Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Marines life/family life

Options
  • 04-09-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I am looking for infomation on the Royal Marines as i have allways had a keen interest in joining. I recently applied for the PDF but i was unsuccessful, I still want to be in the army. I understand from reading that the Royal Marines would not be easy but I am fit and my health is good as i have done the medical for the PDF and had no probloms. my questions would be about life of someone who is in it and how this would affect family life. I have sent in my details to them to get information from them aswell. any information on this would be good thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

beco2010 wrote: »
    I am looking for infomation on the Royal Marines as i have allways had a keen interest in joining.

You could try Googling for "Royal Marines".

FFS. Sometimes I wonder how many unique IP addresses are behind these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

Maoltuile wrote: »

Is there a rule on the forum about only asking questions that haven't already been asked on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

thanks for that as i had never tought of Googling as I have said i have looked at there webpage, I had hoped to get an insight from poeple that are surving that could tell me how life is. if I had got my answer from google i would not be here asking

thanks for that as i had never tought of Googling as I have said i have looked at there webpage, I had hoped to get an insight from poeple that are surving that could tell me how life is. if I had got my answer from google i would not be here asking

The solution is called ARRSE - http://www.arrse.co.uk/

Why you decided to ask on an Irish military forum is beyond me. Have you asked the same question on US, Canadian sites as well...?

The solution is called ARRSE - http://www.arrse.co.uk/

Why you decided to ask on an Irish military forum is beyond me. Have you asked the same question on US, Canadian sites as well...?
    sorry this can only be used for irish military quesions

• Advertisement

sorry this can only be used for irish military quesions

There are things that can't be said here about recruitment to foreign militaries, for legal reasons and in accordance with forum guidelines.

But my puzzlement is why you decided that rather than going to *very* easily accessible resources on the Internet connected to one particular foreign military, you just show up here.

There are things that can't be said here about recruitment to foreign militaries, for legal reasons and in accordance with forum guidelines.

But my puzzlement is why you decided that rather than going to *very* easily accessible resources on the Internet connected to one particular foreign military, you just show up here.
    what do you mean just show up here i have used this for military questions for while ,i dont get why me asking a question on a military fourm would bother you so much,

i will ask again to anyone who might know about how joining the Royal Marines may affect family life. maybe anyone who is in the BA could help

what do you mean just show up here i have used this for military questions for while ,i dont get why me asking a question on a military fourm would bother you so much,

Because it's you and every other who can't be bothered to go to more relevant pastures. And so the same silly questions get asked week in, week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The British Army is the Army, and the Royal Marines are part of the Royal Navy.

Different thing totally.

The RM are probably one of the VERY best fighting forces anywhere on the planet, especially the Arctic Warfare Troop.

They also have the RN equivalent of the SAS, the SBS.

If you already have a family and you are 'thinking of applying to join' be aware that you will be away from them for around six months or so to begin with.

You may already be too old, as well. Joining the Army is hard enough, joining the RM and earning your green beret is another level of training completely.

As noted, you'll need to ask in a Royal Navy recruiting offce, and not an Army recruiting office.

Loads of luck - you really are going to need it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

For info on joining the royal marines this site is pretty much your best friend.

http://prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

A while ago some genius's thread was blocked as he was asking about becoming an officer in the SAS :rolleyes: Appearently the same individual had asked about becoming various roles in the British DF's such as RAF pilot, Para, submariner etc :rolleyes:

And as I have stated before only a few days ago -

" It always gets me about these Einsteins on the forum who never think of lifting the phone and asking directly instead of going to all the trouble of posting questions on an internet forum where you could get wrong or deliberately misleading information ? smile.gif And it's not like they could search the forum to see if the question has been asked before smile.gif "

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80457736&postcount=18

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

For info on joining the royal marines this site is pretty much your best friend.

http://prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk/
    Obviously lifting the phone and asking directly wouldn't be a good idea.

Obviously lifting the phone and asking directly wouldn't be a good idea.

And obviously using an internet forum

a) owned by the Royal Navy
    b) where 99% of the posts are from potential Royal Marines
    c) where one of the most regular users is a RM Careers Advisor
    d) and where there are countless users who are currently serving Royal Marines

wouldn't be an excellent idea for someone who is thinking about becoming a Royal Marine.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

I am looking for infomation on the Royal Marines as i have allways had a keen interest in joining. I recently applied for the PDF but i was unsuccessful, I still want to be in the army. I understand from reading that the Royal Marines would not be easy but I am fit and my health is good as i have done the medical for the PDF and had no probloms. my questions would be about life of someone who is in it and how this would affect family life. I have sent in my details to them to get information from them aswell. any information on this would be good thanks

If you have done your medical when and why were you told you would not be recruited?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod: light touch mode]Maltouile, ease off a little please. The man's entitled to ask his question and as long as it's not off-topic for the forum, it's allowed pending reason for it not to be. There may be valid reasons for an Irishman to ask other Irishmen's opinions on their experiences and comparisons with Irish standards of life.

And the modutils doesn't come up with any significant IP matches.[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

The royal marines have a high drop out/injury rate during training.It is tough,you'll be pushed to the limit.Like the French foreign legion in a way,you'll be broken and then built back up in their likeness.

From my experience you'd probably have a good chance of a good career in the army as opposed to the marines.There are plenty of jobs and opportunities available within the army,apprenticeships,degrees etc etc etc.There's nothing worse than some lads coming out of military life with "i can fire a mortar" on their cv.

Also don't rule out the navy or the RAF,just be prepared that you'll never fly a plane or be in a submarine,and probably just watch television for your career :P

if you're looking for combat i'd recommend the Dragoons or rifles.

euddue wrote: »

Also don't rule out the navy or the RAF,just be prepared that you'll never fly a plane or be in a submarine,and probably just watch television for your career :P

The RAF is a no go area unless he's been living in the UK for the last 5 years.

The RAF is a no go area unless he's been living in the UK for the last 5 years.

i always thought it was certain jobs within the RAF that required UK residency for 5 years.

Also it might be worth noting that sometimes those rules don't apply to Irish citizens in certain circumstances.

i always thought it was certain jobs within the RAF that required UK residency for 5 years.

Also it might be worth noting that sometimes those rules don't apply to Irish citizens in certain circumstances.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/nationalityandresidency.cfm

It might have been only for certain jobs a few years ago.

Actually what kind of circumstances are they?

thank you all for your help I plan on ringing tomorrow. I went trough some of the process befor I had to do the Barb test. sorry if some of you found my question unneeded to this form I just wanted to find how your family life will suffer. as i live in ireland and it would be a big move for not only me but my famly aswell thank you all agian

• Advertisement

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/nationalityandresidency.cfm

It might have been only for certain jobs a few years ago.

Actually what kind of circumstances are they?

well when i was serving (Army),Irish citizens were seen as "naturally adapted" and with a little bit of wiggling the rule was bent a little.When they talk of nationality usually they talk of all outside Ireland and UK.It would be best to talk to an RAF recruiter,but back then Irish citizens joining weren't regarded as "foreign" (dual nationality access or a canadian joining for example) as such,and could join anything apart from flying aircraft,submarines and intelligence give or take two other things.

Also worth noting that if you get into an engineering job for example you can transfer.Not too sure how nationality works then.

thank you all for your help I plan on ringing tomorrow. I went trough some of the process befor I had to do the Barb test. sorry if some of you found my question unneeded to this form I just wanted to find how your family life will suffer. as i live in ireland and it would be a big move for not only me but my famly aswell thank you all agian

Well it's a big move to move anywhere with family,it could take a year to get in and then a while for basic so you have plenty of time to think things over and plan.The barb is a breeze as well as the other tests,get over 60 points and the world is you oyster ;)

well when i was serving (Army),Irish citizens were seen as "naturally adapted" and with a little bit of wiggling the rule was bent a little.When they talk of nationality usually they talk of all outside Ireland and UK.It would be best to talk to an RAF recruiter,but back then Irish citizens joining weren't regarded as "foreign" (dual nationality access or a canadian joining for example) as such,and could join anything apart from flying aircraft,submarines and intelligence give or take two other things.

Also worth noting that if you get into an engineering job for example you can transfer.Not too sure how nationality works then.

The nationality isn't an issue. An Irish citizen meets the nationality requirements, but doesn't meet the residency requirement.

Strangely this residency requirement is something only the RAF have. An Irish citizen can join any part of the British Army and any part of the Navy with the exception of an officer and as far as I'm aware clearance diver as well.

The nationality isn't an issue. An Irish citizen meets the nationality requirements, but doesn't meet the residency requirement.

Strangely this residency requirement is something only the RAF have. An Irish citizen can join any part of the British Army and any part of the Navy with the exception of an officer and as far as I'm aware clearance diver as well.

i don't think i put myself forward properly,basically they regard Living in Ireland as living in the UK in an under the table kind of way if that makes sense.

i don't think i put myself forward properly,basically they regard Living in Ireland as living in the UK in an under the table kind of way if that makes sense.

Ahh, I see. That's very interesting. I may have to have a visit to the old AFCO then.

Thanks for the info!

Ahh, I see. That's very interesting. I may have to have a visit to the old AFCO then.

Thanks for the info!
    as far as i know portadown takes all applications now for the republic opposed to palace barracks,so give them a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

thats not my understanding - though a) i'm not au fait with every rule or regulation, and b) the rules and regulations have some flexibility in their application - my understanding was that the residency requirements are being far more strictly applied than they have been. however, as is standard, once someone is in, and they prove themselves to be 'Pte Goodbloke', then all manner of doors that were closed to them before mysteriously open.

as always, if you want specific information about an entry requirement or particular trade, speak to an AFCO, no one else really knows what the situation is on the week-to-week basis that effects each potential recruit. the more information you have to hand, and the more the AFCO understands about what you want to do, then the quicker they'll be able to give you an answer, and the more precise that answer will be.

so, instead of walking into an AFCO and saying 'hi, i'm Irish and i want to join the RAF', say 'hi, i was born and brought up in the Republic of Ireland, both my parents were born in the RoI after 1949, and neither became British citizens - i'd like to join X, Y, or Z trades. can you tell me if i might be eligable?'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From the RN website http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/How-To-Join/Eligibility
    Nationality:

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens may join the Royal Navy or Royal Marines. However, certain career paths are only available to British citizens. Follow this link for details: Nationality Requirements for Career Options.

Note:

i. A waiver of the above requirements may be granted by the Secretary of State for Defence for candidates who are British citizens at the time of application regardless of place of birth or former nationality.

ii. In exceptional circumstances a waiver of these requirements may be granted by the Secretary of State for Defence to persons who are Commonwealth citizens or citizens of the Irish Republic at the time of their application regardless of place of birth or former nationality. Any person who seeks such a dispensation will have their case considered on its individual merits.

iii. Only candidates holding British nationality are eligible for the Submarine Service. No nationality waivers will be considered.

iv. These waivers will only be considered for those applying to enter service as a Royal Marines Commando or in the Royal Navy Surface Fleet.

In addition, whether or not you are of UK origin, you should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to making an application. In certain circumstances, particularly when an applicant is of UK origin or the country of residence is one where security checks can be carried out, a shorter period of residence may be accepted.

It's my understanding that Irish citizens can become a RN officer if, for example, they are qualified MN officers already. But I'm open to correction on this (idle chat in the officers bar).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi OP

I recall at one time the RM were considered among the more "Irish-friendly" branches of HM Armed Forces. I think they used to grant exemptions to ROI citizens from serving in the North - but I couldn't put my hand on the source.

I have served with ex marines in the RDF and as far as I know they loved it.

Your questions seem sensible to me. One option might be to contact a local branch of the British Legion.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/counties/ireland/contact-us/branches

They have reps/a branch in Cork. Ask them if they know of any ex Royal Marines locally who might be prepared to have a chat with you. Even if they haven't served for a while they might give you tips on what questions to ask in the recruiting office.

Advertisement