Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Reserve Disbanded on the quiet by the DoD over the weekend?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

As I recall there was some provision - possibly in the Defence Act - that specified that members of the reserve could not serve outside the state.

i remember that - somebody quoted it: from recall you could remove the word 'not' from one clause and the legalities would be sorted...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's a fair question, but I would never consider the PDF. The RDF was an opportunity whilst I was in full-time education, but I would consider the PDF to be a complete waste of my potential. The PDF is for many a waste of time, and maybe a misuse of the utility of Ireland's military potential. Few educated men or women would settle for the mediocrity of the PDF when there are so many better options available. The guys and girls I served with in the RDF often went on to working in high-tech, the arts, the UN, governement and business. I honestly think that the question should be why does the talent go RDF and not PDF.

I recall going on an FCA/RDF platoon in attack exercise as a section commander. My section included an aeronautical engineer, a computer technician, a girl with a degree in linguistics (and a couple of european languages) one of the privates was a foreman in a construction company the platoon Sergeant was/is an Intensive Care Nurse. I am pretty sure there were a few more with 3rd level quals. We also had mechanics and carpenters with all the certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

That's pointlessly demeaning language. The PDF is a real job, and a good one

That's a fair question, but I would never consider the PDF. The RDF was an opportunity whilst I was in full-time education, but I would consider the PDF to be a complete waste of my potential. The PDF is for many a waste of time, and maybe a misuse of the utility of Ireland's military potential. Few educated men or women would settle for the mediocrity of the PDF when there are so many better options available. The guys and girls I served with in the RDF often went on to working in high-tech, the arts, the UN, governement and business. I honestly think that the question should be why does the talent go RDF and not PDF.

Pot, kettle, black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Pot, kettle, black

It's not a contrary statement. If, for example, you want to work on radio technology, then the PDF, where you will only ever be an end-user, is a waste of your time. This is not true in all armies, many of whom do actively engage in R&D with contractors. If you aim for the highest levels in any field, law, business, fitness, technology, military sports, even weapons, the PDF has little to nothing to offer. There are many people in the RDF (and who are potential recruits for the RDF) whose civilian skillsets dwarf those available in the DF now.

That doesn't mean that the PDF isn't a real job - it is, and it's a good one if you want to soldier. There are lots of qualifications you can get on the DF's dime, but nothing you can't get outside faster and without the military politics.

Advertisement