Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Marines life/family life

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hi OP

I recall at one time the RM were considered among the more "Irish-friendly" branches of HM Armed Forces. I think they used to grant exemptions to ROI citizens from serving in the North - but I couldn't put my hand on the source.

I'm reading that comment again and for about the tenth time, and still cannot get my head around it.

'Irish friendly? What exactly does THAT little gem mean?

I have an almost totally Irish name [the very same first three names as Spike Milligan, AAMOF], an Irish father, and half-Irish mother, but never once in all the time I spent in the British Army was any comment, good, bad or indifferent regarding my 3/4 Irishness ever mentioned in my hearing, and I held every permanent rank between private and major. I did that without relying on any of my superiors being either pro-or anti Irish. I doubt very much that such a thing would have entered their collective heads

Not even as a recruit did I ever get called 'Paddy' or 'Mick' or referred to as a 'tick bog-trotter' nor did I get praised for my striking Irish wit, nor castigated for my lack of it.

In the British Army, you get on for how well you do what you are trained to do, not for your ethnicity, or lack of it.

The only time my name gave me any trouble was up north, where at that time a person in my rank and position having a name that a chief superintendent of the RUC usually associated with those of a more republican bent made him actually ask me about my religious leanings.

'I'm Jewish', I said. As I am. And showed him my ID to prove it.

He shut up and we got on fine.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I used to know a nice jewish girl, from Golders Green I think, called Siobhan Kelly. I meant exactly what I said - I recall being told years ago that, in view of potential sensitivities, the marines did not insist on ROI members taking postings in the North. Could have been garbage for all I know.

Perhaps I should have used the term "southern recruit sensitive" or possibly "politically correct". However PC would not describe the ex-marine that I am most familiar with indeed the idea has me laughing into my beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm reading that comment again and for about the tenth time, and still cannot get my head around it.

'Irish friendly? What exactly does THAT little gem mean?

I have an almost totally Irish name [the very same first three names as Spike Milligan, AAMOF], an Irish father, and half-Irish mother, but never once in all the time I spent in the British Army was any comment, good, bad or indifferent regarding my 3/4 Irishness ever mentioned in my hearing, and I held every permanent rank between private and major. I did that without relying on any of my superiors being either pro-or anti Irish. I doubt very much that such a thing would have entered their collective heads

Not even as a recruit did I ever get called 'Paddy' or 'Mick' or referred to as a 'tick bog-trotter' nor did I get praised for my striking Irish wit, nor castigated for my lack of it.

In the British Army, you get on for how well you do what you are trained to do, not for your ethnicity, or lack of it.

The only time my name gave me any trouble was up north, where at that time a person in my rank and position having a name that a chief superintendent of the RUC usually associated with those of a more republican bent made him actually ask me about my religious leanings.

'I'm Jewish', I said. As I am. And showed him my ID to prove it.

He shut up and we got on fine.

tac
    So tell us Tac, since you have a masters degree in something ( with honours of course ) have you ever served in the Israeli DF or maybe MOSSAD ? I'm sure you have a few tales to tell ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

I used to know a nice jewish girl, from Golders Green I think, called Siobhan Kelly. I meant exactly what I said - I recall being told years ago that, in view of potential sensitivities, the marines did not insist on ROI members taking postings in the North. Could have been garbage for all I know.

Perhaps I should have used the term "southern recruit sensitive" or possibly "politically correct". However PC would not describe the ex-marine that I am most familiar with indeed the idea has me laughing into my beer.

All soldiers in the BA from the republic or north could be exempt from service in the north if that's what they requested.

All soldiers in the BA from the republic or north could be exempt from service in the north if that's what they requested.
    Interesting. In the ' good old days ' when the Brits occupied all of Ireland, Irish regiments were sent to the far corners of the world while English, Scottish and Welsh ones were brought into the country to keep the natives in line. Wouldn't do at all to have all those Catholic/Nationalist Paddy's with guns in their hands in case of a rebellion now would it :);) Better to send the economic conscripts of Ireland to the far corners of the world wasn't it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

For an interesting outlook into the Training and duties of a Royal Marine Commando, Chris Terrill did an excellent documentary on 924 troop in which he followed them through training and out to Afghanistan also, all episodes can be found on YouTube and here is the first one

But here's the Marines that any Irishman would join if they had the choice -

Darn those US citizenship laws !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

For an interesting outlook into the Training and duties of a Royal Marine Commando, Chris Terrill did an excellent documentary on 924 troop in which he followed them through training and out to Afghanistan also, all episodes can be found on YouTube and here is the first one

But here's the Marines that any Irishman would join if they had the choice -

Darn those US citizenship laws !!!!

I think the Royal Marines would be preferable to the Marine corps.

Any person from Ireland who would move to the US for the sole purpose of joining the corp needs their head checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Advertisement

I think the Royal Marines would be preferable to the Marine corps.

Any person from Ireland who would move to the US for the sole purpose of joining the corp needs their head checked!
    :D:D

Aquila wrote: »
    Comparing the RMC's to the USMC is like comparing apples to pears unless you compare the RMC's to Recon marine but even then..
    Or comparing Danny Garcia or Lamont Peterson to Britain's Amir Khan :)

Yeah I wouldnt be doing it. RM are way more professional in my opinion. but thats just me
    But the relationship works like this: the Yanks tell the Brits what to do, and the Brits get to take what scraps fall from the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Yeah I wouldnt be doing it. RM are way more professional in my opinion. but thats just me

You've no experience in other organisation. It's quite the assumption to make.
    Aquila wrote: »
    Comparing the RMC's to the USMC is like comparing apples to pears unless you compare the RMC's to Recon marine but even then..

How is it comparing apples to pears?

They're both amphibious infantry forces.

Saoirsebiker - are you related to commietommie?

This thread seems to have degenerated into yet another Brit-bashing episode.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

tac foley wrote: »
    Saoirsebiker - are you related to commietommie?

This thread seems to have degenerated into yet another Brit-bashing episode.

tac

Seems like hes trying to persuade people to join the USMC which i believe is against the charter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

John Mongo wrote: »
    You've no experience in other organisation. It's quite the assumption to make.

How is it comparing apples to pears?

They're both amphibious infantry forces.

The Royal Marines are commandos, far longer and more demanding training to win the Green beret.

The tests to win the Commando Green beret go beyond that even of many countries Special Forces selection.

• Advertisement

A couple of true stories here from the former Commandant-General Royal Marines.....

Quote -

'Three weeks ago Captain John White, OC Recce Troop, 40 Commando, was blown up on patrol. Barely conscious, having lost both his legs and one of his arms, he sought to reassure his anxious Marines as they loaded his stretcher onto the MEDEVAC flight. “Don’t worry Boys, ‘gold’ in the Para Olympics Next!”

The Corps numbers 3% of the manpower of Defence, but constitutes 37% of the badged manpower of UK Special Forces

And Finally – my Boys are Imaginative and Innovated - One example:

The week I became Commandant General, Recruit Phillip Cain, 6 weeks into training contracted meningitis. Despite repeated multiple amputations to stem the spread of the disease, he very quickly died. His young and still inexperienced Troop were adamant that they would carry his coffin at his military funeral and were issued with Regimental Blues four months early to do so with exemplary precision and self-control. At the 7 month point, they duly completed their four Commando Tests and were, in time honoured tradition, given their green berets at the end of the 30 Mile March on Dartmoor. Philip Cain’s father was there too and received a piece of precious green felt from Prince Michael of Kent … for in spirit and soul his boy was also a proud Commando Soldier, since his Mates, on their own initiative, had carried his ashes throughout.'

Bless 'em all.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The Royal Marines are commandos, far longer and more demanding training to win the Green beret.

The tests to win the Commando Green beret go beyond that even of many countries Special Forces selection.

Once again from your vast hands on experience i take it:rolleyes:

Advertisement