Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 shades of grey-Why so popular?

Options
  • 03-09-2012 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

So unless you've been living under a rock for the last 6 months, you are bound to have heared of this book.

As an avid reader and a fan of erotic literature,I was really looking forward to reading this much talked about book.I've just finished, and have to say while its not the worst book I've ever read,it really is not good. How people are still interested in reading the second and third book i will never know.

The first quarter of the book is quite engaging. There is a decent storyline and characters are interesting. But then it is just the same sex scene and same conversation between the two lovers over and over again, for the remaining three quarters of the book. I really am at a loss as to why this book is so popular.The sexual imagery and language used is appaling. I mean what self respecting women over the age of 15, would refer to her genitalia as 'my sex'?!

Far from being turned on, I felt anger and annoyance over a relationship which was esentially an annoying, lip biting, submissive,virginal woman being dominated and prostituted out to a wealthy,powerful man.

Why is this book so popular,please someone explain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

People are sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

It started off as Twilight fanfiction (apparently you can still find it on the internet if you look hard enough, which I have absolutely no intention of doing) but had the names changed to avoid legal liability. I think there's a clue somewhere in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

9e3d866d.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I saw a couple of little girls reading this the other day. They were about 9 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Honestly, it's the same reason crap like Jersey Shore is popular. It's been overhyped in the media and people like stuff that isnt too challenging.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »

Far from being turned on, I felt anger and annoyance over a relationship which was esentially an annoying, lip biting, submissive,virginal woman being dominated and prostituted out to a wealthy,powerful man.

Because a lot of people fantasise about being young submissive virginal girls, or being wealthy, powerful men who get to sleep with young girls?

Just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

WhyGoBald wrote: »
    It started off as Twilight fanfiction (apparently you can still find it on the internet if you look hard enough, which I have absolutely no intention of doing) but had the names changed to avoid legal liability. I think there's a clue somewhere in there.

i actually quite liked the Twilight books :o This is no similarity between this book and Twilight from what I could read.

Extra Gravy,that pic is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Some similarities between the two series:

Goodreads Similarities between 50 Shades and Twilight

Similarities between 50 Shades and "Master of the Universe" Twilight Fanfic by EL James

I thought they were quite alike in many ways personally, both stories about naive, drippy young women who hook up with guys with (IMHO, in 50 Shades anyway) psychotic stalker tendencies, to engage in an abusive/controlling relationship (at varying levels between the two series).

Except Christian Grey isn't sparkly :D

Oh and on topic, I think the books seem more popular than they are, a lot of people are reading them from curiosity (I for one read them because I had heard so many people going on about them). And in fairness they're so badly written, and the story is so far fetched that it's actually amusing. Apart from the fact they portray abuse as opposed to BDSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Because people like naughty stuff that is generally acceptable? Add to that the usual summer blockbuster and you have a winning formula.

I haven't read the books and I do read quite a bit of erotic stuff. After being hoaxed into reading davinci's Code and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I just couldn't be bothered with another badly written summer craze. Plus anything related to Twilight is a massive turn off for me. I haven't read the books, I found first movie so annoying I couldn't even last to the end. And I can usually at least fast forward through some pretty bad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I read the first one. I found it incredibly annoying though especially the "oh mys" and "inner goddess" tripe but I felt compelled to finish it. It is very badly written. It was embarrassingly unrealistic too. Christian Grey mentions at some stage that he earns €100,000 per hour:rolleyes::rolleyes: I didn't think it was very erotic/sexy/shocking either and I would consider myself on the prudish side. Started the second one but decided to read something else a few chapters in, I may or may not go back to it! Probably not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

Well I don't know one person who is reading it because they heard it was good-its all curiosity drawn from hype and over exposure. Saying that, the author is really modest about it all, hates publicity and spent her earnings on a volkswagen! It's safe to say i'm well jealous i didn't come up with the idea first-i'd be buying more than a volkswagen with the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I attempted to read it a few weeks back and couldn't get passed the 15th chapter.. I seriously thought it was the greatest load of crap going! I thought to myself 'am I the only woman that actually doesn't like Christian Grey?' lol.

I put it down and swore never to return to it.. Then picked up a decent book and read it in a night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

lindtee wrote: »
    I read the first one. I found it incredibly annoying though especially the "oh mys" and "inner goddess" tripe but I felt compelled to finish it. It is very badly written. It was embarrassingly unrealistic too. Christian Grey mentions at some stage that he earns €100,000 per hour:rolleyes::rolleyes: I didn't think it was very erotic/sexy/shocking either and I would consider myself on the prudish side. Started the second one but decided to read something else a few chapters in, I may or may not go back to it! Probably not though.

I'll leave the psychologists analyse that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

phasers wrote: »
    I saw a couple of little girls reading this the other day. They were about 9 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh what?! I didn't know it was possible to be more depressed by this book but that did it. Cheers, Phasers. :mad: :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone here read the likes of the story of OH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"the Story of O", Shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carbob

I have to say I read them all just to say I read them lol I would actually pick up a mills and boons book would never pick up another of this author's book her writing is very very bad! I also after reading them was so disappointed as I was expecting something far greater it was such a let down. money thrown away or what?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭WhyGoBald

Interesting article on why Fifty Shades... is so popular. http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/07/27/why-are-women-devouring-fifty-shades-of-grey/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Christian Grey is, by all accounts, an obsessive, controlling, abusive partner. With a large wallet and some good looks. The message in these books is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭flowerchild

I have not read any of the series, but it does seem to have an elegant pulled back cover. Not the normal embarrassing torn bodice look of traditional romance literature. Could a more adult look and positioning have affected audience acceptance and sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Unrealistic, sex scene threw in to fill space, extremely repetitive. I really tried to get into this but just couldn't.

I just find it funny when people who wouldn't usually touch a book let alone read one suddenly runs out and buys the whole series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Let me sum it up.
    Oh im so modest and clumsy and quite ordinary but all the boys love me.
    Oh christian, hes so arrogant.
    Oh anastasia don't hurt yourself.
    OH christian, my 50 shades.
    Oh Anastasia here is a mac and blackberry, dont ever leave me.
    Oh christian i wouldnt ever leave you.
    Oh ana, i want to beat you.
    oh christian, im not hungry.
    oh ana, you must eat. i need you to be healthy while i watch you sleep.
    oh christian can i touch you?
    FREAKOUT!

Book 2:
    ana you said you would never leave me
    christian, im now a nympho and completely harmless to boot
    ana my mother has a hard on for you
    christian, im just so plain, ms kate is the pretty one.
    ana are you eating
    christian ill have some granola

now im bored, you get the jist and yaaaah, i read all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No interest in the thing at all. Was highly amused about the talk of a film, the first real hollywood type of its sort... Because the secretary doesnt exist apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The best review of 50 Shades EVER! :)

And there's a word count.
    "Oh My" - 79
    "Crap" - 101
    "Jeez" - 82
    "Holy (shít/fúck/crap/hell/cow/moses)" - 172
    "Whoa" - 13
    "Gasp" - 34
    "Gasps" - 11
    "Sharp Intake of Breath" - 4
    "Murmur" - 68
    "Murmurs" - 139
    "Whisper" - 96
    "Whispers" - 103
    "Mutter" - 28
    "Mutters" - 23
    "Fifty" - 16
    "Lip" - 71
    "Inner goddess" - 58
    "Subconscious" - 82

But to answer the OP's question, I think there are several reasons:

1. Marketing
    2. It appeals to people who don't read for pleasure
    3. It was available on e-readers so the books could be read anywhere discreetly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well I read a column that was saying that the book was product of today's capitalistic society. In essence it the relationship between protagonists is the same as exploitation and enslavement of workers by greedy capitalist overlords. It almost reminded me of the good old times and the texts I had to read when studying. :D

Those books are bad but it is even worse when they are taken seriously. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

There is far more obsession about the popularity of the book, rather than the book itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Myself and several friends are on an Anti-Grey Protest i.e. we won't read this trilogy, as it sounds like the books were very badly written - repetitive - and the story line sounds so, so, familiar?!* I realised that when I asked a colleague for a summary of the story line.

So - if you ever read Jilly Coopers, "Riders" or "Rivals" - or Julie Burchill's "Ambition" these were viewed as explicit/raunchy at the time. Also, sounds like there are bits of "Pretty Woman" and "Nine and a Half Weeks" thrown in - and if there was any doubt as to where the story line came from -watch "The Secretary" - with Maggie Gyllenahall and James Spader. I've just lifted a synopsis of that film from Wikepedia - you will laugh when you read the main character's surname - and the basic story line.

FROM WIKEPEDIA:
    "Lee Holloway (Maggie Gyllenhaal), the socially awkward and emotionally sensitive youngest daughter of a dysfunctional family, adjusts to normal life after having been hospitalized following an incident of dangerous self-harm. She learns to type, starts to date an acquaintance from high school named Peter, and begins to work as a secretary for an eccentric attorney, E. Edward Grey (James Spader), who hires her despite her stilted social skills and unprofessional appearance.

Though at first Grey appears highly irritated by Lee's typos and other innocuous mistakes, it soon becomes apparent that he is sexually aroused by her submissive behavior. After he confronts her about her propensity for self-injury and commands that she never hurt herself again, the two embark on a BDSM relationship. Lee experiences a sexual and personal awakening, and she falls deeply in love. Edward, however, displays insecurity concerning his feelings for Lee, and he shows shame and disgust over his sexual habits. After a sexual encounter in his office, he fires Lee.
    During this period of exploration with Edward, Lee has also been attempting to have a normal boyfriend in Peter, played by Jeremy Davies, even engaging in lukewarm sex with him. After Lee is fired from her job, Peter proposes to Lee, who reluctantly agrees to marry him. However, while trying on her wedding gown she leaves and runs to Edward's office where she declares her love for him. Edward, still uncertain about their relationship, tests Lee by commanding her to sit in his chair without moving her hands or feet until he returns. Lee eagerly complies. Days pass, as Peter, family members, and acquaintances individually visit Lee to alternately attempt to dissuade or encourage her. After three days, Edward returns to the office and takes Lee to his apartment where he bathes and nurtures her. The pair marry and happily continue their dominant-submissive relationship. " END

See what I mean - very, very familiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I think the difference being that Secretary was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

panda100 wrote: »

It is striking that nobody seems interested in answering the question posed by the OP. There's plenty of sniggering, condescension and literary critique of what is, by any measure, a novel of limited literary value - but why is it so popular?

I say that it is popular because it appeals to a very arousing female fantasy - that of being dominated by and submissive to a male within a physical relationship, a consensual and non-abusive relationship.

As a fantasy it only works for both partners if they have equal respect for one another - only then will both partners be comfortable in playing out the fantasy. I also suspect that for most couples the reality of the fantasy extends no further than the man taking more control during lovemaking, but who knows where the imagination flies in those moments?

I'm not suggesting that this is what is precisely what is portrayed in the book, but the story is sufficiently close to this fantasy to generate the frisson that it has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's p0rn for people who haven't had sex with the lights on in years. That's it. No great mystery. Also one for people who only read one book a year, just to reassure themselves that they still can...

Advertisement