Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that happened while playing football as a kid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭marshmallowx

Running outside durin World cup 94 thinking u were ray haughton practising your bicycle kicks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

World Cup - One goal keeper, and either one on one or two on two trying to score on that goal keeper.

Kick the can - In the absence of a football of course, a can could be substituted.

Toe Bogging

During team picks when it came down to the last two, and you preyed you wouldn't be the last pick just because it made you feel a little more happier knowing that YOU weren't the last one picked. Doesn't matter if you were second last :p

That one guy in your class that was really good at football and everyone treated him like a professional footballer. He'd be the first pick no matter what. If there was a coin toss between the two team pickers, the guy that lost would just say "You're picking Andy right?" And of course he'd have the pick the second best footballer in the class.

Playing football with your mates in the park or a green, and then another group of guys turns up and challenges you to a football match. It then stops being just a game, and turns into a battle of honor :D.

Girls were trusted very little by the boys, if there was a girl on the team in school or something during PE. You'd pass the ball to her at least once or twice during the game, just to let her feel like she was on the team and doing something, or because the teacher told you to include the girl. But the rest of the time you acted like she was invisible. If you passed the ball to her during the match, and she lost it to the other team, you treated her like she scored an own goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Toe bogging?

Known as toe pegging around here, midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I remember one time we were all playing and the ring leader called a halt to the game to go in and watch neighbours. He actually ended up a well enough known league of Ireland player too!

Anyone who 'top toed' was a cheater...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Used to use cars as goals as kid playing on my road.
    Tire of one car on one side road and tire of another on other side ha.

House was on a cul de sac so some days most the cars would vanish during the day and u would have to keep moving your goals !! :pac:

We used to have the cars wrecked i knocked the front grill off a Volvo one day with one of those rock hard fecking orange balls!!! Nearly **** meself stuck it back on sure ha.

Ball going under the car was a pain the arse as well someone would have to lie on the road and get under the car lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

^^That reminds me. Playing football on the road, and shouting "Car!" when a car was coming and having to pause the game. Then you start all over again. Some guys I played with used to try and trick people by shouting car, and then steal the ball when you stop. Until we copped on of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Toe bogging?

Known as toe pegging around here, midlands
    Bulltoe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Red ass: Heads and volleys with consequences. 5 goals and all the outfield players got to smash the ball at the keepers ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Playing for about 3 hours straight. Score of around 27-19 "NEXT GOAL IS THE WINNER"

Jumpers as posts causing fierce arguments. "It hit the left of it and would of went in" "No way man, it clearly hit the middle and came back out!"

• Advertisement

No snibbing lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sliding tackles that would probably be a criminal offence these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Heads and Volleys? did noone call it Skills? jesus, I feel like some loner in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

the score being 93-89 and barely being make out your team mates in the dwindling light and pleading with you da for just 5 more minutes after him wandering down to see where you were at 11 o clock at night

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wembley? No, World Cup.

Heads/Nods and Volleys? No, Crosses and volleys.

Toe bog/Toe peg/Bull toe? No, toe poke.

There, that's that cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wembley? No, World Cup.

Toe poke, wha?? Bull toe. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wembley? No, World Cup.

Crosses and volleys makes no sense.

It's called nods/heads and volleys because you can only score with a header/volley, you can't score with a cross :pac:

Reminds me of an awful (funny) joke... What's the first sign of soccer in the bible?

When jesus went for the cross and got nailed

(well I though was funny.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Nulty wrote: »
    Red ass: Heads and volleys with consequences. 5 goals and all the outfield players got to smash the ball at the keepers ass.
    Is that not how all games of nods and volleys end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Being a goalpost. :D

One lad, who was taking a penalty, saying to my brother, (while I'm functioning as a goalpost) if the ball hits me in the head it's not his fault.

Playing a game of kerbs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Game of Wembley

One goal and keeper, score a goal and you go into the next round, last man eliminated

Hours of fun and brutally competitive,

How it got that name I don't know
    We used to call that one "World Cup", and had "World Cup doubles" (two-man teams) when there were enough to play it. Had to win by two in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Having 'skill' was the big thing. Funny really when you look at it, can you imagine street footy in Brazil.:eek:

Interesting fact that I learn't recently. Football initially was a white sport in Brazil, when the blacks were allowed to participate a rule was put in place that stated that no black could physically touch a white person, hence a generation of great Black dribblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Saying "it's not my ball" when you can't be arsed chasing the ball down the hill after sending it wide

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous

Classic, loved Ron Manager. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Wallball- awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Riddle101 wrote: »
    World Cup - One goal keeper, and either one on one or two on two trying to score on that goal keeper.

Kick the can - In the absence of a football of course, a can could be substituted.

Toe Bogging

During team picks when it came down to the last two, and you preyed you wouldn't be the last pick just because it made you feel a little more happier knowing that YOU weren't the last one picked. Doesn't matter if you were second last :p

That one guy in your class that was really good at football and everyone treated him like a professional footballer. He'd be the first pick no matter what. If there was a coin toss between the two team pickers, the guy that lost would just say "You're picking Andy right?" And of course he'd have the pick the second best footballer in the class.

Playing football with your mates in the park or a green, and then another group of guys turns up and challenges you to a football match. It then stops being just a game, and turns into a battle of honor :D.

Girls were trusted very little by the boys, if there was a girl on the team in school or something during PE. You'd pass the ball to her at least once or twice during the game, just to let her feel like she was on the team and doing something, or because the teacher told you to include the girl. But the rest of the time you acted like she was invisible. If you passed the ball to her during the match, and she lost it to the other team, you treated her like she scored an own goal.

Second pick gets two picks.

Occasionally you would get someone playing in a baseball cap for the sole purpose of taking it off and holding it in their hand while going for a header to look cool.

We played 3 player leagues like world cup with one in goals and one on one outfield first to five. Needless to say there were some very dubious goal keeping displays as the league table began to take shape and it might suit the keeper better if a certain player took the points.

Playing on the local GAA pitch and having to keep an eye and start picking the ball up and kicking points if one of local old lads stuck his head in the gate to see what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Dog p1sses on my jumper/goalpost...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nearest to the post didnt have to be a Goalie in world cup/heads and vollys.

Red ars* for the loser from about 2 foot out.

Who ever kicked the ball over the wall had to get it.

No blastys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Corvo

Roaring a players name like a commentator as you volleyed the ball

ZIDDDAAAANNNE!

Advertisement