Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia WP8 Announcement today -LIVE

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Is it likely that the image stabilisation, and low-light performance features of the new Lumia 920 can be firmware-updated to the 808 pureview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No. They are hardware features not software.

Even if you could, why on earth would you. The 808 is better in low light.

For video it comes down to re sampling vs image stabilisation. I think you have to wait for someone to do that comparision.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Low-light Nokia Fakeview picture :pac:

taMQp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

I think the overriding point here should be that the camera on the Lumia 920 takes excellent low-light photos, has image stabilisation, and is therefore the best in it's class.

They probably shouln't have faked it, but that's marketing. Every iPhone advert has the sequence shortened, and images on it's screen edited for TV. Every car advert shows the top-spec model in the picture and the "from" price of the entry level model. Did your last McDonalds burger look like the picture?

TBH, I'm disappointed with it. I would have liked to see an anodised aluminium unibody design, , a "proper" PureView camera, an FM Radio, a memory card and a few other bits. It's not a real Nokia Flagship as the N95, and N8 were, but I'll probably still get it since I'm already due an upgrade on a very good value price plan.

Best in class? What class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

BostonB wrote: »
    Best in class? What class?
    From what's been shown so far it's probably the best camera phone that has been put into a high spec yet thin profile platform.

I could see more people baulking at an 808-esque set of dimensions (13.9mm with 17.95mm at the camera) on the 920 than I can those lining up to buy one, especially when it's compared to something like the Galaxy S3 with its 8.6mm profile.

Aside from the 808, it's the best camera that has been put in a phone. No Xenon flash, but hopefully the new OIS mitigates that for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I still can't help but think that this is the equivalent of a Betamax manufacturer wheeling out some fancy VCRs long after VHS has taken over. I wonder how big an ask is it for people who've gotten used to Android and have perhaps spent money on apps to ditch that for Windows 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Bambi wrote: »
    Did anyone else find it odd that nokia completely ignored the corporate/office features of WP8 in this launch? Aiming at a different market perhaps.

As WP8 hasn't been launched they can't go into it. They will have to wait for the Microsoft launch of WP8 to go into the ins and outs of it.

Both Nokia and Microsoft seem to be oblivious to the fact that you need to be ready to ship to market asap in todays phone market or people just lose interest

One advantage the Windows Phone has is its quick. The interface is much faster than Android on anything but the top end Android phones. Its also more streamlined using it as a phone. Every Android phone I use seems to have a different way of doing things. Even contacts don't work the same.

• Advertisement

I know, why can't they just come out and say "It'll cost €600 and will be release to networks next week".

Apple have that idea perfected, actually giving some meaning to the official launch. They do have thier own shops, which helps a lot, but a bit of cop-on from the marketing dept wouldn't go amiss.

Advertisement