of race last weekend, increase in mileage and tough speedwork session and first game of 5 a side in 3 weeks and a 5 mile walk by the river with the family an hour before.

Anyway 6 months ago I would have given up after a mile but glad I soldiered on and got the miles done and happy with the pace esp as it was quite a hilly course.

Need to put some bodyglide on the shopping list after this though - I'm not too proud to admit that I had to borrow my 4 month olds nappy cream to soothe my chaffing :o. I'm sure she will tell her therapist about it in years to come.

Also realised that I made an arse of my K-Club registration by entering the wrong e-mail address so hopefully I can rectify that.

Anyhow weekly total: 31 miles and a game of 5 a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

How much are you increasing your millage by

Darren 83 wrote: »
    How much are you increasing your millage by

Only about 5 miles a week but feels like more!

• Advertisement

5 mile in 38:30 (7:42 pace)

Delighted to get out for a run as had to take a rest day yesterday as I felt crap - dodgy stomach and aches in my legs. Only felt marginally better today but felt the need to get a run in at lunchtime. Felt ok during and after it so happy out :).

6 Mile in 47:20 (7:53 pace) - still felt crap whatever is wrong with me so happy to get this run in even if it was drudgery. Asked to play a game of ball today so that will be my cross training for this week and intervals tomorrow.

5 x 1k intervals -

1k warm-up @ 4:40 pace

1k - 3:35
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:36
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:36
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:41
    3 min rest
    1k - 3:42
    1k warm-down run

Really struggled with this as still feeling the effects of whatever bug I've still got - was fecked after it too but just glad to get it done - hopefully this bug will go soon.:mad:

Total: 5.5 miles

5 mile recovery run in 39:48 (7:58 pace) - Happy with this - nice and slow and felt ok for the first time this week so hopefully over this bug..:) We'll see tomorrow - am down for a 10mile LSR..

10 Mile in 79:40 (7:58 pace) - good run and felt good all the way around even with the rain and strong wind - first run this week I haven't felt like crap :)

Weekly total: 5 sessions - 31.5 miles & a game of 5 a-side

Next week will be fairly low mileage with 10k race on Saturday..

• Advertisement

6 Mile in 46:38 (7:46 pace) - nice run felt good and relaxed the whole way around - helped by the lovely calm spring evening...

5 x 400mtr intervals - wasn't sure what to do with this session so went back to the plan I was allegedly following - haven't looked at it in weeks :rolleyes:.

Anyhow plan said 5 x 400mtrs - done then all between 1:17 and 1:19 and some that was into the wind :).

1k warm-up and down for a total of 4 mile..

tomorrow will be my last run before 10k Saturday - plan says 1-3 mile..

3 Mile in 24 mins flat - nice and easy run and not taking any chances between now and Saturday... Roll on the k-club :D

Bhaa 10k - K Club

Today was always going to be a memorable day - I had a nice course, great training done and a real crack at sub-40 ahead of me followed by a nice ramble across country and a all-Ireland semi-final with Cavan in it (a real rarity)

I could only influence the first bit and felt good about it. Left home early feeling great - even had to go back for sunscreen :eek::cool:. Had a 2hr drive listening to The Boss so felt great when I got to the K-Club - had decided to try and hold 4 min kms for as long as possible and take it from there.

Was only out of the car when I met Running King, met Dave McMahon, Career_move and beedyube before the race and lined up near the front with beedyube. We were both feeling confident and decided to work together.

1st Km felt good and strong -3.50 so bang on target. 2nd km was under 4 again so felt good. 3rd km was 4mins so again to plan but things quickly began to unravel, legs started to feel very heavy but put it down to nerves and race day and a bit of heat. Kept going but was quickly feeling worse and worse but still was ahead of target at 4km - I knew I was fecked though but decided that would keep going as long as I could as beeduybe looked to be running well and didn't want to leave him out on his own. Got to 5km in 19:50 but knew I was in deep trouble so let beeduybe know that I was going to walk and wished him luck. Felt bad about that as he looked puzzled to say the least.

Stopped the watch and walked for a bit until Running_King came by and gave me a shout of encouragement - that lifted me and forced me to run again but was feeling worse a short time later. Got to 6km and by now ended up getting sick in the ditch. Seen Career_move go by at this stage and had a vague plan that I would try to follow her to give me something to aim for out of the race. Another plan that went awry as was sick again after the water stop (I never stop for water in 10ks). Anyhow eventually got going and got the last 2kms done fairly strongly - didn't have any sort of finish in the legs though. Crossed the line with clock at 43:52 (nearly 3mins off PB).

Met Beeduybe after who was disappointed with his result but then met DaveMcMahon who got his PB. Waited around to see did RunningKing make it home and was happy to see he did - he had a day like me:rolleyes:.

Had to leave quickly to get to Tullamore - we lost :rolleyes:

Had a lot of thinking time after the race to figure out what went wrong. I have figured that am going out too quick and my 5km strategy of going out hard and hanging on won't work over 10km - so need to reassess that. Next 10km for me is Fingal 10k so have a bit of time to train and have another crack at this sub-40 - will figure a new plan out tomorrow..

Crap day running and football wise but was great to meet so many boardsies and will be back to K-Club as was really well organised..

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Not to worry tj. Now you know what you need to work on.

Im laughing to myself here. You had a bad day, walked and still finished 15 odd seconds faster than my pb....

upthe19th wrote: »
    Not to worry tj. Now you know what you need to work on.

Im laughing to myself here. You had a bad day, walked and still finished 15 odd seconds faster than my pb....

Cheers for that - back to the drawing board a wee bit for me.

You'll be blitzing them times soon with your training and once you get that injury sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice honest report J, just one of those days for us both.
    Nice meeting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice to meet you tj :D Hard luck on the race. You're training has been great though so I'm sure it won't be long before you smash that sub 40!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Nice to meet you yesterday. Pity we didn't get the result we were looking for but sub 40 will come in time.

Cheers folks - a day like yesterday will make the sub 40 all the sweeter when it comes :D:D.

Am researching a plan to get me there - would love to have a crack at Dunshauglin 10k but that weekend is not good for me so have 13 weeks until race series 10k. In the meantime have a club 5km 5 weeks away so hopefully will take another chunk off my 5k time.

Got a copy of Daniels' Running Formula today so will read that tonight with interest.

Also figured out I need a Garmin and to get my heart rate monitor working to maximise training - have a birthday coming up so must drop hints to the wife re the Garmin :D:D.

Oh and weekly total 19.2 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Sorry to hear about the race Tom. You'll have plenty more races to put that right. A few boardies seem to have struggled on the course after 3k for some reason so you know you're definitely not alone!

Nothing can be done about the U21s I'm afraid!

I have Daniels & P&D's Marathon books, but I also got P&D's 'Road racing for serious runners' and its a very good read.
    A bit easier to understand than both Daniels & the P&D Marathon version and has specific chapters for races of 5k to HM.

I'm thinking of changing my HM training plan to one in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Unlucky on missing your target. But a pb is a pb.

If fingal 10k is the one thats part of the dcm race series i wouldn't be targeting it as a sub 40. I was supposed to do it last year but was sick. However I read the comments from lots of people afterwards and so many were complaining of the hills.

I have Daniels & P&D's Marathon books, but I also got P&D's 'Road racing for serious runners' and its a very good read.
    A bit easier to understand than both Daniels & the P&D Marathon version and has specific chapters for races of 5k to HM.

Right I know I'm going to sound like your man "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" but wtf is this P&D stuff ? (have seen a couple of people mention it) :confused::confused:

Daniels is wrecking my head - most of it is hard science thats way over my head but will stick with it to see what the plans are like.

I don't want to overanalyze this and do something silly and get injured - been there before!! especially when I know that I went off too quick and treated the race just like a 5k (go hard and hang one sure its only a few mile!) but know I have a good base down and need to train smarter not harder.

guinang wrote: »
    Unlucky on missing your target. But a pb is a pb.

If fingal 10k is the one thats part of the dcm race series i wouldn't be targeting it as a sub 40. I was supposed to do it last year but was sick. However I read the comments from lots of people afterwards and so many were complaining of the hills.

Unfortunately was about 3 mins off PB :o

Your right about the Fingal 10k - done it last year in 41:26 but it had some tough hilly bits but there was also some nice downhills - decisions, decisions..

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Right I know I'm going to sound like your man "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" but wtf is this P&D stuff ? (have seen a couple of people mention it) :confused::confused:

Daniels is wrecking my head - most of it is hard science thats way over my head but will stick with it to see what the plans are like.

I don't want to overanalyze this and do something silly and get injured - been there before!! especially when I know that I went off too quick and treated the race just like a 5k (go hard and hang one sure its only a few mile!) but know I have a good base down and need to train smarter not harder.

http://www.therunningreview.com/?p=81

I think its easier to understand than Daniels. It does talk about the science behind it etc, but the plans are easier to follow - so less head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bhaa 10k - K Club

Today was always going to be a memorable day - I had a nice course, great training done and a real crack at sub-40 ahead of me followed by a nice ramble across country and a all-Ireland semi-final with Cavan in it (a real rarity)

I could only influence the first bit and felt good about it. Left home early feeling great - even had to go back for sunscreen :eek::cool:. Had a 2hr drive listening to The Boss so felt great when I got to the K-Club - had decided to try and hold 4 min kms for as long as possible and take it from there.

Was only out of the car when I met Running King, met Dave McMahon, Career_move and beedyube before the race and lined up near the front with beedyube. We were both feeling confident and decided to work together.

1st Km felt good and strong -3.50 so bang on target. 2nd km was under 4 again so felt good. 3rd km was 4mins so again to plan but things quickly began to unravel, legs started to feel very heavy but put it down to nerves and race day and a bit of heat. Kept going but was quickly feeling worse and worse but still was ahead of target at 4km - I knew I was fecked though but decided that would keep going as long as I could as beeduybe looked to be running well and didn't want to leave him out on his own. Got to 5km in 19:50 but knew I was in deep trouble so let beeduybe know that I was going to walk and wished him luck. Felt bad about that as he looked puzzled to say the least.

Stopped the watch and walked for a bit until Running_King came by and gave me a shout of encouragement - that lifted me and forced me to run again but was feeling worse a short time later. Got to 6km and by now ended up getting sick in the ditch. Seen Career_move go by at this stage and had a vague plan that I would try to follow her to give me something to aim for out of the race. Another plan that went awry as was sick again after the water stop (I never stop for water in 10ks). Anyhow eventually got going and got the last 2kms done fairly strongly - didn't have any sort of finish in the legs though. Crossed the line with clock at 43:52 (nearly 3mins off PB).

Met Beeduybe after who was disappointed with his result but then met DaveMcMahon who got his PB. Waited around to see did RunningKing make it home and was happy to see he did - he had a day like me:rolleyes:.

Had to leave quickly to get to Tullamore - we lost :rolleyes:

Had a lot of thinking time after the race to figure out what went wrong. I have figured that am going out too quick and my 5km strategy of going out hard and hanging on won't work over 10km - so need to reassess that. Next 10km for me is Fingal 10k so have a bit of time to train and have another crack at this sub-40 - will figure a new plan out tomorrow..

Crap day running and football wise but was great to meet so many boardsies and will be back to K-Club as was really well organised..

Apparently the Fingal 10k is tough one, so maybe look for another one. The Docklands in Dublin have a flat 10k in June on Thursday night if that works?

Considering you got sick twice, if might not be your training that's gone wrong but maybe you had a virus that was unknown to you. Take a week off to be sure and then come back, and even do a 5k to see how you are.

Well done on Cavan winning, ye beat us Wexford last year !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Unfortunately was about 3 mins off PB :o

Your right about the Fingal 10k - done it last year in 41:26 but it had some tough hilly bits but there was also some nice downhills - decisions, decisions..

Well that makes more sense. I was reading somewhere that you'd done a 5k in under 20mins and was surprised that this time gave you a 3 min pb. So I re-read your race report. D'oh.

41.26 on that course is a great time by all accounts. If you already know it, then you know far more than me so obviously ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I used P&D for marathon training before, but it lacks in areas. I think the tempo runs need to be longer, thats my plan this year, to do tempo runs from 8-10 miles in marathon training one week, then speed work with club the following week.

The JD plan, i used that for Jan,Feb this year, as couldnt get to the club. Its speed sessions are good, as are tempos, but i cant managed 3 tough session in one week, so i stuck to 2.

Basically my plan was:
    Long Run (12 miles) (Mon)
    Quality One Session (Tues)
    Recovery/easy 5 miles (Wed)
    Quality Two Session(Thurs)
    Sat 7-10 miles easy

• Advertisement

I used P&D for marathon training before, but it lacks in areas. I think the tempo runs need to be longer, thats my plan this year, to do tempo runs from 8-10 miles in marathon training one week, then speed work with club the following week.

The JD plan, i used that for Jan,Feb this year, as couldnt get to the club. Its speed sessions are good, as are tempos, but i cant managed 3 tough session in one week, so i stuck to 2.

Basically my plan was:
    Long Run (12 miles) (Mon)
    Quality One Session (Tues)
    Recovery/easy 5 miles (Wed)
    Quality Two Session(Thurs)
    Sat 7-10 miles easy

So do I basically just pick the appropriate distance plan for the quality sessions at the back of the book and fill out the rest from say the blue plan?? Me head is melted at this stage :confused:

Advertisement