Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia WP8 Announcement today -LIVE

Options
  • 05-09-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

just thought Id share the link to watch the LIVE unveiling of the new Windows Phone 8 Nokia phones which will start at 3PM Irish time.

Link:
    http://www.nokia.com/global/about-nokia/webcast/live/

It will be interesting to see what will be unveiled, people are expecting a WP with the same Pureview technology that was found in the Symbian 808 Pureview phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The Verge have a live blog too if you don't want a video stream

http://live.theverge.com/windows-phone-8-nokia-lumia-microsoft/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Does it have proper pureview or just a pimped up 8 megapixel sensor? (as rumoured)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

quad_red wrote: »
    Does it have proper pureview or just a pimped up 8 megapixel sensor? (as rumoured)

the 920 has a 12mp with pureview

edit: actually 12mp might be a mistake I think that was only a what it may have comment from some one else

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It is not pureview as on the 808, its the pureview name lobbed on a vastly inferior camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The "pureview" on this seems to be just image stabilzation? :/
    Such pretty hardware though

• Advertisement

The Samsung Ativ is comfortably the best WP8 launch phone to debut so far, lets see what HTC bring out next week.

the 920 has a 12mp with pureview

edit: actually 12mp might be a mistake I think that was only a what it may have comment from some one else

Nope. The rumours were right. It's an 8 megapixel sensor with image stabilisation stuff thrown in.

So it's Pureview - with no '41 megapixel' sensor, no lossless zoom, no depth of field.

Just some new image stabilisation stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

dloob wrote: »
    The Verge have a live blog too if you don't want a video stream

http://live.theverge.com/windows-phone-8-nokia-lumia-microsoft/
    Damn you this is way too distracting at work!!!! :mad:/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

to me it looks much the same with some fancier hardware.
    Was there anything groundbreaking or at least innovative announced

to me it looks much the same with some fancier hardware.
    Was there anything groundbreaking or at least innovative announced

Not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Wireless charging is included, which is pretty cool

The guy doing all the photography demonstrating is from MS, isn't he?

It's all software stuff. Skydrive integration yada yada. Taking multiple images to select the best.

Where is the proper pureview tech? Where is the 'instant on' camera functionality ala the SIII?

"Worlds most innovative smartphone" - my ass!

edit: the wireless charging is cool.

The guy doing all the photography demonstrating is from MS, isn't he?

Ye as they are introducing some of the new features of Windows phone 8 that haven't been officially announced until now he is doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It works with gloves, that's pretty cool. 4.5 is too big and im very happy with my lumia 800 but I hope this gets more converts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As someone who remembers having to charge a mobile off a charging dock, this wireless charging comes across as a bit of a gimmick. :pac:

Does the Nokia music service work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

omgz animated gif photo's! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

"Smart Shoot" sounds like a great gimmick if it worked! Removing moving objects from a photo!?

g0g wrote: »
    "Smart Shoot" sounds like a great gimmick if it worked! Removing moving objects from a photo!?

It does look cool.

As does the wireless charging.

But where in that presentation are the features that will have people sitting on the fence coming over?

And Ballmer - what planet are you from where you think people want to see your mug on their start screens? :D

axv1977.jpg

well that was slightly under whelming especially given it's closeness to the new iphone release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's not blowing me away. There is nothing fancy in the hardware with the exception of the wireless charging. That said it's the build quality and the WP8 software that will lure me in.

sink wrote: »
    It's not blowing me away. There is nothing fancy in the hardware with the exception of the wireless charging. That said it's the build quality and the WP8 software that will lure me in.

Wireless charging is a cack idea until we have an industry wide standard a la microusb for wired charging.

There's no guarantee the std adopted here will be the winning std, so no guarantee your next phone, unless it's a nokia will be able to use it. I have a touchstone for my touchpad, and its utterly pointless. It's as easy to plug in a bloody microusb cable as it is to put the phone on the wireless charger, and given all your devices use microusb you are likely to have plenty of them around the house.

They also charge you a good 30 yoyos minimum for each wireless charger. As I said at the start until theres an industry wide wireless charging standard its nothing but an expensive and pointless gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Inquitus wrote: »
    Wireless charging is a cack idea until we have an industry wide standard a la microusb for wired charging.

They also charge you a good 30 yoyos minimum for each wireless charger. As I said at the start until theres an industry wide wireless charging standard its nothing but an expensive and pointless gimmick.

yeah the galaxy s3 even has wireless charging but its not event lked abut because of the cost of the charger and benefits...
    i wiould like if a wireless charger came with a phone ofc. would be cool to have for sure either way. most of them work up to 5m if im correct so its a very nice little feature for the future

kenyard wrote: »
    most of them work up to 5m if im correct so its a very nice little feature for the future

No they work on contact. You must put the phone lying on top of, and touching, the charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

And Ballmer - what planet are you from where you think people want to see your mug on their start screens? :D

People who have him in their contact list! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nope. The rumours were right. It's an 8 megapixel sensor with image stabilisation stuff thrown in.

So it's Pureview - with no '41 megapixel' sensor, no lossless zoom, no depth of field.

Just some new image stabilisation stuff.
    I thought that this phone was going to deliver 808 image quality to a WP8 device? If the 920 fails to do this, then I fail to see any unique selling points to it. I have the 8MP camera on my E7 that doesn't have DOF and it's pretty shoddy compared to the competition. If the camera on the Lumia is anything like the E7 camera, then this phone is going to be behind the competition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think it looks beautiful tbh, I'll be very tempted when it comes out. I've been a very happy WP7 user for a year and a half, and I think I wont to stay with WP8. Hopefully my LG Optimus 7 doesn't die before this is out:o

I suppose I'll have to wait and see what the camera is like, I have high hopes for it, but it's a big priority for me.

I think it looks beautiful tbh,
    I don't think anyone questions that.

The problem I have is that Nokia seem to have went with style over substance with this device. All the successful phones have a niche. The Iphone has a reputation for usability. The SGS3 has a reputation for massive specifications. The Google Nexus has a reputation for a very slick and pure implementation of Android. I don't think it's enough that the Lumia 920 is just a pretty phone.

• Advertisement

Release date is Q4 for the two devices.

Elop (Nokia chairman) kept telling reporters who innovative this device was. So far at least, it's not clear where the innovation is to me - it's basically trying to be an iphone/SGS3.

Advertisement